• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • RBY:

- Being so proud of myself that my Bulbasaur had evolved into an Ivysaur - and then getting owned by a maybe level 10 Zubat in Mt.Moon
    Thoughts: "But Vine Whip was sooo strong all the time, why is it suddenly so weak?"
    "I need a Zubat, Zubat is sooo strong, it defeated my Ivysaur"

- Numerous losses against Misty's Starmie, again with Ivysaur

- Getting completely destroyed by a Dugtrio in Diglett's cave, again with Ivysaur

- Never starting with Bulbasaur again for a long time after Ivysaur had proven to fail at life (at least i thought so)

- I heard that Toxic was the best poison move. So i taught my Level 100 Nidoqueen Toxic, and tested it on something like a level 2 Rattata "What? How can that be the best poison move, that did pretty much NOTHING"

- "What? My Gameboy playing time for today is already over? But, that can't be"
    I was allowed to play 30 min/day back then...

- Rare Candy-ing a Lv.2 Rattata up to level 100 - which fainted against a 30ish Weezing used by some random biker on Cycling Road

- Almost beating a friend's >lv.200 Mewtwo with my 40-ish Sandslash on Stadium (he spammed low accuracy moves like blizzard, and i was extremely lucky that day)

GSC:

- "What? You're tellin' me there's no Missingno in this game? This means it's impossible to beat, how should i get my Pokemon to level 100 then?"

- Soloing half of the game with a Hypnosis+Nightmare Noctowl

- "Why do these things (I can't remember what i thought Raikou, Entei and Suicune to be back then) always run away, that makes it impossible to catch them w/o Master Ball, and you only get one Master Ball in the game"

- Thinking that Sudowoodo is a legendary

- Finding out that you can breed Sudowoodo

- "What? Still no Lugia Egg? But this worked with Sudowoodo, so it has to work with Lugia as well"

- "What? No Lorelei? Will? Who the ... is Will? Xatu? Wtf? No Dewgong?"

- "Outrage does sooo much damage, it's impossible to beat that Dragonite"

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh yeah. I used to wonder why I "whited out". I was like, "But this is Yellow version, so wouldn't I yellow out instead?" ...I still think it should be that way.

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    The first time I played Gold, when the police officer asked for my rival's name, I said his name was ??? XD

I did the same thing! I thought you was supposed to put that. xD

Years
  • --I hadn't watched the anime much, so games were all i had to go on. I thought geodude was some weird rubber ball thing with slicked-forward hair, and he was sort of like Fonzi giving the "AAAAYYYYY" gesture.
    :shocked: He DID look like Fonzi!
    --After catching Mewtwo and the legendary birds, going back to like Route 1 and obliterating a whole flock of Level 3 Pidgeys. IRL probably 5 of them would have died. "Zapdos used Thunder! It's super-effective! Enemy Pidgey fainted! Zapdos gained 24 experience points!"
    Extreme overkill right there! XD

--Getting thrown for a massive loop when Meowth's bite (in Goldenrod Gym) was normal effectiveness against my prized Geodude. "WAT??"
    Still doesn't make sense, actually. Then again, there were only a handful of dark type moves back then, so I never complained.
    --Taking days to figure out how to "wake up" Sudowoodo, and then another one trying to figure out why Quilava's fire attacks weren't super effective against this mysterious wood-type pokemon.
    I know, right? Since the first thing you think of to make a tree move is to spray it with water. *rolls eyes* XD

The first time I played Gold, when the police officer asked for my rival's name, I said his name was ??? XD
    LOL!

Officer: "Alright kid, so did he tell you his name?" *holding pen and clipboard*
    You: "Yeah, he said his name was ???"
    Officer: o_O "Uhhhhhh....... how do you spell that?"
    You: "Let's see....ummmm.....'?'....'?'.....'?'.... I think..."
    Officer: "Just three of those?"
    You: "Yes sir."
    Officer: *sigh* "Parents will name their kids anything these days."

Last edited:

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • Gym) was normal effectiveness against my prized Geodude. "WAT??"
    --Taking days to figure out how to "wake up" Sudowoodo, and then another one trying to figure out why Quilava's fire attacks weren't super effective against this mysterious wood-type pokemon.

Love this note. It took me days to find out how to do it (actually a friend of mine did it)

When I, a few years later started a new save, I didn't remember... After a few days, I went on the internet to find it (we didn't have adsl, so it was a big deal, it was very expensive) I found it, and it said I needed to get the squirt bottle...

However, the gymleader had been crying so I forgot to get the badge, which kept me stuck for weeks.

Also I used to wonder why my ember was not-very effective on a tree... It took me a while to find out it was not a grass pokemon though.

HomicideCrunkMan

You just lost the game.
    Years
  • Fave moment in GSC: Catchinga L70 Ho-Oh with A POKEBALL!!!!
    Least Favorite: Accidentally RELEASING the same Ho-Oh by attempting the cloning glitch

*facepalm due to epic fail*

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Favorite: Being able to get all the pokemon you need to trade to evolve. My summer camp was basically gameboy camp.
    Worst: Having to clone a pokemon every time i wanted another rare candy.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • RBY:
    - I could not find Surf in the Safari Zone, so I was stuck in Fuchsia and pumped my team to level 70 until my neighbor helped me find Surf
    - Used Missingno in the Elite Four... Strange things happened
    - Looked for Mew under the truck
    - Tried to evolve Dratini into Yoshi
    - Always looked for a Pikachu in the southwestern most patch of grass in Viridian Forest
    - Thought Mimic and Hyper Beam were the coolest moves ever and anything that could know them knew them
    - Never battled any of Sabrina's trainers
    - Never used Flash in the Rock Tunnel cave from Cerulean to Lavender
    - Named a Jigglypuff Britney (Spears)
    - Played my GameGIRL in the dark... ekeke
    - Whited out by a Weedle (I got poisoned)

GSC:
    - Was afraid of the Ruins of Alph secret radio station!
    - Used a rare candy at level 99 on my starter, Typhlosion, the only Pokemon I raised up to 99 only to blow it :/
    - Encountered a shiny Grimer, whittled its health to yellow, prepared to catch it ONLY TO HAVE IT FLEE... WHAT POKEMON FLEES BESIDES SAFARI POKEMONFFFFF
    - Got lost in the Whirl Islands for days
    - Owned by Whitney and her Miltank's Rollout many, many, many times
    - Freaked out when I found Smeargle too, lol
    - Wrote down every answer to Buena's radio show for 1 whole year (I still have this notebook, lol)
    - Used Rock Smash in attempt to find any Pokemon but never did
    - Visited the Miltank at the farm everyday for quite a while
    - Tried to get the GS Ball and did not understand that I lacked having the mobile adapter, or a Japanese game

Both:
    - Retarded nicknames for every Pokemon! Go Beachball, the Blastoise!

Nostalgia is fun.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2009
    There's To many Memories to list, But i will list a few.

Back then, Your friends would do anything for you, So my Mom was in the Hospital because of her bad back, Now i was only 5 At the time, So i wasn't a master of PokeMon or anything, but I remember how back then, you didn't care how balanced your team was, Just as long as it had 2 Good Poke's and all the rest Level 4 Pokemon. But, that's not what happened for me, oh no. Instead, i had 4 Good Pokemon. Yeah, and By far one of them Was my Togetic, I am almost 100% sure it was between levels 68-87, And it was mine, so godly. So guess what, My mom was in the Hospital for 2 Months, therefore, I had my Friends Pokemon Gold for 2 Months, And i played it NON Stop! I would play it in the chair next to my Moms bed and talk while leveling up my Typhlosion, Man, those where the days.. But now, its not like that, You just can't have stuff like that anymore.. I miss the ol' days.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2009
    Silver was my very first pokemon game. I was only five or six when I bought it and I couldn't read crap, so I had no idea what I was doing.
    Some of the stuff I did was really stupid.
    - I named my starter Totodile "Squt". It was supposed to be "Squirt" but five year olds are not the best spellers in the world.
    - I didn't understand levels at all. I lost many important fights trying to battle with freshly caught level 10-20s.
    - I used my master ball as soon as I got it on the first wild pokemon I saw because I didn't get what was so special about it. If I remember correctly, I put the pokemon I caught in a PC box and forgot about it.
    - That secret radio station scared the living crap out of me o.o
    - I named my rival and a few of my pokemon things like "GJHISIJFKDVMIO"

A few years later I started the game over because I didn't like my starter pokemon. I could read considerably better, but I still didn't understand some of the stuff. I named my rival "Rival" because right above the entry field it says "Rival's name" and I thought that it was supposed to be his name...

Last edited:

SethMetal37

I'm a zombie. BLARG!
    Years
  • Hey, lolz I remember wasting my masterball in Gold on an Ursurang, Cuz I had never seen it before ad thought OMG A RARE POKEMON. It pissed me off once I knew what it really was lol

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Greatest memory would have to be freaking out when I realized that Ho-oh was that pokemon in the first episode. Nobody new what it was until GSC came out. Let the good times roll...

Years
  • ah fond memories i gotta say i got pissed losing to gary so many times it was happening so much i left the game for a while i threw darts at a pic of gary and guess what the exact time i played Red i beat him

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Silver Version: I didn't know how to save.. Ah, that was hilarious. Naming Silver "???", using the Masterball on a Skarmory, because I thought it was shiny (the wings weren't red).

EDIT: And I ended up naming my Pidgey "-tvw" because I just picked random letters and characters without looking. It turned out to be a part of my awesome team.

Blue Version: Picking Squirtle because I thought I had to. Evolving Eevee into Vaporeon, thinking I could then evolve that into Flareon, then Jolteon (XD). Evolving my Pikachu at level 3, only to figure out that its best move would be Thundershock. XP

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    When I first caught a Dratini and evolved it fully into a Dragonite and I beat the league with it! lol xD

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • R/B: Encountering (and catching) MissingNo. I used it so long that the graphics in the game went back to normal (except my Hall of Fame). MissingNo. was my main Pokemon for a while. Heck, I even had a whole team of them and named them after the so-called PokeGods (Houou, Yoshi, Rainer, Charcolt, and so on). Their Defense sucked, though. Couldn't even beat the Fighting Dojo with them. But those were good days. I might give it a go on my newest save file.

G: Using the Mew Trick to get that hideous-looking Mew. lol

Y: Finally getting a Surfing Pikachu and playing the Pikachu's Beach mini game. That was pretty cool. However, I eventually gave it to my cousin.

G/S: Evolving my Eevee into Umbreon. It took ages, but I love that little thing. Also catching my first non-default shiny, Golbat. ;3

C: Catching a shiny Koffing. I hadn't even been playing it for 24 hours. o3o

manhattan

missing in action
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    I remember that even though I loved reading, my GameBoy was probably my most prized possesion. It was the purple one, and I even had glued some stickers on it.
    The day I lost it (I still think it was stolen, but alas) was probably one of the worst. And to top it off, my Red cartridge went with it too.

Anyways, my favorite moments were:

1) when that guy who was blocking the Cerulean Cave's entry stepped aside. I just loved it.

I usually saved so I could replay the scene:
    "YEAH, WHO'S THE INCAPABLE IDIOT NOW, UH?"

2) when I finally caught a Chansey on RB. Damn that was hard.

Good times. :')

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2016
    How my Adventure Began

How my Adventure Began...by WaterIse

It's a VERY lengthy story, but I'll make it short as can be:

It all began in 1998, when Pokémon Red & Blue were released. Well, I was only 5 years old, so I slept in my parent's room in a Blue's Clues tent. I had a turquoise-colored GameBoy Color and I was currently playing Pokémon Red at night time. Well, as I began my Pokémon adventure, I chose Charmander as my starter. I rose him into a level 100 Legit Charizard. Then the following night something BAD happened.....I remember this clearly to: I pressed the Start button, I saw the "SAVE" option, but I didn't know what it meant when I was 5. So....I just turned my GameBoy Color off and when I woke up the following morning, I only went to find out that my Charizard was no longer there.

Ever since that drastic day, I vowed to always have a Charizard on my team and to always make it my #1 and favorite Pokémon of them all, no matter what. 11 years later and I'm still playing the old Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, and Leaf Green versions with my Charizard.

ShinySilver

Johto Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Ilex Forrest

Spending who knows how long trying to get past the cut tree in Ilex Forrest.
    Then finding myself stuck again trying figure out how to get past that Sudowoodo!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back