• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MY NAMES... NOT... RIIIIIIIIICKK

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    People rarely mispronounce my name, because, well, it's honestly not that difficult to roll off your tongue. I go by Ashley, and some friends tend to shorten it simply to "Ash" every once in a while, and I don't mind that. Might sound a little masculine, but that doesn't really matter to me, haha. My name does get misspelled, though, and when it does happen, I get it corrected as soon as I possibly can.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    My name is just one big oops. Barely anyone can spell or say my first name right, nobody's ever heard of my middle name and my last name just gets a "whut"?
    I'll correct people when they get my first name wrong, hope they never ask about my middle name, and hope even more they don't make some weird remark about my last name (it's happened before and it was horrible). So yeah. I just go by nicknames most of the time. :I

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Never really been much of a problem... My whole name is incredibly common. First name, especially, would be super hard to get wrong. You really can't spell it or pronounce it any other way unless you're TRYING to do it wrong (or 'unique'), lol. Last name gets spelled wrong a lot but never really pronounced wrong. /shrug

My middle name gets the best crap, though. Rosemary.
    It came from two of my great-grandmothers and, after hearing that, the concept of compound words eludes people. It's always cut it in half to just, Rose. Guys no, it's one word, like the herb, lol.

Doesn't bother me much, though. I'm sure I've mispronounced/misspelled a few names. I'll just politely correct them, they apologize, and then it doesn't usually happen again. No biggie. c:

Years
    I'd probably just raise an eyebrow and not think too much more of it. Maybe even laugh about it, since I'm actually pretty lax about how I'm referred to as long as I know it's me.

I don't think I've had anybody who really knew me call me by the wrong name, but I've been called different names by people who I know have heard my name several times before, but still can't get it. I've gotten Rebecca (from several different people!), I've gotten Crystal....neither of which is anywhere near my actual name, lol. Okay, maybe the former does share the same amount of syllables and maybe some similar sounds, but that's about it.

I've just grown to shrug it off when it does happen, really.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
    Wow, thi thread makes me think of that one scene in night at the musem 2, where the guard's name is spelled "Brandon" and he pronounces it "Buh-run-don" LOL :)

I have this problem a lot too: My name is Cliona, pronounced Cleeeeeee-oh-na, but it's spelled like the Irish name which sounds like "Cleeeeeeee-na", so I get called that a lot, when I say my name most people think I say "Fiona" and I get called that, and the odd once or twice I've been called Clodagh. wut?

My common responses to that are usually "Oh well, I've been called worse" or "you can call me "hey, you" if you like once I know you're talking to me". :)

Years
    i seriously hate it when im called by the wrong name. my real name is ricardo, nickname is rick (ironic). whenever someone just meets me and i tell them my name as clearly as possible, they will still call me richard or rich the rest of the freaking day until i have to stop them and tell them that its not my damn name! (it usually takes 3 or 4 times telling them that), i dont think my name is unique enough to cause confusion so it seriously ticks me off.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I hate it when people call me by the wrong name. I have a twin, so people used to get us confused all of the time. Eventually they just gave up and just started calling us both by our last name, but seriously, call me by my twin's name a few times, and we're going to have a problem. It's not a big deal if you mess up occasionally, but when you mess it up 5 times in a row, you're pushing it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    A lot of people mistake my name for Britney when I tell them my name and I think it's quite annoying because literally almost always they follow up with a reference to Britney Spears :( Other than that it doesn't really happen that much.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    My name is fairly simple and ordinary yet I've been called everything but it from Nicky to Nicola to Nichol if you can believe it. My nana is the worst, she's constantly calling me Tina or Michelle; the names of her own daughters. I mean really is Nicole /that much/ of a hard name to remember. Jeez.

Years
    People say my name wrong all the time, since my name is so unique; no other person has the same name as me. And since my name is so hard to pronounce, I let them call me Jay. ^^

Years
    My first name has never been pronounced wrong, although people have spelt it with a 'C' rather than a 'K' instead >>;; But anyway, my last name is the one that gives people an issue. Instead of trying, and failing miserably, I'd rather people not say my entire name if that's the case. It's a rather popular Vietnamese last name, and basically 40% of the Vietnamese population has it, but for some odd reason, there's this ongoing debate within the community about how it's actually pronounced XD Within my family, there's the "White" version that my sister, and I use when speaking to others, and then there's the actual Vietnamese way that includes an accent of sorts.

Years
    My name's pretty simple, so most people get it right on the first try. On occasion, people will spell it with an 'e' at the end, but that's usually a rare occurrence. I don't really mind it, especially if it's someone I've never known personally, but if one my friends misspells my name, I'd probably get offended haha.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    My name is as simple as it gets: David. People call me Dave, Davey, or Davey wavey for the most part, the latter two being more offline nicknames than anything. Only my really close friends call me Davey and a couple people in particular call me Davey wavey, but those are terms of endearment as far as I'm concerned and don't think much of it at all. Nobody's ever referred to me by the "wrong" name.

Years
    I've seldom had this problem with my first name because it's pretty common, but my last name is another story. A lot of people like spelling it with an e at the end or as the second last letter. I've also gotten smart alecks spelling it without the last letter, as without that letter it's just a synonym for "butt". It's never been mispronounced, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2022
    In high school i was nicknamed "Rob" when it wasnt even my real first name. it got rather annoying rather fast, but it stuck with me until i graduated.

Manitee

bury me alive
    Years
    It annoys me when people call me Sam and they aren't close to me. Sam is what my friends call me. I love being called Mani but only my best friend can call me that. If ANYBODY spells Sammi with a Y they are dead to me. The most ridiculous spelling I ever got of my name so far is Sampher. How that even works I don't know. Funny how that girl got pregnant at 15. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't get offended when people mess it up and honestly I get so annoyed when people are horribly offended. Some names are just hard to pronounce or idk maybe i am just human and I forgot your name?

Sometimes people miss hear me when I say Mallory and resort to Valerie. also a lot of people miss pronounce my last name which is beyond me because it's exactly how it looks.

Back