• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Hey all, I never really got into competitive battling but I'm trying to now and would appreciate any advice from others who do so. I'm having trouble deciding on non team and a moveset/EV spread for my eventual dragonite. I currently have an adamant dratini with perfect IV's except Sp. Atk obviously. I'm not sure what moveset to use for it and how many EV's for each stat. The only other Pokemon I have so far in my team is a careful Skarmory with perfect IV's in everything except Sp. Atk. The EV spread I chose to use was 224 HP, 32 Def, and 252 Sp. Def. I wanted him to be well rounded with HP, def, and sp def. His moveset will likely be spikes, toxic, roost, and a physical flying attack. Please help if you can, any advise is appreciated.

You're on the right track with Skarmory's EVs. However, Skarmory's other job besides walling physical attackers and checking special attackers who can't do much to it is phazing with Whirlwind after laying down your hazards. Without Whirlwind, Skarmory is setup bait for sweepers like Lucario.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    You're on the right track with Skarmory's EVs. However, Skarmory's other job besides walling physical attackers and checking special attackers who can't do much to it is phazing with Whirlwind after laying down your hazards. Without Whirlwind, Skarmory is setup bait for sweepers like Lucario.

Thanks so what do you suggest his final moveset should be and how do I get whirlwind?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks so what do you suggest his final moveset should be and how do I get whirlwind?

-Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Steel Wing/Taunt
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
    Ability: Sturdy

Also, Whirlwind is one of Skarmory's egg moves; the father has to be Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor, Sigilyph, Rufflet/Braviary or Noibat/Noivern.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    Given the new type changeups (and inclusion of Fairy) in Gen 6, what are some opinions on Monotype teams. These have always interested me, and I'm curious how viable some of them can be. Also, is there any consensus or opinions on how Mega Evolutions that change types can be used? For example, could you use Mega Charizard X on a Dragon monotype team to have access to Fire STAB, even though he's normally Fire/Flying?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Need Help with my lead (Shuckle)

Hey guys im kinda new to the website so first of all i'd like to say hi!
    Second of all im kinda having trouble with a team member. Shuckle right now is giving me trouble in a way that he has so many good moves i dont know what to teach him. I want him to most definitely have Sticky Web as his entry hazard. Hes going to be my lead so what are your thoughts?
    And if you could also provide an EV spread, Nature, and Ability.
    Thanks in Advanced! :)

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • Would an Adamant Electivire be a Attack Sweeper? With a brutal 123 Base Attack stat and above-average 95-Speed stat, with the proper walls to support it, it could be quite devastating. It can also be a pretty decent Sp. Def wall when it has Light Screen. IVs and EVs are important of course, but let's say they're perfect for now. What then? And, what moves should it have?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Would an Adamant Electivire be a Attack Sweeper? With a brutal 123 Base Attack stat and above-average 95-Speed stat, with the proper walls to support it, it could be quite devastating. IVs and EVs are important of course, but let's say they're perfect for now. What then?

Yes, Electivire is viewed as a physical sweeper. While its move pool is good, the low power behind its coverage moves unless they're super effective let it down, so it's best played as a mixed attacker:
    -Wild Charge
    -Flamethrower
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 248 Atk/36 SAtk/224 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Motor Drive

Edit:
    I was EV training my Talonflame for high speed to capitalize on its already fast base stats but I realized that there was no need to do this because of Gale Wing. Would it be smart to invest my EVs on defense/hp or defense/spD? I'm really new to trying to make competitive pokemon so any help is appreciated.
    Talonflame only needs enough Speed to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, as everything that Flare Blitz should hit is slower than Talonflame. As such, the EV spread should be 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • I was EV training my Talonflame for high speed to capitalize on its already fast base stats but I realized that there was no need to do this because of Gale Wing. Would it be smart to invest my EVs on defense/hp or defense/spD? I'm really new to trying to make competitive pokemon so any help is appreciated.

You can try but given Talonflame's defenses, I'm not sure if it is worth it. Then again, mine has survived hits I thought should have KO'd it. You have to be aware that if you're dealing with opposing Talonflame trained in Speed, they may very well outspeed YOURS and KO it with Brave Bird/Acrobatics. Cuz when two sides both have same priority, the higher speed goes first. Just like regular attacks.

Can you count Super-Training as EVs and if so, how do I tally them up?

Super-training trains in EVs, yes. The punching bags give 1 (small), 4 (medium), 12 (large) EVs. The games give 4 (level 1), 8 (level 2) and 12 (level 3) EVs.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Super_training

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What's a good set for Goodra?

Pick one between two:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Thunderbolt
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 80 HP/252 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Gooey

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Dragon Tail/Power Whip
    -Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb
    Nature: Quiet/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SAtk
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper

Edit:
    Hey guys im kinda new to the website so first of all i'd like to say hi!
    Second of all im kinda having trouble with a team member. Shuckle right now is giving me trouble in a way that he has so many good moves i dont know what to teach him. I want him to most definitely have Sticky Web as his entry hazard. Hes going to be my lead so what are your thoughts?
    And if you could also provide an EV spread, Nature, and Ability.
    Thanks in Advanced! :)

Shuckle is terrible because of its bad defensive typing, can't do much to the opponent outside of Toxic/Infestation and lacks recovery outside of Rest. It also has a bad tendency to get Taunted and be setup bait for virtually every setter-upper in the game. Galvantula, while frail, is the best, if not the only viable, Sticky Web setter in the game:
    -Sticky Web
    -Thunder
    -Bug Buzz
    -Volt Switch/Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Compound Eyes

Last edited:

Garlana

The boy who never grew up.
    Years
  • I lucked out and found a shiny machoke in friend safari with good ivs In every place, it has no guard, however the nature was lonely! Obviously lonely is not ideal, any suggestions on how to get the best out of a lonely no guard machamp?

Years
  • what's a good EVs for a Bold regenerator slowbro?
    has a
    Calm Mind
    Psyshock
    Fire blast
    Surf

his role is a tank sweeper

EDIT: PM Me for advices

Years
  • what's a good EVs for a Bold regenerator slowbro?
    has a
    Calm Mind
    Psyshock
    Fire blast
    Surf

his role is a tank sweeper

EDIT: PM Me for advices

According to Smogon, this is the best EV spread for Bold nature Regenerator Slowbro:

248 HP, 244 Defense, 16 Sp. Attack

Garlana

The boy who never grew up.
    Years
  • I lucked out and found a shiny machoke in friend safari with good ivs In every place, it has no guard, however the nature was lonely! Obviously lonely is not ideal, any suggestions on how to get the best out of a lonely no guard machamp?

Sorry to bump but I'm planning on training this tonight, I was considering fire blast as it's spa iv is 31, any thoughts on evs?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sorry to bump but I'm planning on training this tonight, I was considering fire blast as it's spa iv is 31, any thoughts on evs?

Fire Blast is still weak because Machamp's Special Attack is terrible:
    -Substitute
    -Dynamic Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Toxic
    Nature: (whatever you have)
    EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: No Guard

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back