• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
  • Is a STAB Swords Dance'd Leafblade stronger than a STAB Choice Banded boosted Leafblade? My numbers aren't adding up correctly :(

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    My team has 2 problems, Fighting types and status problems. Who would would be better to use Dragonite or Bronzong to go with this team. Note that I WOULD use sand veil but Showdown bans that ability.

That depends on whether you want to wall Fighting types or quickly get rid of them. You could try the usual Gliscor Toxic Heal Sub set. Or you could try running the annoyance Klefki set.

Klefki @ Leftovers
    Bold / Prankster
    252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
    - Thunder Wave
    - Substitute
    - Swagger
    - Foul Play

And I don't know what you mean by status moves, as in you want to use them more or you're getting beaten by them? You could try running a Clefable which gives you a valuable Fairy slot. I haven't used it myself so I wouldn't know the new set but you could try this. It also has a wide offensive movepool.

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Calm / Magic Guard
    252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD (or reverse Def and SpD)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Wish
    - Moonblast
    - Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Calm Mind

I accidently clicked close first time writing this so I may have forgotten something but I hope I helped a little.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • That depends on whether you want to wall Fighting types or quickly get rid of them. You could try the usual Gliscor Toxic Heal Sub set. Or you could try running the annoyance Klefki set.

Klefki @ Leftovers
    Bold / Prankster
    252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
    - Thunder Wave
    - Substitute
    - Swagger
    - Foul Play

And I don't know what you mean by status moves, as in you want to use them more or you're getting beaten by them? You could try running a Clefable which gives you a valuable Fairy slot. I haven't used it myself so I wouldn't know the new set but you could try this. It also has a wide offensive movepool.

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Calm / Magic Guard
    252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD (or reverse Def and SpD)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Wish
    - Moonblast
    - Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Calm Mind

I accidently clicked close first time writing this so I may have forgotten something but I hope I helped a little.

I get stopped by burn. Since this team is loading with Attackers It pretty much stalls me

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    I get stopped by burn. Since this team is loading with Attackers It pretty much stalls me

That's because your team is very mono dimensional, I'd say you'd probably get sweeped by common Rotom-W and maybe Greninja. Especially with a burn, which as you said destroys your team.

I think you really need to reconsider your team in general, you have very offensive attackers, which will easily be walled by something with some good defence and anything that can generally Will-o-Wisp. You've also got Protect on 4 Pokemon yet you don't have any status issues that hurt the opposition? Your Amoongus is a bit strange as well as it's running Spore, Protect and Rage Powder? The Protect there is useless unless you're stalling with Toxic, and Spore doesn't really make sense because you only have one Pokemon you can swap to try and get a boost off.

In all honesty you should scrap at least two or three of those Pokemon and look for some more balance, you need a defensive presence on your team as well as a utility as it stands now. I'd also recommend mixing up your attackers with a Special Attacker, and you definitely need to be able to set up some hazards or status moves.

Hope I helped!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • That's because his team is a doubles team. I've been trying to get Adrian to state whether his teams is singles or doubles for ages now BECAUSE of this very mix-up but he rarely does. That type of Amoongus is a common one. /shrug

But you're right about the team being a mono-dimensional one. A good team needs a mix of physical and special attackers while this one is too heavily physical.

Adrian, you're doing the same thing wrong as you've done the last 20 or so times. This team is too heavily reliant on Sandstorm. Lose either Excadrill or Garchomp, they do the exact same thing and all you're doing is adding to your weakness. Fighting isn't your only problem, Ice and Water are as well. I don't know how common rain teams are, but I DO know they're still around. If they pop up, you're doomed. Replace with a bulky water type. Boy, you need to find a personal tutor, badly. Because everything we've been posting over the past year isn't getting through to you. And when I say we, I mean the folks here AND on nuggetbridge.

Last edited:

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016

Ohhhh. Yeah that does change a lot of things. I assume the protect is there so he can abuse Earthquake? I've never seen an Amoongus like that before.. but then again I don't usually run doubles.

I think you're right about Sandstorm, in all honesty I don't think it's that useful of a strategy this generation. A lot of teams are running ground Pokemon, especially Tyranitar. I'd probably get rid of Garchomp because Excadrill can abuse Air Balloon which allows his to add Earthquake on it and maybe even Tyranitar if he wishes. Yeah that's why I said Greninja can quickly KO a couple of his Pokemon unless it's singled out, but I think in general a lot of teams are packing a water type.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Water types are usually the bulkiest little buggers you would find in doubles outside of Cresselia. I expect to see just as much water as I would last season. Rotom, Politoed (post-bank), Gastrodon (post-bank), Greninja, Azumarill, blah blah blah. Very scary stuff.

Protect does more than allow you to abuse Earthquake. If you can out-predict your opponent and throw Protect up on the right Pokemon, you can essentially waste your opponent's turn while you still have your other 'mon to lay a hammerblow with. That's why a person often sees a full team with Protect in every moveset.

bleri1200

Bleri
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    What evs are good for a Togekiss with T-wave Roost AirSlash and AuraSphere? Try to give reasons please

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What evs are good for a Togekiss with T-wave Roost AirSlash and AuraSphere? Try to give reasons please

An EV spread of 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe (with Bold) or 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe (with Calm) works best for Togekiss, as either spread maximizes Togekiss' physical and special bulk, respectively.

bleri1200

Bleri
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    An EV spread of 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe (with Bold) or 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe (with Calm) works best for Togekiss, as either spread maximizes Togekiss' physical and special bulk, respectively.
    Do you think razor fang or leftovers would be more viable?

Snork

My cabbages!
    Years
  • Toxic Stall Gogoat moveset

I'm putting together a toxic team and this a potential set I just came up with. Please share you thoughts :)

Gogoat @ Big Root
    Adamant
    Sap-Sipper
    EVs 252HP 252Att 4DF
    -Toxic
    -Leech Seed
    -Horn Leech
    -Eartquake/Milk Drink/Protect

Now I'm running this as a more offensive toxic user as my others are bulk. I chose big root over leftovers to allow one of my other toxic users to use leftovers. The extra offense combined with big root will give a nice heal + attack with horn leech. The last slot I'm thinking earthquake to take out steels who would otherwise resist the toxic and to also cover fire types. Milk drink and protect would be good for a more bulky set with perhaps a -SpAtt +Def/SpDf nature.

Let me if this is good/bad or what I can improve on

I have a toxic Quaqsire and Sylveon so far to go with it

Cheers :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    can you rate my team, im new here meaning im noob at this. this is for competitive play

Greninja(lifeorb)
    Timid-Protean
    252 Satk/Spd 4 HP

Ice Beam
    Surf
    Extrasensory
    Dark Pulse

Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Sword Dance
    Fire Fang

Dazzling Gleam
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute

thinking about putting kangaskhan, scizor/lucario, and ferrothorn for planting hazzards early game

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • can you rate my team, im new here meaning im noob at this. this is for competitive play

Greninja(lifeorb)
    Timid-Protean
    252 Satk/Spd 4 HP

Ice Beam
    Surf
    Extrasensory
    Dark Pulse

Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Sword Dance
    Fire Fang

Dazzling Gleam
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute

thinking about putting kangaskhan, scizor/lucario, and ferrothorn for planting hazzards early game
    There's no reason for Greninja to use Extrasensory besides hitting Toxicroak and Tentacruel. If you can't get Hidden Power Fire, use Grass Knot.

Gengar needs Sludge Bomb to handle Fairies and/or Focus Blast to hit Steels harder than Shadow Ball would:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Substitute/Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Trick/Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast
    -Taunt
    -Destiny Bond
    EVs:4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

All four of the Pokemon you mentioned are viable, though I'm inclined to add Scizor and Ferrothorn to the team since Garchomp (and Greninja) can cover their Fire weaknesses. But if Scizor is using U-turn, then a Rapid Spinner or Defogger may be needed to keep hazards off your side of the field:

Kangaskhan:
    -Return/Double-Edge
    -Power-Up Punch/Fake Out
    -Sucker Punch
    -Crunch/Earthquake
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy

Scizor:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Quick Attack
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -X-Scissor
    -Brick Break
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch/Iron Head
    -Brick Break
    -Pursuit
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Pursuit
    -Brick Break/Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/112 Atk/148 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest/Life Orb

Lucario:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed
    -Earthquake/Crunch
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lucarionite

Ferrothorn:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip/Protect
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/208 Def/48 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    'ight, so I was thinking of breeding up a Mega Aggron kinda like this:

-(Mega) Aggron w/Aggronite
    Nature: ???
    Ability: Filter
    EVs: 252 HP, ???
    Moves: Roar, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Iron Head/Tail

What I'm unsure of is the nature and the other EVs. I like the idea of putting the rest into Sp.Defense so it can take both special and physical hits. But the thought of 252 EVs going into its godly base 230 Defense is just...

So what would be better? A 252 HP and Sp.Defense EV spread, or a 252 HP and Defense EV spread? And which nature would be best for it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • 'ight, so I was thinking of breeding up a Mega Aggron kinda like this:

-(Mega) Aggron w/Aggronite
    Nature: ???
    Ability: Filter
    EVs: 252 HP, ???
    Moves: Roar, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Iron Head/Tail

What I'm unsure of is the nature and the other EVs. I like the idea of putting the rest into Sp.Defense so it can take both special and physical hits. But the thought of 252 EVs going into its godly base 230 Defense is just...

So what would be better? A 252 HP and Sp.Defense EV spread, or a 252 HP and Defense EV spread? And which nature would be best for it?
    A defensive Mega Aggron set should look like this:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Heavy Slam/Iron Head
    -Thunder Wave
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide/Superpower
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy (changed to Filter)

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Heavy Slam/Iron Head
    -Earthquake/Dragon Tail
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy

Despite the lack of Defense investment with an Impish nature, Mega Aggron can get away with it because its Defense is already incredibly high.

I'm putting together a toxic team and this a potential set I just came up with. Please share you thoughts :)

Gogoat @ Big Root
    Adamant
    Sap-Sipper
    EVs 252HP 252Att 4DF
    -Toxic
    -Leech Seed
    -Horn Leech
    -Eartquake/Milk Drink/Protect

Now I'm running this as a more offensive toxic user as my others are bulk. I chose big root over leftovers to allow one of my other toxic users to use leftovers. The extra offense combined with big root will give a nice heal + attack with horn leech. The last slot I'm thinking earthquake to take out steels who would otherwise resist the toxic and to also cover fire types. Milk drink and protect would be good for a more bulky set with perhaps a -SpAtt +Def/SpDf nature.

Let me if this is good/bad or what I can improve on

I have a toxic Quaqsire and Sylveon so far to go with it

Cheers :)
    (missed this one)

Gogoat is better off using Bulk Up, IMO, as its low Defense is easily exploitable. Amoonguss and Venusaur are better Toxic abusers because Toxic never misses when it's used by Poison Pokemon.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is team building for 3v3 battles different than 6v6?

A little bit, yeah. Since you can't use all 6 of your Pokemon, I find it better to create 2 teams of 3 Pokémon that all work well together. That way, there's less confusion about who you should use in a battle. It comes down to "Am I gonna use team A or team B? Which one is better against his team overall?"

Fer example, I use these Pokémon for my current Battle Spot team:
    1) Greninja, Goodra, Aegislash
    2) Garchomp, Wash Rotom, Mega Lucario

Each member of each half-team works well with each other, so I don't have to think about which individual to use, just which team.

Now that I've typed all this, I'm not sure if it answered the question, but I'm gonna click submit anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    Help With Team

Hi, which nature and EV's are good for Metagross and a Excadrill?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back