• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
Years
  • Ah getting my togepi and being so excited just to see that it knows no attack moves, marching all the way up to tin tower to catch and end up killing him, going to mount silver to fight Red and losing EVERY SINGLE TIME!Wasting my masterball on a graveler in victory road, watching my eevee turn into umbreon, talking to that guy who gives you onix for bellsprout and being so excited to get him that early,running into Raikou on the way to olivine thinkin HOLY CRAP and than he runs away, getting ready to fight falkner with a team of geodude onix and cyndaquil just to find out all of his pokemon know mud slap, theres so many I came back and edited my post with more of them. Post here saying what you remember best about the old games. ..........Friggin Red.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You know what, with all the memory threads that are made, I'm going to sticky this one so that there's not a new one of these every month. It's going to apply to RBY and GSC, as well.

So, with that in mind...

RBY; Being afraid of Pidgey's eyes, being afraid of Blastoise and Golbat's sprites, being afraid of unidentified ghosts, being afraid of Pokemon Tower, being afraid of MissingNo., being afr-- well, you get the idea. Being afraid. Though I was scared out of my pants a lot, I still had loads of fun playing these games.

GSC; Being afraid of Ruins of Alph Cute Quilava, the first time my Eevee evolved into Umbreon after training it FOREVER, finally getting a Fire Stone, AND BEATING WHITNEY!

:D

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • You know what, with all the memory threads that are made, I'm going to sticky this one so that there's not a new one of these every month. It's going to apply to RBY and GSC, as well.
    Wow I was afraid this would get locked or something but instead it gets stickied, lol irony perhaps?

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Ahhh allow me to reminicse lol.

R/B/Y: Catching Pikachu in Viridian forest for the first time was awesome! I used Raichu against the E-4. Also I remember the thrill of hunting the birds, and finally confronting Mewtwo. i also remember how awesome Pidgets sprite was:p

G/S/C: Training my beloved Cyndaquil into an uber powerful Typhlosian:p. Beating Whitney like it was nothing! Catching Lugia on the first try in a matter of minutes. Beating Red the first time with a mid 50's team! Typhlosian took care of Pikachu with an earthquake real nice:p Chasing endlessly after the dogs... With no luck:C

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • GSC: Using my Master Ball on a Ditto 'cause I thought it was super rare. Teaching my Ursaring Zap Cannon 'cause I thought the idea of a giant bear that could shoot lightining was uber cool. Finally making it to Red after hours of playing, just to lose to him. I even had a level 90 Typhlosion. That's all for now.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I used to use Razor Leaf so much that it became the best attack I had. o.o

I used to scream and squeal whenever Silver would come out of the blue and fight me.

When Silver made fun of my character for falling into a hole, I wrote down his quote on a piece of paper and memorized it, laughing for hours.

For some reason, I could never beat Silver before going into Ilex Forest the first time around.

I remember I freaked out when I saw Lance for the first time.

I had a level 100 Maganium that I was highly attatched to. I wouldn't let anyone touch it.

I remember I was really excited that I could go to Kanto and that the Elite Four wasn't the end of the game, because I had never played R/B/Y before G/S/C.

I remember I loved Silver Cave. I would simply stop my character and listen to the Silver Cave music for as long as the battery let my GBC run.

I could go on and on, but I could write a novel on my many fond memories of G/S/C... But I don't really have any on R/B/Y, even though I played it all the time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I forgot to mention that I talked to Silver about 50 million times so that he'd keep pushing me away. ;D Did that in SoulSilver, too. Oh, nostalgia...~

It@chi Bl@st

Lone Trainer
    Years
  • I keep using the clone cheat in my Gold Version just to have a million Typhlosions and Nuggets.

I wonder if I can use that cheat again in Heart Gold.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nope, cloning past generation II can't be done. I never tried cloning, though. I'm too overprotective of my games, so I don't really do a lot of cheats/glitches.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Every time a Rocket Grunt saw me and I didn't see it and it's theme song came up without warning it would always scare me

Dinoyipi

whited out!
    Years
  • The first time I played Gold, when the police officer asked for my rival's name, I said his name was ??? XD

Years
  • RBY; Being afraid of Pidgey's eyes, being afraid of Blastoise and Golbat's sprites, being afraid of unidentified ghosts, being afraid of Pokemon Tower, being afraid of MissingNo., being afr-- well, you get the idea. Being afraid. Though I was scared out of my pants a lot, I still had loads of fun playing these games.
    LOL, this post is so FUNNY! XD I'll admit to being afraid of the unidentified ghosts. 'Gimme a break, I was like 9, maybe 10 years old?

Anyway,

RBY:

-I remember playing through the game with a total disregard of type matchups. But when you think about it, it's not that hard to beat the game with strictly your starter. I beat the majority of the game with just Charmander/Charizard.

-For a long time, I didn't realize that one of my favorite pokemon, Haunter, could evolve. I think I figured it out when that guy with Machoke (on the bike route) said something about pokemon evolving through trades, and then realizing that there was an empty dex number after Haunter. I didn't have another gameboy, so I borrowed my cousin's gameboy one day when I was at his house. I traded it and freaked out when it started evolving. Hence my love for Gengar! (and Alakazam. lol @ Machamp)

GSC:

-Freaking out when I saw the 3 legendary dog-- uh.....legendary...creatures in the burned tower
    -Freaking out when I caught Lugia. Ho-oh was....meh.
    -Freaking out when I caught Suicune
    -Freaking out when I found that little patch of grass in the Ruins of Alph that contains Smeargle<-------found it by myself!
    -Freaking out when I encountered Misdreavus
    -Freaking o--

You get the point. XD

Last edited:

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • Sorry guys no RBY for me, when I played them I was a little bit less stupid.

GSC:
    Being contestant at the bug contest hundreds of times to get a fire stone and when I won i got a moon stone....
    In my new save get one call from a schoolboy and get a firestone after playing 2 hours.
    My sister telling me that because I couldn't select my bike with select, team rocket had stolen it.
    Throwing my sisters masterball at an ekans. (and my sister trying to kill me)
    Trying to clone my pokemon at crystal and wondering what I was doing wrond.
    The music of the st.anna
    Getting up early because I could play longer.
    When my mom told me get away from that gameboy and play outside I sneaked my gameboy outside with me.
    crying at rolling credits.
    Finding out that there is another region.
    Dying because of schreech
    In a trip to france puking over my gameboy (sound never worked well after).
    Getting a Lugia of a guy I never seen after.
    Dying because of karen's gengar's curse.

You guys are gonna make me cry:').

Rest will be added later.

Years
  • When my mom told me get away from that gameboy and play outside I sneaked my gameboy outside with me.
    lol, I remember that I always took my gameboy with me everywhere (it's portable! that's the point of it!). My mother would say "You don't need to bring that with you. We're just going out to eat!"

Translation: "Please don't bring that with you. I can't get you to make eye-contact when you bring that thing. All I see of you these days is the top of your head."

I would just sneak it with me and take it out when it was too late to turn the car around. XD She would hear the game noise and just sigh. After awhile, she gave up trying to stop me from bringing it. And I made sure to make conversation when we were eating b/c that was the real issue.

"Uh-huh.....yup.....huh?.....oh.....What did I do today? I caught Zapdos. Oh you mean 'What did I do at school?' I dunno....hang on.....I'm trying to catch Chansey.....wait, what are you doing?!.....GIMME THAT!!! LEMME' SAVE, LEMME SAVE FIRST!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!"

And that was dinner. XD

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • "Uh-huh.....yup.....huh?.....oh.....What did I do today? I caught Zapdos. Oh you mean 'What did I do at school?' I dunno....hang on.....I'm trying to catch Chansey.....wait, what are you doing?!.....GIMME THAT!!! LEMME' SAVE, LEMME SAVE FIRST!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!"

With me that was not only dinner :'). Actually with diner I oftenly didn't bring it. But I did like everywhere else. The last 2 sentences made me laugh so bad, its very recognisable :)

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
  • I <3 this thread

Memories from Pokemon Red, my first game:
    --I hadn't watched the anime much, so games were all i had to go on. I thought geodude was some weird rubber ball thing with slicked-forward hair, and he was sort of like Fonzi giving the "AAAAYYYYY" gesture.
    --Thinking antidotes did the same thing as potions, but were just cheaper.
    --Squealing in delight upon seeing that Snorlax (nicknamed "FATTY") could learn Earthquake.
    --Hating the Safari Zone (bait --> "Wild XX is eating...you missed the pokemon!" --> "Well if it's eating then why isn't it standing still?!?!?") and getting so angry at the uselessness of bait that I just started throwing rocks at everything until it ran. Then Exeggcute refused to run. ("Oh, sure, NOW they stick around!!)
    --Wondering how Dugtrio can use slash w/o any hands or fingers. I decided "Well, there's three slash marks, maybe he uses his three heads!" But then that left Diglett unsolved. Oh well.
    --After catching Mewtwo and the legendary birds, going back to like Route 1 and obliterating a whole flock of Level 3 Pidgeys. IRL probably 5 of them would have died. "Zapdos used Thunder! It's super-effective! Enemy Pidgey fainted! Zapdos gained 24 experience points!"
    --Deciding the game narrator was always very excited, since every sentence ended in an exclamation point. "Enemy Caterpie used String Shot!" (calm down there, buddy)

In Crystal:
    --Getting thrown for a massive loop when Meowth's bite (in Goldenrod Gym) was normal effectiveness against my prized Geodude. "WAT??"
    --Taking days to figure out how to "wake up" Sudowoodo, and then another one trying to figure out why Quilava's fire attacks weren't super effective against this mysterious wood-type pokemon.
    --Trying to figure out how to use Kanto's Pokegear Pokeflute station in battles.
    --And, of course, trying to catch those mangy dogs that ran around the world in half a second. "Forget Lugia, I'm using my Master Ball on one of THESE giant pains!"
    --Trying to figure out (w/ no research) what pokemon would become the strongest. I said "Well, in Red, Magikarp was the most useless thing ever but evolved into an awesome Gyarados. What's the weakest thing in THIS generation?" I thought it was good logic at the time. You know who I raised until L50 waiting for it to evolve? SUNKERN. It was a seed and everything! I expected to get some massive tree out of it at some point. Way later on I find out it evolves by SUN STONE.

Last edited:

Pikachu™

Pika Pika!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    I remember when I first defeated the Elite 4 in Sliver. And then realised that every game had a champion.

olearye273

im English and i dont like tea
    Years
  • ahaha just one brilliant memory from playing silver:

trying literally 20 times to beat the electric gym then my friend gave me a lvl 5 sandshrew and it beat the whole gym as they only had electric attacks ! :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • lol, I remember that I always took my gameboy with me everywhere (it's portable! that's the point of it!). My mother would say "You don't need to bring that with you. We're just going out to eat!"

Translation: "Please don't bring that with you. I can't get you to make eye-contact when you bring that thing. All I see of you these days is the top of your head."

I would just sneak it with me and take it out when it was too late to turn the car around. XD She would hear the game noise and just sigh. After awhile, she gave up trying to stop me from bringing it. And I made sure to make conversation when we were eating b/c that was the real issue.

"Uh-huh.....yup.....huh?.....oh.....What did I do today? I caught Zapdos. Oh you mean 'What did I do at school?' I dunno....hang on.....I'm trying to catch Chansey.....wait, what are you doing?!.....GIMME THAT!!! LEMME' SAVE, LEMME SAVE FIRST!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!"

And that was dinner. XD

That sounds like a lovely dinner. xD I do that even now, whether it's DPPt or RBY games. Actually, I brought my Silver out to eat a few weeks ago (keep in mind, I'm 17, so it does look awkward) and I was just playing it while we were waiting on food. Don't remember what I did, but my step dad was giving me a death glare the entire time.

--I hadn't watched the anime much, so games were all i had to go on. I thought geodude was some weird rubber ball thing with slicked-forward hair, and he was sort of like Fonzi giving the "AAAAYYYYY" gesture.

He looks like the Fonz already. Look at that hair! Or whatever that is on his head...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back