• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves a Pokemon can learn that will do it no good

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • I just looked up Moltres on Bulbapedia and it says that Moltres is able to be taught 'Rain Dance' via TM... which Moltres being a Fire type will do Moltres no good...

so I decided to start a discussion on Moves a Pokemon can learn that will do the Pokemon no good... what are some other let's call 'stupid' moves that a certain Pokemon can learn that will do that Pokemon no good

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Shedinja learning Final Gambit. I don't even think I need to explain this. Also, any Fire type able to learn Rain Dance makes no sense really. Not just Moltres.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    Physically-based Pokemon learning special moves, i.e. Torterra learning Leaf Storm and Giga Drain.
    And vice versa.

Years
  • Also, any Fire type able to learn Rain Dance makes no sense really. Not just Moltres.

And on a similar level, any water-type able to learn Sunny Day. Or any non Rock, Steel, or Ground type able to learn Sandstorm. Or any non-Ice type able to learn Hail.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2011
    [SIZE="a"]Cant believe no one has mentioned this yet but splash. It cant do anything for christs sake[/SIZE]

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Shedinja can learn sandstorm XD
    aslo pretty much everything that learns mudsport. The pokemon that can learn it are already immune to electric attacks so whats the point?
    same thing kinda with water spourt cept Bedew can learn it and it is weak to fire.

Years
  • Pidgey, Spearow, Zubat, Hoothoot, Taillow, Wingull, Swablu, Starly, Chatot, Pidove, Woobat, Ducklett, Rufflet and Vullaby.

All of these Pokemon can learn Fly, which I don't mind as a move in battle. Outside of battle though, there should be no way that you can rely on these Pokemon for transportation...

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Remoraid learning Lock-on. I'm pretty sure Remoraid/Octillery learn moves that are generally 80%+ accuracy.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I'm going to talk about Explosion, well Pokemon such as Seedot, Shelldure exploding is really retarded.Oh yeah and Qwilfish, a fish exploding is freaking hilarious oh yeah and Vanillish exploding too.

:t354:TG

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Uh lets see.

> Fire-types learning Rain Dance and vise versa with Sunny Day and water-types.
    > Shedinja learning Sandstorm
    > Attract being available to genderless Pokemon.
    > Pokemon like Cryogonal learning physical moves
    > Doduo learning Fly. It has no wings. >: lmao.

And more... but i'm too lazy.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I totally hate it when a Pokemon that specializes in sp.att learns a whole bunch of attack moves and hardly any sp.att. or vise versa. Sometimes I even get a pokemon who's every level-up moves it learns, I don't want. I hate pokemon with bad level-up moves. That pisses me off especially when I just start the game or something.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    About a fifth of Shedninja's moves just seem to KO it. Toxic is available on about every Pokemon as well, which can be pretty strange as well.

Years
  • I had no idea Moltres could learn Rain Dance... lmao.

Um, certain Pokemon learning fly is pretty pointless, such as Doduo, since it has like, no wings. And those small birds learning fly (such as Pidgey and Starly) is weird also, im pretty sure they wouldnt be able to support our weight xD

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • I understand that all Pokémon can learn toxic, because as natural creatures they should be able to inject some poison (or disease), I guess... But what really irks me is when Pokémon like Magnemite, Voltorb, Steelix... any Rock/Ground/Steel type (except ones like Empoleon, Gastrodon, Relicanth, etc) shouldn't be able to learn Toxic - where would the venom possible come from?

But I guess that's not really useless. What is really useless is Shedinja's various moves that will KO it by the end of the turn. Another is Splash on quite a few Pokémon, as it doesn't have any use in-battle.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Any pokemon learning bullet seed is beyond ridiculous... Why did they make a a move with 10power a TM?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Rhydon with Surf. Isn't it 4x weak to Surf? And IIRC, Golem used to (and maybe can still) learn Fire Blast. Where would it produce the fire?

Dugtrio with Slash. The move's actually decent on it, but where are its claws for executing the attack?

Shedinja learning self-KO moves. And many pure-Water types can learn Hail for some reason.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Any pokemon learning bullet seed is beyond ridiculous... Why did they make a a move with 10power a TM?

Well, now Bullet Seed, in Gen V, has 25 base power. So, it makes it basically a more accurate Grass-type Rock Blast.

As mentioned before, physical attackers learning special moves, and vice versa. Examples would be Leavanny with Leaf Storm, Haxorus with Dragon Pulse, the Litwick line learning Astonish, Heatran learning Stone Edge, the list goes on.

Years
  • I agree with most of the above, above the psychical and special moves. My Rhyperior beat Cynthia's Garchomp with Ice Beam. Except an Alakazam with a Psycho Cut because Alakazam has NO psychical attack.

LeafeonxxEeveexxEspeon

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • I was once using a Flareon against a grass type, and the thing used Sunny Day. I was like, "Oh... alright, thanks!" Haha. Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Mud Sport, Water Sport, etcetera don't make any sense when learned by Pokémon that don't need them. Especially when the move works against them (Pikachu using Mud Sport, for example).

Back