• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Might be a bit early, but if this is Gen VII then...

What comes after SM (if it is Gen VII)?

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Do you think we'll get a remake? Sequels? A third version? Without any of those, or something new like prequels this Generation will only be a pair.

I think that we'll get DP remakes by 2019, with potentially a third version or sequels by 2018. If it's a third version I see it being called Storm or Star.

What do you think the rest of the Generation will look like (if it is Gen VII)?

pkmin3033

This is very difficult to call. Game Freak are constantly out to surprise us, so I wouldn't want to assume sequels or a third version, as those have both been done before and I can't see them revisiting the ideas, no matter what history shows - after all, they've defied history for two generations now by denying us third versions.

If the theory that Zygarde is actually the master of two sets of Legendaries holds any water, I strongly suspect fans might get their Pokemon Z after all - what if they were making a trilogy of titles this time around? The story in XY is continued in southern Kalos in Sun and Moon - or Sun and Moon are set alongside XY on an alternate continent - and is then wrapped up by another titles...or two titles, even. Pokemon XS/XM and YS/YM are a bit of a mouthful and I suspect they'd have better naming sense than that - they might even combine it into a single title - but that would be pretty cool, I think. Kalos, as a whole, is unfinished. I can't see Game Freak just abandoning it until they explicitly state they're abandoning it. This would be one possible way of addressing it. Not sure how likely it is, but...well, who knows.

As for DPPt remakes...2018, 2019 at the latest. I'd like it if they were sooner - like, next year sooner - but I doubt it.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • I would say that after Sun and Moon we'll get a Gen IV remake given that in Gen III we got the new region then a remake then a a third game featuring the third legendary of the new region trio. The same thing with Gen IV but that formula went out the window with Gen V as we got a new region then a direct sequel in the same region and it seems that depsite the fact in Gen VI we got the new game then a remake.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Well I think the DPPt remakes should come in 2018. That's what I think anyway. As for '17, I have no clue because we are getting Gen7 this year, so maybe it will just be a year of spin- offs. In 2019, I think that would be the third version/sequels.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Geez, I guess DP remakes are a possibility aren't they...? Perhaps they will be able to make them good this time around. By far the games with the least impact on me. I guess I'm not so quick to expect a third version to XY or SM since BW only got sequels and no third. I don't know enough about why BW were given sequels instead of a third version to really predict, but I'll go ahead and say the version release following SM will be a third version for either XY or SM.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    My gut tells me they won't make Diamond & Pearl remakes until there is another progression in technology. (as in the NX) So I think it'll be the 8th generation before we see that.

So I'm kind of stuck between a third version and going straight on to gen 8. I voted for the latter but now that I think about it I think a third version is probably more likely.

Also I wouldn't like to see it....but out of all the generations, the first gen is the one that is currently the least up to date. (It's last iteration was back in the 3rd gen...which itself has just gotten a remake)

Personally I'd prefer if they made some kind of sequel games to Kanto, rather than just remaking it in 3D. I think sequel games would be more palatable to fans.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with Sabrewulf, I likely won't expect DP remakes until after the NX gets main Pokemon games. As for what I expect after Sun & Moon, I hope we get a sequel again like Black 2 & White 2, since it wouldn't be right to leave the generation behind after just one main paired version.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I agree with Sabrewulf, I likely won't expect DP remakes until after the NX gets main Pokemon games. As for what I expect after Sun & Moon, I hope we get a sequel again like Black 2 & White 2, since it wouldn't be right to leave the generation behind after just one main paired version.

Except for the fact that we haven't the slightest clue if the NX really is a handheld or an entirely new system that's separate from console and handheld. But I agree that the DP remake won't come into development until Gen VIII arrives, since ORAS didn't came out during Gen V, where it was still on the DS, which already had Jotho remakes.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • Even if the NX is Nintendo's newest handheld line we probably won't be seeing a DPPt remake until after the newest main series Pokemon Gen game has debuted on it. As that's how its normally been done. Coz when the gba came out the first pokemon games we got was Ruby and Sapphire(Gen III) then the Kanto remakes When the DS was released we got Diamond and Pearl (IV) then the Johto remakes. 3DS release XY(Gen VI) then the Hoenn remakes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Even if the NX is Nintendo's newest handheld line we probably won't be seeing a DPPt remake until after the newest main series Pokemon Gen game has debuted on it. As that's how its normally been done. Coz when the gba came out the first pokemon games we got was Ruby and Sapphire(Gen III) then the Kanto remakes When the DS was released we got Diamond and Pearl (IV) then the Johto remakes. 3DS release XY(Gen VI) then the Hoenn remakes.
    Johto remakes came after Pt, but I get what you mean about the systems. That's why I made this thread, as they're going to need to revive the sequel or third version to make Gen VII longer. I expect it to have the lifetime of Gen V, so two releases but a year in between. a Gen II/VI style release is possible too, that's two years of games in a row, and the third one has nothing and the following year is a new gen.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    *Sigh* at all the people who selected remakes for the next games.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but I think the era of Pokémon remakes is over. In the era of the Virtual Console and Pokémon Bank, remakes are no longer necessary for bringing old games onto a new handheld. If RBY of all games can be made compatible with Bank and Gen 7, what's stopping DPP from getting the same treatment down the road? The NX should be a far more powerful system than the 3DS and will probably be capable of emulating GBA and DS games, which opens the floodgates to re-releases of Gens 3-5.

Besides, GF can't keep on making remakes forever, especially when remakes themselves will eventually become just as outdated and obsolete as the originals (as we've already seen happen to FRLG). You have to eventually draw a line somewhere. In the long run, it's both more practical and more cost-effective to just re-release the old games and make them compatible instead of continuously remaking them.

For the record, I voted for the Sun/Moon sequels option. I'd also be down with seeing DPP sequels much more over remakes. Platinum was already a very polished, complete game and wouldn't really gain much from being remade, IMO. Sequels would do way more for Sinnoh than remakes ever would, and that's how I'd rather see GF revisit old regions instead of remakes.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Diamond and Pearl remakes?

Not for another five years. Same way ORAS came 5 years after HGSS.

We are more then likely to get something else in between, whether it be 3rd version or something else. Probably to early to call it though.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Would more mystery dungeon games be a possibility to fill in the void between main series releases?

PageEmp

Years
  • Well, looks like Imma go make a clearer version of my previous post. To be honest, for most of th posts that came after mine, let me summarise everything: I agree and disagree with some of them. But instead of wasting my time ang replying to all the ones I disagree with, I will just post what I think will be covered in the next few years.

Okay, originally I was thinking this year would be for gen 7, but turns out gen 7 is THIS year, so then I can't really think what is to happen next year. I think the most accurate answer would basically be just simply a bunch of spinoffs. I think back in one of the generations between the years for the first game, there was a year where they released a single PMD game, the other a bunch of spinoffs. As a result I expect '15 be PMD game, '16 be gen7, and '17 be a bunch of spin-offs.

Guys, that year will be the DPPt remakes and that's FINAL. Let me correct ZR25: ORAS(2014) came out four years after HGSS(2010) and so the next remakes should come out another 4 years after ORAs as a result. I think it would be absurd for the creators to make us wait THAT long for just remakes. Well maybe we will get surprised and that the remake will actually be the first poke games on whatever new console it would be but meh.

We went through the remake and all, now I beleive this one would be the 3rd version or sequel, no dount about it. S&M would possibly be old enough for us to go back there by then.

I will do 2020 when I have time. Bah.

Years
  • That is a very interesting analysis, Witari. The one that I'd think would be most accurate is likely 2017, since Game Freak may not want to follow up Sun & Moon with a main game right away, and then maybe 2018 could be a possible sequel pair coming out, similar to Black 2 & White 2. That's assuming they don't go down the third version route again.

As for Diamond & Pearl remakes, given 7th Gen is on the 3DS and the original Sinnoh games can be easily played on a 3DS, I don't really see it happening. That's just my guess, though.

pkmin3033

I wouldn't assume that Gen VII is this year just yet - there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Sun & Moon are indirect sequels to X & Y and will be the second half of Gen VI, set in a different part of Kalos. Just because they're not obviously sequels through their naming doesn't mean that they aren't sequels in the same vein as GSC were to RBY.

...granted, GSC were a new generation, but the small number of Pokemon introduced in Gen VI, coupled with Game Freak's love of surprising us, is going to leave me at least as very skeptical until I get absolute confirmation the new Pokemon introduced in Sun & Moon are intended to be a new generation and not a continuation of the current one.

PageEmp

Years
  • I wouldn't assume that Gen VII is this year just yet - there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Sun & Moon are indirect sequels to X & Y and will be the second half of Gen VI, set in a different part of Kalos. Just because they're not obviously sequels through their naming doesn't mean that they aren't sequels in the same vein as GSC were to RBY.

Interesting point. We still have yet to see new mons or starters or whatnot. Though of course I'm personally hoping this could be a new gen altogether but only time can tell.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just because we had sequels in Black and White doesn't mean that most future games will most likely be a sequel. However, there is something they could possibly do, which would appeal to absolutely everyone. Create two versions - one a sequel of Sun and Moon (Ash Sun), and a prequel (Gale Moon). Probably not names they'd go with at all but they do sound cool? I don't see why they can't release two different types of games. Yes, it is money grabbing, but it is money grabbing in a fair way, especially if they space it out (and throw in Sinnoh remakes in the middle). So say, release Sun and Moon, then release Gale Moon to confuse the hell out of people. It would make people want to buy the sequel, seeing what happened in the past and how much changed.

Let's just assume that in this scenario the legendary mascots have pre-evolutions (can be done - Manaphy did!) and additionally had Celestial Evolutions (sounds suitable and is the same as primals/megas). Mascot of Ash Sun would be the Celestial Evolution of Sun mascot, whereas mascot of Gale Moon would be the pre-evolution of Moon mascot (better not be Solrock and Lunatone...) Both would tell the other side of the story. I think a prequel would be seriously amazing, and it's something we need to consider might be a possibility after Sun and Moon (a year or so after).

That's what I'd love, anyway. Probably won't happen but they do like to surprise us lately, so here's hoping. :')

Back