• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    GAME Pokémon HeartGold
    TYPE Normal
    TIME 6:45

→ ARRIVAL IN GOLDENROD!
    What the title says. Went straight to the Radio Tower and got my Radio Card, sending Whitney back to her Gym. Then headed North to do a spot of training. Then came back through and picked up TM52: Focus Blast from the Goldenrod Department Store to teach it to Mossa.

→ VS. WHITAPRICORN!
    Kord vs. Clefairy: Used Yawn to send her to sleep, suffering only a Metronome-Double Hit on the way. Got her HP down with Extrasensory, then Whitney used a Super Potion. Clefairy wakes up and uses Double-Slap, which takes about 2hp off per hit, oh no. She then uses Gravity via Metronome...and then Sacred Fire. Togepi is burned, and I don't have a Burn Heal! Ffff. Anyway, Clefairy is down and out by this point.
    Mossa vs. Miltank: Mossa used Focus Blast, which pulled Miltank down to half HP. Not wanting to rely on the 70% Accuracy I then used Headbutt, but Whitney countered with a Super Potion. Tried Focus Blast again and it missed. Miltank used Milk Drink to get back to maximum HP. Focus Blast misses for a third, fourth and fifth time. Mistake! Know what else is super-duper? I forgot to pick up any Super Potions at the Mart! Mossa uses Headbutt twice, which causes two Flinches. Mossa is then taken down by Stomp.
    Kord vs. Miltank: He's at 18/56 HP and Burned. Miltank uses Attract. Kord falls in love. Kord is immobilised. And hurt by the burn. And taken down by Stomp!
    Totodile is with me and is sent out, but I order him to Leer so no damage is taken by Miltank. He is OHKO'd by Stomp.

tl;dr First loss to Whitney thanks to my lack of insight with buying medicine.

→ VS. WHITAPRICORN. ONE MOAR TIME!
    To Goldenrod Department Store! I buy 5 Super Potions, which takes all of my money. However, it should be enough.
    Kord vs. Clefairy: Use Yawn, then Metronome, which turns into Cut. Clefairy uses Mimic, then falls asleep. Kord becomes infatuated. Regardless, he uses Extrasensory twice to get her HP down to around 10, before Whitapricorn uses a Super Potion. Clefairy wakes up and uses DoubleSlap. Kord uses Metronome-Thunder, which misses. Clefairy uses Metronome-...something, which hits. Kord uses Metronome-Softboiled, which saves me a Potion. Clefairy uses DoubleSlap. Kord is immobilized. Clefairy uses Yawn. Kord uses Yawn. I switch Kord out.
    Mossa vs. Clefairy: Clefairy uses Metronome-Moonlight, which brings her HP right back up. Mossa uses Headbutt twice and KO's Clefairy.
    Mossa vs. Miltank: I use an X Accuracy on Mossa. Miltank uses Stomp. Mossa uses Focus Blast and misses. The second Focus Blast hits. Mossa is down to 4HP by this time, but I restore her with a Super Potion. Miltank starts her Rollout. Mossa's Focus Blast hits again. Miltank is down and out!

tl;dr X Accuracies rock; Mossa is cute; Whitapricorn cries a lot; Togepi ran off with Clefairy for a short-lived affair.

→ OTHER STUFF THAT MATTERS, SORT OF.
    Beneath Goldenrod: So many collectors, so many Poison types...so many Exp. Points for Kord. =] He also gets a Haircut (no, I don't know how either) from the Younger Hairdresser Brother. Oh, and Ethan gives me a Fashion Case. I use it to store extra Apricorns in, idk.
    National Park: Grinding, grinding, la la la. ...*twitch* WHY DOES EVERYBODY ELSE HAVE SNUBBULLS? DO WANT. ;~;
    Achy-Breaky Tree: Welp, it was broken by the time Mossa was done with it.

Aaaand I finally remembered to dig out my camera. TEAM PHOTO!

Spoiler:

Ngh...Route 38 is still sooo far away, and it contains the rest of my team. ;~; Snubbull, Miltank, Tauros, I WILL CATCH YOU ALL EVENTUALLY nah hah harrr.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Congratulations Sleet!

I defeated Brock and now I'm on my way to defeat Blaine. Blaine might be a bit of an issue considering steel is weak to fire:( I'm definitely going to train before I get there though. After reading some of the posts on here I realized that I completely forgot to go to MT Moon! So I'll have to go there and then to Dragon's Den and then I'm going back to the E4 after I defeat Blue to train my pokemon up some more before going to defeat Red.

My team:

Steel lv60
    Thunder fang
    Earthquake
    Fire fang
    Ice fang

Nyx lv61
    Steel Wing
    Peck
    Spikes
    Night Slash

Yin lv60
    Vacuum Wave
    X-scissor
    Slash
    Bullet Punch

Last edited:

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
    Ok, I started:

-Got Totodile, named him Aqua
    -Grinded to lv7 before proceeding to Mr Pokemon's house
    -Beat Rival, named him Paul (reference to anime since he treats his pokemon badly)
    -Went through Sprout Tower easily
    -Beat falkner. OHKO'd Pidgey with Bite, and 2HKO'd Pidgeotto with Bite
    -FINALLY got my Old Rod
    -Caught a Wooper (Terra), Tentacool (Ruby) and 2 Magikarps, decided to only use Wooper and Tentacool

Thats it for now. Next up, grinding Wooper and tentacool.

Team:

Aqua lv16
    Bashful Nature
    Bite
    Water Gun
    Leer
    Scratch

Ruby lv10
    Hardy Nature
    Poison Sting
    Supersonic
    Constrict

Terra lv6
    Hardy Nature
    Water Gun
    Mud Sport
    Growl? I know it's some random Normal move.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Gah, I've missed a lot and I'm way, WAY overdue for an update, sorry guys :( This comes from a DS having a mind of it's own and spending numerous days trying to fix it while saving to get a DSi :@ It's not cool at all.

First off, big shout outs and congratulations to Emoxy, Myzou, Sleet and Ian Watkins for completing their challenges :) Nice one girls and guys :D

With that out of the way, the next entry into my Grass Monotype challenge!

Ze Zeyphr Badge...or not

I'm actually scared over how I'm going to beat this gym with just Grass pokemon...sigh. Take the win Hoppip and Chikorita!

Where to begin?

-Grinded Hoppip to level 10, so it was battle ready with the best move in the games, no argument, Tackle.
    -Decided against talking to that man in a green outfit in the Pokemart. Yes, the Jirachi event is here :P quick reminded for you all :D
    -Took on the towering Sprout Tower with Hoppip and Chikorita, crying as I defeat the Grass-typed Bellsprouts, laughing manically as I slaughter the irrelevant typed Hoothoots.
    -Saw my rival Cyclone, getting bashed by the Eldar. Humourous, as he's a jerk. A big fat jerk.
    -Who must have heard me, as I started on him, though he quickly escape when I reminded him of his defeat at MY HANDS!
    -So I took on the Eldar and naturally, I won. Suck it. ****.
    -I got TM70 Flash. Great, just great. I can
    -Now I'm going to grind until both Chikorita and Hoppip have evolved before taking on Violet City Gym. Then Falkner can eat it.

CURRENT TEAM:

Redemption the Mild Chikorita

Level 13

-Razor Leaf
    -Tackle
    -Synthesis
    -Poison Powder

Ehh, may use this guy. May not. We'll see. Probably not. This guy is as useful as a glass hammer. All he does is get paralyzed and then die.

Fairie the Jolly Hoppip

Level 15

-Tackle
    -Poison powder
    -Synthesis
    -Sleep Powder

Finally this girl is coming around, it's proven to be very effective against Bellsprouts. Admittedly, they only know Vine Whip.

Sorry this is such a short update, you'd expect more from the amount of time I've been gone. :( I'll make this up with some other update, I promise, or if I get round to beat this Gym later today. :)

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
    Congratulations Sleet!

First off, big shout outs and congratulations to Emoxy, Myzou, Sleet and Ian Watkins for completing their challenges :) Nice one girls and guys :D

Good luck with Blaine Amberfunk :)
    Good luck with Falkner Corruptodile :)

Ehh, may use this guy. May not. We'll see. Probably not. This guy is as useful as a glass hammer. All he does is get paralyzed and then die.

Lol. Chikorita gets some pretty good HP when it fully evolves into Meganium mind you ;)

Last edited:

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Good luck with Falkner Corruptodile :)

Lol. Chikorita gets some pretty good HP when it fully evolves into Meganium mind you ;)

I may consider Meganium, it's a toss up between him and a Tangrowth. I'm leaning more towards a Tangrowth, so...

Years
    Thanks Corruptodile!
    (You might want to level Chikorita up a bit to get Reflect, though that'll be too much level grinding =P)
    Tangrowth gets killed by any special attack. XD

Oh ya, to all the people who're at Kanto (or those who want some extra challenge even after beating Red), you might want to try the double battle @ Dragon's Den:

1. Thrash rival @ Mt. Moon.
    2. Wait till Tue/Thurs/Sat.
    3. Go Dragon's Den.
    4. Find Rival training.
    5. Talk to him, attract Lance/Clair to come.
    6. Fight hard battle.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Thanks Sleet! Turns out I didn't need any luck going against Blaine. With a few hyper potions and revives I defeated him. Here's how the battle went because this was the most exciting out of all of the gym battles.

Nyx vs. Magcargo
    Steel wing
    Magcargo used overheat
    Nyx fainted
    Go Steel
    Steel used earthquake first with the help of quick claw
    Magcargo fainted

Steel vs Magmar
    Magmar used overheat
    Steel fainted
    Go Yin
    Revived Steel
    Magmar used overheat
    Yin fainted
    Go Steel
    Steel used earthquake with the help of quick claw
    Magmar fainted 1 hit ko

Steel vs Rapidash
    Rapidash used overheat
    Steel fainted
    Go Quilava
    Revived Steel
    Rapidash used quick attack
    Quilava fainted
    Go Steel
    Rapidash used overheat
    Steel fainted
    Go Vaporeon
    Revived Steel
    Rapidash used quick attack
    Vaporeon fainted
    Go Steel
    Used hyper potion on Steel
    Rapidash used overheat
    Used hyper potion on Steel
    Rapidash used overheat
    Steel used earthquake
    Rapidash fainted 1 hit ko

Now I'm stuck at dragon's den. I tried to do the double battle against Clair and Lance and they kept fainting my pokemon. I got so frustrated that I just turned it off. I'll try again tomorrow. Anyway now my team is at lv 65 and they all still have the same movesets.

Last edited:

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
    Years
    Well i was a bit impatient and took on Red earlier as planned, but first i ran to dragons den for the double battle. rivals pokemon fainted one after another. Delia had to fight alone, but in the end she was the single winner.

Here´s the Story of the last battle in my fighting challenge:

Spoiler:

That´s it, I´m a Champion.
    My line: "This was so much more intense than the normal game experience. You´ll learn to love Pokemon you never looked at before."

Here´s my final Team:

Spoiler:

well then. I´m signing up for the grass Challenge.
    Update´s coming soon.

Years
    Now I'm stuck at dragon's den. I tried to do the double battle against Clair and Lance and they kept fainting my pokemon. I got so frustrated that I just turned it off. I'll try again tomorrow. Anyway now my team is at lv 65 and they all still have the same movesets.

Haha tough right... ><

That´s it, I´m a Champion.
    My line: "This was so much more intense than the normal game experience. You´ll learn to love Pokemon you never looked at before."

Congratulations Dragonsfreak! Hope you had fun :D

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Hmm, I might actually do a Psychic Challenge...

With Xatu, Girafarig, Jynx, Exeggutor, and Slowbro. (Since I can't get slowking without trading, and to my knowledge, you can't do that on an emulator ._.)

My only issue is WHEN to evolve Exeggcute, due to the fact he learns different moves as Exeggutor/Cute. o_o

Also the fact that you can't get a psychic type until after you beat the Slowpoke Well, unless I'm mistaken... Natu MIGHT be accessible before, not sure.

EDIT: Nope... Xatu isn't available until after you're like, 6th badge o_o *sigh* I don't really want to fight Falkner with Unown, XD At least I can get Slowpoke to fight Bugsy... but god. XD Anyone know when Girafarig is available? Exeggcute is available in trees after headbutt... Jynx is in Ice Path, and Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well. Xatu is afteryou get surf and go through Union Cave... but not sure bout Girafarig.

Last edited:

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    You can get Girafarig in Routes 43 and 48, and in the Safari Zone (I think).

Edit:
    Very quick update.

-Went back to Azalea Town and asked Kurt to make some.. . balls. Hehe.
    -Went inside the gym. This should be easy. Gojira has Rock Slide, Scarface has Peck and Garmr has Ember.
    -Beat his pathetic trainers.
    -Battlin' Bugsy!

NOT GOOD
    The website I use to crop the white part of my paint images out is not accepting PNG files, even if the error messages say they only accept a few file types, INCLUDING PNG. What f****ts.

-Bugsy sent out Metapod after his Scyther U-Turned. Lol noob. Who uses Metapod? Scarface 2HKO'd him with Peck, and then learned Wing Attack. Sweet!
    -Bugsy sent out Scyther again, I sent out Gojira. Scyther uses Focus Energy, and Gojira uses Rock Slide. 1HKO!
    -I send out Garmr, Bugsy sends out... KAKUNA? Can't he evolve his two cocoon Pokemon?! Garm 1HKOs with Crit Ember.
    Gg no re kthxbye
    Notes about the gym leader: I always thought Bugsy would look better as a girl.

My current team:

Slowpoke is awesome.

I changed my overworld sprite to Lucas by using an AR code. Type
    'SoulSilver Player Modifier AR Code' or something like that in Google.
    I like Lucas because of his kangol hat.

-Rival rumble!

Silver'd look good as a girl, too.

-Garmr 2HKO'd Gastly with Ember.
    -Gojira 1HKO'd Zubat with Rock Slide after a DD.
    -Scarface 3HKO'd Bayleef with Wing Attack. Stupid Reflect.
    -Won the battle! Naoya's still as full of pride as ever, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    Hmm, I might actually do a Psychic Challenge...

With Xatu, Girafarig, Jynx, Exeggutor, and Slowbro. (Since I can't get slowking without trading, and to my knowledge, you can't do that on an emulator ._.)

My only issue is WHEN to evolve Exeggcute, due to the fact he learns different moves as Exeggutor/Cute. o_o

Also the fact that you can't get a psychic type until after you beat the Slowpoke Well, unless I'm mistaken... Natu MIGHT be accessible before, not sure.

EDIT: Nope... Xatu isn't available until after you're like, 6th badge o_o *sigh* I don't really want to fight Falkner with Unown, XD At least I can get Slowpoke to fight Bugsy... but god. XD Anyone know when Girafarig is available? Exeggcute is available in trees after headbutt... Jynx is in Ice Path, and Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well. Xatu is afteryou get surf and go through Union Cave... but not sure bout Girafarig.

EJ allows pseudo-trading via save file editing, I asked before, it's up to you whether you wanna do it. :D (I asked for Gengar when I was deciding the other time)

Natu is available after Surf iirc, not sure if Strength is required.

Can evolve Exeggcute at Level 47 (Psychic), get Leaf Storm via Exeggutor. Wood Hammer (Level 37) runs off lousier Attack stat.

Girafarig is available after 3rd gym, go through Mt. Mortar to Mahogany town and go up. (I used it :D)

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
    Years
    Congratulations Dragonsfreak! Hope you had fun :D

Thanks, it was aa great experience and a lot of fun, that´s why i´m doing a Grass challenge.

to make it official

Name: Dragonsfreak
    Type: Grass
    Version: HeartGold

Update

Well, my names Flowers. Why? I dunno...
    My journey startet as i switched off the wii and went downstairs. I just entered the room as my mother shouted at me, because i forgot my bag and other stuff in the living room. She told me that Elm wanted to see me...sigh...I went outside and bumped into that stupid girl Lyra...geez...don´t listen to her and got to Elm. Elm talks as much as Lyra. Shortly before i got my Pokemon he got a call from a Mr. Pokemon...stupid name. And if it´s not enough, Elm sent me lookin for Mr. Pokemon´s dicovery. At least i got my Pokemon. I choose Chikorita, cause I somehow felt a connection, and named her Bloom.
    Frustrated by my task, I smasched many wild Pokemon on my way to Mr. Pokemon. There arrived, i got crashed again by a wave of words, but hey...i got a Pokedex. I went back to Elm, but stopped in Cherrygrove cause a wannabe-bigshot stood in my way. I finished him off in a few seconds and went back to Elm. There i was arrested cause that dumb officer thought I had stolen one of Elm´s Pokes. The situation cleared up, I handed over the egg and endured the talk.
    Finally i can start my Journey. I went to violet and caught a Bellsprout. I named her Jil. I trained Jil so it became lv. 11, then I entered the Sprout Tower. It was a peace of cake. Afterards I trained Bloom til evolution and challenged that Falkner guy. Synthesis is a great move. Falkner annoyed me with Roost but Bloom poisoned his Pidgeotto. It was only a matter of time til my victory. I got a call from Elm. He wants me to hatch the egg. As If i have the time for Babysitting. But i´m a kind person and took the egg from that Nerd. Then, when i thought i could move on a weird girl starts to talk with me...Why is everyone talking so much...

Bloom
    lv. 16

Tackle
    Razor Leaf
    Poison Powder
    Synthesis

Jil
    lv. 13

Vine Whip
    Growth
    Wrap

Last edited:

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Any tips on how to defeat Whitney? Is it alright for me to switch my Pokemons' genders so Miltank will just shut up?
    Whitney's Miltank is being a Nazi now.

Edit: Let me try setting up Dragon Dance while Clefairy is alive. That worked for me with DDDos while fighting Blissey.
    EDIT # 2: Screw this, I'm going to train.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    EJ allows pseudo-trading via save file editing, I asked before, it's up to you whether you wanna do it. :D (I asked for Gengar when I was deciding the other time)

Natu is available after Surf iirc, not sure if Strength is required.

Can evolve Exeggcute at Level 47 (Psychic), get Leaf Storm via Exeggutor. Wood Hammer (Level 37) runs off lousier Attack stat.

Girafarig is available after 3rd gym, go through Mt. Mortar to Mahogany town and go up. (I used it :D)

Thanks.

XD I have no idea how to do the save file editing, would you mind explaining? XD (In PM, obviously, :P) As I'd much prefer Slowking over Slowbro, Just due to movepool (nasty Plot, XD), ASAP. AKA, when I beat Whitney. XD (The Pokeathlon has King's Rocks, which most people don't notice, X)

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks.

XD I have no idea how to do the save file editing, would you mind explaining? XD (In PM, obviously, :P) As I'd much prefer Slowking over Slowbro, Just due to movepool (nasty Plot, XD), ASAP. AKA, when I beat Whitney. XD (The Pokeathlon has King's Rocks, which most people don't notice, X)

Use PokeSav to edit your Slowpoke into Slowking if you're using a ROM.
    Use https://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php to convert your normal savefile into a 512k one.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Use https://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php to convert your normal savefile into a 512k one.

Unfortunately, that really doesn't help, lol. XD My knowledge of ROMs is extremely limited. :P

Obviously, the game hasn't been started yet, just for future use, I'd like to know how o_o

Anyway:

Name: Myzou
    Game: HeartGold
    Type: Psychic

I will be going as Fyn in the game though. Thought I'd change it up a bit and go by my name in my actual SoulSilver game, :P Plus, Lyra's hair is starting to bug me. >_>

Not starting yet, but can't hurt to be put on the list. :P

Last edited:

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    -Training for Whitney. Her Clefable's fine, but her Miltank is a freaking demon.
    -Bought a LOT of stuff. I have no more Pokedollars left.
    Too lazy to crop the white stuff out.
    Pokemon needs more loli gym leaders like Candice and Maylene :3

-Setting up Dragon Dance with Gojira on Clefairy... a bit. A Dragon Danced Clefairy is fierce with her Metronome, though. Clefairy dies to a Rock Smash!
    -A fierce +6 Attack FALCOWN PAWN- I meant Rock Smash easily took out Miltank!
    -THE ROCK SMASH HAS VANQUISHED THE HORRIBLE COW

Shut up and stop crying, Whitney, your cow was the one that made my Pokemon cry.

-Going to try and find a Dusk Stone in the Pokeathlon Dome!
    -Augh! The Pokeathlon makes my arms hurt and makes my emulator lag. I'll just have to try more for that Stone!

Last edited:
    Years
    Thanks.

iirc as Pokeathlon games progress the emulator slows down to like, 20%?

Will send you a PM now.

If you edit no$gba.ini, and change this line:
    SAV/SNA File Format == Raw
    The word "Raw" without "" must be exact casing, R is upper-case.
    This will make no$gba save in 512kb, and saves the need for converting.

Pokemon needs more loli gym leaders like Candice and Maylene :3

I think Whitney's pretty, too. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back