• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Mew Glitch

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The Mew glitch (or Trainer Fly) is a software bug found in all four of the Generation I Pokémon Game Boy games. It was first reported in 2003[1], but was used previously by many who knew it. This glitch is famous for allowing players to catch any non-glitched Pokémon in the game, most notably Mew. Method #3 of the Mew glitch allows one to catch both glitch Pokémon and regular Pokémon.

To get Mew at the earliest point possible in the game, the player must not have defeated the Swimmer in Cerulean Gym and the Jr. Trainer (the one who says "I saw your feat from the grass" when the battle with him begins) on Route 24 in the grass. The player must defeat the Trainers on Nugget Bridge as usual.

The player must have an Abra that can Teleport in their party, and therefore, if playing Pokémon Yellow, must have reached Route 5 to catch one or traded for one beforehand.
    The player must first heal at the Cerulean City Pokémon Center, so they may Teleport there later. With an Abra in their party, the player then needs to stand north of the Jr. Trainer so that he is just below the screen. It is recommended that the player now saves the game. The player must move down until seen and immediately press the "START" button. The player then needs to Teleport with Abra. If done correctly, the Jr. Trainer should get the indicative exclamation mark above his head immediately before the player Teleports. At this point, the menu will not work until after the player enters a battle, though it is imperative to not battle.

The player then needs to head east from the Pokémon Center into the Cerulean Gym and battle the Swimmer. After defeating the Swimmer (the menu should be available upon victory), the player then must head to Route 24, and after several steps the menu will appear. Upon closing of the menu, a battle will begin with a wild Mew at Level 7.

[Source]

Have you ever tried performing this glitch? If so, were you successful? Also, were you able to capture Mew? How long did it take you? Personally, I've never attempted this glitch. Back when I had these games, I just didn't know about it. :( If I do wind up playing again, I will definitely make sure to give it a try.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2018
    I've done it a couple times it works,
    The method itself is not hard a little practice and you get the timing down, as it says save right before hand in case of mistakes

um it's been awhile can't recall the difficulty of catching Mew I would say if you can get something better then a Pokeball just for precaution though use whatever you can get, lol.

L7 Mew knows Pound.

Most of your team of Pokemon will definitely be above L7 by the time you can get Mew so in that matter it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you don't defeat him but catch him lol. Again Save right before you begin the Entire process in case of any mistakes.

Well if anyone has additional to add or more specific advice for this go ahead.

Hope I helped a little

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
    Years
  • I figured out how to do my own glitch just as much as I figured out what the hell furries are or what the square root of 29389349 is or why Twitch Plays Pokémon is so popular or why there is no 3DS emulator yet or why you can't play GBA or SNES on 3DS without DSTwo or N64 on 3DS AT ALL or how to get the links in your signature overlap the picture.

I haven't figured any out.

Years
  • Not just mew, but you can encounter and catch pretty much any Pokemon with this method. This is also a pretty easy glitch to attempt, provided you haven't fought the trainers you needed for this already.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I didnt know about it back in the day, but a few years ago a friend of mine started playing his old Pokemon Red cartridge on an actual Gameboy, and i told him about the glitch. He didnt believe me at first, but then we looked up guides and tried to perfrom it on his gameboy. It did work, and we were both pretty surprised and happy about it :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've never bothered purely because I don't really care about Mew. Back in the day, certainly not — there were a lot of schoolyard rumours about RBY so I wasn't inclined to go through each of their required motions just to see if one was real.

Years
  • I never tried and didn't know it even existed until a few years ago. ( p′︵‵。) But I have plans to play through a copy to finally get a shot at this glitch just to experience it. Hear too many things about it, after all, so missing out on something like that after being into Pokemon for 15 years just doesn't feel right.

Can sense that catching it will be quite the struggle for me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Always do it when I'm playing RBY, I never use new but I always do glitch.

Back