• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornicapus

Custom User Title
    Years
    To Whoever asked if there are missingo's in any other pkmn games

Well In G/S/C there is missingo but only obtainable through Gs/Ar etc.
    and also the Pokemon "Bad Egg" which i thought was funny it has a sprite of an egg

in R/S there is ??????? (no.0 in pokedex so technically it's missingo) it has the sprite of a unknown pokemon in pokedex. and ? (No.252-276) the missing pokedex data between G/S and R/S it looks like two big question marks and hasits own icon! but it only learns one move:Tackle.... so dont try to catch it as a pokemon to battle others wif!!!(the shiny of this pokemon is exactly the same colours but is a little bit lower) and ?????????'s shiny is gray. R/S also has the Pokemon "bad Egg" except it will hatch into another bad egg every 5000 steps.

In FR/LG there is "Bad Egg" but also a special item called ?? looks just like the Pokemon ? from R/S but the item ?? screws your game over majourly... if u use it all the pkmn in ur pc turns into "Bad Eggs" and it also makes a trillion more "Bad Eggs" throughout your Boxes (all this talk about bad eggs in making me hungry :P)

In D/P there is the item ?? (as in FR/LG) i think.... and almost everyone knows the "surf on elite 4 door" Glitch where u catch the event Pokemon and the "Bad Egg" (sooooo hungry) Pokemon will Probably be in there 2 ad who knows maybe missingo will make a comeback O_o.... highly unlikely

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Don't Missingno.'s evolve into Kangaskhan when leveled up?
    I once heard a theory that Missingno. was the data for a pre-evolution to Kangaskhan (maybe the baby) that would evolve into one. But then got bagged, for whatever reason. I dunno, it's without a doubt the most interesting "Pokemon" out there!

And I really hope that Missingno. doesn't make a comeback in future games, as lots would like to see. I see it this way: out of all 350+ pokemon they have invented so far, and all of the extremely elusive Legendaries (Celebii seems the most mysterious of them to me), none in Pokemon history has yet to come close to the mystery and notoriety if Missingno. You'll never meet a big Pokemon fan who doesn't know about it; but it's almost under ground; something you talk about with a whisper. I kind of enjoy not knowing what the hell Missingno. is. If this makes sense, the whole thing is very close to being coined as "creepy", because... wouldn't that specific name (Missingno.) have to be somehow programmed into the game?

Cornicapus

Custom User Title
    Years
    Don't Missingno.'s evolve into Kangaskhan when leveled up?

i have figured out why.

The secret no. for Missingo. is 00 Rydon is 01 and Kanghastan is 02 (its in the order of when they were created/Made up by Nintendo) . when you catch missingno lv.100+ the game thinks its on lv.100 because the gmae doesnt know a lv. higher than 100 and instantly switches to the EXP needed to gain a lv at 100 which is coincedently 0 so when you gain 1 exp it switches back to the lowest lv because it doesnt know any higher and repeats itself. and Missingo registers and Rydon when caught and when you lv again it doesnt know what to evolve into next so instead of crashing it goes to the next no. which is Kanghastan!

but when missingo is lv.100- it doesnt know what exp is needed to gain a lv so it instantly goes to 0 exp so when you get exp it levels up!(or in missingno's case levels down) so if i am correct Missingno. has the same stats as Rydon! so if you want a glitchy Rydon get a missingno.(this also explains when you catch the secret glitchy pokemon like a,A,Pkmn and gold Charizard) all become Rydons when caught

EDIT:But in later missingno's they hav a cry of a bulbasaur (no prizes for guessing why) so everyone doesnt get cnfused

Last edited:
    Years
    Evolve Missingno!

Many people who have caught Missingno were forced to restart their game because it causes the screen to fuzz up and break into blocks making it next to impossible to see in battle but if you use a rare candy on a Missingno it will evolve into a Kangeskhan (excuse my spelling). The Kangeskhan will know all of Missingno's moves like the two waterguns, fly (optional but I would recommend) and sky attack. I still have my Missingno Kangeskhan and I always use him for flying around in my Blue. I recently duplicated it and traded to duplicate into my crystal. Annoying when first caught but loads of fun when evolved.:laugh:

Cornicapus

Custom User Title
    Years
    when i was 10 i thought it was a Yanma sort of thing then my friends said its a tetris block and for a month i was trying to figure out how to play tetris on my Red version.

And i caught the G/S/C missingno the other day.. i'll never live it down it screwed up the colours and froze my game after i caught it. but i am still reminded of this glitch because now my gold version is in black and white (ITS R/B ALL OVER AGAIN!!!)

Last edited:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    It's actually quite unsettling that an in-game glitch (ie, something not brought about by an external appliance, like a gameshark) could cause so much damage to itself. Almost like the game is a closet masochist. LMAO

I always thought about the old Inspector Gadget cartoons, where the mission letter will explode in 10 seconds. Man that was a good cartoon... not many things used to make me wake up before noon. And now since Sailor Moon was taken off the air (used to be on at 6 am on some channel after they removed it from Cartoon Network, the bastards), nothing makes me wake up before noon! hahaha

Guest123_x1

I first saw how to activate the MissingNO trick in a gaming magazine. On my first encounter, I thought the appearance took long because it took awhile to access the information on Missingno from the game programming code itself. Some time later at random when I went to the hall of fame (I didnt' know this at the time), I found out that every entry was glitched up- like Level Z32, Bird Type (rather than Flying), and screwed sprites. When I reset the game (without saving), the hall was still messed up.

As for why the hall of fame gets messed up when you encounter MissingNO (or 'M), when the 'battle' begins, the game (perhaps a dynamic link library containing MissingNO's code) directly writes into your game save file-which is why not only it takes longer for the official battle to start (the black screen stays slightly longer), the Hall of Fame is completely irrecoverable even if you don't save.
    I found out about the direct access to the save file when I ran my Pokemon Blue on Pokemon Stadium 1's GB Tower, and the status bar said "Saving" when the screen blacked out before MissingNO (or 'M) appeared.

As for capturing it, I never bothered doing so because of reading in another game magazine warning not to catch it because "it will ruin your game save". (though I have used Ditto/Transform on it-and have actually defeated it, 'm, and super-high level "legitimate" Pokemon several times to get EXP)

IIRC, MissingNO's battle cry sounded lot like a roughed-up Nidorina.

Last edited:

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Some people think was going to be the 4th Legendary Bird (Water type). Obviously not though... Sorry if this has been posted.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    i caught missingno. in my blue and then i saved the game. i fought the elite four and the sprites messed up. i get scarred and turned off the game. how can i get the sprites to look normal again?

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    You can't unless you start a new game. I did the same thing once, and I thought releasing it would fix it, but it didn't. I don't know of any other way to do it besides erasing the file.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    i gave my blue to my freind and said have fun. the next day he calls my house saying he is scarred and i laugh at him.

Pokemon_X

Trainer
    Years
    i don't know if you already know this but i was kinda suprised when i read this on wikipedia
    In the advanced generation of Pokémon games, there are several methods of getting Shiny Pokémon other than the dismal chance normally presented. The most obvious one is to catch the Red Gyarados that appears in the Lake of Rage.

Another, more complex trick involves trading the Red Gyarados to a Red or Blue version, teaching it the Mimic TM, and trading it back. Then, using the move deleter in Blackthorn City, the player deletes all the moves except Mimic. Then, the Gyarados is traded back to the Red or Blue version and battles a Ditto. Battling the Ditto, the Gyarados uses Mimic after Ditto uses Transform. Gyarados can then use Transform. It then transforms into Ditto, after which Ditto transforms into the transformed Gyarados. After that, the player catches the Ditto, which will be shiny when traded to Gold, Silver, or Crystal.

Another, even more complex trick involves restarting the game; it does not always work, so it is dangerous to do. The player takes the name ??w?x?y (case sensitive), then uses a combination of the Missingno. trick and the aforementioned Shiny Ditto trick. Before doing this, the player must look at a Pokédex entry for Ditto. Once this is done, the Shiny Ditto trick can be used on a level 230 Missingno., which will only know Transform. The Missingno. must be level 230 for this to work. When the Missingno. is caught, it will have the DVs of a shiny pokemon. When traded to a Gold or Silver version, if the game allows it (sometimes it may say the Missigno. is unusual and cannot be traded) it will be a Shiny Pokémon. If the "ghost" form of Missingno. is traded properly, it becomes a Shiny Lugia.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back