• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Naming your Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    hmmmmm... i have always nicknamed my pokes...

i usually use shortened or slightly altered latin names of what the poke is based on, but i also use pet names and names of mythical creatures.

i also will name pokes on spur of the moment impulses usually resulting in ridiculous naming antics. i also have a policy of sticking with a typo if it happens...

also being a sneaky bastid, i have a tendancy to name my competitive fighters other pokes names to infuriate my opponent... ah, how i loved my team all named MAGIKARP...

i do have set names, my evees tend to be called darwin if they are male and i tend to call shuppets shade and my litwicks whyk and i have always named my magnamites in binary so names like 011010110... stuff like that...

PixelTyranitar

Johto Region Game Expert
    Years
  • i name them based on the first letter or basic sound of the name to nickname them an american or european name EXAMPLE:Charmander=Charlie!

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Am I the only person who doesnt name their pokemon?

Nope I never name them unless I get bored with their names, their american name sucks, or I'm playing the Japanese version... As in my play on Black Japanese Version (Before it was out in US, I tried all 3, Not sure if exact because of Japanese character limit but its close to these...) I nicknamed my Snivy as Smugleaf as it should have been named...Tepig as BoarBQ I think as Boarbeque wouldn't fit, and Oshawott as Gayclown or something similar

Years
  • If I do nickname a pokemon, it's usually a lame basic name. Like now in my HG that I started over, I named my Cyndaquil Blaze, lol.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • I just edit the name slightly to make only the first letter for their name capitalized. Having the Pokemon's name in all caps is weird and I envision the Trainers screaming their Pokemon's name out loud, which isn't very intimidating, even if it's a Pokemon like Gyarados that is very intimidating.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • The names I give are random, no celebrity names and other junk. There are a few names I repeat and always give to my starters, and those are Rain (Totodile), Magenta (Crobat) and Dorian (Houndoom).

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    It depends on my mood. I only nickname them if I think of something right away when I first catch it. Otherwise I don't bother with it, unless they evolve and it no longer fits them.

But since I was 12 playing pokemon red, I ALWAYS name Spearow/Starly/what-ever-bird-happens-to-be-on-route1 Birdie, after my grandmother.
    Other common ones I use: Pikachu named Sparky, Mr. Mime named Ms Mime if it was a girl, Geodude named Rocky.....nothing too clever lol.

Asrossk

The Incompetent
    Years
  • I don't have a pool of names I pick from, but I pick a name that fits the Pokémon in my eyes. I always give every Pokémon a nickname. Some recent examples are Dr. Whoof, Mr. Roboto, Sir. Boris, Bolfar, Frank West and many more. I try to give them names nobody else would.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I like to nickname my Pokémon because it kind of adds that little personal touch to the games. Usually I nickname Pokémon quite randomly, they might be named after my dog, a character from book I like or something relating to their type/appearance. Just whatever I 'feel' sounds like its name at the time.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I usually only nickname the Pokemon I'm going to use in my squad...I like having themed teams. My team in Pokemon Black, for example, are all female and are named after Rozen Maidens. My team in HeartGold is Gurren Lagann themed (because you know having a Typhlosion called Kamina is pure awesome) and I've had a couple of other themes in past games.

I went through an odd compulsion for a few years of naming every Pikachu I obtained "Sparky" as well, but we'll not go there...

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • It really depends on the Pokemon for me...Their type, species, name and even gender play a role. Sometimes I name them after their manga counterparts (Explotaro the Typhlosion) or just shorten their full name to something cute or cool (Wiggly the Wigglytuff).

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years
  • I usually give them real people names. Like my Blaziken's name is PHIL, and Salamence is GUNTHER.

terminoob

Waffles.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Usually a name that corresponds to a type/move/appearance, though I tend to repeat names (female Ice types I'll name Crystal, or a variation of that, fighting Pokemon I name Tyson, pig Pokemon I name Spiderpig, sound-based Pokemon I name Bose...) Of course, if I can't think of anything, then I'll just give it some random name I like.

CaptainObvious

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    Restarted my Ruby and I just use irony and what amuses me. I sometimes name them after other stuff in tribute.

I named my Mudkip 'Scout' coz it's my fave class in TF2
    Graveller - Pyro because, well, it's funny calling a Rock type a fire-related name.
    I named my Absol 'Slim Shady' that's my default Dark type name though.
    Tropius - Tropo from book 6 of The 39 Clues

I'm naming the next serpentine Pokemon I see 'Malfoy' coz, well, duh.

StarkePkMn

Master of The Sky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2013
    I never ever ever ever in 13 years of Pokémon, named a Pokémon lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    my nicknames are always just funny things based off of the look of the pokemon.

For example, I named my Krookodile - Gator Golf

Who doesn't love and remember the commercials for that game!!! lol

Back