• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter!

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
Years
  • Ehem. My favourite is my avatar. These pseudowyverns are awesome. Well, I know that some people don't like them. I also like Rathalos, Rathian, Jinouga, Barioth, Nargacuga and Akantor (I call him Akanya).

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Ehem. My favourite is my avatar. These pseudowyverns are awesome. Well, I know that some people don't like them. I also like Rathalos, Rathian, Jinouga, Barioth, Nargacuga and Akantor (I call him Akanya).
    The only ones I don't reconize are the one in your avatar, the Jinouga & the Nargacura...

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • My lord, I haven't played Monster Hunter Tri in a while. I played for days straight when I got it around Dec/Jan though. Online though, because I enjoy playing with others.

I stopped after awhile mostly because the people I played with weren't open for playing much anymore. I KNOW I would play more if I had people to play with, and I could get past other distractions and get back into the game. LOVE playing online~

Anyway, I'm a full-blown lancer. I rely on blocking tactics and whatnot, and it works out because I don't like to use the best armor. I like to use what I think looks good. xD;; So I actually feel more accomplished for coming out intact. ^.^

I only have MHTri, but if anyone ever wants to play, I would totally try and meet up with them. o:

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I play monster hunter. I'm pretty darn good at the game, but once i started getting high rank guild quests i got stepped all over. So i'm more of a casual MH player now. Lol I HATE high rank quests. Too many freaken one hit kills it makes me rage quit. And is it me or is MHP3rd waaaaaaaay easier than unite? In mhp3rd i feel like im constantly in the monster's face shredding the crap out of it, but in unite i feel like im playing hit and run...Havent gotten to mhp3rd's high rank quests yet, but looking at unite's im not looking forward to them...I just wanna fight everything on low rank x3 Maybe the monster's stamina made mhp3rd easier, and the new combos/attacks are better now.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I got Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite!

The Hunting Horn is a pretty dang interesting weapon, as are the Gunlances.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I want to ask, now that I'm at HR6 in MHFU and can fight Fatalis (normal black one at Castle Schrade), how can I damage it efficiently? The problem with guides is that they tend to cover how to avoid its attacks, which is easy enough for me to work out myself, yet they don't go into much detail about landing one's own hits. It's a difficult monster to judge the outcome of one's actions upon, so if anyone should have experience with the black dragon, please enlighten me.

I play monster hunter. I'm pretty darn good at the game, but once i started getting high rank guild quests i got stepped all over. So i'm more of a casual MH player now. Lol I HATE high rank quests. Too many freaken one hit kills it makes me rage quit.
    Guild-hall is unforgiving at high rank, the dual Tigrex urgent quest especially. I find it advisable that one should go through the Chief's quests before low-rank guild, and Nekoht's quests before high-rank guild. Only G-level ought to start turning the player away.

Ideally one should fight in fully-upgraded armour, 150 health and stamina, with weapons that exploit weaknesses.
    Example: Rathalos is weak to water, dragon and paralysis, and if you use a sword then cutting his tail off quickly can save a lot of trouble.
    A more in-depth example would be Tigrex: While it is clearly weak to thunder and less so to dragon, did you know it will go for poisoned/tainted/drugged meat after it's been fighting a while (apparently every 15 minutes)? Sleep-bombing hurts a lot, as does a hammer golfswing twice across a paralysed jaw. Taking away its mobility with flash bombs and traps isn't a bad thing, either, unless you're a sort of fair-fighter.

I understand you probably aren't playing MHFU anymore, but those monsters do both reappear in MHP3rd. As I said though, just examples. If you have a good think about what you're doing in-game and try different things, you can surprise yourself and find your own fun ways through life as a hunter. I'll be the first to admit that I've thrown flash and sonic bombs at a Khezu just to see if they did anything (answer: no), and I think I'll enjoy finding a way to troll Jinōga when MHP3rd comes my way.

Maybe you know all this though, sorry if so.

And is it me or is MHP3rd waaaaaaaay easier than unite? In mhp3rd i feel like im constantly in the monster's face shredding the crap out of it, but in unite i feel like im playing hit and run...Havent gotten to mhp3rd's high rank quests yet, but looking at unite's im not looking forward to them...I just wanna fight everything on low rank x3 Maybe the monster's stamina made mhp3rd easier, and the new combos/attacks are better now.
    Along with that, hitboxes for monster attacks were fixed in third generation games; no more Plesioth hipchecks, heh... Also, two felyne comrades.

I got Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite!

The Hunting Horn is a pretty dang interesting weapon
    Also among the weakest, as physical attacks go. Listed damage ≠ actual damage. Shame really... Apparently much improved in MHP3rd though, if it matters to say.
    Still, if you have a good fighting felyne it could work, I imagine. The Dragonwood Horn is apparently a good choice. I'd personally prefer Hidden Tone —which has the same note set— since I'm one for sharpness and affinity over status-infliction, but you can't get it until much later.

Last edited:

TiTaN.JuStIn

Years
  • Cassino. You're one Monster Hunter expert. But me and my friends cheated during G-rank quests because we had hardship to reach HR 9 and fight Uganlos. For example, we would go fight against Rathalos and prepare 15 flashbombs(It is possible. Just take 5 flashbombs and items needed to make flashbomb-flashbug and bomb material) and 3 pitfall traps each (2 trap tools and 2 nets). Then after 20 minutes, it is good as dead, even though at least one person will die because of its strong rage mode attacks. So, I personally think using too much items is not unfair and it is like an another strategy to fight against hard monsters.

About hunting horns, they are both strong and weak. Hunting horns are slow and weak (even though the written damage is high), but you can buff your friends with Attack Up, Defense Up, No Stamina Loss and etc. So, if you have friends, it is okay to use hunting horn. Well, I am a hunting horn user in Dragon Lords.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Maybe I'm better than I think I am, then. I'm soloing generally without spare combines. I'm not actually at G-level yet though, might start the flash/trap spam then. Since you've got friends to play with, you could try repeated sleep-bombing, might be more fun. :)

Is Dragon Lords your MH clan?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I'm still trying to decide what to use on Freedom unite...
    Because of where I live, I have to do my hunting alone...

& I'd like to get an all-purpose weapon...

From what I remember, I can use a Great Sword, Heavy Bowgun or Hammer with the highest listed raw damage as such.

So far, I'm liking the Heavy Bowgun best...
    (I'm hoping to get a good 1 that can use multiple elemental shots.
    Although, I think I'll survive with Pellet & Pierce shots. & Normal lv.2 shots, too, which I understand is better than lv.3 for the most part.)

I'd like some recommedations for what weapon would work best for a solo hunter like me.

Garringman

Erupting Nightmare
    Years
  • I like Monster Hunter Tri I'm HR 30 still needing to kill the Jhen Mohran but I've heard that many good weapons were taken out because of space I guess but I would love to use the Dual Swords and the bow, but sadly I don't own a PSP I also really want to fight the Jinouga and the Aoshira.

I'd like some recommedations for what weapon would work best for a solo hunter like me.
    A Switch Axe can do some pretty good damage in both modes and it seems a bit easier to use when its in the sword mode, plus they have Sword Phials which in some cases can even be elements.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I like Monster Hunter Tri I'm HR 30 still needing to kill the Jhen Mohran but I've heard that many good weapons were taken out because of space I guess but I would love to use the Dual Swords and the bow, but sadly I don't own a PSP I also really want to fight the Jinouga and the Aoshira.

A Switch Axe can do some pretty good damage in both modes and it seems a bit easier to use when its in the sword mode, plus they have Sword Phials which in some cases can even be elements.
    I already specialize in the Swicth Axe on Tri for the Wii...
    I was talking about Freedom Unite, for the PSP.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm still trying to decide what to use on Freedom unite...
    Because of where I live, I have to do my hunting alone...

& I'd like to get an all-purpose weapon...

From what I remember, I can use a Great Sword, Heavy Bowgun or Hammer with the highest listed raw damage as such.

So far, I'm liking the Heavy Bowgun best...
    (I'm hoping to get a good 1 that can use multiple elemental shots.
    Although, I think I'll survive with Pellet & Pierce shots. & Normal lv.2 shots, too, which I understand is better than lv.3 for the most part.)

Greatsword/Longsword tree

Hammer/Hunting Horn tree

Heavy Bowgun list

Have a look.
    My raw greatsword of choice is the Bronze Coin path (if you make a Carbalite Sword first you can upgrade it into Bronze Coin and not have to spend 20 black pearls).
    For a heavy bowgun, Quickcaster (& higher ranked equivalents) might suit you. The Lao-Shan Lung Cannon (& again, higher ranked equivalents) is the most powerful HBG (save at G-rank, wherein the most powerful is the Ukanlos Cannon) but lacks freeze S.
    While I'm not familiar with hammers at all, I understand the Diablos and Onslaught ones are popular. Suppose the irony of the Diablos series is that you need to cut off its tail (requiring cutting damage, which hammers don't do) to make one. That said, it seems to come off extremely easily.

Last edited:

TiTaN.JuStIn

Years
  • Dragon Lords is a group of hunters, consisting of Nomad (Long Sword, Switch Axe user), Razor (Bowguns, Bows, Sword and Shield user), Titan (me; Dual Swords, Hunting Horn user) and Phoenix (Long Sword, Great Sword user). We used to roleplay and discuss together about Monster Hunter. And almost everytime we gather together, we would hunt. All 4 are G-rank in Unite. I also write a story about us called "Dragon Lords Chronicles". Right now, I'm writing about Yukumo.

Sorry, Stoney. I can't recommend you a weapon which would suit you. Great Swords, Hammers and Heavy Bowguns are not my specialities.

Also, Cassino. I like your avatar. Don't forget to bring Book of Combos with you.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • After playing the game a little more, I've settled on the HBG.

I think someone here said that combos are better on Tri...
    I found that out by experience...
    The Long Sword Spirit combo isn't as fluid as it is on Tri, so I don't like it much on Unite...

& The Great Sword & Hammers don't seem to be as strong as they are on Tri, either...
    (& the hammer seemed more sluggish...)

& I wish you guys could have seen my first battle vs. the Yian Kut-Ku...
    I shot it out of the sky as the finishing hit!

& thanks for the help, Cassino!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think someone here said that combos are better on Tri...
    I found that out by experience...
    The Long Sword Spirit combo isn't as fluid as it is on Tri, so I don't like it much on Unite...
    I usually don't bother building the gauge and instead work spirit attacks into my normal combos; that in itself seems rather fluid to me (though maybe it does less damage over time?). Spirit combos don't look too different to me in MH3 though, isn't it just an additional ending move where you sheathe the sword?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I usually don't bother building the gauge and instead work spirit attacks into my normal combos; that in itself seems rather fluid to me (though maybe it does less damage over time?). Spirit combos don't look too different to me in MH3 though, isn't it just an additional ending move where you sheathe the sword?
    I used the Long Sword a few times in the weapon training missions & it's finshing move in the spirit combo was a over-head swing, like that of a hammer.
    (too bad it doesn't stun... or rather, I'm sure it doesn't...)
    On Tri, it was a dashing wide slash where your dude/dudette sheathe the sword afterwards.

Do you know where I can find Alluring Hide on Unite?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Carve from Red Khezu. It's equivalent to the 'flabby hide' the white ones give.

Blast...
    I had problems with the white one...
    But I do have a stronger HBG that can use better bullets...
    Maybe I can take it now... hopefully, my better HBG will also allow me to beat the red one...

The HBG is called Infector Cannon, I belive...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Injector Cannon; the shots I would recommend using against Khezu can't really be loaded into that, aside from elemental shots. You can do a lot of damage with pierce S since it's so bulky, and clust S because... again, it's bulky, so you can land all the bomblets easily. The materials to make the higher levels of clust S might be out of your reach yet though, as may be a bowgun that fires them...
    Otherwise, any Khezu can be very easily knocked over; attacking its legs with normal or pellet shots could give you a clear shot at its head with elementals.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • What HBG should I try getting next?

I was thinking of getting the HBG made from the Blue Kut-Ku parts...
    (which is why I asked about the Alluring Hide...)

I'm currently working on the 2 stars quests from the Elder.

Back