• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolution

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Unfortunately, I feel like the amount of emphasis on Mega Evolution in Pok?mon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (US/UM) will be identical to the amount of emphasis that was in Pok?mon Sun/Moon.. Granted, US/UM already had a lot to focus on - Ultra Beasts, Alolan forms/regional-variant forms, and Zenryoku (Z) Moves. Nevertheless, more Mega Evolutions would be a nice surprise; I hope that US/UM has all existing Mega Stones within the game itself - the "event-exclusive/downloadable content (DLC) implementation that was present in SM was just horrid, ridiculous, and unnecessary nonsense, although I somewhat understand why it was done - money, and faux-extension of SM's longevity as a currently-talked-about game. Never mind the Mega Stones that had costly Battle Point prices..

Honestly , I prefer Megevolution over Z-move.
    Z-move is just a fancy move you can only use for one turn and it might fail.
    While Megevolution is something you can use for the entire battle as it can upgrade user type , ability and star.

While Z-Moves may fail due to some type immunity interaction or absorptive Ability or some other ill-fated circumstance, I feel like their chance of failing is rather low, particularly since they bypass the move Protect..? And Mega Evolution can still be rendered utterly useless at times.. (as in, a Pok?mon getting knocked out before it even gets the chance to properly Mega-Evolve. Or, a Pok?mon getting defeated right as it Mega Evolves - Pok?mon used Ice Beam; Mega Sceptile fainted!). Anyhoo, I like both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves; they both have their place in the long list of Pok?mon tactics (I wish that they could be combined somehow, though!)

There's just too much to focus on imo. Since we already have Z-Crystals, Alolan forms, Ultra Beasts, and now what appears to be new legendary fusions/forms, I doubt Mega Evolutions would fit well into the storyline alongside these. I'm guessing it will be similar to SM in that they get a small plot in the postgame.

This.

Fusion wasn't Gen5's thing. That only came out for B2W2. That's like saying alternate forms were Gen4's thing, but it only started in Platinum, DP's third version, although started in Gen2's Unowns and Gen3's Deoxys.
    Also, Solgaleo and Lunala aren't fusing with Necrozma in those screenshots. They only look like they are wearing part of Necrozma's body, seemingly like armor, and fans are pointing out of Necrozma's ability called Prism Armor.
    So yeah, it's not fusion. :V

Regarding fusion being "Generation 5's 'thing'", while it isn't exclusive to Generation 5 (similar to fixed and transient form changing from the generations that you mentioned), I feel like it is still heavily associated with Generation 5 due to heavy promotion (particularly with Kyurem showcasing fusion twice as a mascot, since Pok?mon Black 1/White 1 don't really have a noted battle gimmick of their own, and since it drives part of the lore/plot (the Original Dragon stuff and Kyurem's 2 "Absofusions".

As for the newfound "Necrozma armor" for Solgaleo and Lunala, I guess it depends on how one defines the concept of "fusion" - particularly whether the armor is even Necrozma itself or just black prisms that coincidentally happen to resemble Necrozma.. And if the armor is actually Necrozma itself, is Necrozma still sentient in that form or not? (I personally believe that the armor is Necrozma itself who might be still sentient, but we'll see..)

I would argue that the "Necrozma parts" can at the very least be defined as a union with Solgaleo and Lunala. While they do appear to manifest more as armor and not necessarily as a biological fusion, some parts look embedded in the body, like the things on Solgaleo's claws - with the embedding, to me, resembling things like artificial limbs/grafts, implanted dentures, and ocular (eye) implants, all of which may be said to be biologically fused with someone's main body. If things like Slowbro/Slowking (basically a morphed Shellder biting onto Slowpoke's tail or head) and Magneton (basically 3 Magnemite floating in near/close proximity in each other, probably with something like augmented electromagnetic and/or intermolecular forces and all that jazz) can be regarded as fusions, I don't see why the physically-touching Necrozma-parts of the cosmic duo can't be considered as fusions, either..

The Necrozma-armored forms kind of remind me of the Bio-merging transformations/process from Digimon Tamers (which manifests as a sentient kid in a bubble with huge sentient monster-based body armor), as well as the formation of the Red Ranger Battilizers from Power Rangers SPD (armor made from a semi-sentient dismembered robotic dog) and Power Rangers Mystic Force (armor made from a sentient dragon). In those cases, everything is synergistically fused if not biologically fused - the Mystic Force example is probably the best, since you have a sentient biological dragon acting as technological armor similarly to what it looks like Necrozma will do in US/UM. Additionally, some of Necrozma's parts are interlocking with Solgaleo and Lunala - if they were machines, I think few people would hesitate to call the resulting unified entity a "fusion"..

In any case, with Necrozma alone, it seems like US/UM will have their hands full to focus on Mega Evolution properly. I just hope that Mega Evolution doesn't become deprecated in the near future as a gimmick - it's a perfectly usable mechanic that has room for improvement, and it has had a lot of time dedicated to promoting it already. No need to toss all of that effort to the wayside. Admittedly, it would be nice if the number of items involved with Mega Evolution could be reduced, because the sheer amount of items that need to be sustained across generations is getting to be ridiculous now..

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I am wondering if USUM can introduce something similar as Mega evolution.
    Such as : Z-form or Ultra evolution.
    After all , We did saw the player twitching the Z-Crystal of his Z-ring.
    I really really don't want it to be some fancy way to use Z-Move! I prefer it to be a evolution trigger.

While Z-Moves may fail due to some type immunity interaction or absorptive Ability or some other ill-fated circumstance, I feel like their chance of failing is rather low, particularly since they bypass the move Protect..? And Mega Evolution can still be rendered utterly useless at times.. (as in, a Pok?mon getting knocked out before it even gets the chance to properly Mega-Evolve. Or, a Pok?mon getting defeated right as it Mega Evolves - Pok?mon used Ice Beam; Mega Sceptile fainted!). Anyhoo, I like both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves; they both have their place in the long list of Pok?mon tactics (I wish that they could be combined somehow, though!)

All those risk apply to Z-moves as well , Even more then Megevolution.
    The Pokemon might get down before it uses Z-move
    Or The Z-move might not do as much as damege you excepted and get taken down in the next turn.
    Or Z-move might just fail.
    Lets se honest that Z-move are way to risky and less useful then Megevolution.
    I mean , Would you like to Mega Lucario with adaptability or Regular Lucario with All out Pumelling ? Because A Mega Lucario with his Adaptability would be far more useful.

Last edited:

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Was that a serious question? Iirc, burst is pokemon to humans.

Again, I don't see Solgaleo and Lunala fusing with Necrozma. As per your first example with Gen5, look at Kyurem's fusion forms. They look too different from original Kyurem, don't you agree? Now look at USUM's Solgaleo and Lunala. Not much difference, yes? They are, again, looking like they're wearing parts of Necrozma's body armor.

As for what we will call this new USUM cover legendary forms, I don't know.
    latest

latest

latest

latest

QefMdi51RWWCDInf5h7Img.png

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I do understand you since it's a generation I love and I feel it gets shoved aside too much when it comes to receiving fancy new features.

Sadly that's because they're fairly new. It doesn't help that Gen VI and this one didn't even give any of its mons cross-gen evolutionary lines (Only region whose introduced mons don't have any. Gens I,II, and III got various throughout the following gens. And Gen IV had a lot of mons who were evolutions of mons from those past gens. Even VI had Sylveon...)). Currently both V and VI only have one Mega... and it might stay that way until Gen VIII (which tend to introduce more evolution related stuff than the odd ones).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't think so, Mega evolution seems like an afterthought now and it'll probably stay that way since its all about Zmoves/power this gen.

That's true. It would be cool if GF linked the two. It's theorized that the Z-Crystals are connected to the ultra dimension by Kukui. And the energy that comes from it reminds me of Infinite Energy which is connected to Mega Evolutions and Primals.

pkmin3033

Honestly, I like the idea that Z-Crystals are unique to the reality where Mega Evolution doesn't exist, rather than something from Ultra Space, given that you can't use Z-Crystals with Mega Evolved Pokemon. There are some interesting similarities between the two they could easily link together in USUM if they wanted to, though. Unfortunately, since the Mega Evolution was Gen VI's gimmick and was more or less wrapped up with ORAS, it seems unlikely it'll feature in USUM at all...

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I think that Game Freak is trying to move away from Mega evolution. They've got some issues Mega's. It's a nightmare for Pokédesigners, because they need to design a new Pokémon every time for a Mega evolution. This restricts the number of Pokémon that can Mega evolve and it makes it a bit unfair for Pokémon that can't Mega evolve. While, Z-moves are much more fair, every Pokémon can use it. And it doesn't require extra Pokémon designs.

pkmin3033

I think that Game Freak is trying to move away from Mega evolution. They've got some issues Mega's. It's a nightmare for Pokédesigners, because they need to design a new Pokémon every time for a Mega evolution. This restricts the number of Pokémon that can Mega evolve and it makes it a bit unfair for Pokémon that can't Mega evolve. While, Z-moves are much more fair, every Pokémon can use it. And it doesn't require extra Pokémon designs.
    The problem with your theory here is that Game Freak are making Alola forms of old Pokemon...and from a design perspective at least, isn't that essentially the same thing? In fact, Alolan forms are MORE work because, with the exception of Raichu, Exeggcutor, and Marowak, the Alolan form Pokemon introduced in SM are all multi-stage.

I agree from a gameplay perspective Z-Moves are fairer and generally more balanced than Mega Evolutions...but I don't think design has anything to do with why Game Freak are moving away from Mega Evolution.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Honestly , I think that its unfair that some pokemon got megevoution while other didn't.
    Specially among starter pokemons!
    Also , Exclusive Z-move does not make up for megevolution.
    Just think , Who is more useful ? Mega charizard X with Touch claw ability that gain dragon typing and star boost Or Incineroar with Moonlight Assault that he can use only once in one turn against only one target.
    Basically , It like determining Kento and Hoenn starter to be superior then every other starter Pokemon since they can Megevolve.
    Not to mention that they can still use all other Z-move without megevolving except the one exclusive to sudden pokemon.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I would love new mega evolutions and new Alola forms. One thing that would be cool is if they did Alola form mega evolutions and I really want Luxray to get a mega or an Alolan form or both. However it is definitely not likely. They didn't add anything new to previous generations themes in a new generation. We are probably only gonna see mega beasts, Alolan forms, and everything else introduced in S/M. That doesn't mean it isn't impossible though and maybe if we pray to Arceus we will get new megas.

-----------

pokemon fusion was a 5th gen thing, but alas we now have a blade liger
    2.jpg

Just being nitpicky but it's not a liger. It's just a metal sun lion. The stripes it has don't look like a tigers and thus don't warrent being called a liger. But it doesn't matter if I think that just what you think.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would love new mega evolutions and new Alola forms. One thing that would be cool is if they did Alola form mega evolutions and I really want Luxray to get a mega or an Alolan form or both. However it is definitely not likely. They didn't add anything new to previous generations themes in a new generation. We are probably only gonna see mega beasts, Alolan forms, and everything else introduced in S/M. That doesn't mean it isn't impossible though and maybe if we pray to Arceus we will get new megas.

-----------

Just being nitpicky but it's not a liger. It's just a metal sun lion. The stripes it has don't look like a tigers and thus don't warrent being called a liger. But it doesn't matter if I think that just what you think.
    ZeUJbe4.png

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    As much as I loved Megalutions, I don't think they'll make them more prominent, nor introduce new ones, unfortunately :\

I really loved Megalutions and thought they were a really great concept in Gen VI, but the fact TPCi banned Megalutions in VGC, pretty much speaks for itself, and their stance of Megalutions this generation. Sadly :|

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Much as I would love to see a Mega Milotic I don't think we'll be getting any new Mega Evolutions any time soon.

They absolutely should have all Mega Stones available in game this time though instead of most of the Gen 1 ones and a handful of others. The idea of holding many of the Megas back to give them as borderline events for the online competitions was stupid as was the fact many of the most popular ones are still unavailable. There is no excuse in holding back that many Megas. Most of us are still waiting for Hoenn starters Mega Stones and even longer for Gardevoirs. Maybe Game Freak think Megas were a bad idea but at least let us use them not waiting nearly a year for them.

Years
  • As the last couple of posts showed, it's pretty much safe to say Game Freak hit the final nail in the coffin for Mega Evolution.

Years
  • I do admit making some Mega Stones event-only was a bad decision by Game Freak. Just because something's not in the Alola Dex doesn't mean you can try to erase it completely.

Game Freak were literally going too far by the meaning of regional Pokedex this generation.

Back