• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mother 3 - GBA

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I got this game since last Christmas and today I'm still fairly hooked to this game. Even though it's all in Japanese and the fact that I can only understand very little, this game is just awesome.

Mother 3 is the japan-only sequel to Mother 2/Earthbound. Mother 3 is based off of a family that were living happy lives until the Pig Masks invaded their area. After time passes, the main protagonists Lucas then sets off to a journey to stop the true intentions of the Pig Masks and their king.

So besides me, had anyone played or at least heard about Mother 3?

Here is a random screenshot of Mother 3:

Mother 3 - GBA

Last edited:

Xylitol

*Insert pun here*
    Years
  • I've heard about it, and I want to at least try out Earthbound if it ever comes to the Virtual Console. It sounds really interesting.

I bet other people know this series, too, since Ness was a character in Super Smash Bros.(Melee), and Lucas will be one in the Wii game SSB:Brawl.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    Earthbound is a really great RPG too, I recommend buying it once it releases through Virtual console. I would highly recomend also for those who haven't seen the awesomeness of the Mother/Earthbound series, you should really play Earthbound first before Mother 3. Mother 3 delivers more fun if you play Earthbound first.

For those who don't know, Earthbound is titled "Mother 2" on Japan, while Mother 1 is titled "Earthbound Zero" in the US.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • You have Mother 3....legally?! O.O You can't feel how jealous I am at you sweetie.

I <3 the Earthbound/Mother series... I'm just praying that it comes out English officially. I really want to know how Lucas gets into the Earthbound world.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    You have Mother 3....legally?! O.O You can't feel how jealous I am at you sweetie.

I <3 the Earthbound/Mother series... I'm just praying that it comes out English officially. I really want to know how Lucas gets into the Earthbound world.

Absolutely, you can buy Mother 3 off of Japan legally. Game Boy cartridges are not set to be locked by regions. You should really buy the game, it's great than you would expect it to be, buying it on PlayAsia is also ideal in my opinion.

Lucas and his family come about the world after like 100-1000 years had passed or something like that, as what I have heard.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Absolutely, you can buy Mother 3 off of Japan legally. Game Boy cartridges are not set to be locked by regions. You should really buy the game, it's great than you would expect it to be, buying it on PlayAsia is also ideal in my opinion.

Lucas and his family come about the world after like 100-1000 years had passed or something like that, as what I have heard.

I'm aware that the Game Boy/DS are universal, but the problem is I have no way to buy stuff of the internet, yet.

Also if I have the game, it's hard to enjoy the story if I can't read it. XD I suppose there's other methods to enjoy the game's story while playing the game.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    Also if I have the game, it's hard to enjoy the story if I can't read it. XD I suppose there's other methods to enjoy the game's story while playing the game.

I don't understand japanese myself, this is why translation guides/routes exist on the internet today, so non-japanese readers can enjoy also enjoy the greatness of Mother 3. I'm still having a great time with the game today, since Christmas day, I've already finished the game two times and just begun my third playthrough.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I'm pretty surprised to hear that Mother 3 isn't out in the States yet.
    Heck, is there even a planned release date for it?

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I'm pretty surprised to hear that Mother 3 isn't out in the States yet.

They have already decided to never bring the installment outside of Japan, so in simple words, no. If they did then I would most likely not have bought Mother 3 at Japan, PlayAsia if you want to get specific. Either way, I would still buy off the English version if they ever plan to make one.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    There was a guy awhile ago doing a translation of Mother 3. I can't remember the site, but I'm sure you could find a video of it on youtube or somewhere like that.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    There was a guy awhile ago doing a translation of Mother 3. I can't remember the site, but I'm sure you could find a video of it on youtube or somewhere like that.

Yes, the fan translation for PC players. Since most would find it a long process on actually buying the game off of Japan, we can always play the game by getting it the easier way. To me though, buying it and actually playing it on a console is pure awesomeness.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • I am very much annoyed that it's not in english.

I LOVE Earthbound. Absolutely love it. I have it as a ROM. Don't get mad, though. I understand what you mean. IF I could, I would MUCH rather buy the game for the console, but I am unable to, of course.

I never played part three, which is what I really want.

In all honesty, it was Super Smash Bros that made me love the game (Ness, Link, & Luigi are my best characters), & Brawl makes me wanna play Mother 3.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I really wish they would release an English version of Mother 3, but now it seems like the odds of that are one to millions. Fairly enough though, I was able to enjoy playing Mother 3, even though almost everything you see in there is written japanese.

Earthbound is a great game too and the reason why I had became a fan of the Mother series in the first place was because of Super Smash Brothers.

fate

PK Awesome
    Years
  • I'm pretty surprised to hear that Mother 3 isn't out in the States yet.

There're no plans for it. The people at Starmen have been nagging Nintendo USA about it since it was released in April of 06. They even tried a mailing campaign to Nintendo of Japan!

Reggie too, said there were no plans to bring Mother 3 over. I believe someone posted that discussion bit on youtube as well. (it was recorded from some Nintendo demonstration booth)

I imported a copy, just to have it. Though I'm not really keen on playing games I can't read (despite that, I've managed to get fairly far).

Also, I don't think that fan translation will ever be done :p

To end this post on a positive note, I'll point out that this game has one of the best soundtracks ever. EVER.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    You can thank the sales of Earthbound from the past on US, people thought back then that any 32-bit game would be better than Earthbound. x_x

I don't exactly understand, but I know that a major number of people would buy Mother 3 over here, now knowing the existence of the Mother series. (Like Ness appearing in the SSB series made the Mother series more known.)

fate

PK Awesome
    Years
  • Earthbound bombed in the US. Sure it has a cult following now, but unless someone has a time machine, that doesn't mean anything.

I think Nintendo USA probably took Earthbound's failure hard, because of the way the game was treated in it's release. If anyone remembers, it was released in a huge box, and bundled with the strategy guide. Nintendo expected it to be a hit, but it was a miss.

But since Smash Bros. is being mentioned a lot in this thread, it should be interesting to see people's reaction to Lucas and New Pork City in Brawl, both being from Mother 3.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • I'm glad you noticed that. Even the Chimera is from Earthbound.

Actually, the cult following may have an impact. There is still Virtual Console they can release it on, if they ever feel like translating.

I am also awaiting the release of EB on Virtual Console.

It was their own fault, though. I mean, the instruction manual was the strategy guide...that's expecting a bit too much.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I've just read Nintedo Power, a certain article was talking about games that are currently in their Japan-only status. Obviously, Mother 3 is one of those games. They said that translating the whole story and such of Mother 3 would take ages. Though, after reading the whole article, they seem to have some hope of Mother 3 releasing out of Japan, that would be awesome.

Last edited:
    Back