• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • (Gen V question, as I haven't even bought Pokemon X yet ._.)

Caught a Jolly Durant on Twist Mountain. What's a good moveset for it? Since Hustle lowers its Accuracy, I find Hone Claws to be a good move for it. Thoughts?

Hone Claws helps patch up the accuracy drop Hustle brings:
    -Hone Claws
    -X-Scissor
    -Iron Head/Superpower
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Superpower
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Hustle

or
    -Iron Head
    -Superpower
    -Thunder Fang
    -Hone Claws/X-Scissor
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Ability: Hustle

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Scizor Moveset for X/Y

Hey, I am looking to get into the competitive battle scene and am working on breeding a Scyther with (very near) perfect IVs, Technician and an Adamant nature. Everything is coming along alright with the IVs, but what moveset should my Scizor use?

I was thinking:

Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Acrobatics
    U-Turn

With my EVs like this:

252 Attack
    252 Speed
    4 Sp.Def

I am hoping for scizor to be my goto guy and use him as my sweeper.
    So I ask these questions

•Should I use Scizorite with him?
    •What item do I use?
    •Does this moveset work? (if not) How can I improve it?
    •Other comments.

I am a newcomer to online battling, so any advice helps.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey, I am looking to get into the competitive battle scene and am working on breeding a Scyther with (very near) perfect IVs, Technician and an Adamant nature. Everything is coming along alright with the IVs, but what moveset should my Scizor use?

I was thinking:

Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Acrobatics
    U-Turn

With my EVs like this:

252 Attack
    252 Speed
    4 Sp.Def

I am hoping for scizor to be my goto guy and use him as my sweeper.
    So I ask these questions

•Should I use Scizorite with him?
    •What item do I use?
    •Does this moveset work? (if not) How can I improve it?
    •Other comments.

I am a newcomer to online battling, so any advice helps.
    U-turn makes Scizor waste away its Attack boosts by switching out. Offensive SD Scizor should use Life Orb. Bulky SD Scizor should use Scizorite. Acrobatics isn't worth using since Flying Gem isn't available in X/Y:

Offensive:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -X-Scissor
    -Brick Break
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Ability: Technician

Bulky:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -X-Scissor
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/12 Atk/244 SDef
    Item: Scizorite
    Ability: Technician

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • Still completely baffled in regards to the largely inconsistent priority variatons I'm experiencing competitively

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Look at this Hawlucha Set - To use untill Flying Gem is Availible

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
    252 attk/252 speed
    Ability - Unburden

Sky Attack - To Activate Unburden ASAP
    Acrobatics - reliable stab
    Hi Jump Kick
    Hone Claws.

It did decently on Showdown, but what do yall think?

Still completely baffled in regards to the largely inconsistent priority variatons I'm experiencing competitively

Are you talking about Showdown? I've seen other complain about it. One time, my power herb failed to activate when it was meant to.

Last edited:

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • Are you talking about Showdown? I've seen other complain about it. One time, my power herb failed to activate when it was meant to.

No actually I'm talking about in X & Y Wi-Fi rating battles. There seems to be something I'm missing in regards to priority and occasionally even damage inconsistencies. Have a look at my post on the previous page of the thread if you think you know the problem! Thanks

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I have a question about Aegislash's forme ability: do the offensive and defensive stats merely swap places like in power trick or do the stats independently increase and decrease upon change?

Years
  • I have a question about Aegislash's forme ability: do the offensive and defensive stats merely swap places like in power trick or do the stats independently increase and decrease upon change?

Here's information on Stance Change courtesy of Bulbapedia:

Stance Change allows Aegislash to switch between Blade Forme and Shield Forme. It changes to Blade Forme when using an attacking move, and reverts to Shield Forme when using King's Shield or any other move that increases its Defense or Special Defense, such as Iron Defense. Other status moves will not change its form.
    Stance Change cannot be Traced or removed with Simple Beam or Skill Swap. The ability activates prior to and independently of any checks for status conditions that may stop the execution of the user's attack, such as paralysis or confusion.

Basically, Stance Change acts like Power Trick, it switches Aegislash's defensive stats with its offensive stats. The stats that are increased are at 150 while the stats they swap with are at base 50. The defensive stats are 150 in Shield Forme, offenses are at 50, and vice-versa for Blade Forme.

Hope my answer wasn't too confusing.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • Here's information on Stance Change courtesy of Bulbapedia:

Basically, Stance Change acts like Power Trick, it switches Aegislash's defensive stats with its offensive stats. The stats that are increased are at 150 while the stats they swap with are at base 50. The defensive stats are 150 in Shield Forme, offenses are at 50, and vice-versa for Blade Forme.

Hope my answer wasn't too confusing.

Yeah I think that cleared it up. So since it's like power trick to use an offensive Aegislash I should do Bold with Def EVs since they're gonna swap over when he changes forme?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah I think that cleared it up. So since it's like power trick to use an offensive Aegislash I should do Bold with Def EVs since they're gonna swap over when he changes forme?

Not exactly. Physical Aegislash are commonly seen using Adamant natures with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def. While this seems pointless, when Stance Change activates, the new 150 base Attack of Aegislash's Blade Forme will use the 252 Attack EVs. Mixed Aegislash are occasionally seen as well.

At level 100, the maximum Attack of Shield Forme Aegislash is 218. In Blade Forme, this becomes 438 when the Attack and Defense switch.

Years
    • Age 27
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Yeah I think that cleared it up. So since it's like power trick to use an offensive Aegislash I should do Bold with Def EVs since they're gonna swap over when he changes forme?
    Only the base stats are swapped, not the EVs, IVs, Nature, etc. So, you'd definitely want to invest plenty of EVs into the offensive stats.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 30, 2014
    I've been using this doubles trick room team with mostly positive results on Pokemon Showdown. Critique of it is welcome. I've encountered some problems when my Musharna and Hariyama lead up against Ghost pokemon, since i can't use Fake Out on them. Should i replace Reuniclus with a medium speed Dark type pokemon to be used in the 1st turn when setting up trick room? I keep some speed on my Aegislash so he is less likely to move early in trick room

Smokey (Musharna) (F) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Helping Hand
    - Light Screen

Gamabunta (Hariyama) (M) @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Close Combat
    - Rock Slide
    - Wide Guard

Boneking (Marowak) (M) @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Bonemerang
    - Swords Dance

Soul Edge (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Iron Head
    - King's Shield
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw

Psymon (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

Goku (Ampharos) (M) @ Ampharosite
    Ability: Static
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Rest
    - Cotton Guard
    - Thunderbolt

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I've been using this doubles trick room team with mostly positive results on Pokemon Showdown. Critique of it is welcome. I've encountered some problems when my Musharna and Hariyama lead up against Ghost pokemon, since i can't use Fake Out on them. Should i replace Reuniclus with a medium speed Dark type pokemon to be used in the 1st turn when setting up trick room? I keep some speed on my Aegislash so he is less likely to move early in trick room

Smokey (Musharna) (F) @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Helping Hand
    - Light Screen

Gamabunta (Hariyama) (M) @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Close Combat
    - Rock Slide
    - Wide Guard

Boneking (Marowak) (M) @ Thick Club
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Bonemerang
    - Swords Dance

Soul Edge (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Iron Head
    - King's Shield
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw

Psymon (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

Goku (Ampharos) (M) @ Ampharosite
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Rest
    - Cotton Guard
    - Thunderbolt
    Team looks good, but I'd like to suggest things for Aegislash and Ampharos.

Aegislash is in a Trick Room team and yet it has Speed investment? Why is that the case? Also note that setup moves aren't suited for the fast pace of doubles, so I'd drop it for Sacred Sword. Also, change the nature and EV spread to Brave and 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def.

While Cotton Guard boosts Ampharos' Defense significantly, it's not worth using. Rest is terrible because once you Rest up, you're left a sitting duck:
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast
    -Protect
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Ampharosite

Edit: Also consider Aromatisse on the team. The immunity to Dragon really helps:
    -Trick Room
    -Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam
    -Heal Pulse
    -Hidden Power (Ground)/Thunderbolt/Psychic/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed/Sassy/Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Relaxed), 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (Sassy) or 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef (Quiet)
    Item: Leftovers/Mental Herb

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 30, 2014
    Team looks good, but I'd like to suggest things for Aegislash and Ampharos.

Aegislash is in a Trick Room team and yet it has Speed investment? Why is that the case? Also note that setup moves aren't suited for the fast pace of doubles, so I'd drop it for Sacred Sword. Also, change the nature and EV spread to Brave and 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def.

While Cotton Guard boosts Ampharos' Defense significantly, it's not worth using. Rest is terrible because once you Rest up, you're left a sitting duck:
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast
    -Protect
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Ampharosite

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I figured once in trick room i don't want my Aegislash moving too slow (fast in trick room) because that will leave him in blade form once some of the oppositions slower pokemon attack (who move early in trick room). My aegislash outspeeds Tyranitar and Metagross i assume so i guessed it was good to be in shield forme against them and some other slower threats?

I will change accordingly for my Ampharos

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Try jolly if your smeargle is a physical sweeper.

Jolly (or Timid!) is the preferred nature but I would not deliberately make Smeargle a physical sweeper. With just a measly base attack stat of 20, you can't really make it work. Smeargle's best sets involve moves that benefits the team (like Baton Passing boosts, entry hazards, etc.) so it is best to build it around that.

Years
  • Jolly (or Timid!) is the preferred nature but I would not deliberately make Smeargle a physical sweeper. With just a measly base attack stat of 20, you can't really make it work. Smeargle's best sets involve moves that benefits the team (like Baton Passing boosts, entry hazards, etc.) so it is best to build it around that.

Thanks alot! And another question, is it possible to breed for a Phanpy that knows Stealth Rock?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back