• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useless Pokemon move tournament

Snorelacks

Hello and welcome. I am a fairly new user to the Pokecommunity, and I had an idea for a tournament. Which Pokemon move is the most useless? There will be new competitions every day, should this thread continue to get votes, and the winner of each competition will be announced. Sixteen moves will start, picked by me. Splash will not be included because it clearly deserves this title and would beat everything else. Those moves currently are:

Quash
    Synchronoise
    Mud Sport
    Final Gambit

Ingrain
    Leech Life
    Smog
    Mist
    Spit Up
    Swallow
    Barrage
    Air Cutter
    Razor Wind
    Heal Block
    Present
    Metronome

(Underlined moves have been taken out, bolded ones have moved on)

If you believe that any of these moves have a very good use, please state it in your vote.

The first competition is Heal Block vs. Mist. Vote for which you think is worst.

Heal Block: Prevents the target from healing. Effect lifted upon target switching.
    Mist: Stops your stats from being lowered by the opponent's directly stat-lowering moves. Effect lifted upon user switching.

My vote goes to Mist. Stat-lowering moves just for stat lowering are so rare...

Heal Block at least has some use. It stops Leftovers and Black Sludge, Recovery moves, damaging healing moves, and healing abilities (Poison Heal, Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, etc.).

Currently, the vote is 5-0, Mist. I will update this with each new couple of votes. A move needs more than one vote to move on.
    Here are the brackets:

Mist vs. Heal Block/Final Gambit vs. Air Cutter/Metronome vs. Present/Spit Up vs. Swallow
    ____Mist_______ vs.______Air Cutter_______/______Present_____vs.

Smog vs. Barrage/Leech Life vs. Ingrain/Mud Sport vs. Quash/Synchronoise vs. Razor Wind

Last edited:

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • Yeah, I think Mist is uselss too, speaking of which, I hardly see the move in the game, but I'm always getting heal blocked... >.<

Snorelacks

Ummm Synchronize is not a move, its an ability and why isn't Splash up there for? That move is useless

:t354:TG

I know, but Synchronoise is a move. I also specifically said that Splash wouldn't be competing because it is the true most useless move.

Seeing as I am planning to update as soon as possible, Mist won the last competition against Heal Block 5-0. Some people answered via PM and some answered in person.

The next competition is Final Gambit vs. Air Cutter! Vote for which is worst.

Final Gambit: Does damage equal to the user's remaining HP. The user faints upon use.

Air Cutter: Special Flying-Type move. 55 Base Power, 95 accuracy. Hits both foes in a double battle and all three in a triple battle (regardless of position).

My vote goes to Final Gambit. It doesn't do anything when you are weak, and who wants to faint on the first turn without any setup or anything? It doesn't even work for Suicide Leads. Most Pokemon that get this move also have relatively low HP.

Air Cutter can be nice in triple battles to do a little damage to all of the opposition while the others are setting up, but still should rarely ever be used competitively. STAB Air Cutter is still particularly weak, and most Pokemon that learn it are used physically, not specially if they are attackers.It would need something like a Technician boost and STAB with a Specially-Oriented Pokemon to make any Impact.

Last edited:

Pookachu

Chuck Norris
    Years
  • Ehhh, Final Gambit vs Air Cutter. I'd go with Air Cutter. If you have played competitively, you'd know Final Gambit can be used to take out a Pokemon that might stop you from sweeping your opponent, although it is pretty rare to see it.

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • Quash
    Synchronoise
    Mud Sport
    Final Gambit
    Ingrain
    Absorb
    Smog
    Mist
    Lick
    Glare
    Air Cutter
    Razor Wind
    Future Sight
    Heal Block
    Present
    Metronome

I crossed out some that have a use. Lick can paralyze, Air Cutter and Razor Wind are both decent moves. Future Sight is good as you attack a few turns later. Heal Block is good against HP healing hogs like Blissey. If you're making a tournament for worst moves, put bad moves.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    I crossed out some that have a use. Lick can paralyze, Air Cutter and Razor Wind are both decent moves. Future Sight is good as you attack a few turns later. Heal Block is good against HP healing hogs like Blissey. If you're making a tournament for worst moves, put bad moves.

I don't quite agree with your selections completely.

To begin with, I'll just say when trying to determine the "worst move," you have to look at some things:

What does the move do?
    What are similar moves?
    When do you get the move?
    Is the move a weak version of a later move?

When going by this, moves like Razor Wind are horrible. It's a two turn move without 100% accuracy, normal type, lowest power of 2 turn moves, and the chance to crit really isn't much to call home about. You also get it late game and many pokemon which learn it get something MUCH better. I also have no idea why Glare can be considered a horrible move, 90 accuracy and normal typing for the same effect as thunder wave (which can't hit ground types) is fine.

Moves such as Lick, Absorb, Vine Whip, Bubble, Ember, etc etc should not be in this sort of tournament. They're necessary for low level pokemon. So let's say Grassmon has absorb. It's a crummy attack. Would it be preferred we start it with Giga Drain instead? Usually it goes absorb > mega drain > giga drain.

An exception to this sort of thing is smog. Smog is an early poison move like poison sting and acid. However, the only pokemon that have any business using it (because they get it easily/have no other STAB moves at the time) are koffing. Koffing, however, has poison gas and tackle - Poison gas has higher accuracy and poisons, and tackle does more than STAB smog. Even under level 10, Smog is totally outclassed at every time.

A move like Mud Sport is more of a doubles/niche move. If you know you aren't using any more electric attacks, and have electric weak pokes, why not use it..? Mist isn't that great of a move, but probably not the worst. You can use it when someone is trying to faze you into a switch with something like charm or whatever. But it's worth of being on this list.

To be honest, the list really is mixed. I think the problem that lies within is that some moves are more complex with others and need more strategy/synergy than most, or are situational. Others are baby poke moves. And then other are "for fun" moves, like present and metronome.

It should be more like-
    Kinesis
    Barrage
    Synchronoise
    Razor Wind
    Frustration (completely outclassed by Return, but more usable than other moves; however would be valid on the list)
    Mist
    Sing/Grass Whistle
    etc etc.

A good chunk of the moves on this least are actually quite good, and have strategies based around them.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Why isn't memento in here? I've always thought that was the most useless move...

Memento is far from useless, though! It depends on how we're talking - playing against other players, or the in-game AI? It's not that great in-game, but against other players if you *know* your pokemon will by KOd, have very low HP, whatever, it's a great move to use (especially if you have hazards out). It will pretty much force them to switch out

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • TheMysteryEgg said:
    Quash
    Synchronoise
    Mud Sport
    Final Gambit
    Ingrain
    Absorb
    Smog
    Mist
    Lick
    Glare
    Air Cutter
    Razor Wind
    Future Sight
    Heal Block
    Present
    Metronome
    Splash
    /added splash because it is a totally useless move. owo;;

Snorelacks

/added splash because it is a totally useless move. owo;;

Argh! I already noted (TWICE) that splash wouldn't be competing.

Air Cutter beat Final Gambit 3-1. Air Cutter and Mist are in round two.

The next competition is Metronome vs. Present.

Present: Physical 90 accuracy Normal-Type move. It is the signature move of Delibird. It has a 40% chance of dealing 40 BP damage, 30% chance of dealing 80 BP damage, 20% chance of healing the opponent by 80 HP, and 10% chance of dealing 120 BP damage.

These are both very, very gimmicky moves that should only be used for fun, which is why I paired them up. My vote goes to Present in terms of both usefulness and fun. It's much more fun to see a random move come up than either destroying, healing, or moderately damaging the opponent.

I love experimenting with Metronome, on the other hand. It's the most fun move to use in the game, but it still stinks, so don't use it long-term. But really, "Clefable used Metronome! Clefable used Psycho Boost! (Yes!) Clefable must recharge! Clefable used Metronome! Clefable used Ice Burn! (YES!) It's super effective! Clefable used Metronome! Clefable used Water Sport! Fire's power was weakened! (ARGH!)" et cetera. I could do that all day.

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Memento is far from useless, though! It depends on how we're talking - playing against other players, or the in-game AI? It's not that great in-game, but against other players if you *know* your pokemon will by KOd, have very low HP, whatever, it's a great move to use (especially if you have hazards out). It will pretty much force them to switch out

Nobody really carries around memento in competitive battling... It's far outclassed by Selfdestruction/Explosion in terms of usage. (Or if your opponent is a ghost type, at least have a last ditch attack)

Though some uber noobs randomly use it when they have full health and I can just switch out after... I love it when that happens ;D

P.S. - Now that I think about it... memento is not the MOST useless, but Heal Pulse... (How did anyone not think about that before I did? :P)

Last edited:

Snorelacks

Nobody really carries around memento in competitive battling... It's far outclassed by Selfdestruction/Explosion in terms of usage. (Or if your opponent is a ghost type, at least have a last ditch attack)

Though some uber noobs randomly use it when they have full health and I can just switch out after... I love it when that happens ;D

P.S. - Now that I think about it... memento is not the MOST useless, but Heal Pulse... (How did anyone not think about that before I did? :P)

Wow. Um, Memento is awesome. So is Heal Pulse.
    You're about to faint, but then, DUGTRIO used Memento! DUGTRIO fainted! The foe's ABOMASNOW's Special Attack harshly fell! The foe's ABOMASNOW's Attack harshly fell! Go! SCIZOR! BLAHBLAH recalled ABOMASNOW! BLAHBLAH sent out MAGMORTAR! SCIZOR used Swords Dance!
    See? You set up a sweep, basically for free.

Heal Pulse rules in triples.
    SLAKING used Belly Drum! Slaking cut its own HP and maximized its attack! VILEPLUME used Gastro Acid! SLAKING's ability was suppressed! BLISSEY used Heal Pulse! SLAKING's HP was restored!

It can also be used for just healing of teammates, but now Slaking is set up for a HUGE sweep. Max attack, most likely full HP, and no longer Truant.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Wow. Um, Memento is awesome. So is Heal Pulse.
    You're about to faint, but then, DUGTRIO used Memento! DUGTRIO fainted! The foe's ABOMASNOW's Special Attack harshly fell! The foe's ABOMASNOW's Attack harshly fell! Go! SCIZOR! BLAHBLAH recalled ABOMASNOW! BLAHBLAH sent out MAGMORTAR! SCIZOR used Swords Dance!
    See? You set up a sweep, basically for free.

Heal Pulse rules in triples.
    SLAKING used Belly Drum! Slaking cut its own HP and maximized its attack! VILEPLUME used Gastro Acid! SLAKING's ability was suppressed! BLISSEY used Heal Pulse! SLAKING's HP was restored!

It can also be used for just healing of teammates, but now Slaking is set up for a HUGE sweep. Max attack, most likely full HP, and no longer Truant.

Interesting insight there. I've never thought of it that way.

But my point still stands. Even though heal pulse can be useful in rare cases, it often times benefits your opponent than yourself... about 99 percent of the time. What if the gastro acid using pokemon faints before you can use it on Slaking? What if Slaking already gets cut down to 50 percent health before it does belly drum? What if Slaking faints before Blissey uses heal pulse? What if Blissey faints before it can use heal pulse?

As for Memento, I've never thought about competitive use (I mean, I thought you were only asking about non-competitive battles for some odd reason), so I took my comment back on it... sadly (which I don't do often). However I'm 100 percent sure that it's never useful in non-competitive battles. But... what if Abomasnow used MIST before Dugtrio had a chance to use memento? ;)

Now that I think I've drifted off topic a little bit... I'll cast my vote on the most useless pokemon move tournament... goes to Mist! (Even though previous situation says otherwise)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I disagree on Final Gambit; if you know you can't take out an opposing Pokemon with your Pokemon's moves alone, why not use that move to suicide into them and possibly cause massive damage? (referring to Choice Scarf Victini with max HP). I also disagree with Glare becaues its accuracy improved in Gen V.

However, I think the move Constrict is useless because it's very weak.

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
  • We're getting way off topic! The current round is Present vs Metronome and I'm going to say Present is more useless. It doesn't hurt very much and it has a chance to HEAL. Useless. Present is more useless than metronome.

Snorelacks

Present beat Metronome 5-0 in the previous competition.

Metronome actually does have a chance to heal (It could use Heal Pulse, Present, or Pain Split at the wrong time), but the chances are much lower.

The next competition is Swallow vs. Spit Up :D

I did this just to be funny.

Swallow: Can only be used after Stockpiling at least one. Heals more HP the more Stockpiles.

Spit Up: Can only be used after Stockpiling at least one. Deals more BP damage the more Stockpiles.

So, let's see, they both take.... three to four turns to be at all effective, and after that, they harshly or severely lower your defense and special defense. My vote goes to Swallow. What's the point in healing if your defenses fall terribly for the opponent to then KO you?

Spit Up stinks almost equally, but it can have high base power, and works off of the principle of Close Combat. Again, it's nowhere near as good as Close Combat, but at least it lets you hit before being KOd rather than wasting a turn.

Yes, I know that these moves lower your defenses to their original stat, and yes, I know that Stockpile is a good move. But please vote here.

2Cool4Mewtwo, you were supposed to vote on Metronome or Present, not just every move in the competition...

Last edited:
    Back