• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    I've been really busy the past few days with work, so I haven't been playing as much as I used to. But I did take a first whack at Kanto, before battling my little brother with my Ice-team.

I lost, but he had a level 54 Charizard, and a Level 55 Lugia.

I did take out Sabrina, easily, with my Weavile and my Jynx. I'll update more as I get further, but my team's pretty solid as it is.

Weavile Level 45
    Faint Attack
    Dark Slash
    Avalanche
    Metal Claw

:t124: Jynx Level 45
    Blizzard
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Sing

Glaceon Level 44
    Blizzard
    Hail
    Ice Beam
    Ice Fang

Mamoswine level 44
    Earthquake
    Ancient Power (wanting to replace this with rockslide, if possible. Any suggestions?)
    Avalanche
    Strength

:t091:Cloyster Level 45
    Surf
    Blizzard
    Supersonic
    Clamp

:t131: Lapras Level 45 (My tank)
    Waterfall
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Ice beam

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • Hi!
    well, I'm gonna play in a sec but look at my signature! its not perfect but it'll work for now.
    GROUND TYPE CHALLENGE

• went to sudowoodo, without a squirtbottle...
    • going back to goldenrod, UHGGG
    • is it just me or did i see lucas's mom in the terminal between saffron and that small route?
    • squirtbottle! that i cant read!!!
    • gonna catcha soodowoodo, then put in a box
    • whoa, an evil psychic
    • EVOLUTION TO GRAVELER
    • why do i never go to a pokemon center?
    • gravelers my last gut...
    • lol, dumbass abra
    • using leer and teleport LOL
    • a nerd is gonna fight me! what joy
    • i waz killed by a nerd cuz i didnt heal...

Last edited:

LeeBee

♔✩♔
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Haven't had all that much time to get on Pokemon today, so it'll be a pretty short, uneventful update this evening 。゜(>д<)゜。

• After a fairly short walk, arrived in Violet City.
      "Peggy and her newly acquired Misdreavus took to the road, unable to sleep or settle for the night due to the stream of emotions running through her head. She couldn't take her eyes off the levitating Pokemon at her side, conflicting emotions as to the Eerie woman's earlier words, "..I have a feeling this Pokemon would serve you better." What exactly did she mean? As her feet took her away from the small town, grass brushed against her side. Peggy hardly took any notice, the tiny, floating Pokemon seemed just as puzzled as her Trainer, new to the world and unsure of the life that she had in front of her. The grass seemed to grow taller, Peggy glanced quickly upward, stumbling in to a young boy with a fairly self assured Rattata at his side. Peggy paused, glancing quickly down to Misdreavus..."
    • Climbed Sprout Tower, and recieved TM Flash from the Elder. While there, captured Two Gastly, that will become staple members of my party!
      "As Misdreavus floated softly by her Trainer's side, she couldn't help but feel a smug sense of satisfaction. Although she was very young, there were few Pokemon that stood for long infront of her Psywave. Peggy still didn't seem sure of her, but what had she done? She had heard Peggy whisper to herself, speaking of 'Totodile'. What was a Totodile exactly?! She knew what a Pidgey was now, she knew that she had very little to fear from the critters that stalked the grass, none of them yet had seemed to have the nerve to harm her! She shook her head a little, and refocused as she glanced upward, almost gasping as she looked past her trainer, and upward to the large tower infront of them. Lost in thought and confusion, she had almost ignored the fact they were even in a city, but now noticing this place, she knew she was in for some fun! The sensation of her own type, Ghost Pokemon, was all around it. For the first time in her short life, she felt a comfortable sense of mischief, and excitement for the things to come..."
    • Honestly, it was a veeeeeery long trip to Violet City. With only having Misdreavus and her lousy Psywave, battles were taking forever. With it's equally lousy 15pp, it was trips to the Pokecenter every few battles. Long, arduous and not something I'd like to repeat! Huuzah for Astonish, though. A shame it wont do much good against the upcoming Gym leader... I'll have to train Gastlyx2 up to around 13 so as to get Curse, and hope to stand a chance against the annoying normal types!
    • Am going to start having a look for Duskull on 'Winners Path', hopefully it's as common as I'm lead to believe. *Le sigh* I don't really like the Pokewalker.

Current Team

Unusual Lass Peggy

Misdreavus♀, Level 15
    Confuse Ray
    Psywave
    Spite
    Astonish

Gastly♀, Level 5
    Hypnosis
    Lick
    Spite

Gastly♀, Level 5
    Hypnosis
    Lick
    Spite

Last edited:

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • No time for a real update.

Kicked Sage ass.
    Kicked Faulkner's ass.
    Met strange woman that stole mah egg, then gave it back.
    Left Violet City.
    Went through cave.
    Left cave.
    Entered Azalea Town.
    Kicked Rocket ass.
    Kicked Bugsy's ass.
    Kicked Silver's ass.
    END.

Years
  • Back from my Genting vacation! Riding rollercoasters with friends sure was fun.

I know what you're probably thinking...no I'm not overleveled...I just don't have time to finish updating...

You got me -.- When are you evolving your Nidos? Level 43?

Mamoswine level 44
    Earthquake
    Ancient Power (wanting to replace this with rockslide, if possible. Any suggestions?)
    Avalanche
    Strength

Rock Slide/Stone Edge would work, or get Blizzard for physical walls?

Hi!
    well, I'm gonna play in a sec but look at my signature! its not perfect but it'll work for now.
    GROUND TYPE CHALLENGE

That's a really nice banner you have there.
    And I really like your updates redsaber, that's lotsa enthusiasm you have there :D Keep it up!

LeeBee are you a ficwriter? Cool stories!

I think I'll be playing a little bit tonight, but don't expect large updates until 14th June.. that's when I get back my desktop for speed fun XD

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    My Mamoswine rolled with EQ, Rock Slide, Ice Shard, and Icy wind.

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
    Years
  • Hey! I am just starting with my Dark-monotype challenge,I don't have eggs yet,and didn't even leave the house but I want to set everything now! I'll save before leaving Mr.Pokemon's house...
    My team will be:
    Houndour
    Nasty Plot
    Flamethrower
    Thunder Fang
    Dark Pulse

Absol
    Zen Headbutt
    Bounce
    Swords Dance
    Faint Attack

Those movesets are legit I checked them at Serebii :)

Years
  • Hey EJ, just popping in to let you know I haven't had time to post an update as I'm still helping out an adult friend and undergoing treatment on my back which I injured Tuesday afternoon. I would've posted an update today, but I don't have enough time, so I'll try and do it on Tuesday. And speaking of Tuesday, updates will be irregular as I'm doing the aforementioned jobs as well as watching my anime on youtube and reading an excellent series of books. I hope you understand.

Years
  • Hey! I am just starting with my Dark-monotype challenge,I don't have eggs yet,and didn't even leave the house but I want to set everything now! I'll save before leaving Mr.Pokemon's house...

Hahaha Kurumi I've decided to do Dark type too -.-

Hey EJ, just popping in to let you know I haven't had time to post an update as I'm still helping out an adult friend and undergoing treatment on my back which I injured Tuesday afternoon. I would've posted an update today, but I don't have enough time, so I'll try and do it on Tuesday. And speaking of Tuesday, updates will be irregular as I'm doing the aforementioned jobs as well as watching my anime on youtube and reading an excellent series of books. I hope you understand.

Take care and get well soon!!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Hey EJ, just popping in to let you know I haven't had time to post an update as I'm still helping out an adult friend and undergoing treatment on my back which I injured Tuesday afternoon. I would've posted an update today, but I don't have enough time, so I'll try and do it on Tuesday. And speaking of Tuesday, updates will be irregular as I'm doing the aforementioned jobs as well as watching my anime on youtube and reading an excellent series of books. I hope you understand.

Now, now you know I understand =] It's all good.

But yeah still no luck with my game...

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Sign me up for the Water Monotype Challenge.

Faust

Current team:

~ Simon Lv.7, Naughty Nature. "What? Did you expect maybe... a Cyndaquil?"

Pokemon SoulSilver hates NO$GBA, too many crashes and glitches.. I'm gonna put this challenge off until later.

Last edited:

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
    Years
  • OMG! Pokesav did not work with Nosgba but worked with Desmume! I had hard time getting everything set up,so Cherrygrove looks horrible in my eyes now,lolcakes. But I hatched the eggs and I am ready for the adventure!
    And yes,You can get eggs in Cherrygrove after getting Pokedex,checked more than twice and by myself talking to nice looking lady.
    LET'S GET IT STARTED,WOOT!
    *nomnomscandies*
    Rash Houndour "Dreadhound" Level 1 /w Flash Fire
    Nasty Plot
    Thunder Fang
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    I needed a Special Sweeper... Only this pokemon qualified. I wanted to use Murkrow as one of my Pokemon,but I can get it and it's bad comparing it to Absol.
    Adamant Absol "Perish" Level 1 /w Super Luck
    Zen Headbutt
    Bounce
    Swords Dance
    Faint Attack

I needed Pokemon which would counter Fighting types... Murkrow would do good,but... Houndour. Absol will be my Attack Sweeper with awesome moveset.

WOOT FOR ADVENTURE!

Years
  • I want to do the monotype challange with shaymin in soul silver. Is there a action replay code to get a level 1 shaymin in soul silver? I know the rules say no legendaries but I don't care, shaymin is my favourite! :badsmile:

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • I want to do the monotype challange with shaymin in soul silver. Is there a action replay code to get a level 1 shaymin in soul silver? I know the rules say no legendaries but I don't care, shaymin is my favourite! :badsmile:

You can't do the Monotype Challenge with a Shaymin. Not only is that breaking the Legendary Rule, but you can get at least two Grass-type Pokemon before facing Faulkner.

So, no to Shaymin, and no the the Legendaries. If you don't want to follow the rules, then don't post.

:)

This is the actual update of everything that happened from Sprout Tower, all the way up to Ilex Forest. Enjoy. This update won't have screenshots either, because I typed this up on Microsoft Word. Pokecommunity needs a way to just drag and drop pictures from my computer directly onto the site. It'd make updates so much easier. Oh, and just as an extra note, I'll be actually trying to catch as many Pokémon as possible, to make it seem more like a 'Let's Play'.

• · Well, after raging over Gastly Paralyzing Derp, we made our way farther into Sprout Tower, defeating Sage Chow on the first floor. Heh, Chow. Funny name. Even Derp is laughing at Chow. Speaking of Derp, she used Slam attack on all Chow's Bellsprout and took them out before they were five seconds out of their balls.
    • · Nabbed an X-Accuracy on the second floor. Whoever keeps dropping things on the floor has really good taste in items.
    • · Oh Christ, it's the purple rat again! This time, you shall be captured, rat!
    • · Derp killed him. Whoops. Maybe I should've just thrown a Pokéball at him?
    • · Derp used Slam! And destroyed all of Sage Edmond's Pokémon. Sucks for him, I guess.
    • · On the fourth (?) floor, I beat down Sages Jin, Neal, and Troy.
    • · Found another little rat. This time, I just threw a Pokéball at it. Caught it on the first ball.

Height: 1'00" Weight: 7.7lbs
    Habitat: Grasslands Type: Normal

Rattata is a small, but unspecialized rodent. Its most notable feature is its large teeth. Like most rodents their teeth grow continuously throughout its life, and must be constantly worn down by gnawing. It has long whiskers and a long, slightly curled tail. Rattata has purple fur on its back, and cream colored fur on its stomach. This coloration (dark on top, light on bottom) is a common protective mechanism for many small animals.

• · Rattata came with a gift! A Chilan Berry! That's always awesome. Why doesn't Rattata have an ability named 'Scavenger'? Seriously, isn't that what rats do, scavenge?
    • · Oh great, the redhead's back. Now, he's whining about other people, and how they're weak. Silver, if everyone's weak, but I beat you, does that mean I'm stronger than everyone?
    • · I challenged Elder Li, and promptly beat him down with Derp Slam. Does that count as not respecting your elders? Derp gained a level from slamming down Bellsprout, so Totodile will be taking over for a bit. But first, I gotta go catch me some Pogeymanz.
    • · Oh yeah, and Li gave me the TM for Flash. Flash sucks though. So what if it lights up caves? A flashlight does the same exact thing and, contrary to popular belief, does not suck. Found me an Escape Rope, but, instead of using it, I actually walked down all the stairs. I could use this rope for later caves.
    • · Left Sprout Tower, and sped off to the Pokémon Center. Healed up my team, even though they didn't really take any damage (besides Slam missing from time to time), and we headed off the Pokémon Mart. We stocked up on some Pokéballs, and trekked to Route 31, to catch some new Pokémon.
    • · In a timespan of twenty minutes, me, Totodile, and Derp caught all the different types of Pokémon on Route 31 that we could. Here's a list of 'em.

Height: 1'00" Weight: 7.1lbs
    Habitat: Forest Type: Bug/Poison

Weedle is a small, yellow larva Pokémon with a segmented body. Weedle has dark, circular eyes, many little pink feet and a pink, round nose. Weedle has a stinger on both its tail and head. Its bright coloration is intended to warn off its enemies. Weedle generally prefer to remain undisturbed. They live in colonies with their evolved forms, Kakuna and Beedrill, and will recruit them to assist in their revenge if bothered.

Height: 2'00" Weight: 22.0lbs
    Habitat: Forest Type: Bug/Poison

Kakuna is a yellow, cone-shaped cocoon Pokémon. Kakuna has a dome-shaped head and black, triangular eyes. When a Kakuna comes close to evolving, its body gives off heat that makes it warm to the touch. Kakuna mostly stay still and wait for evolution often hanging from tree branches by long strands of silk.

Height: 1'00" Weight: 4.0lbs
    Habitat: Forest Type: Normal/Flying

Pidgey resembles a small, plump-bodied bird. It is a brown color, with a lighter colored throat and belly. The tips of its wings share this cream color. Both its feet and beak are a pinkish-gray color. Its plumage is fairly nondescript, particularly compared to its evolutions Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. It has black markings around its eyes and a small crest of brown and cream feathers above its eyes. It resembles other small Flying-type Pokémon such as Starly, Taillow, and Spearow. However, due to the fact that (with the exception of Spearow) these Pokémon tend to be unique to a region, it is likely that they are a result of divergent evolution. Pidgey's feet allow it to walk on the ground for a while but can also reach out and safely land on perches.

Height: 2'04" Weight: 8.8lbs
    Habitat: Forest Type: Grass/Poison

Despite their small size, Bellsprout are versatile. Their stem is long, thin and very flexible, making then capable of swerving rapidly to avoid many attacks it is weak to or move with blinding speed to capture prey. They can use their roots to replenish moisture and health from the ground if they get hit. They can also channel their roots through the ground to trip foes. They can also use their feet as insulator.

• · Well, after doing a bit of research, I found out that the only Pokémon I haven't caught yet on this Route don't come out until early morning, or late at night. Since I've got no plans on waiting around, I guess we're off to Dark Cave.
    • · My ragtag group of misfits and I ventured into the appropriately named 'Dark Cave'. After stumbling around in the dark for a while, we finally managed to find the exit. Problem is, it was actually the entrance we used earlier! Oh well, at least we caught some new Pokémon.

Height: 1'04" Weight: 44.1lbs
    Habitat: Mountain Type: Rock/Ground

Geodude usually sit still on mountain paths or in caves, which is why they are often mistaken for rocks. Geodude uses its arms to steadily climb steep mountain paths, hoisting itself over. Geodude also uses its arms to swing its fists around when angered, such as when it is carelessly stepped upon. Geodude are proud of their sturdy bodies and bash against each other in a contest of sorts to prove whose body is harder. When Geodude sleeps deeply, it buries itself halfway into the ground, and will not awaken even if it is stepped upon. In the morning Geodude rolls downhill in search of food.

Height: 2'07" Weight: 16.5lbs
    Habitat: Caves Type: Bug/Flying

Zubat is a small, blue bat-like Pokémon. It has two long, skinny tails. Zubat's face lacks any eyes and a nose. The insides of Zubat's ears and undersides of its wings are purple. Zubat's wings are supported by elongated 'fingers', and four teeth can be discerned from inside its mouth, two on the lower jaw and two on the upper. Zubat is mostly nocturnal, forming colonies in perpetually dark places and hanging upside-down when asleep. When they awake, Zubat will constantly swarm around caves during the night-time. Zubat avoids sunlight and bright places because prolonged exposure to the sun causes its body to become slightly burned, and otherwise causing it to become unhealthy.

• · And with those two new party members in tow, we left Dark Cave behind us. Next stop, Violet City, and then, Violet City Gym!
    Next time, I'll show you how badly we kicked Faulkner's ass!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokemon SoulSilver hates NO$GBA, too many crashes and glitches.. I'm gonna put this challenge off until later.

I think it's playable, I've completed a Bug challenge with it so there shouldn't be any problems. Just remember to restart often.

OMG! Pokesav did not work with Nosgba but worked with Desmume! I had hard time getting everything set up,so Cherrygrove looks horrible in my eyes now,lolcakes. But I hatched the eggs and I am ready for the adventure!

Spoiler:

I want to do the monotype challange with shaymin in soul silver. Is there a action replay code to get a level 1 shaymin in soul silver? I know the rules say no legendaries but I don't care, shaymin is my favourite! :badsmile:

EJ hates rule breaking. Besides, where's the fun with legendaries?

I guess Slam sure is powerful early on Arcelio :D And love your comment on flash and flashlights. XD

I won't be starting my dark challenge until tomorrow night the earliest :( I'll be super busy with school activities, so I'll try to update as much as I can.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't want a regular legendary shaymin, it would never listen. I want to use a cheat to catch a level 1 shaymin. I'd have to use chikorita until the shaymin gets to level 10 anyway because shaymin only knows growth until level 10. I can't find an action replay code to catch a wild level 1 shaymin, so I'm going to hold off on the monotype challenge... maybe until I get the japanese white version.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • I don't want a regular legendary shaymin, it would never listen. I want to use a cheat to catch a level 1 shaymin. I'd have to use chikorita until the shaymin gets to level 10 anyway because shaymin only knows growth until level 10. I can't find an action replay code to catch a wild level 1 shaymin, so I'm going to hold off on the monotype challenge... maybe until I get the japanese white version.

I don't think you're listening.

NO LEGENDARIES. It does not matter how you obtain them. They are banned from this challenge.

Not only that, but Action Replay is also discouraged, unless you're going under a challenge where you don't have early access to a Pokemon of the type you're using (Fighting, Dark, ect, ect). Grass does not have that problem.

So, pick a different type, and don't use a Legendary Pokemon.

kthnx

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Thanks arcelio for clarifying that.

Let me rephrase that though: "ABSOLUTELY NO LEGENDARIES!"

Oh and you should care, either you follow the rules or you don't compete. ; )

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
  • I did it!!!
    I finally complete my mono Psychic challenge!!!

Red was maybe hard to beat, but with Hail, good defense pokemon and Medicine, it is possible to stall him :)

My final team:
    Girafarig - Twistedspoon - Lv 63
    Naive - Inner Focus
    - Psychic
    - Crunch
    - Strength
    - Return

Slowking - Mystic Water - Lv 63
    Careful - Own Tempo
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Psychic