• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolutions Discussion and Speculation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • I love MegaAmpharos. It's such a rich source of memes...Serebii in todays Pokémon of the Week had a mention of it under Altaria's page xD (saying it took it's wings and used them to make it's hair and gain the Dragon type...)

Hopefully there'll be another memetastic Mega.

Years
  • Mega or regular evolution?

What do you prefer more, getting a mega evolution or a regular one?

To be blunt, from the first announcement I wasn't thrill about mega evolutions, and when I saw the changes caused by mega evolution I told myself: "This is crap!"
    I believe this (mega evolutions) came up as a way to break routine, which is a great thing to aim for after so many games that build on the same idea, but was badly executed for couple of reasons...

Anyway, what would you prefer?
    Mega evolution, a regular one to a known Pokemon (what is "old Pokemon"?) or a new Pokemon with 1\2 evolutions?

I say cut the mega crap, leave the old ones alone and give us new Pokemons with two evolutions each and that's it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    To be honest, I think Mega Evolution is just the same as evolution, but with "mega" in front of it. People get mad about it, but I think it is really cool. I have always loved when gf added new evolutions to old pokemon, and this really gives them an opportunity to do so. I always drew "stage 3" evolutions to existing pokemon for the lulz, so I really think it is a dream comming true. I mean, you can't deny that mega evolutions to Absol and Mawile just complete their designs, making them the pokemon they should've been in the first place.

Years
  • To be honest, I think Mega Evolution is just the same as evolution, but with "mega" in front of it. People get mad about it, but I think it is really cool. I have always loved when gf added new evolutions to old pokemon, and this really gives them an opportunity to do so. I always drew "stage 3" evolutions to existing pokemon for the lulz, so I really think it is a dream comming true. I mean, you can't deny that mega evolutions to Absol and Mawile just complete their designs, making them the pokemon they should've been in the first place.
    My main problem with the mega evolutions is that they are kinda cheap. The Pokemon ain't that different from his previews form like it evolves half-way and stop.

Years
  • My main problem with the mega evolutions is that they are kinda cheap. The Pokemon ain't that different from their previous form like it evolves half-way and stops.

Well I see the name as being symbolic of the change...the name didn't change beyond the addition of Mega and likewise the looks don't change all that much besides additions. Thus far MegaMewtwo Y has been the most different, which makes it a favorite of mine ^_^. I do like the ones with small changes though like Kanghaskhan, and Ampharos (this one provided us with a lot of memes).

Years
  • Well I see the name as being symbolic of the change...the name didn't change beyond the addition of Mega and likewise the looks don't change all that much besides additions. Thus far MegaMewtwo Y has been the most different, which makes it a favorite of mine ^_^. I do like the ones with small changes though like Kanghaskhan, and Ampharos (this one provided us with a lot of memes).
    Apart from the physical changes it's pushing too much, in my opinion, into being a copy of the Digimon franchise.
    But you know what, if they'll present it properly in the Anime, give it a really good build like they do every time they create a story to a new legendary Pokemon (in the Mange it's just awesome!), then it might own the idea and work. For that I'll admit that regardless of what I think at the moment, it's too soon to judge.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • My main problem with the mega evolutions is that they are kinda cheap. The Pokemon ain't that different from his previews form like it evolves half-way and stop.

I'm assuming you're solely basing your opinion on the appearances of the Pokemon, yes?

Do realize that Mega Evolutions are not actual evolutions, but simply a method that GameFreak has created to give certain Pokemon a way to battle differently and, in the process, become more viable options amongst the games' more competitive players.

Mega Evolutions aren't meant to look drastically different because they are not actual evolutions.

Years
  • Apart from the physical changes it's pushing too much, in my opinion, into being a copy of the Digimon franchise.
    But you know what, if they'll present it properly in the Anime, give it a really good build like they do every time they create a story to a new legendary Pokemon (in the Mange it's just awesome!), then it might own the idea and work. For that I'll admit that regardless of what I think at the moment, it's too soon to judge.
    I don't think it's pushing too much into Digimon territory...just yet. It's not like there's warp Evolution into Megas xD.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I Like this as a Mega Evolution Idea

Spoiler:

A small change, like stepping out of one's shell, which dramatically changes the battle properties of a pokemon. Mega Kangaskhan also does this. She doesn't change, she just changes the way she fights.

I love some Megas, and the idea that you only get ONE of these extra powerful mons on your team. Imagine if you had to choose Salamance OR Garchomp instead of having a whole team of Uber-Dragons.

Years
  • I Like this as a Mega Evolution Idea

Spoiler:

A small change, like stepping out of one's shell, which dramatically changes the battle properties of a pokemon. Mega Kangaskhan also does this. She doesn't change, she just changes the way she fights.

I love some Megas, and the idea that you only get ONE of these extra powerful mons on your team. Imagine if you had to choose Salamance OR Garchomp instead of having a whole team of Uber-Dragons.
    I actually want that as a Mega Evolution :3!

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I got some mechanic changes info for you guys. This is from a Japanese interview about X & Y. The translated post is on Bulbagarden (can't post the link now)

1. Pokémon gain experience even when the opposing wild Pokémon is caught. (This was stated in another interview.)
    2. Sky Battles are limited to Flying-type Pokémon and those with the Levitate ability (as previously confirmed). Some moves can't be used.
    3. There is an adjustment to the inheritence system of breeding.
    4. Ghost-type Pokemon can freely escape from battle without being influenced by Shadow Tag. (The official website mentioned trapping moves.)
    5. The item Exp.Share will revert to Exp.All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.
    6. When distributing new moves and abilities, priority was given to new Pokémon.
    7. The CGI style is different from that of Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Battle Revolution, because those games were supposed to emulate "realism within fantasy". Since the handheld Pokémon series is supposed to be accessible to everyone, battles were made "cuter".
    8. The standard selection process for Pokémon to be Mega-Evolvable is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance.
    9. The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.
    10. The timing to Mega-Evolve is selectable.

Most of it is already known, but there's some interesting info there like Megas being as strong as Legendaries, so this is not a simple form change.

Years
  • I got some mechanic changes info for you guys. This is from a Japanese interview about X & Y. The translated post is on Bulbagarden (can't post the link now)

1. Pokémon gain experience even when the opposing wild Pokémon is caught. (This was stated in another interview.)
    2. Sky Battles are limited to Flying-type Pokémon and those with the Levitate ability (as previously confirmed). Some moves can't be used.
    3. There is an adjustment to the inheritence system of breeding.
    4. Ghost-type Pokemon can freely escape from battle without being influenced by Shadow Tag. (The official website mentioned trapping moves.)
    5. The item Exp.Share will revert to Exp.All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.
    6. When distributing new moves and abilities, priority was given to new Pokémon.
    7. The CGI style is different from that of Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Battle Revolution, because those games were supposed to emulate "realism within fantasy". Since the handheld Pokémon series is supposed to be accessible to everyone, battles were made "cuter".
    8. The standard selection process for Pokémon to be Mega-Evolvable is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance.
    9. The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.
    10. The timing to Mega-Evolve is selectable.

Most of it is already known, but there's some interesting info there like Megas being as strong as Legendaries, so this is not a simple form change.
    So it is based on popularity...and looks. Now I wonder how having Mega Mewtwo (a legendary) will balance things out...unless the purpose of MegaMewtwo is for it to rival Arceus or BW Kyurem formes.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Yeah, I imagine Mewtwo wouldn't get a boost as big as the normal pokemon since he's already legendary, but even with a small boost Mewtwo could end being the strongest Uber. Also Im actually kinda sad that these pokemon will be that powerful, I don't want to see most of them go to Ubers <--(Doesn't like Ubers)

Years
  • Yeah, I imagine Mewtwo wouldn't get a boost as big as the normal pokemon since he's already legendary, but even with a small boost Mewtwo could end being the strongest Uber. Also Im actually kinda sad that these pokemon will be that powerful, I don't want to see most of them go to Ubers <--(Doesn't like Ubers)
    Well Blaziken and Mewtwo were Ubers last generation so they won't be going anywhere but moving around in the tier itself to being Uber amongst Uber...
    Also remember not all legendary level Pokemon are Uber...

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Yeah I understand some of them won't be Uber like MegaCharizard. What I'm not sure of its what level of legendary they mean cause there is a significant difference between legendaries like Jirachi and legendaries like Zekrom (stat wise).

Atmageth

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Im really hoping Sceptile and Swampert get mega evolutions, it doesn't seem fair if only Blaziken gets one. Plus they could make Sceptile part dragon, and that would be gloooorius!

Years
  • Im really hoping Sceptile and Swampert get mega evolutions, it doesn't seem fair if only Blaziken gets one. Plus they could make Sceptile part dragon, and that would be gloooorius!
    I agree they should give Sceptile the Dragon typing.

I think Absol and Mawile may be at the low end (600) while Blaziken, the Kanto starters and Ampharos will be at the higher end (680) Lucario maybe 670 as to reflect the stages they've had in evolution.

Atmageth

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    I agree they should give Sceptile the Dragon typing.

I think Absol and Mawile may be at the low end (600) while Blaziken, the Kanto starters and Ampharos will be at the higher end (680) Lucario maybe 670 as to reflect the stages they've had in evolution.

Yeah i feel like those two are gonna get the short end of the stick, but i also feel like Venasaur will join them. Something tells me the stat boost wont be so good for it, which is a shame as Venasaur is my fav Kanto starter (Team Bulbasaur!!!!!!!)

Years
  • I've got to say that originally I didn't like the idea of megalutions but it is growing on me, but I'm just wondering that because I'm sure that I've read somewhere that mega evolutions are something unique to kalos (obviously we know that true in relation to the games and anime up till now) but does this mean that they may not be in gen VII?

Back