• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves you hate most?

Fil

Years
  • Protect and Detect. I just went up against a detect spamming trainer in Omega Ruby. My grovyle waited patiently as the sableye consecutively used detect three times, managed to get in a foresight, and then used detect two more times.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Minimize, especially after it got buffed

Sweet Arceus, it makes battling some Pokémon a chore, because most Pokémon that learn it are beefy tanks (Muk...)

Should we count ourselves lucky that Cynthia's Spiritomb didn't have it?

I'd probably toss in a Bright Powder just for giggles as well

Years
  • Oh yeah, here's one I just remembered that I can't believe hasn't been discussed here yet: Yawn. When opposing in-game trainers use it every single turn, it gets horribly arduous and not fun at all. You keep thinking they're going to do something else, but that move is just a total jerk tactic.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    Slam - It would be a reasonable move if Pokemon learned it early-on. A less accurate, more powerful Tackle, fine. But most Pokemon learn it around level 30. So pointless.

Revenge - This thing has caused me to play too conservatively and lose in entirely unexpected ways.

Chatter - Its arguably the best move in the game with its Gen 6 effect. Will any other Pokemon ever learn it?

Fil

Years
  • Oh yeah, here's one I just remembered that I can't believe hasn't been discussed here yet: Yawn. When opposing in-game trainers use it every single turn, it gets horribly arduous and not fun at all. You keep thinking they're going to do something else, but that move is just a total jerk tactic.

No doubt! I had forgotten about yawn and spore; their 100% accuracy is quite annoying.

Years
  • Yes, indeed. Like this:
    Opponent used Yawn!
    Player's Pokémon grew drowsy!
    (switches out)
    Opponent used Yawn!
    Player's Pokémon grew drowsy!
    Repeat two to five times. It feels like a broken record after a while.

And I remember one time wayyyyyyyy back when I was playing in Generation I, and this lonesome Lass on Route 4 (the area that requires Surf) had a Paras that used Spore so many repeated turns even when I kept using the Poké Flute. It's like it was psychic or something.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • What I don't understand is why people believe Swagger to be an 'illegal' move over at smogon

Because Swagger in itself is really "unfun" and total RNG double edged sword that is either:
    1) Works against yourself (You can kill your own team with a Swagger'd enemy)
    2) Totally works against the enemy (Insta Gib your own enemy)

Swagger is a totally frustrating tactic for both players in the field. Its more of a matter of anti-frustration than anything else. Otherwise, battler online would just probably run Swagger on all 6 of his/her pokemon and be a complete jerk.

= it turns the game into Russian Roulette. A bad one. Smogon tries/tried to reduce Russian Roulette in Pokemon battling. Also SWAGplay needs to be mentioned (Swagger + Foul Play = one of my favorite combos in Anything Goes ;3 )

--------------------------------------------------

Moves I hate being used at:

Swagger = Even SMOGON hates it. Anyway, i hate getting Swaggered by WILD POKEMON especially on those EXP/EV training hotspots. Also, if I remember correctly, Maxie and Tabitha in Emerald (Mossdeep Space center) would use this atrocious tactic of their Mightyenas spamming Swagger the moment they see your pokemon use its Attack boost (Bulk Up, Swords Dance, etc), so your pokemon with its +6 attack boost (2 Swaggers + Swords Dance) would KO itself in one go.

Evasion moves = 4/5 of the time, the first buff doesn't work on the player. 5/5 times the first buff works with the AI, and if I remember, in older gens, status moves that would negate Evasion buffs such as Foresight and Lock On still need ACCURACY for them to hit. So if the enemy managed to evade the first attack after its Evasion buff, and it keeps spamming those Evasion moves, there is almost no way for the player to remove the +3 (which is enough to cause frustration) EVA boosts.

Magnitude = When i use Magnitude, i get 4 to 7s even the occasional 8s if I'm lucky. Enemy Gravelller used Magnitude. MAGNITUDE 10!

Moves I hate using or dealing with:

Bide = pretty self explanatory, especially if its the ONLY ATTACK MOVE the pokemon knows, making its training extremely difficult without constant switching in or EXP Share.

Take Down = Oh boy, those annoying times of raising a Beldum (from Steven at RSE). Anyway, Take Down.. its Tackle with higher base power but with Recoil and way less Accuracy as well.

Spoiler:

Balalaika

Subverting all the clichés!  
    Years
  • I hate the move cut, there's just something about it I don't like. Perhaps because it's totally useless in battle and feels like a complete waste of a slot. I don't even like putting it on a HM slave.

Maybe it's because it's called 'cut', so unexciting. If only slash could be used to get rid of the bushes.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There are a few, but from top of my head, I'd say one is Dragon Dance.

Dragon Dance raises our Attack and Speed stats by one stage every time we utilize it, which gets our Pokémon ready for sweep (that is, if they have any physical-based attacks in their move-set). From a user's perspective, it could be very fun to use, but to have it actually executed, however, could be a bit tough sometimes, as your opponent might take you down while you're on your way doing it.

If you're in the receiving end, it could be even more frustrating, unfortunately; if your opponent manages to set up even one Dragon Dance, they could become nearly impossible to stop. Due to similar reasons, I also find myself disliking other stat-boosting moves such as Swords Dance, Shell Smash, and so forth (even though I do personally utilize them every now and again).

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2015
    i hate a lot of moves actually... but the one i hate most is probably aqua ring, always giving some trouble!

another one is problem withdraw

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Stone Edge- it hits really hard and is always 100% accurate when an opponent uses it
    I dont trust moves with accuracy below 90, it will always miss when I use it but always hit when an opponent uses it

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I absolutely hate Swords Dance. Thank you HeartGold, thank you indeed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Besides Dark Void, I hate minimize, double team, and anything else that raises evasion. I also don't like confusion and swagger as well.

Years
  • Honstly, I really hate Thunder Wave. It is far too accurate, and it's always annoying to see my opponent paralyze me. That's why I always need to bring an Espeon with Syncronize with me. It gives others a taste of their own medicine.

Who could forget Yawn? I certainly can't. Everytime someone uses Yawn, I always have to switch out to another Pokemon, but then they immediately use Yawn on that Pokemon as well. It seems like it's only purpose for existing is to make me mad. I have no patience for people who use Yawn every single turn.

Wait, there's one more. Any move that hits you multiple times. I built up hatred for any of these moves when I used to Audino farm in Generation Five. It would always use Double Slap. It would hit me five times in a row more than 75% of the time it used that move. It's the same for any other move. Very annoying, and it's a big waste of my time, having to sit through something that is doing minimal damage to me everytime.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • As a lover of Fire-type Pokémon, one of the moves that I absolutely loathe is 'Rock Tomb.' It's especially annoying when that move hits one of my Charizards since their all doubly weak against the attack! And 'Rock Tomb' seems like it's a powerful move, too, so that just makes me cringe even more when I see it!

Back