• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi, which nature and EV's are good for Metagross and a Excadrill?

Both are best off Adamant, but Excadrill can also go Jolly:

Metagross:
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt/Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm/Bullet Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body

Excadrill:
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin
-Shadow Claw/Swords Dance
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Assault Vest/Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker/Sand Rush

Fabe Franco

PKMN MC (wow that's corny...)
Years
Impish or Adamant/Jolly Gyarados?

Whats good y'all!

I need a support for Gengar, but am looking for a Gyarados. Is the rest/talk moveset good for an Impish Gyara with 252 HP, 252 Def and 4 att?

Or should I counter Gengar's check (mainly Scizor) with another PKMN? Are there other mons that can take Scizor plus cover other of Gengar's threats?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
About tiers

So, I am very new to metagames and I am confused with tiers and banlist.
I used to play yugioh and they have a very strict rule about what can be used and what can not.
In pokemon, do we have anything like that?
I made a team based on smogon tiers (OU UU etc), and I am not allowed to enter PPS battle because I have two same items in the team. While the battle spot contains people with 3 or even more legendary pokemons,the game rule is pretty broken in my opinion.
I am so confused for which rule should I stick with.
Also,do we have 6 vs 6 normal rule in battle spots? I think 3v3 is very different from 6v6.

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
Years
How wise would it be to have a Kangaskhan used in OU without Mega Evolving it? Smogon says it even has difficulty in RU, but it definitely has the bulk to be scary in OU after some supportive boosting. Here's a set I hink will be decent.

Adamant, Scrappy, 252 EVs in HP and Attack, holding Life Orb/Muscle Band

Outrage
Sucker Punch
Mega Punch/Double Edge (depends if I really want to breed it)
Brick Break

Do keep in mind that I have never used Kangaskhan . Ever. So do be gentle.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
How wise would it be to have a Kangaskhan used in OU without Mega Evolving it? Smogon says it even has difficulty in RU, but it definitely has the bulk to be scary in OU after some supportive boosting. Here's a set I hink will be decent.

Adamant, Scrappy, 252 EVs in HP and Attack, holding Life Orb/Muscle Band

Outrage
Sucker Punch
Mega Punch/Double Edge (depends if I really want to breed it)
Brick Break

Do keep in mind that I have never used Kangaskhan . Ever. So do be gentle.

Kangaskhan is only good in its Mega form. Without it, it's outclassed by other OU attackers:
-Return/Douvle-Edge
-Power-up Punch/Fake Out
-Sucker Punch
-Earthquajr/Crunch
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs; 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Kangaskhante
Ability: Scrappy

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
So, I am very new to metagames and I am confused with tiers and banlist.
I used to play yugioh and they have a very strict rule about what can be used and what can not.
In pokemon, do we have anything like that?
I made a team based on smogon tiers (OU UU etc), and I am not allowed to enter PPS battle because I have two same items in the team. While the battle spot contains people with 3 or even more legendary pokemons,the game rule is pretty broken in my opinion.
I am so confused for which rule should I stick with.
Also,do we have 6 vs 6 normal rule in battle spots? I think 3v3 is very different from 6v6.

Battle spot is basically playing by official Pokemon rules. Across all battle spot formats, the rules are no two pokemon of the same species, no two items can be the same, no cover/event legendaries and those overpowered legendaries (I'm talking Mewtwo and Zygarde in this case). Doubles is 4 vs 4 though you show up with 6. Singles is 3 vs 3, you show up with 6. Basically it's the same rules as in Battle Maison. In case you're wondering, doubles battle spot is using the official pokemon championship rules.

Smogon rules are fan-made, and the most popular set of fan-made rules out there. That's mainly because they do a lot of extensive testing.

In the end, it's up to you. If you're gonna battle Smogon tiers over wifi, you should agree with your opponent which tiers you'll follow, or else you'll end up showing up with an OU team while your opponent has legendaries.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
How does Seismic Toss work in battle?

It inflicts a set amount of damage equal to the user's level. If the user is level 50, it will always do 50 damage. If it's level 60, it'll do 60 damage, and so on. It's ideal on Pokemon who have low offensive stats, like Blissey and Registeel.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen today
Battle spot is basically playing by official Pokemon rules. Across all battle spot formats, the rules are no two pokemon of the same species, no two items can be the same, no cover/event legendaries and those overpowered legendaries (I'm talking Mewtwo and Zygarde in this case). Doubles is 4 vs 4 though you show up with 6. Singles is 3 vs 3, you show up with 6. Basically it's the same rules as in Battle Maison. In case you're wondering, doubles battle spot is using the official pokemon championship rules.

Smogon rules are fan-made, and the most popular set of fan-made rules out there. That's mainly because they do a lot of extensive testing.

In the end, it's up to you. If you're gonna battle Smogon tiers over wifi, you should agree with your opponent which tiers you'll follow, or else you'll end up showing up with an OU team while your opponent has legendaries.

I just wanna point out that all legendaries are allowed in unrated Battle Spot battles.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
Move for eviolite Dusclops?

Hi, I'm training a Dusclops to use with eviolite, and I have 3 moves decided, but I can't decide the fourth. The 3 moves I already have planned are
- Night shade
- will o wisp
- pain split
With eviolite, dusclops becomes a good tank, even with few PS, so I can't decide the fourth move. This is my candidate list:
- Toxic (in case of will o wisp immunity)
- Confuse ray (to add its effect to burn)
- Protect (to last a few turns more while burns make effect)
- Curse (passive damage also, but risky)
- Taunt (to avoid toxic, etc)
- Trick room (to play pain split first)
Other less probable could be Foresight, or Mean look.

What do you think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi, I'm training a Dusclops to use with eviolite, and I have 3 moves decided, but I can't decide the fourth. The 3 moves I already have planned are
- Night shade
- will o wisp
- pain split
With eviolite, dusclops becomes a good tank, even with few PS, so I can't decide the fourth move. This is my candidate list:
- Toxic (in case of will o wisp immunity)
- Confuse ray (to add its effect to burn)
- Protect (to last a few turns more while burns make effect)
- Curse (passive damage also, but risky)
- Taunt (to avoid toxic, etc)
- Trick room (to play pain split first)
Other less probable could be Foresight, or Mean look.

What do you think?
Curse is pretty much a given in UU because of its stall breaking capabilities. Relying on confusion isn't good, because it can be cured by switching. Dusclops is too slow for Taunt:
-Night Shade
-Curse
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split/Rest
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Eviolite

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
Anyone else being disconnected from battle?

For some strange reason my 3DS loses it's internet connection sometimes during battle. I'd say once every 5 games or so... Weird thing is, i can be connected forever as long as i'm not battling. Anyone know a fix for this problem? I'd hate for my opponent to think i quit on purpose, and when ranked battles are back and running i don't want this problem ruining my ranking

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
For some strange reason my 3DS loses it's internet connection sometimes during battle. I'd say once every 5 games or so... Weird thing is, i can be connected forever as long as i'm not battling. Anyone know a fix for this problem? I'd hate for my opponent to think i quit on purpose, and when ranked battles are back and running i don't want this problem ruining my ranking

Are you sure that it's not your internet connection? Try asking someone you know who has a 3DS to check if the same thing happens to them whilst connected to your hotspot.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Talonflame
Adamant/Item???
Evs:252HP 252ATK 4Speed
Ability:Gale Wings

-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Acrobatics
-Roost/Sword Dance

Does Talonflame learn flare blitz and brave bird via heart scale?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Talonflame
Adamant/Item???
Evs:252HP 252ATK 4Speed
Ability:Gale Wings

-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Acrobatics
-Roost/Sword Dance

Does Talonflame learn flare blitz and brave bird via heart scale?

Yes, Talonflame gets Flare Blitz and Brave Bird as Heart Scale moves; you should've checked its Bulbapedia/Serebii article. Also, I wouldn't use Brave Bird and Acrobatics together; that's redundant. Acrobatics is best used with Flying Gem, which isn't released at the moment. It should also use 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe to outspeed Mega Kangaskhan, as Gale Wings already gives priority to Brave Bird:
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Brave Bird
-Roost/Tailwind/Will-o-Wisp
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Since i am only gonna use pokebank while the free trial what B/W/B2/W2/ only moves should i teach my pokemon in these games that cannot be obtained in X Y?
Also in White 2 i have 8 Blue Shards.On which pokemon should i spend them?Already spend some on Honchkrow.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since i am only gonna use pokebank while the free trial what B/W/B2/W2/ only moves should i teach my pokemon in these games that cannot be obtained in X Y?
Also in White 2 i have 8 Blue Shards.On which pokemon should i spend them?Already spend some on Honchkrow.

Out of the moves that cost 8 Blue Shards or less, spend them on Aqua Tail, Earth Power or Zen Headbutt (for the Pokemon who can use those moves viably).

Years
Out of the moves that cost 8 Blue Shards or less, spend them on Aqua Tail, Earth Power or Zen Headbutt (for the Pokemon who can use those moves viably).

To add to this, if you can bite the bullet and grind out 2 more Blue Shards, you can teach Superpower which is an important move for 'mons like Scizor and Hydreigon, especially.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
Are you sure that it's not your internet connection? Try asking someone you know who has a 3DS to check if the same thing happens to them whilst connected to your hotspot.

It doesn't happen on my Xbox so i'm pretty sure the problem isn't with my internet connection. I don't know anyone irl with a 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back