• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Money or passion?

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Do you seek a job with a good paycheck or a job that satisfies your passion for it? Assume you cannot have both and you are given one of the two options: money or passion. And assume you are well-informed and more-than-capable in handling any of the two jobs.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • If I had a boring and meaningless job that nevertheless paid very well, I could use said money to make my personal life so much fun to counterbalance it. I could try and do meaningful, 'passionate' stuff in my spare time with all the money. There'd probably be less time to do so, but I'd make the most of it.

If I had a really fun job that I cared about that paid poorly, my personal life would suffer as a result. I'd end up trying to work overtime at work to avoid going home. I'd probably become a workaholic and devote my entire life towards it, forsaking personal relationships and becoming generally weird.

So, if money and passion are mutually exclusive in the job market, I'd have to go for money.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    If your choice was between a job that payed off well but I hated it and the opposite, I would have given it some thought, but in this one, choosing the one that fills my buck is a no-brainer for me. And Mr Cat Dog set a good example of why I'd choose it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Depends, if I do happen to get a job at this age, it'll be for money.

But, for my career choice when I finish college, it'll be for the passion. From what I was taught, doing a job that you don't have a passion for leads to a plain and boring life that you won't enjoy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]A job that pays well is all I care about, so by taking a well paying job, I'd get both.[/SIZE]

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • I'd do my studying and go through schooling find a job that I enjoy. A good pay would merely be a surplus in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm easily satisfied at a job. If I'm working, chances are I can find enjoyment out of it, but if I can find a job that satisfies my passion for it and that pays well (like I intend to do), then I'm going to do that. Until then, I'd end up just focusing on improving my passion while working at a job that pays well to secure myself financially. One of the things that I'm worried about living on my own is that I'm not going to be financially secure. I'm willing to get a job that I may not enjoy as much as I would something else if it means that I'm going to have the money and won't have to worry about the lack thereof.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'd take the better paying job, assuming it doesn't need longer hours than the job I prefer. Life exists outside of employment, and you can use the money from the well-paid job to live it exactly the way you'd like to, balancing everything out.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    I'd like to say I want to pursue my passion, in which I get so much fulfillment out of it and do not feel pressured at doing my job, but I have to consider the real monetary limitations. Doesn't sound remotely lucrative when you think about it so I have to go with a good paycheck rather than pursue my passion.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Money is pretty much the key to everything. I would most definitely choose money over passion. As Mr Cat Dog said, you can easily use the money you get at your boring job to do things that you're passionate about and that fulfill you so that your life doesn't become a sucking void in the name of quick cash. The same is not true of the reverse. You can't use your passion in your spare time to get money. So why choose one over the other when you can have it all?

Years
  • Having a good paycheck is what makes me happy; so as long as I got paid well I wouldn't ever really feel down about it. As others have said, there's so many things you can do with said money to balance things out. I cannot possibly be happy knowing I'm getting paid next to nothing even if I'm doing something I love much less feel happy outside work knowing I have very little to support myself with.

Years
  • Money. I can put up with a crap job pretty well, knowing that I'm getting paid well for it. That was me last Christmas. The work sucked, but I did enjoy getting those bigger paychecks. I survived that, I could probably survive it again.

I could have shiny things for once!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • A little of column a, a little of column b. More so the money, at least when just starting out and you need to make a living. Later on down the line? Do what you love

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Hmm, it's a tough decision actually, because if somethings your passion being able to get a job in the field would be like a dream come true - As it's what you want to do. On the other hand money is undeniably important and the more income you have the better off you're going to be socially/economically/etc.
    I'm assuming the two aren't mutually exclusive? If you say pick the one where you earn more money you could still indulge your passion, just not for profit? If not - Then I think I might choose passion over money, just because it's my passion and the thought of not being able to do that anymore is a horrible one.
    However if they aren't mutually exclusive then I'd pick the one which paid more, having more money means I have more to spend on indulging my passion and myself! And I wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Logically of course it would be silly to pick your passion unless you had a fairly comfortable wage.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Since my social life doesn't exist outside of the internet, I would go for passion over money. All that is needed is some skill in budgeting, & one can make the most out of their money. Also, I feel that if you enjoy your occupation, you'll feel as if you haven't worked a single day.

At least, that's what I've heard from a quote that Mr. Einstein has said.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It depends how poorly paid the job you enjoy is. Ideally, I don't want to be working minimum wage, but there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to do a job I don't enjoy. I can live perfectly comfortably on a job that just covers the bills and leaves just a little to spend on myself; I don't care about holidays or luxury items or anything like that.

Besides, how many people have working in the supermarket or cleaning as their ideal job? Things like that are the only sort of job where you will get **** pay with no chance of climbing the ladder.

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • It only depends on how much I can get from each job.

However, in a general sense, I'd just go with money, since it's more practical that way, though I'd only pick "passion" over money if I absolutely hate the whatever job that I get more money from.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    Money. Money is needed to take care of your family and pay your bills. I would choose money over passion.

Back