• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just wanted to know which is a better attack. Surf or Water Pulse? Surf does bigger damage but Water Pulse can confuse the opponent but with less punch.

This is for single Pokemon, btw.

Surf is better for nearly all Pokemon with access to both Surf and Water Pulse because its higher power outweighs Water Pulse's confusion chance. The only exceptions to this rule are Mega Blastoise and Clawitzer because both have Mega Launcher, which powers up Water Pulse to an equal level of Surf, making the former attack the superior option due to having more PP and a confusion chance.

Frokage

The legendary curse
Years
Bulky tales<3

Hey everyone! I made this thread, not because I'm looking for assistance on my entire team, but more because I've been bothered with my Ninetales..

Ninetales is my favourite Pokémon, and is the most beautiful shiny creature ever (imo)<3.So after what seemed like forever searching, I finally managed to get a shiny 6IV HA (drought) Ninetales from a guy on JFlynn's stream.
I wanted to run an offensive set on it, however, it seems to be Bold.

I used a reset bag on it, so its EVs have been reset (they were spread all over). So now I'm mainly looking for a decent bulky set I can run with my Tales. What EV spread would be best for a Bold, Drought 6IV Ninetales, and what moveset should it have?

I really hope you guys can give me some answers!
Thanks<3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey everyone! I made this thread, not because I'm looking for assistance on my entire team, but more because I've been bothered with my Ninetales..

Ninetales is my favourite Pokémon, and is the most beautiful shiny creature ever (imo)<3.So after what seemed like forever searching, I finally managed to get a shiny 6IV HA (drought) Ninetales from a guy on JFlynn's stream.
I wanted to run an offensive set on it, however, it seems to be Bold.

I used a reset bag on it, so its EVs have been reset (they were spread all over). So now I'm mainly looking for a decent bulky set I can run with my Tales. What EV spread would be best for a Bold, Drought 6IV Ninetales, and what moveset should it have?

I really hope you guys can give me some answers!
Thanks<3

Calm would've been the preferred nature, but here goes:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/140 Def/120 Spe
Item: Heat Rock
Ability: Drought

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
Just hatched my shiny Adamant Beldum, EV spread?

Hey guys!

So, 19 boxes later, I finally hatched my shiny Beldum with Adamant nature. Wondering what two-way EV spread I should train it in.

So far I'm maxxing out its attack until I decide what to train next. Any and all help/input is appreciated!!

:D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey guys!

So, 19 boxes later, I finally hatched my shiny Beldum with Adamant nature. Wondering what two-way EV spread I should train it in.

So far I'm maxxing out its attack until I decide what to train next. Any and all help/input is appreciated!!

:D

HP if you want Metagross to take a tanky approach. Speed if you want to use Agility:
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch/Pursuit/Trick
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Leftovers/Iron Ball
Ability: Clear Body

or
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt/Pursuit
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body

or
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch/Ice Punch
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Frokage

The legendary curse
Years
Calm would've been the preferred nature, but here goes:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/140 Def/120 Spe
Item: Heat Rock
Ability: Drought

Thanks Platinum! Just wondering though, would Hypnosis be a viable move to run on it? And yeah, Calm would be good, but I didn't know its nature at the time of the trade. The guy just told me it's a 5IV HA Vulpix at the time. :/

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
What's good for jolteon? Timid, or modest?

Timid is best for the extra speed. It allows it to outspeed Greninja, Talonflame, and Noivern...all things you want Jolteon to outspeed. Jolteon's movepool is also kinda shallow, so you can often get away with using Choice Specs for a power boost and spamming one move.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks Platinum! Just wondering though, would Hypnosis be a viable move to run on it? And yeah, Calm would be good, but I didn't know its nature at the time of the trade. The guy just told me it's a 5IV HA Vulpix at the time. :/

Hypnosis' shaky accuracy makes it a not-so-good option.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Best set for tyranrum and aerodactyl?

Tyrantrum is outclassed by a lot of things, but this is the best it can do:
-Dragon Dance
-Head Smash/Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Mega Aerodactyl:
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Fire Fang
-Aqua Tail/Ice Fang
-Aerial Ace/Taunt/Roost
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Aerodactylite

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I'm considering breeding a Crawdaunt for competitive battling. Is this a good setup?

Ability: Adaptability
Item: Scope Lens
Moves: Crabhammer, Night Slash, Aqua Jet, Superpower
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP

The strategy is to exploit its access to two STAB moves with a high critical ratio (Crabhammer and Night Slash) together with the change in critical mechanics in X/Y, and its access to Adaptability.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm considering breeding a Crawdaunt for competitive battling. Is this a good setup?

Ability: Adaptability
Item: Scope Lens
Moves: Crabhammer, Night Slash, Aqua Jet, Superpower
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP

The strategy is to exploit its access to two STAB moves with a high critical ratio (Crabhammer and Night Slash) together with the change in critical mechanics in X/Y, and its access to Adaptability.
Kingdra does the critical hit gimmick better because of Sniper and the bulk to take hits, though it'll have to set up with Focus Energy beforehand. Crawdaunt, on the other hand, is too slow and frail and is best off wall breaking with its Adaptability-boosted STABs in Knock Off, Crabhammer and Aqua Jet. Water/Dark has good coverage together, leaving Crawdaunt with little reason to use Superpower.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Kingdra does the critical hit gimmick better because of Sniper and the bulk to take hits, though it'll have to set up with Focus Energy beforehand. Crawdaunt, on the other hand, is too slow and frail and is best off wall breaking with its Adaptability-boosted STABs in Knock Off, Crabhammer and Aqua Jet. Water/Dark has good coverage together, leaving Crawdaunt with little reason to use Superpower.

Thanks. I'll consider Kingdra, although it's going to be harder for me to get hold of one. Crawdaunt has a base Defense of 85, so it can actually take hits too, if you're careful what you bring it out against. It's certainly slow though. And Superpower was just a filler really, so I'll replace that with Knock Off.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks. I'll consider Kingdra, although it's going to be harder for me to get hold of one. Crawdaunt has a base Defense of 85, so it can actually take hits too, if you're careful what you bring it out against. It's certainly slow though. And Superpower was just a filler really, so I'll replace that with Knock Off.

Your EV spread is inefficient as well. Max HP gives you better overall bulk on both offensive ends.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Why would I need it on both ends?

Though Crawdaunt has bad defenses, it may need the max HP to take the occasional weak resisted hit. Players still prefer using max Attack/max Speed on Crawdaunt to let it outspeed as many walls as it can.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Though Crawdaunt has bad defenses, it may need the max HP to take the occasional weak resisted hit. Players still prefer using max Attack/max Speed on Crawdaunt to let it outspeed as many walls as it can.

Ah, I see. I can't help but feel it's wasted on HP though when its Defense already far outstrips its Special Defense.

Jasonmii

Der Kaffee geht auf mich.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
I need some help with my Xerneas. I never bothered training it throughout the whole game, now I am trying to figure out the best EVs for it. It has a naughty nature (+ attack, - special defense), which isn't the nature I prefer, but oh well. lol Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should invest EVs?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need some help with my Xerneas. I never bothered training it throughout the whole game, now I am trying to figure out the best EVs for it. It has a naughty nature (+ attack, - special defense), which isn't the nature I prefer, but oh well. lol Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should invest EVs?

Naughty nature isn't good for Xerneas, tbh, because its main STAB, Moonblast is a special move. It doesn't learn Play Rough either, though it does get some physical coverage moves. I'd use 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back