• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most annoying Gym Leader

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    For me, it has been, since the first time I played Silver years and years ago, Clair. Sure, she was difficult when it came to the actual battle (what with Kingdra and all), but then she had to go and send you into the Dragon's Den to get one stupid item to prove your "worth" to her (or, in Crystal, take a test to do the same thing), as if kicking her tail in the Pokemon battle wasn't enough like it was for every other Gym Leader ever (even Whitney).

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    We all have gone to the Gyms and met the cheap Gym leader, mine was Watson (Emerald)

Watson was awesome. D: He made a change from most Leaders, since he was always jolly. XD

I'm with the current majority; I found Clair to be quite an annoying Gym leader, as well as a sore loser. Its almost as bad as the D/P Rival saying he's better than you, then getting steamrollered by your team.. and afterwards, still saying he's better than you. *scratches head*

It was an interesting twist, for a Gym Leader to deny you your badge, but sheesh.. you beat her, you earned it. You shouldn't have to prove anything else, right?

The_G'

Can I Has Some Friez?
    Years
    Most annoying huh. For me its Juan , I pwned all of his pokemon then he pwned me with his Kingdra.
    NOTE : all of my pokemon are not fainted before I fought his Kingdra.
    Isnt that annoying ?

Last edited:

Glaceon_

Years
    Most annoying huh. For me its Juan , I pwned all of his pokemon then he pwned me with his Kingdra.
    NOTE : all of my pokemon are not fainted before I fought his Kingdra.
    Isnt that annoying ?

Speaking of Water Gym Leaders, I really hated Wallace, to be honest; he was okay as a Gym Leader in Ruby/Sapphire, but he was really annoying, as the Champion in Emerald; primarily because of his stupid Ludicolo spamming the hell out of Double Team, and we all know how fun that move is.. *cough*

Though the main reason I think he's really annoying is because of the way he acts. It was very twitch-worthy, when I flattened him, the first time around.. *shudders*

Obito.

Uh huh
    Years
    OH YEAH! what really annoys me is every gym leader!!!

whenever im about to beat there pokemon they always use a hyper potion or something AHHHHH!!!!

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    OH YEAH! what really annoys me is every gym leader!!!

whenever im about to beat there pokemon they always use a hyper potion or something AHHHHH!!!!

Haha, that's only an issue if you can't "one hit" them, it stops the battle being too short as well.

Most annoying Gym leader I ever faced would have been...

Those twins in Emerald, at Mosdeep? I can't remember but they definitly caught me off guard, everyone else was...too easy.

Best Leader I ever faught was Gary (technically he should be called "green" but i think they called him "blue") in Pokemon Silver at the Viridian Gym... Now THAT was a Gym battle worthy of the title "8th Gym" (technically 16th but meh)

MissMegano

not-so innocent saint
    Years
    Are you kidding me? The very most annoying was Brock in Yellow! there's no water pokemon around so you have to level Pikachu to like lv. 20 on those lv. 5s in the Viridian Forest, because you can't beat the dumb Onix without Slam!

Glaceon_

Years
    Haha, that's only an issue if you can't "one hit" them, it stops the battle being too short as well.

More accurately, so long as you don't knock them into the red, you won't have any Potion Problems. :P Oh.. wouldn't it be annoying if they had Revives/Max Revives? XD

Are you kidding me? The very most annoying was Brock in Yellow! there's no water pokemon around so you have to level Pikachu to like lv. 20 on those lv. 5s in the Viridian Forest, because you can't beat the dumb Onix without Slam!

Not really.. I think I beat him with a combination of Nidoran and Butterfree; which is pretty much how I beat him in the Third Generation remakes. Surprising how very little changes, huh? XD

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Is it just me, or did Johto have the difficult/annoying Gym Leaders? XD

Well, I'm against the current majority here. Clair was quite easy for me, even if there was the test, it's better than the plain beat the couple of trainers to get to the Gym Leader in my opinion. For me, there were two Gym Leaders in the region of Johto I struggled to ever defeat.
    Most annoying Gym Leader

Jasmine

One of the most annoying Gym Leaders to me was "The Steel-Clad Defense Girl". Otherwise known as Jasmine of Olivine City. No, not due to the fact you had to find her in the Sparkling Lighthouse and help the Ampharos, as I said, I like the side trips. ;D The main reason? The introduction of steel type in the second generation, and her beloved Steelix. Majority of trainers selected Cyndaquil, to get Typhlosion, so they had no problem wiping Jasmine off the face of the earth with fire. However, I'm one of those Chikorita Johto players, at the point of reaching Jasmine, I didn't even have Meganium yet, I still had Bayleef. XD Not only that, I didn't have the sufficient knowledge as to what was super effective against Steel types. All of my Pokémon were leveled around the upper twenties, early thirties. (Yeah, I used all the money I had those days to keep me going on potions, etc) So, why did I have such a rough time with her? An annoying reason in fact... Supersonic, so basically by the time I defeated the two Magnemites, most of my Pokémon were thunder waved and paralyzed and hurt plenty by confusion. So, how fun is it we're all crippled and meet a giant Steelix for the first time to get crushed to bits by Iron Tail and Rock Throw. 8D It was lovely! This was the scenario when I attempted to defeat Jasmine countless times, I eventually trained everyone into mid thirties and luck was still on her side with confusion knocking me out of commission many times for Steelix to wipe me out. After losing to Jasmine numerous times, I simply trained like a mad man (Which payed off for later Gym Leaders as well) and finally defeated her. It was toughest, and most annoying Gym Leader I had ever faced since Misty of Kanto. Jasmine remains to this day the hardest and most annoying Gym Leader I ever faced.
    Most annoying Gym Leader

Bugsy

This seems funny to you already, doesn't it? This seems pathetic, right? Oh yeah, it sure is, Bugsy was the second gym leader of Johto and boy I had a rough time trying to defeat him. So, a guy with a Metapod, Kakuna, and a fierce Scyther was difficult & annoying for BeachBoy? Yup, that's exactly it. ;D As I said before, I started off my journey with Chikorita. Some people defeated Bugsy with a simple Pidgey & gust, or of course Cyndaquil yet again. (Why was everything so easy for fire back then?) Oh no, I was the kid that hated birds and ran around with a grass type. >>; Yes, I had a pidgey, but it was what? Level three? I can't remember if I even used it before Bugsy. XD So why did I have such an annoying time with Bugsy? Simply put, Scyther was evil! So here I am, confident I'm about to defeat the Bug type Gym Leader, Metapod and Kakuna were easy... Scyther comes out, and of all the moves you think I would get destroyed by it had to be Fury Cutter. Oh yeah, you heard me right, Fury Cutter. It slaughtered my Chikorita. Increasing each turn, getting better and better, for Scyther to finish me off with Quick Attack, I think. I then went and trained the simple Pidgey and it still gave me a hard time! I believe it was three or four plus tries and I finally beat him. It's hilarious to look back at these days, but boy that was fun.

So, those two, the most annoying and difficult Gym Leaders for me, ever...

For other generations & gym leaders Click here. :D

Last edited:

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
    The most annoying Gym Leader for me is Whitney. Her Miltank was strong enough to defeat my lvl. 25 Pokemon. Miltank is probably the best Normal Type Pokemon. However my Haunter beat it up by only 1 attack. The Night Shade.

Obito.

Uh huh
    Years

i always get a butterfree and confusion him maneky is good to

)

Yeah "one hit" them.

i love my kingler in crystal for that

Last edited:

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    Most annoying Gym Leader

Bugsy

This seems funny to you already, doesn't it? This seems pathetic, right? Oh yeah, it sure is, Bugsy was the second gym leader of Johto and boy I had a rough time trying to defeat him. So, a guy with a Metapod, Kakuna, and a fierce Scyther was difficult & annoying for BeachBoy? Yup, that's exactly it. ;D As I said before, I started off my journey with Chikorita. Some people defeated Bugsy with a simple Pidgey & gust, or of course Cyndaquil yet again. (Why was everything so easy for fire back then?) Oh no, I was the kid that hated birds and ran around with a grass type. >>; Yes, I had a pidgey, but it was what? Level three? I can't remember if I even used it before Bugsy. XD So why did I have such an annoying time with Bugsy? Simply put, Scyther was evil! So here I am, confident I'm about to defeat the Bug type Gym Leader, Metapod and Kakuna were easy... Scyther comes out, and of all the moves you think I would get destroyed by it had to be Fury Cutter. Oh yeah, you heard me right, Fury Cutter. It slaughtered my Chikorita. Increasing each turn, getting better and better, for Scyther to finish me off with Quick Attack, I think. I then went and trained the simple Pidgey and it still gave me a hard time! I believe it was three or four plus tries and I finally beat him. It's hilarious to look back at these days, but boy that was fun.

Yeah!, that scyther was just uncalled for, You would never expect a gym so early in the game to have one.

My level 7 pidgey Solo'd that gym with a few potions, He was level 15 when I left haha

I Started with tododile, he looked the toughest and the best of the three IMO, it was either that or go with a giant burning ferret or a weird mutated green thing with a leaf.

I hated Nintendo for that... I mean, Kanto got a huge fiery Dragon and an awesome looking armored Blue monster with CANNONS! and a Giant green Dinosaur that could Solar beam things to oblivion.

Yet Johto got nothing except a tough looking blue Yoshi with rabies

Hoenn got nothing as well except a strange but awesome kung-fu fire rooster wearing flame Pants.

Sinnoh got utter garbage, a moving island that can't defend it's self, a rabid monkey that someone lit on fire, and a failed Disney character/animal...

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Hmm... the most annoying Gym leaders... Well, to avoid leaving someone out, I'll go by Gen :D.

1st Gen- Red, Blue, and Yellow. Simple days when I knew absolutely nothing about the game. I usually started off with Charmander or Squirtle, then caught a Pikachu, so that eliminates the first three. Erika was just extremely annoying to get to, but easy to beat. Koga probably. He kept using Toxic and... GEEZ! It kept getting stronger... and stronger... and stronger. Then there was Muk... great. A big fat blob that knew Double Team, how fascinating.

2nd Gen- My favorite generation, and my first games. As BeachBoy said earlier, I did start out with Cyndaquil :D. The first four were pretty easy (except for Whitney and her dreaded Miltank), but then came Chuck. Was it annoying enough that A.) It took FOREVER just to reach his gym, battling through countless swimmers and fisherman (water types= :( for Cyndy), and B.) He was the FIGHTING Gym leader, which meant his Pokemon had ubernesses of the normal attacks. But, no. Nintendo HAD to make it more annoying by implementing Poliwrath. A water type, in a fighting gym, that knew both Hypnosis and Dynamicpunch. I think you can guess what happened after that. 40 levels later and WOW... my 5th badge :D! Hey, at least the training payed off *glares at Claire*.

3rd Gen- Once again, I chose the fire type. But since it was part fighting and knew double kick (happy face), Roxanne and Brawly were easy (I used Ralts too). Wattson was pretty easy too, so was Flannery, and Norman went down with a couple Double Kicks. So I'd have to say that Wallace/Juan were the most annoying. Once again, they had water types which made it tough on me, but then Whiscash came in and OOHH LOOK AT ME, I'M WATER AND GROUND! XP ELECTRIC NO WORK AGAINST ME! If you couldn't guess by now... I never had a grass type D:. But when I lost half of my Pokemon and most of my health, Milotic comes out. Now I can use Electric again... but stupid Water Pulse! It ALWAYS made me confused and I ALWAYS hit myself D:!!! Then when I DID finally hit it, it had ooby HP that woudln't go down! :(... That's it for them... but please, don't get me started on Glacia.

4th Gen- Eh, Diamond and Pearl was pretty straightforward. We all knew what to expect in this game, so I think that all the Gym leaders were equally annoying. No one really stood out to me :|.

Years
    First Gen: Had to be Brock...yes the first gym leader totally owned me a few times and why because I loved Charmander! When these first came out I couldn't be bothered to train my Pokemon properly and so I just rushed in with Charmander and got PWNED! I hated Mankey so I didn't even have him and I the bug pokemon were useless that you go from the forest. I hated having to beat him every time. But then if that wasn't enough I would have Misty follow and of course my Charmeleon got owned yet again by that Starmie of hers! God I hated the both of them! It was only when I go older that I learnt to raise my Charmander until it evolved before going up against Brock and I learnt to use even the Pokemon I hated to defeated gym leaders, of course this meant using either Bellsprout or Onix to beat Misty because I could never get my hands on a Pikachu in Varidian forest XP But then the Fire Red/Leaf Green made my life easier with Charmander learning Metal Claw! Hah, I owned Brock XP

Second Gen: Whitney. God damn that Miltank! I started with Cindaquil, so I got past the first two with no problems, but then here she comes with her normal type Pokemon and completely trashes me with Miltank! Oh god, it was embarrassing, I didn't think I would ever get taken down by a normal type Pokemon, I never had before until second gen introduced a fat cow. (The Miltank, not Whitney.) I literally had to train up my Quilava for a while before I was able to take her out. Rollout gave me a pasting!

Third Gen: I started with Treeko, so I had a grass type instead this time. Everything seemed to be going fine until I get to the reaminig water gym at the end. Ice related moves did not go well with my Sceptile. I managed to beat him on my second go, but that was quite a long battle as well and it seemed he was harder the second time I played it through XP I know my Sceptile could take him down because he was a grass type, but one well placed ice move and he was down and out XP I hated that Kingdra of his ¬_¬

Fourth Gen: Was surprisingly Okay. Pinpulp was a really good choice =D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lets go by generation, shall we?

RBY: For all three, I will tell you now: Brock. Why Brock? I was the little kid who ran around with Charmander! Are there any grass and water-types a the beginning of the game? No, unless you chose Bulbasaur or Squirtle. But you know? I managed through. But lets get to Yellow. With a Pikachhu. Considering I had this when I was 6, what was I supposed to do? I never felt like reading. So, I never got past the gym trainer. That's right, folks. The gym trainer.

GSC: OMG. Chuck was the most annoying fat guy EVER. On Silver, I had no problem. I had all three starters(shut up). Crystal, on the other hand, all I could use was...Feralitgatr. And all that would hurt Poliwrath...was...Bite. With Water Gun, Bite, Ice Punch, and Attract as you're moveset, what can you do? All I had going for me was that Poliwrath was lovin' Aviex...and her Bite. What a masochist. Gold...well, lets just say me and my Meganium will have fun with this one.

RSE: Brawly. I hate him. Even with a Combusken on level 23 with Peck, Bulk Up can surely stand up to it, then smash me into the ground. Not even Ralts' Confusion would help me now. And lets not forget Emerald Tate and Liza. With a team like mine, I thought 'oh, no problem!' Wrong. Very wrong. Everybody except Sableye died. Luckily, I had a bajillion Revives. Yay Blaziken.

DP: Lets be honest here. No one. That's right. No one. I've become a smarter trainer throughout the years. I know now. Foolish mistakes shant be made anymore. So, no one. Either I'm really smart, or they're losing their touch. But, I guess I'll go ahead and say...Maylene. No one should have Lucario that early in the game. But, it fell to Infernape(yes, I had one. That's called training) very quickly.

Back