• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Playing Catch-Up With Sony

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • 468px-XboxPS4_110613_1280.jpg

GameSpot said:
    "Microsoft announced a $399 version of the Xbox One sans Kinect today--bringing it in line with the current sales frontrunner PlayStation 4. And even without an Xbox Live Gold membership, Xbox owners will finally be able to access entertainment apps like Netflix and Hulu."
    As many of you already probably know, Microsoft had dug themselves a pretty big whole when it came to the release of their Xbox One. At it's press release, it had a higher pricing point, a negative view on the ability of selling/buying used games, less powerful graphics, no external hard drive storage, and other points that could be argued that made it a less appealing console compared to the PS4. Today however, Microsoft has made a pretty big announcement - the Xbox One will now be priced at $399 with the removal of the Kinect, making it equal to the pricing of the PS4. So the questions are these: how do you think the Xbox One now compares to the PS4 in the "console wars" after the news of this price drop? If you think they are falling behind Sony, do you think that Microsoft will be able to surpass Sony at some point? What do you think that Microsoft has to do to make it so more people will buy their consoles? In the long run, who do you think will come out on top: Sony or Microsoft?

Feel free to discuss below!

Yukari

Considering that the Playstation 4 has already had an Enormous head start over the Xbox 1, I doubt that Microsoft beat out Sony anytime soon. Aside from this Sony still has the better console from a technical standpoint, and a better price tag for it all too. Frankly I can't see Microsoft beating Sony anytime soon. Though the Xbox 1 does have some great exclusives like Halo and Gears of War...

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Though the Xbox 1 does have some great exclusives like Halo and Gears of War...

Aaaand that's what it usually comes down to. Which console-exclusives you'd rather play.

People may whine about the features (or lack thereof) or the price tag.. but if they have a preference in that regard, they're still going to buy the console that has the games they want. =p

Yukari

Aaaand that's what it usually comes down to. Which console-exclusives you'd rather play.

Perhaps, but the PS4 has still dramatically outsold the Xbox 1. I can see this boosting the sales of the Xbox 1, considering that it's much more affordable.

Years
  • While browsing N4G earlier, one of the sites that I frequent daily in regards to video game news for their culmination of articles from other websites, I came across an interesting read apparently sourced by an analyst. They regarded the X1 dropping the Kinect as having the potential to surpass the PS4 install base in 2015, but cumulatively, the latter will eventually have the largest base by 2016.

Console wars between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony (especially the latter 2) have become quite out of control if you were to compare how gamers behaved several years ago, or at least the way I've been observing. Even by reading through the comments of articles on IGN, N4G, DualShockers, etc., everyone has been focusing their energy as gamers towards trying to downplay the other console. Not that I'm saying I'm not guilty of it either, but I'm not as hardcore as some individuals are when it comes to their favouritism. Trying to get back on topic though, I haven't been paying too much attention to how the X1 has been faring since release, to be honest. From what I've conjured over the last 6 months though, majority of people have been wanting a Kinectless console ever since, and dropping that extra might help the system in terms of catching up. I'm not entirely sure if it will surpass the PS4 per se, but it definitely has potential to pick up over the rest of the year.

As for myself though (trying not to sound too biased in my opinion), I'll be getting a PS4 regardless of exclusives or anything. Games do play a role, but it's more that I enjoy the single player games that have been historically released on the previous PlayStation systems that makes the system appealing. I've never been one to play multiplayer games, and to engage in online communities so I've never owned an Xbox console. Although, that's probably one of the positive aspects of the X1.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Even though Microsoft has finally considered selling the Xbone and Kinect as stand-alone to increase sales, my brother is still not interested in buying the console since none of the available games other than Halo 5, which he said would come out in like next year or so, interest him, especially Titanfall. Not only that, Microsoft is basically removing the Xbone's key selling-point, which is the Kinect, so it's pretty much like a PS4 2.0, since both consoles share almost the same multi-platform third-party titles, so it all comes down to exclusives.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • The only reason Microsoft made these changes is because it's what the public wanted, BUT only because the public can hurt sales. Nothing is ever truly done because of popular demand and to please the fans, even if it could possibly make the product at hand more popular. It's all about money.

There was immediate backlash about not being able to play used games yet Microsoft was very confident about their decision, but then that policy changed later on down the road when they realized that it was the specific reason a lot of people were going to choose PS4 over Xbox One. They made this decision which the majority of people were happy about, but Microsoft wasn't. They only did this because they had no other choice.

Now they are going to sell a cheaper version without the Kinect bar to match Playstation's price, but they have been selling a more expensive console for a while now. They only make this change now because they aren't happy with their sale numbers. It never made sense that in order to buy the "Xbone" you had to buy Kinect as well, even if you had no intention of ever using it. It would be like shipping a console with 4 controllers or a bunch of games and raising the price. Maybe I don't like those games and maybe I want to play alone!

Finally they are going to allow the use of applications and subscription based services without Xbox Live, but this a problem that's been long overdue to be fixed. Paying monthly to get access to something that you pay monthly for was a ridiculous decision, yet it has been going on for quite some time. The amount of people using certain applications and subscriptions was dropping so they made a change, even though people have been complaining about this since day one.

Certain choices can be made that might not immediately help business, but will boost it substantially overtime because of the increase in popularity, but they don't seem to make those choices. They do what they want and only give in once they realize it's the only option they have. It's all about money.

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    The only reason Microsoft made these changes is because it's what the public wanted, BUT only because the public can hurt sales. Nothing is ever truly done because of popular demand and to please the fans, even if it could possibly make the product at hand more popular. It's all about money.

Well, yeah. They're... they're a business. You only start up a business to make money.
    So, yes, they made a bunch of decisions just to appease the general public and try to boost sales. That's not a bad thing. They've gotta learn from their mistakes, too.

And not all [negative] changes came from Microsoft's side this time around -- apparently you have to pay to play online on the PS4 now, too. IIRC it's $10 cheaper than the Xbone, but that was still one of the main selling points of the PS3.

(I still think the "console wars" are dumb. I really wish people would just buy the games they like, and play them, without being an immature ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ about it to the internet.)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I hate when people say MS did this because they're desperate. What did you expect them to do? To concede defeat and hand Sony the win? This is capitalism, and companies will do whatever it takes to come out on top. Expect Sony to prepare an answer to this.

Really, people should stop viewing MS as villains and Sony as heroes...

Years
  • The only reason Microsoft made these changes is because it's what the public wanted, BUT only because the public can hurt sales. Nothing is ever truly done because of popular demand and to please the fans, even if it could possibly make the product at hand more popular. It's all about money.

There was immediate backlash about not being able to play used games yet Microsoft was very confident about their decision, but then that policy changed later on down the road when they realized that it was the specific reason a lot of people were going to choose PS4 over Xbox One. They made this decision which the majority of people were happy about, but Microsoft wasn't. They only did this because they had no other choice.

Now they are going to sell a cheaper version without the Kinect bar to match Playstation's price, but they have been selling a more expensive console for a while now. They only make this change now because they aren't happy with their sale numbers. It never made sense that in order to buy the "Xbone" you had to buy Kinect as well, even if you had no intention of ever using it. It would be like shipping a console with 4 controllers or a bunch of games and raising the price. Maybe I don't like those games and maybe I want to play alone!

Finally they are going to allow the use of applications and subscription based services without Xbox Live, but this a problem that's been long overdue to be fixed. Paying monthly to get access to something that you pay monthly for was a ridiculous decision, yet it has been going on for quite some time. The amount of people using certain applications and subscriptions was dropping so they made a change, even though people have been complaining about this since day one.

Certain choices can be made that might not immediately help business, but will boost it substantially overtime because of the increase in popularity, but they don't seem to make those choices. They do what they want and only give in once they realize it's the only option they have. It's all about money.

With all those changes though, and this isn't to bash Microsoft or anything, I feel like X1 isn't that much different than the 360 besides the technical specifications that help to make better looking graphics compared to last generation consoles \: I think they originally had the idea of furthering the video game industry by implementing new policies, and ideas that could change the industry, but that inevitably backfired because like you said, public response to it wasn't all that positive. It almost feels like it's simply a rehash of the 360 system, and nothing more. But like I said, I've never owned an Xbox console, and I'm trying to look at this situation as an observer without bias.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • With all those changes though, and this isn't to bash Microsoft or anything, I feel like X1 isn't that much different than the 360 besides the technical specifications that help to make better looking graphics compared to last generation consoles \: I think they originally had the idea of furthering the video game industry by implementing new policies, and ideas that could change the industry, but that inevitably backfired because like you said, public response to it wasn't all that positive. It almost feels like it's simply a rehash of the 360 system, and nothing more. But like I said, I've never owned an Xbox console, and I'm trying to look at this situation as an observer without bias.

Even still, if it was only a graphical standpoint in which the Xbox One has improved on over the Xbox 360, wouldn't that be a good thing? While yes, it's not as powerful as the PS4, you can already see some notable improvements in that regards when comparing the graphics of the two Microsoft systems. And the Xbox One has actually drastically changed from the Xbox 360: unlike the Xbox 360, the Xbox One is looking to become more of a "family outlet" than just a gaming console. With the introduction of the apps for NFL, FOX NOW, FXNOW, Machinima, MLB.TV, Muzu.TV, Skype, and Crackle - on top of some popular Xbox 360 apps that crossed over like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Youtube - Microsoft is wanting the Xbox One to be the "new cable box" in a way in which all members of the family will use it. I honestly think they were putting that idea first and video games second - although all of these reversals of press release/launch policies are trying to cover up for that blunder, as now they're trying to focus more on the consumer and what they want so they can effectively increase their sale numbers.

I own a PS3 and a Xbox 360, so that's just my two cents.

Years
  • Even still, if it was only a graphical standpoint in which the Xbox One has improved on over the Xbox 360, wouldn't that be a good thing? While yes, it's not as powerful as the PS4, you can already see some notable improvements in that regards when comparing the graphics of the two Microsoft systems. And the Xbox One has actually drastically changed from the Xbox 360: unlike the Xbox 360, the Xbox One is looking to become more of a "family outlet" than just a gaming console. With the introduction of the apps for NFL, FOX NOW, FXNOW, Machinima, MLB.TV, Muzu.TV, Skype, and Crackle - on top of some popular Xbox 360 apps that crossed over like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Youtube - Microsoft is wanting the Xbox One to be the "new cable box" in a way in which all members of the family will use it. I honestly think they were putting that idea first and video games second - although all of these reversals of press release/launch policies are trying to cover up for that blunder, as now they're trying to focus more on the consumer and what they want so they can effectively increase their sale numbers.

I own a PS3 and a Xbox 360, so that's just my two cents.

I appreciate them trying to move the gaming industry forward with attempting to implement all these multiple things, but personally, I would only want a console to play games, and nothing else \: Perhaps I'm just old school, and traditional in that sense, but I did enjoy the previous years, especially the 6th generation, where it was mainly about games, and these was never the social aspect that came along with it. Now that I've typed that out, I've realized that that probably plays into the fact that I enjoy single player games significantly more than multiplayer, and I can see why the Xbox systems have that advantage over the PlayStation models.

Kind of digressing off-topic for a second, but cramming all these applications on the Xbox, and even the PlayStation, reminds me of how during the times I had a dedicated website where I tried to literally put a blog, graphics portfolio, fanlisting collective, etc. on just one website instead of multiple. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the consoles become too convoluted with other things instead of simply playing games \:

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    With all those changes though, and this isn't to bash Microsoft or anything, I feel like X1 isn't that much different than the 360 besides the technical specifications that help to make better looking graphics compared to last generation consoles \:

As a 360/PC owner, and not a PS3 owner, speaking... I'd be happy if all they did this time around was release a console that lives more than a couple years. Screw the graphics. 8-bit is fine in my book. Sound? Who needs it! I just want it to last long enough to justify paying $400+ for it.
    2.%20laugh.gif

I appreciate them trying to move the gaming industry forward with attempting to implement all these multiple things, but personally, I would only want a console to play games, and nothing else \:

Kind of digressing off-topic for a second, but cramming all these applications on the Xbox, and even the PlayStation, reminds me of how during the times I had a dedicated website where I tried to literally put a blog, graphics portfolio, fanlisting collective, etc. on just one website instead of multiple. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the consoles become too convoluted with other things instead of simply playing games \:

Could not agree more, though.
    My gaming console should not look nor act like a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop/etc. I bought it to play games. I just want it to play games, and do it well. This is why I've mostly left the console gaming scene -- my desktop was built with two reasons in mind, and it does both of them spectacularly. I wish the same of my consoles.. but I do still gravitate toward them for their exclusives.

Getting back on topic:
    I honestly believe that there's more people out there that feel this way than these companies would like to believe. Rather, I feel like they're just goaling; they're, like, shooting off in every direction for ideas, more things to add to their consoles. It doesn't matter if they miss a few times, so long as they hit something, all in an effort to appeal to absolutely everyone with this one thing. Because that's the new thing now. "Buy this one device to do everything that all these other devices can do. But also get one in every size, from every company, because they're all slightly different! ISN'T IT COOL GUYS"

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • I'm glad they lowered the price on the Xbox One and have a Kinect-less SKU since I'm already 7 deep in the Xbox Live ecosystem I have more incentive to stay with Microsoft. I've been very disappointed with how they followed the Xbox 360, it's a shame they put so much resources into developing the Kinect to just essentially drop it literally 6 months later. To be honest, once the focus went to Kinect, the Xbox 360 starting falling off quite a bit 2-3 years ago so I guess that was ground work for the Xbox One.

I'll buy one eventually.

Years
  • Could not agree more, though.
    My gaming console should not look nor act like a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop/etc. I bought it to play games. I just want it to play games, and do it well. This is why I've mostly left the console gaming scene -- my desktop was built with two reasons in mind, and it does both of them spectacularly. I wish the same of my consoles.. but I do still gravitate toward them for their exclusives.

Exactly. I also plan to build a custom PC mainly for the MMOs that I want to play, and for graphical purposes. But yeah, instead of trying to cram everything in at one time, maybe they (both companies) should have put more thought into gradually introducing the new ideas to consumers. Not a marketing expert or anything, but like I said, it would feel overwhelming as a gamer to have all these different additions to the UI of a console.

Back