• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Annoying Moves

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Emerald Queen said:
    Perhaps it does make for a better, more balanced fighter, but I tend to be aggressive and go for a OHKO approach. My philosophy is ' Hit 'em once, hit 'em hard, eliminate them before they can harm you.' That's why I have the flutes to hand: I'm not bothered by using them until my opponent runs out of the status affecting moves. I also try and type match so the pokemon I have out has the greatest advantage possible over it's foe. Where I'm faced with a dual type I can't exactly match, I aim for one or the other of the types, and attack that.

Going for the weak spots tends to work pretty well ingame, yes. But the Battle Frontier shows no mercy to those builds so I've abandoned them.

Emerald Queen said:
    I beg to differ on this score: during my Tower challenge, I came up against a ninjask that used Double Team. I was using an Altaria that knows Aerial Ace, one of those unavoidable attacks, and yes, it missed, much to my surprise and annoyance. As it works by increasing evasiveness, rather than reducing accuracy, I guess it's a good move to have, but kind of puts a lie to the so-called 'unavoidable' attacks.

My biggest problem is that I tend to use dragon types, or pokemon with a dual dragon+ another type. They're vulnerable to Ice attacks, which was how I got put out of my challenge, by a Starmie that used an Ice Beam on my Altaria and my Flygon, before finishing off my weakened Milotic.

Sand Attack is another bugbear, because, if you can't eliminate your foe, it can get to a point where no attacks will land, leaving your pokemon vulnerable. Yet I really don't see the advantage of having it as a move: it's not 100% accurate, does no damage, and so takes up a slot that could be better filled.

That Double Team incident is strange, I've used Aerial Ace to KO a fully Double Teamed Ninjask in Netbattle. It took two hits since I was using a Jumpluff (They are pathetically weak) but both hit head on. And I don't recall ever missing with those or Shockwave against an opponent that wasn't using Dig, Dive, Fly, or Bounce. I suspect that you've run into a bug because the official descriptor for those moves is 'Negates Accuracy and Evasion modifiers.', their accuracy stat is infinite and hence the procentual change caused by evasion and accuracy doesn't make any difference. And Sand Attack/Flash are also a couple of pains in the bronx, no arguments from me there. But I guess that's what Foresight and Odor Sleuth are for. And at least you can get rid of Accuracy drops by switching.

As a completely random aside, in RBY if your pok?mon is fully paralyzed while underground or flying your pok?mon can't be hit by anything except Swift unless you use Dig or Fly again since the game has tagged your pok?mon as unhitable. I ran into this problem against a wild Dugtrio, and that hurt...

Emerald Queen

Dragon Training Apprentice
    Years
    Perhaps it is a bug or glitch, then. I was fuming when it happened: it took me a lot longer to KO it than normal.

I gather from what you say that moves that stat changes remain after battle, except for accuracy? I had wondered about that, but couldn't tell from my own pokemon if it actually happened.

I don't have Emerald yet: I'm waiting for it to go on general release here, so I haven't had any experience on Battle Frontier. Just how much does it differ from the Battle Tower?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    (Sorry for the wording, I'm on a dare) Well, young one. First of all the movesets are far more balanced. Not all this dilly-dally nonsense that the Battle Tower is filled with. Secondly, it is divided into seven sections, each with their distinct rules.

Battle Tower
    Much like the original battle tower rules but tougher opponents.

Battle Dome
    You get to pick a team of three, but can only use two of them for each battle.

Battle Pike
    Also three pok?mon only, but you cannot change the order in which they are placed outside battle. Also, you will walk down a series of rooms, each with their own randomized events.

Battle Factory
    You get to pick a team of three pre-generated pok?mon. You may swap one of these for one of the ones used by an opponent you have defeated.

Battle Palace
    Also a team of three, here you can not command your pok?mon, but they act on their natures and their liking for you instead.

Battle Pyramid
    Three pok?mon chosen. You walk around in a series of dark rooms, facing wild pok?mon, battling trainers, and collecting items on the way as you search for the portal to the next floor. You get your own bag for this and can only carry a set amount of items. For each battle won, you're sight radius on that floor increases a little, loosing trainers will also provide you with useful hints.

Battle Arena
    You pick a team of three once more. In this mode you cannot switch pok?mon and unless you knock out the opponent in three turns the winner is decided by the following:

Body: The pok?mon which has a larger percentage of HP left.
    Skill: How many of the pok?mon's attacks were successfull.
    Mind: How often the pok?mon used directly damaging moves.

The loosing pok?mon is knocked out, if the result is a draw both are knocked out.

Your goal is to defeat enough of these challenges in a row. Once you have enough, one of the 'frontier brains' will face you. If you win, you are awarded a frontier symbol. Once you've collected either one of the sets, (There are two: Silver and Gold. The latter gained through a repeat challenge with the brain in question) the owner of the establishment will give you a gift. Battle Points are also gained here, and they can be exchanged for prizes.

leafgreen386

Custom User Title. Wow.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2006
    I gather from what you say that moves that stat changes remain after battle, except for accuracy? I had wondered about that, but couldn't tell from my own pokemon if it actually happened.
    No. There are no stat modifiers that will remain in effect after a battle. Even Burn and Paralyze. It just redrops your Atk/Spd when you go back into battle.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    A.Coz said:
    No. There are no stat modifiers that will remain in effect after a battle. Even Burn and Paralyze. It just redrops your Atk/Spd when you go back into battle.

That is correct. Stat modifiers only stay for the duration of the battle and they dissapear as soon as you switch out.

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    smarty_arty said:
    Taunt is actually pretty useful against buffers but in ingame playing it's a waste of space
    Actually Taunt's saved me in-game before. I was using my level 33 Crawdaunt against a biker on Cycling Road with a level 41 Magneton (I'd only started playing it again and forgotten what Pok?mon they carried, the rest of my team were also all weak to electric). It had hit me painfully a few times with some super effective electric attacks before I realised I had Taunt which I used. It stopped it using super effective electric moves against me and only allowed it to use Sonicboom which only dealt a comfortable 20HP per round, allowing me to come back and win the battle.

Anyway, onto moves I hate. I hate Destiny Bond, I don't know if anyone's mentioned that one yet. You work so hard to defeat a really hard Pok?mon with your best Pok?mon and at the last second before you kill it they use Destiny Bond and take you down too. Annoying. As for more common annoying moves, I agree with Confuse Ray/Protect etc

Nor

Jesus Fanatic
    Years
    The most annoying moves (IMO) are Detect and Protect. They never work for me, but always work for my opponet.

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    Alter Ego said:
    Erm, they always work the first time, but if you try to use two of them in a row then it's only a 50% chance of success. The same goes for Endure.
    True, but I know what Nor means. I just had a Cloyster use Protect against me 3 times in a row on Fire Red successfully yet if I ever use Protect it works once and never again.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    I see...yes, they are a serious pain. Phoebe's Dusclops used five successfull ones against me in Emerald, draining nearly all Shadow Balls (I think I had one left after that) from my Metagross before I finally managed to KO the thing. >_<

CardsOfTheHeart

We fight with our heart!
    Years
    i cannot stand protect/detect!

i remember when i first faced dakim on P.C. he always had one pokemon use earthquake while the other protected itself! he would even alternate the pokemon using the moves every turn! it was so annoying. if i had a good enough fire pokemon i could've helped my own cause against his metang.

oh, and follow me is stupid, too.

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    Superman27 said:
    What is the most annoying move in battle? I think that attract is becasue it doesn't stop until one pokemon faints and there is no way to stop it(unless the pokemon are the same gender).
    Isn't it called a mental herb or something like that? Switching also works, as does a Lum. Though nobody will attach a mental herb to a Pokemon unless you are using it to fight an attract-specific battle.
    Burns are annoying because not only do they damage you, they lower ATK, so WoW .

C Ray and T-Wave because they stop my attacks.
    Protect/Detect/Fly/Dig/Dive for the same reason.
    Fire Spin/Wrap/Bind/Sand Tomb/Clamp/Whirlpool as well.

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
    SAND-ATTACK! My Lord, I hate that attack so much! Especially if you're in a tough battle and all the opposing Pokemon does is Sand-Attack, Sand-Attack, Sand-Attack. There are few moves that always hit (like Shock-Wave) and you alway miss most of the time. That's what REALLY peeves me about it.

So does Selfdestruct and Explosion. I mean, its not annoying in those terms, but it annoys me. Its pointless, especially if its your last pokemon you have and you use it!

Back