• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Moveset for Butterfree and Muk

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Butterfree has Compoundeyes, so you want to capitalize on that. Here's the moveset I stick with when using Butterfree:

Sleep Powder (This has a 90% hit rate with its ability)
    Psychic/Dream Eater/Psybeam (Dream Eater works well in tandem with Sleep Powder, and Psybeam isn't that powerful but carries with it a good chance of confusion)
    Supersonic (This is more prone to missing but can annoy your opponents and buy you a turn)
    This move slot I always have a hard time filling, because while Butterfree learns a lot of attacks, I can never fill it with something I feel confortable with in Fr/Lg. Go hog wild here I guess.

As for Muk I've never used it so I can't say.

Years
    • Age 25
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 3, 2015
    Muk's best asset is its attack stat (which is almost twice as high as its special attack) so it is best to use moves with types that are classified as "phsyical" (or use the attack stat to calculate damage) in that generation! I just looked up a list of the physical types so let's hm, see... that would be these types!:

Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Steel.

Sludge is a good move for Muk until it reaches level 47, in which it can learn Sludge Bomb. I love having Minimize just to mess with the opponent so I would highly recommend it! I find a highly annoying (and fun to use) moveset to be this:

-Sludge Bomb
    -Minimize
    -Attract
    -Body Slam, ( if you can get it from the move tutor, because it has a chance to paralyze! but if not: ) Dig, or Brick Break for coverage.

Muk has incredible HP and Special Defense, so sending him out against a special attacker and annoying the heck out of them (or straight up sludge bombing) should work pretty well!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    As Muk already got a great special defense of its own, combining that with either Acid Armor or Curse can help it to form a good tank.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    Ok,so Butterfree has the ability Compound Eyes,which is great because this ability raises your Accuracy with 30%.

Try those movesets for Butterfree:

//Offensive//
    -Silver Wind(Great STAB move with the chance of randomly raising one stat)
    -Aerial Ace(Great STAB move,never misses)
    -Giga Drain(Recovery)
    -Psychic / Shadow Ball(May lower the foe's SpDef stat)

//Support//
    -Toxic
    -Sunny Day(Allows your Pokemon with Chrolophyll to get faster under the sun/Disables the charging turn for Solarbeam/Raises the Fire type attacks' power/Makes Water type attacks weaker)
    -Rain Dance(Allows your Pokemon with Swift Swim to get faster under the rain/Bypasses the accuracy check for the move Thunder,Raises Water type attacks' power/Makes Fire type attacks weaker)
    -Safeguard
    -Supersonic

//Balanced//
    -Sleep Powder
    -Dream Eater(Use in combination with Sleep Powder/It's also great for recovering)
    -Rain Dance(It will get rid of the super effective Fire types)
    -Silver Wind(Great STAB move with the chance of randomly raising one stat)

Muk:

-Sludge Bomb(A great STAB move)
    -Giga Drain(Gets rid of the nasty ground type)
    -Acid Armor
    -Brick Break/Body Slam

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    The best butterfree moveset is unfortunately pretty hard to get in third gen, and only really applies to post-game and Pokemon Colosseum and XD Gale, but here's the best Butterfree you can make.

Attract
    Sleep Powder
    Nightmare
    Psybeam.

Compoundeyes makes this moveset even more broken than in Gold/Silver where it's much easier to set up. Start with Sleep Powder, then use Nightmare.This drains 1/4 of the opponent's HP every turn it's asleep. Once Nightmare is in effect, use Attract if you're able to. This gives you a better chance of putting an enemy back to sleep unharmed should it wake up. Once these three moves are set up, use Psybeam to deal extra damage, and have the 10% chance of confusion. The confusion chance is much more valuable than the extra damage Psychic can do, since Nightmare should be draining an opponent's HP pretty quickly anyways. The goal of this Butterfree is to completely immobilize an opponent, and since trainers in the games don't really switch too often, it makes this Butterfree a true nightmare. In gen II nothing can stop it, but while the boost of accuracy in third gen is awesome, certain abilities can get in the way of foes being totally helpless against this moveset.

Unfortunately the only way to achieve this set up even to this day is to teach Butterfree Nightmare via the move tutor in Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. It's not particularly useful for the GBA games, but it's a monster in XD/Colosseum battle modes, and is truly the best moveset for Butterfree.

Last edited:
    Back