• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Naming your Pokemon

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
  • ITT: Do you nickname your Pokemon?
    If so, how do you do it? Do you have a specific name you repeat?

I do it by a pool of names I think of beforehand (or just names that I use often for aliases, usernames, codenames, etc.). However, I recently ran out of names in this pool simply because I am just too awesome. So I decided to brainstorm some more names.

Though, the 10-character limit really made me mad when I realized I couldn't have Penthesileia.

Oh, oh, oh! I'll bold my favorites. The names before the break are the new ones I just put on the list. The names after the break are the ones I've already used.
    Spoiler:

The only ones I fully made up are Flaxheart, Galvanicus, Pentarus, Petro, Doppler, Marrow, Noseia, Serrah, Tolmekia, and Voltemaire. Otherwise, I steal them from a variety of sources, like Arthurian Legend, Greek Mythos, Germanic Mythos, etc.

I always assign names to Pokemon based on their qualities, however (e.g. My Tympole was named Kalliope because it's a Pokemon that uses sound-based attacks; Ironbreath is the name of the Onix I just caught because it really liked to use Dragonbreath on me). Noseia is the name of my Swoobat because it has a big nose -___- (it was originally Nosey, christened by my friend, but I realized it was a female so I renamed it). Tenacious is the name of a Venomoth that took me 40 Poke Balls to capture. Things like that.

Last edited:

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • It's only since resently that I started to use nickname the majority of my Pokémon, at least the ones I frequently use. But the names I pick are not nearly as well-thought out or eleborate as yours.
    I usually pick the names based on my Pokémon's personality or characteristics. Sometimes, the name just comes to me.

I'll put some of the names I used for my recent Black (as well as the team I'm using for a competition on dA, for they are my favourite Pokémon).

Kai is a the name I use exclusively for a female Crobat. Ever since I got one in Emerald, it's become my one of my favourite Pokémon. So, female Crobat will always be Kai for me.
    Veren is the name I used for my (female) Scolipede. It's a name that just came to me on the spot, but I think that it fits her very well.
    Ty is the name I use for my (male) Typhlosion. I realise it's not that original. But it suits my Ty's personality. x3
    Aurora is what I named my (shiny) Zebstrika.
    Helio for Unfezant. I used to sometimes name a Taillow Sora, but I think it's too "gentle" for Pidove and co. Helio(s) is the sun, so I think it fits well for a flying Pokémon.

Sometimes I just use names of existing characters since they have so much in common:
    Kanda - Serperior(m)
    Lavi - Gyarados (I specially caught a Magikarp with a jolly nature to name it like that. XD)
    Xerxes - Litwik and co. A character of a friend of mine has these radiant yellow eyes, just like the Litwik family. We discussed this once, and I ended naming my litwik like that.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I don't nickname them that often. However, if I'm capturing a pokémon for an in-game trade, or if the trader has really annoyed me, I'll nickname it. For example, I caught an extra Buizel, named it "Zel", then traded it for Norton's Chatot in Platinum. Although really, I should've waited until Route 213, caught a higher-levelled Buizel, and traded it for a Chatot that would then know Chatter.

If I do nickname them, it's often a lot more simple than the nicknames you guys give them...the most complex one I've used is calling a Charmander "Pyro".

Sigilyph

local psychopath
    Years
  • nicknaming pokemon is one of my favorite parts about the pokemon series. i feel like if i don't nickname my pokemon, it won't truly be mine and will be meaningless to me. i also have this weird fear that my game will delete them if i don't nickname them, for some reason. I'M NOT CRAZY. i've had that fear since the good old days of pokemon blue.

i started out naming my pokemon very stupid names, i named my charmander "Bob" at one point in time. then i went through the phase where i named all my pokemon after swear words because using swear words when you're 10 is the hip and cool and totally b.a. thing to do. i went through that phase until DP when i named them quality names. i named my turtwig "Toxic" after the britney spears song. wait that isn't a quality name. i still nickname my pokemon all the time. now i nickname them after superheroes, supervillians, powers, phobias, gods/people from mythology (greek, egyptian, norse, etc. etc.), books, singers, actors, songs, and fictional people.

i don't nickname all my pokemon, just pokemon i know i'll use and won't trade. ever.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • It's tradition that any Gligar/Gliscor of mine be named Batman. I name my Pokemon sometimes after traits that they have, sometimes after mythological gods, and sometimes I just give them names that sound good.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I choose from a pool of boy/girl names that I like. I try not to repeat names in my games, with one exception: The cat-like Pokemon on my team must be a female named Lisa, even if my trainer character is also named Lisa :P

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • I try to nickname every Pokemon I train/catch, but they usually get stuck with Transformer nicknames. My Bulbasaur has always been named Bruticus, my Cyndaquil has always been FireConvoy, my shiny Electivire is named Bumblebee, etc.

Yes, I is a dork. :P

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Some more names

Antioch
    Biletongue
    Chrysippus
    Etoile
    Exazeron
    Ezekiel
    Folkvangr
    Garvaine
    Halfdane
    Laurentz
    Maximus
    Rhompaea
    Riftwalker
    Siegfried
    Thordaine
    Thrym-Satr
    Voluspa
    Yttraeas

Nickmonster

I AmThe Best So Give It A Rest
    Years
  • I rarely nickname my Pokemon. One time I did do this I named them according to there type, and sometimes there original name. Example Starapdor would be Star.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • I almost never rename my Pokemon, but when I do, I usually nickname them after people I know from another forum. Weird, huh? xD

And occasionally, I would give the Pokemon some random nickname.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • More names --
    Mostly originals.

Alabast
    Alecto
    Antaeus
    Bonelash
    Dioxiphias
    Eteocles
    Ingvar
    Myrrh
    Ollerus
    Sylfiorre
    Syn'thrall
    Tainteye
    The Impure

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
  • I don't always nickname my Pokemon, but I when I do I prefer DOS EQUIS.

But seriously, I don't often nickname mine, if I am then probably something that stood out about my Pokemon that made me name it that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2013
    I've only recently started nicknaming my Pokemon. Usually I simply use the Japanese names. It's not very creative but it keeps my Pokemon unique.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I nickname all of my Pokemon no matter how much I love them or dislike them and the names do not determine on how much I love or dislike them. For the most part, I usually give my Pokemon their Japanese names or nicknames of those Japanese names. Few of the times, I would give my Pokemon a nickname based upon their appearances.

:t354:TG

ChainedTeapot

Let's Player
    Years
  • I normally name mines after friends, foreign names (japanese and french are normally quite good), name them something related to them or just something completely unrelated and random.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't usually nickname my Pokemon. In White I named my Emboar Breakfast though. :3

In FireRed I named my Persian after my cat and my Pidgeot after my mom's favorite bird when she was younger though.

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
  • When I played White I kind of made my pokemon's names symbolic. I named my Snivy Nuvema because it was the first town on my new journey into Unova. From then on I named all my pokemon after my favorite towns. Normally I just go with whatever pops up. But I always name my female togepi's Athena and I name my Flygons Sandgem and my Pikachu's Yellow. The rest of my pokemon just kinda get random names

Back