• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • I was contemplating bringing this debate here but I thought, what the hey.

I did not know saying Merry Christmas was an issue in the United States until I moved here. I should have guessed, most States don't get Good Friday off.

Do you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Is saying reindeer wrong or right? Is opting for Happy Holidays overly PC? Especially since the other Holidays have passed by now.

I really don't see how people can be offended by Merry Christmas and how that became an issue. That's why I get offended my Happy Holidays.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I might say both. Like, "Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays".

But, usually I just say "Merry Christmas". I celebrate Christmas. I am wishing you a Merry Christmas. Even if I know you don't celebrate it. I wish you a Merry Christmas all the same.

If someone said Happy Hanukkah to me, I'd say Happy Hanukkah back. You wish me the best of your holiday, and so I wish it to you.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I say Merry Christmas. For one, I've always grown up saying it. Second, it sounds better and has less syllables. Happy holidays is a mouthful. If someone said happy holidays to me, without thinking, I'd probably spout Merry Christmas back. That's just how I am. I'm not offended by either of them, and I don't understand how anyone else could be. It's a nice thing to say to someone, both phrases, so there's no need to blow it out of proportion. It's like if I complimented the shirt you were wearing, without knowing you actually hate it. Are you going to get mad that I complimented the shirt I didn't know you hated? So how can you get mad for me wishing you a good holiday that I didn't know you don't celebrate? And I see this crap ALL the time on Facebook and it's just ridiculous. Say what you feel comfortable saying. And that's that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I say Merry (well, most of the time I say Happy) Christmas. If someone doesn't celebrate it, then they'll correct me, I'll say "Oh," wish them a Happy <insert holiday here> "then." I don't celebrate that holiday, so I don't go around wishing others a happy <insert holiday that isn't Christmas here>. This may make me sound rude of me, but I honestly don't care and if people take offense to me wishing them a merry Christmas, so be it.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    I would say Happy Holidays as it can mean any holidays, not just only about Christmas.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've never had an issue with saying Merry Christmas to anyone. Even people who don't celebrate it who I happen to have blurted the phrase at seem to take it nonchalantly. If the occasion did come about where someone did get offended by it, I imagine a lil' 'Happy Holidays' would probably go a step in the right direction... but it really sounds more of a North American-coined phrase; I'd honestly be hard-pressed to think of anyone I know offline that would think about saying it over 'Merry Christmas'. Oh well...

Years
  • I've gotten used to saying "have a good holiday" rather than "Merry Christmas"... anyone who gets offended by the latter is really taking things too seriously, though. Words are words and I don't think people should have to conform to such petty needs and use "happy holidays" for the sake of those who blow things out of proportion. Just my two cents.

Agreed with some of the previous posts, though; I've never really encountered anyone who actually cared about which phrase I used.

Years
  • Around here it's always Merry Christmas. I live in Kansas, lots of Christians around here. I swear there's like 10 different churches within a mile of each other in my city. O_o;

I'd prefer to say Happy Holidays to cover all my bases, but I'm too used to saying Merry Christmas, so that's what I say.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I was Merry Christmas when it actually pertains to Christmas(at least for me). I think Happy Holidays is there to encompass all of the various ethic Holidays around this time and maybe even New Years since it and Christmas are so close in proximity of each other

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't care for political correctness. I live in a traditionally Christian country; even though I'm not Christian and I don't even celebrate Christmas, as far as I'm concerned it's a part of our history. Merry Christmas it is.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • I always say Merry Christmas. I've gotten used to saying it over the years before the US 'suddenly' became offensive about Christmas. I mean, what's wrong with our country (US)?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I actually never say anything of the sort, myself. I don't wish others well without due concern.
    I don't care how people say it; the notion of somehow taking offence at such a long-quoth meme is somewhat bizarre.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    Merry Christmas sounds more right to me. I mean saying happy holidays to a non Christian person that doesn't celebrate Christmas is just as awkward as saying Merry Christmas, I mean, we might as well let the person know which holiday we are referring to since that persons religion might not have an upcoming Holiday in the month of December, just so that we avoid confusion.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I always just say Merry Christmas; it's what I've said all my life. However, I have nothing against people using Happy Holidays. Also, if somebody were to say to me "Happy Hannukah," I wouldn't say "Actually, I celebrate Christmas." I would say more along the lines of "Thank you, and Merry Christmas." Everyone has the right to use whatever greeting they choose. I will accept and appreciate any holiday greeting whether I use it or not because I know the person means well by it.

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    God Jul, so people are afraid of the feral Northmen. ;)

In English, I say "Merry Christmas".

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'm used to saying Merry Christmas, I was raised on saying it. I am Christian but I don't heavily involve myself into my religion. (i don't go to church every Sunday etc) But nevertheless, I would say Happy Holoidays or Merry Chirstmas, it really doesn't bother me. I mean, both of them are wishing the person/people a safe and happy time.

So either way, I don't mind. Whatever suits an individual. :3

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I've said both a lot of times, but mostly 'Merry Christmas'. Never thought of the issue until I read this thread, really. I'm only used to saying both because sometimes I feel robotic for saying the same thing to everyone.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I say Merry Christmas. No one I know gets offended when I say that, but then again, I don't really say either choice very often actually...

Back