• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MISTY OR MAY?(revived)

Whom do you prefer more,Misty or May?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    saying not to argu, jsut starts them, and btw dont say you dont like to get into argu. when you cant beat ppl up, as if you are mean to others. w/e misty needs improvemnts, so at least w/ may, a new char, they have reason to give them to her, instead of having to keep misty and keep trying to improve here

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    And how do you figure that Misty was inferior for needing improvement and May isn't, kirby? At least we knew the old Misty for a couple of seasons. I always loved the way that fiery readhead acted; she was quite a lot different from other characters, especially other girls. Yes, she declined in the Johto arc, but we all remembered what she was like, and on rare occasions the old Misty would resurface. As I've said before, she didn't lose personality, it was taken away from her. During the horrifically drawn-out Johto arc, the writers lost a great deal of creativity and went by the same formula episode after episode, and Misty, as well as Brock, just became the peanut gallery for general comments. She was stripped of what she had and made nothing, something even less than a supporting character. She was useless, but most certainly not useless enough to be replaced with the pastepudding May.

May, on the other hand, has no personality to go on, and I see no personality changes for her in the future. She's no different than all the generic girly-girls that were one-episode characters; the kind that Brock would do his routine over than would introduce Ash and co. to some new pokemon. May was created for one purpose only: to sell Ruby and Sapphire. The writers had no desire to make her anything more than a marketing tool, and that's what she is to this day. What do we see in May that we never saw in Misty...I see less in May at her highest than in Misty at her lowest. May is bland from head to toe, going from her personality to her clothing to her pokemon. I see nothing special in her, and I don't think that there's anything special that can be seen in her. Yes, she has a goal to be a pokemon contest master, but that ties in to her being a marketing tool. Contests were a new feature on RS, so they had to make her interested in them. If it's a marketing tool, it's no goal at all. Misty's love of water pokemon never sold a copy of RBYGSC, and she loved it because it was part of her very vivid personality, not because of the greed of the video game salesmen which caused Misty to be taken off the show. Misty is in no way inferior for losing her personality, it's not her fault. It's the fault of the writers and nobody can penalize her for that. Once Misty is back, I'm sure she'll be improved a great deal. Nobody should keep her off the show for her Johto decline, by that reasoning May would be off the show too for her painful blandness.

Years
    wut mean she doesnt need improvements? you yourself said she declined? that proof there, and the reason i said that was because it would be hard to see the same old story w/ no new characters and only new pokemon. thats exactly what happened form kanto to johto and what would have happened to hoenn if she wasnt replaced... and may isnt in there jsut for marketing otherwise, they would use more characters like the other possible rival (the boy) and also, it wasnt marketing b/c in the game, she had nothing to even do w/ the contests,nor did she catch any of the same pokemon in the game as in the show... and if what youre saying is true then explain why they had max as her bro in the show when there was no mention of him in the game, and if may is for marketing tools, why isnt max if he was directly added to the show? misty needed improvenments, but by having her return it would make it seem too much the same, so instead they did the easier and smarter way by starting from scratch, and using may as that tool. (and not for marketing), as contests would have been added alot more in the show than they were, and making her win them and talking about them more would have really sold more games, when the whole journey is still almost all based on ash... and if she was a marketing too, then why did they have drew in there, not because to attract more selling, but b/c it would make her look more like a novice and give more attention to ash...

pokeknight

Hyper Member
    Years
    You little spammer!

kirby00 said:
    wut mean she doesnt need improvements? you yourself said she declined? that proof there, and the reason i said that was because it would be hard to see the same old story w/ no new characters and only new pokemon. thats exactly what happened form kanto to johto and what would have happened to hoenn if she wasnt replaced... and may isnt in there jsut for marketing otherwise, they would use more characters like the other possible rival (the boy) and also, it wasnt marketing b/c in the game, she had nothing to even do w/ the contests,nor did she catch any of the same pokemon in the game as in the show... and if what youre saying is true then explain why they had max as her bro in the show when there was no mention of him in the game, and if may is for marketing tools, why isnt max if he was directly added to the show? misty needed improvenments, but by having her return it would make it seem too much the same, so instead they did the easier and smarter way by starting from scratch, and using may as that tool. (and not for marketing), as contests would have been added alot more in the show than they were, and making her win them and talking about them more would have really sold more games, when the whole journey is still almost all based on ash... and if she was a marketing too, then why did they have drew in there, not because to attract more selling, but b/c it would make her look more like a novice and give more attention to ash...
    Your petty spamm, it seems to me that u are trying to force us to vote for may.Don't you realise that in a vs. matter, a person can't have two choices and plus everybody has given a reason for disliking may or misty then why are u shouting unneccesarily.Misty might need improvement but May does too and more than misty.Nobody is perfect in an anime and the writers were careless about misty in johto arc, so her character might have degraded but she isn't as bad as you are trying to make her.Anyway, no more spamm of your's would be considered her! So, let's leave the thread Kirby00

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2005
    Nobody should keep her off the show for her Johto decline, by that reasoning May would be off the show too for her painful blandness.

i seriously doubt may will be thrown off the show.

did you know that in japan, may is MUCH MUCH more popular than misty?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I didn't say that she would be, I said that by kirby's reasoning of why Misty should be off the show May should be off as well. If you're going to reply, at least try to read my post carefully.

And what effect does this alleged popular consensus have on any of our opinions? I doubt that they've actually polled people on their preference, and even if they did, I take no stock in polls. It's just asking random people the same question. Besides, the writers usually bend to the will of the Americans. They got rid of Brock because they thought America didn't like him. They put him back because they realized he was much more beloved than they had imagined.

And Kirby, I never said anything about either character not needing improvements. Also, I never even mentioned Max, he's not a marketing tool, just a useless walking pokedex who little kids who watch the show are supposed to identify with. And you're saying that May isn't a marketing tool because of Drew? That's like saying Ash isn't the main character because of Gary. They wanted to give May a rival.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    I choose May she is cool, kind, sweet and great with her Pokemon.
    I just like her better is all.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    first things first

Chairman Kaga, you bashed May in one of your posts. She may be a cartoon, but it is still against the rules to bash her since people like her nad may take offense to it.

and ujjwalpokemon, if your going to criticize for bashing Misty, you ahve to criticize for bashing May to. That is what is calle dbeing fair.

With that said, May does improve. I've read through my Totally Pokemon Pojo guide which includes about thirty episode we ahve yet to see,, and i've coem to find that May will become a more in depth character as teh story goes on. You judge her as she is now, but you ahve tro realize that to judge her so early is unfair. To judge her once she's been around awhile is the right time. Misty didn't appear to ahve character either other than having a short temper till teh episodes near teh end of the Kanto Region. And it wasn't even accentuated until teh beginning of the orange islands. May is jsut starting, and rright now with Ash just two badges in, its a little unfair to assume that May will stay naive and inexperienced forever. Give her time, and she'll grow on you, jsut like misty did.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Excuse me? I never bashed May. Being pro-Misty means pointing out May's faults, and if you consider that bashing I don't know what to say. I don't say anything about May fans, just May, and I honestly think that anything I say wouldn't be termed as bashing.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    And how do you figure that Misty was inferior for needing improvement and May isn't, kirby? At least we knew the old Misty for a couple of seasons. I always loved the way that fiery readhead acted; she was quite a lot different from other characters, especially other girls. Yes, she declined in the Johto arc, but we all remembered what she was like, and on rare occasions the old Misty would resurface. As I've said before, she didn't lose personality, it was taken away from her. During the horrifically drawn-out Johto arc, the writers lost a great deal of creativity and went by the same formula episode after episode, and Misty, as well as Brock, just became the peanut gallery for general comments. She was stripped of what she had and made nothing, something even less than a supporting character. She was useless, but most certainly not useless enough to be replaced with the pastepudding May.

May, on the other hand, has no personality to go on, and I see no personality changes for her in the future. She's no different than all the generic girly-girls that were one-episode characters; the kind that Brock would do his routine over than would introduce Ash and co. to some new pokemon. May was created for one purpose only: to sell Ruby and Sapphire. The writers had no desire to make her anything more than a marketing tool, and that's what she is to this day. What do we see in May that we never saw in Misty...I see less in May at her highest than in Misty at her lowest. May is bland from head to toe, going from her personality to her clothing to her pokemon. I see nothing special in her, and I don't think that there's anything special that can be seen in her. Yes, she has a goal to be a pokemon contest master, but that ties in to her being a marketing tool. Contests were a new feature on RS, so they had to make her interested in them. If it's a marketing tool, it's no goal at all. Misty's love of water pokemon never sold a copy of RBYGSC, and she loved it because it was part of her very vivid personality, not because of the greed of the video game salesmen which caused Misty to be taken off the show. Misty is in no way inferior for losing her personality, it's not her fault. It's the fault of the writers and nobody can penalize her for that. Once Misty is back, I'm sure she'll be improved a great deal. Nobody should keep her off the show for her Johto decline, by that reasoning May would be off the show too for her painful blandness.

That was bashing.To debate means you provide reasons why yours is better, not why the other is worse. That is not just criticsm, That is all unfair Negative Commentary aimed at May. There is hardly any Pro-Misty to it. it's eithe explaining Misty's decline, calling May names, or writing her off as a marketing tool. just becasue Presidental Candidates do it doesn't make it fair. If you don't want to be accused of bashing, then you'll probably want to make sure you're not doing just waht your being accused of. :\

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    There are negative campaign commercials, I'd just say that this is a form of that. I've expounded enough on what I think makes Misty better than May, I thought I might as well point out May's weaknesses instead once...besides, I'm not going to roll out all of my good points in one post; I'm waiting to see where the debate goes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2005
    Besides, the writers usually bend to the will of the Americans.

sorry, but that is just... wrong.

I doubt that they've actually polled people on their preference, and even if they did, I take no stock in polls.

yes they have. it's a shame you take no stock in polls, since they are pretty accurate

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    There are negative campaign commercials, I'd just say that this is a form of that. I've expounded enough on what I think makes Misty better than May, I thought I might as well point out May's weaknesses instead once...besides, I'm not going to roll out all of my good points in one post; I'm waiting to see where the debate goes.

And like I said, just because Presidential Candidates do it doesn't make it right. It's bashing no matter what you call it. And if you don't have anything more Pro-misty to say at this time, then just don't say anything. " If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2005
    chairman kaga, by saying that you don't see a future develoment in may's character, i'm guessing you haven't seen the japanese episodes, yet. may HAS changed. A LOT.

first, she was whiny and all that, but now in japan (they're about to get in to lilycove), she's much better.
    here are a few examples of character development

(spoilers)

- she sacrifises herself to save her skitty (she gets kidnapped by a skarmory and gets thrown in a middle of a forest as a result)

- instead of capturing a swablu that she really got friendly with, she let it fly away with the rest of its flock (which was definitely the harder, but wiser choice)

- she no longer whines

- she also gets much better at trainig her pokemon. her skitty learns blizzard, beats a super-tough dusclops, and her torchic evolves into combusken, whom even corphish is scared of.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    That's what I had said! I told them to gvie her a chance to grow a bit, and that it wasn't fair to judge her as she is now. Bravo, frednmethod! :D

He's absolutely right. To automatically assume she'll never change would be like to see the first episode ever and assume Ash wouldn't change, when he obviously has.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back