• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Is Special Victini at all viable? I have a Timid natured one so..

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is Special Victini at all viable? I have a Timid natured one so..

Special Victini is viable, yes, but it needs its event moves to work effectively:
-Blue Flare
-Thunder
-Focus Blast
-Glaciate
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Special Victini is viable, yes, but it needs its event moves to work effectively:
-Blue Flare
-Thunder
-Focus Blast
-Glaciate
Nature: Timid/Modest
Well the Move Tutor isn't offering me Blue Flare or Glaciate haha. I guess Fire Blast/Overheat would be the best replacement option for Blue Flare, but Psychic is the only thing I have to replace Glaciate, which obviously doesn't offer the same coverage or drop.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Well the Move Tutor isn't offering me Blue Flare or Glaciate haha. I guess Fire Blast/Overheat would be the best replacement option for Blue Flare, but Psychic is the only thing I have to replace Glaciate, which obviously doesn't offer the same coverage or drop.

Blue Flare and Glaciate are staples on special Victini; the latter slows down opponents on the switch; the former is a nuke attack. Fire Blast makes you lose out on a bit of power; I don't have much to say about Psychic.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Still comparing the merits of Bulky Volcorona vs. Sweeper Volcorona. I use one in doubles with a Klefki to Sunny Day and Reflect. Tried both in Showdown Not been having a Good Time with either one.

Bulky Volly @ Weakness Policy
Flame Body
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spee
-Heatwave
-Bug Buzz / HP Rock
-Quiver Dance
-Roost

Bulky Vol with Reflect and Sunny Day support can take a hit and Dance on turn one. Then get Sunny Day on turn 2. Sunny Day boost my fire on top of the +1/+3 I might get if WP activates. The Problem with Bulky Vol is Roost forgoes a coverage move like HP-Rock.

Sweppy Volly @ Sitrus Berry/ Life Orb/ Weakness Policy
Modest
252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Def
-Heatwave
-Bug Buzz
-HP Rock / Solor Beam / Giga Drain. (Prankster Sunny Day makes Solar Beam... usable)
-Quiver Dance

Is Bug Buzz extremely Important for coverage? How about This --

Heatwave
Giga Drain / Solar Beam
HP Rock
Quiver Dance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Still comparing the merits of Bulky Volcorona vs. Sweeper Volcorona. I use one in doubles with a Klefki to Sunny Day and Reflect. Tried both in Showdown Not been having a Good Time with either one.

Bulky Volly @ Weakness Policy
Flame Body
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spee
-Heatwave
-Bug Buzz / HP Rock
-Quiver Dance
-Roost

Bulky Vol with Reflect and Sunny Day support can take a hit and Dance on turn one. Then get Sunny Day on turn 2. Sunny Day boost my fire on top of the +1/+3 I might get if WP activates. The Problem with Bulky Vol is Roost forgoes a coverage move like HP-Rock.

Sweppy Volly @ Sitrus Berry/ Life Orb/ Weakness Policy
Modest
252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Def
-Heatwave
-Bug Buzz
-HP Rock / Solor Beam / Giga Drain. (Prankster Sunny Day makes Solar Beam... usable)
-Quiver Dance

Is Bug Buzz extremely Important for coverage? How about This --

Heatwave
Giga Drain / Solar Beam
HP Rock
Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz is preferred because it's Volcarona's secondary STAB. Those are always good to have. Also, Protect is a staple in doubles formats to protect against incoming attacks, while the partner deals with the opponent:
-Quiver Dance/Tailwind
-Heat Wave
-Bug Buzz
-Protect
Nature: Timid
Item: Lum Berry/Charti Berry

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
So, I was thinking of pairing a Blissey up with a tanky pokemon in doubles and have the Blissey keep the tank and itself up. Now, to help negate Blissey's glaring weakness of physical attacks, I would bring out a shuckle with it and have the shuckle use Guard Split, then swap to a tanky pokemon with Taunt to disrupt Roar. Obviously this could be countered by attacks like Dragon Tail, but nothing's perfect.

Blissey@ Leppa Berry
Recycle
Heal Pulse
Softboiled
Healing Bell

Would it work?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So, I was thinking of pairing a Blissey up with a tanky pokemon in doubles and have the Blissey keep the tank and itself up. Now, to help negate Blissey's glaring weakness of physical attacks, I would bring out a shuckle with it and have the shuckle use Guard Split, then swap to a tanky pokemon with Taunt to disrupt Roar. Obviously this could be countered by attacks like Dragon Tail, but nothing's perfect.

Blissey@ Leppa Berry
Recycle
Heal Pulse
Softboiled
Healing Bell

Would it work?

Blissey is Taunt bait. Here's a much better set to use on it:
-Toxic
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Protect
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Chople Berry
Ability: Natural Cure

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What is the best set for infernape?

Pick one:
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist

or
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Mach Punch/Thunder Punch
Item: Choice Band

or
-Flare Blitz/Fire Blast/Overheat
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch/U-turn/Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn/Stone Edge
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Stealth Rock
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Fake Out
Item: Focus Sash

or
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Stone Edge/Thunder Punch
Item: Choice Scarf

dontstay96

Grass-man
Years
Pick one:
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
Item: Life Orb

or
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Mach Punch/Thunder Punch
Item: Choice Band

or
-Flare Blitz/Fire Blast/Overheat
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch/U-turn/Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn/Stone Edge

or
-Stealth Rock
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Fake Out
Item: Focus Sash

or
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Stone Edge/Thunder Punch
Item: Choice Scarf

What about Fire Punch in the first set?

Years
I should start by saying that I'm still fairly new to competitive battling.

I've been running a lot of battles on Pokemon Showdown with a team I have in X, and I'm still puzzled about something. On this team I have a Mega Houndoom (mainly because I wanted to use a Houndoom), and it has been out-speeded in two very puzzling situations. My Houndoom runs a Modest nature and has 31 IVs in Speed and 252 EVs towards the stat. In the first case, I was out-speeded by a Terrakion that was not choice scarfed. I know their base speed stats are close, but I thought Mega Houndoom would win the speed race and it didn't. So I assumed it had some speed-boosting nature. Then, I got out-speeded in a different battle by an assault vest Goodra. I just...I'm confused by all of this. Is there a speed calculator to figure out this stuff or am I just missing something obvious? I wasn't paralyzed, no sticky web, etc. It's just really frustrating to believe that I'm gonna win a speed race and then I don't and I wind up losing a Pokemon because of it. Any suggestions?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
When a Pokemon Mega-Evolves, his original speed is used for that turn, then his mega-evolved speed stat is used for the next round.

Like when you T-Wave a fast pokemon, the turn order doesn't account for speed changes that happen during a turn. On the next turn changes are applied.

that MIGHT be what you were looking for.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

I've been running a lot of battles on Pokemon Showdown with a team I have in X, and I'm still puzzled about something. On this team I have a Mega Houndoom (mainly because I wanted to use a Houndoom), and it has been out-speeded in two very puzzling situations. My Houndoom runs a Modest nature and has 31 IVs in Speed and 252 EVs towards the stat. In the first case, I was out-speeded by a Terrakion that was not choice scarfed. I know their base speed stats are close, but I thought Mega Houndoom would win the speed race and it didn't. So I assumed it had some speed-boosting nature. Then, I got out-speeded in a different battle by an assault vest Goodra. I just...I'm confused by all of this. Is there a speed calculator to figure out this stuff or am I just missing something obvious? I wasn't paralyzed, no sticky web, etc. It's just really frustrating to believe that I'm gonna win a speed race and then I don't and I wind up losing a Pokemon because of it. Any suggestions?
Take note that Mega Houndoom's base Speed is 115.

Timid is the preferred nature for Mega Houndoom because with Modest, it fails to outspeed certain Pokemon like Gengar, Mega Lucario, and the aforementioned Terrakion (the Terrakion you encountered used a Jolly nature). At level 50, Modest Megadoom's max Speed with 31 IVs and 252 EVs is 167, while Timid Megadoom's Speed is 183. At level 100, assuming 31 IVs and 252 Speed EVs, its max Speed is 329; at level 100, its max Speed is 361. The general rule of thumb for fast, frail sweepers like Mega Houndoom is to use a +Speed nature, like Timid or Modest to outspeed as many threats as possible. Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam can get away with Adamant and Modest, respectively, because 150 base Speed outspeeds a whole lot of opponents, even without a +Speed nature.

And to add, here's the preferred set for Mega Houndoom, but take note that it must be used with sun support:
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse/Destiny Bond
-Solar Beam/Hidden Power (Ground/Fighting)
-Sunny Day/Destiny Bond
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire

To add to Snowpointquincy's post, did Houndoom switch into Sticky Web or trigger Goodra's Gooey with a contact move?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today

That Terrakion was most likely using a Jolly nature, so it could've just barely outspeed Mega Houdoom since yours is using a Modest nature.

Something to keep in mind is that on the turn a Pokemon mega evolves, its Speed is the same as its regular form. So in Mega Houndoom's case, it acts like it has a base 95 Speed on the turn it mega evolves instead of base 115. So that may account for some of your Speed issues too.

Or you're unlucky and are always losing the speed tie.

As for that Goodra, I have no idea why it would outspeed your Mega Houndoom. Goodra is slower than even regular Houndoom, and the Assault Vest version never runs Speed EVs and/or a Speed Boosting nature. Even if it was using max Speed EVs and a Speed+ nature, Houndoom with max Speed EVs and a Speed neutral nature outspeeds by 4 points.

And were you using any negative priority moves in these situations?

EDIT: Oh...I got ninja'd....again....by 2 people....

LightBlast

I am fire. I am... death!
Years
What is the preferred attack for ZardY, Fire Blast or Flamethrower? What does Fire Blast 2HKO what Flamethrower can't?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What is the preferred attack for ZardY, Fire Blast or Flamethrower? What does Fire Blast 2HKO what Flamethrower can't?

Fire Blast is preferred.

Fire Blast 2HKOs Bold Sylveon (Bold Sylveon is still preferred over the specially defensive variant), while Flamethrower isn't guaranteed to do that:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 249-294 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 205-243 (52 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Though Mega Kangaskhan is banned in simulators, Drought Megazard Y's Flamethrower 2HKOs it, while Fire Blast has a chance to OHKO:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 313-369 (89.1 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 256-303 (72.9 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back