• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Serperior's max Speed at level 50 is 181. A level 50 neutral Terrakion's Speed is at 160 with a 31 IV and 152 with a 15 IV. (you may know this)

A Timid Nidoking's maximum Speed with a 31 IV is 150; with Modest, it's 137. So the Nidoking most definitely held a Choice Scarf.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Should i use competitive or infiltrator on female espurr?
    Either one doesn't matter. Male Meowstic sees better usage because of Prankster; female Meowstic faces heavy competition from other offensive Psychics like Gallade, Gardevoir, Lati@s and Alakazam, due to their superior offensive stats and/or Speed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Serperior's Speed at level 50 is 181. A level 50 neutral Terrakion's Speed is at 160 with a 31 IV and 152 with a 15 IV. (you may know this)

A Timid Nidoking's maximum Speed with a 31 IV is 150; with Modest, it's 137. So the Nidoking most definitely held a Choice Scarf.
    Since you bother to do the math, you do understand that Serperior is much faster than Terrakion, right?

The real question:

why were you using a Serperior
    Serperior's job was to either set up barriers or Dragon Tails those who are setting up (IE. Dragon dance or Swords Dance)

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Yes, I do understand that. I used Pokemon Showdown's damage calculator to compare base Speeds.

Okay. So logic states that if Nidoking can outspeed the faster of the 2, then he should outspeed both not one. But it can outspeed Serperior, but not Terrakion (which you yourself analyzed that Terrakion's speed is much slower than Serperior).

I really don't see why this topic was moved to simple questions. This is obviously not a simple question, and it's meant to be a discussion to understand speed mechanics. And for a simple question, nobody seems to know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Do you remember what move Serperior was using? Dragon Tail, perhaps?

Additionally, the Nidoking could have been holding a Quick Claw.

I really don't see why this topic was moved to simple questions. This is obviously not a simple question, and it's meant to be a discussion to understand speed mechanics. And for a simple question, nobody seems to know the answer.
    When given enough information, it is most certainly a simple question. Regardless, please discuss this with me directly rather than posting here.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    My serperior was using reflect. And you would normally see a message saying "Nidoking went first with the help of quick claw" or something similar in nature.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    My serperior was using reflect. And you would normally see a message saying "Nidoking went first with the help of quick claw" or something similar in nature.
    Then either a) Nidoking was going to use a low priority move vs Terrakion before it got KOed (e.g. Dragon Tail), b) Terrakion used a high priority move, or c) one of the Pokemon had their stats raised or lowered via move, item, etc. Otherwise, that situation simply isn't possible and we can only deduce that it was a glitch.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Just to test the "Choice Scarf" theory, I had a mock battle with the same party, and frisked the Nidoking. It was NOT holding a choice scarf OR a quick claw. It was holding a Black Sludge. So now this makes even less sense.

For anyone who is thinking I am making this up, I am posting the battle:

Battle Video code:
    VZ3G-WWWW-WWW8-4ZFR

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2014
    My friend and I want to make a doubles team together, and a Pokemon I want to use is Slurpuff, but I don't know what set it should have. I want to use a Belly Drum set, but a cleric or CM set seem like they would be good options too. Which would be more useful in Doubles and what moves/EVs/items/etc should it have?

SonicUpdater

Helping the trainers
    Years
  • Need help on Kecleon

So I honestly cannot get enough of Kecleon. Ever since it got Protean it opened a shining light for me. Currently this is the build I use:

Kecleon @ Assault Vest/Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Power-Up Punch

I want to know if the priority moves are a bit overkill, for me the main reason I used a lot is due to Kecleon's speed. I usually use this Kecleon for trick room teams, but I want to know if there would be a better build for just all around play, including 1v1's.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I honestly cannot get enough of Kecleon. Ever since it got Protean it opened a shining light for me. Currently this is the build I use:

Kecleon @ Assault Vest/Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Power-Up Punch

I want to know if the priority moves are a bit overkill, for me the main reason I used a lot is due to Kecleon's speed. I usually use this Kecleon for trick room teams, but I want to know if there would be a better build for just all around play, including 1v1's.
    Kecleon could use Recover over one of its offensive moves if it opts for Life Orb. Being worn down when you lack recovery sucks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2016
    The Masquerain Ball

Is masquerain a viable baton pass pokemon? The option to pass into an intimidate seems nice. It has decent health bulk as well. I feel like I'm having a hard time fitting it in. There are so many things a baton pass team needs: recovery, status heal, entry hazard removal, etc. The following build is the only one I've been able to come up with.

Masquerain
    w/Leftovers
    Impish nature
    252 hp/168 def/88 sp.def
    Ability: intimidate
    Moves:
    Baton pass
    Quiver dance
    Toxic
    Roost

Is there a better way to run it that I'm overlooking? Or perhaps I'm just stuck because I have no idea what to partner it with?

Mr. President

Yellow
    Years
  • How Does It Work?

Hey! I have Pokemon X, but no friends yet, but I have a friend code.

I wanna find more people to battle, so how does it work? Do we have to trade friend codes to be considered friends? Or can one person just put in their code and it'll automatically link? And do we both have to be online on a DS to get invites or something?

Thanks, and my code is in my sig!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is masquerain a viable baton pass pokemon? The option to pass into an intimidate seems nice. It has decent health bulk as well. I feel like I'm having a hard time fitting it in. There are so many things a baton pass team needs: recovery, status heal, entry hazard removal, etc. The following build is the only one I've been able to come up with.

Masquerain
    w/Leftovers
    Impish nature
    252 hp/168 def/88 sp.def
    Ability: intimidate
    Moves:
    Baton pass
    Quiver dance
    Toxic
    Roost

Is there a better way to run it that I'm overlooking? Or perhaps I'm just stuck because I have no idea what to partner it with?
    Masquerain is unviable, even with Intimidate. It's 4x weak to Stealth Rock and doesn't have much to set itself apart from Venomoth, who does Quiver Dance passing better thanks to access to Sleep Powder to incapacitate an opponent, as well as Wonder Skin for a 50/50 chance to evade a status move:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Sleep Powder
    -Baton Pass
    -Substitute/Bug Buzz
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Focus Sash
    Ability: Wonder Skin/Tinted Lens

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back