• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

National Dex

Sirfetch’d

One thing that we missed out on in Sun and Moon was a proper National Pokedex. Once you completed all 300 entries in Sun and Moon, that was it. Do you think we will get a proper completed dex this time around?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I hope so. I still question why there wasn't a Natioanl Dex in Sun and Moon...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Isn't the Bank supposed to act as or have a National Dex function now? If that's the case, they're likely not ever implementing that again in a game.

Years
  • While it would be awesome to see the National Dex come back, I'm unfortunately backing Nah's gut feeling that it will stay as a Pokemon Bank-only feature.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Mixed feelings (... this is a theme in some of my posts here, lmao) on National Dex. This is because while seeing savage Pokedex entries on all Pokemon would be nice, keep in mind that SM's regional dex was ridiculously easy to complete and as a result it became the simplest task ever to obtain the Shiny Charm. If the National Dex is brought back, I can only imagine getting the Shiny Charm would be more difficult for those who haven't already completed the National Dex before.

Which would make the item more precious and a more special prize to begin with.

Sirfetch’d

Which would make the item more precious and a more special prize to begin with.

I agree. While completing the Sun and Moon dex was easy and quite fun, getting the shiny charm almost felt too easy. Especially since getting shinies is so easy now lol.

jombii

Years
  • I agree. While completing the Sun and Moon dex was easy and quite fun, getting the shiny charm almost felt too easy. Especially since getting shinies is so easy now lol.

it's like easy squared (though I haven't found one yet lol). bringing the nat dex would make the shiny charm all the more want-able.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I hope so. I feel like the Shiny Charm was definitely a bit easy to get, and really didn't feel like a reward like it has in the past. Maybe there is some type of middle ground that can be met so it's not as hard to get if the National Dex was bought back, but not easy enough to obtain.

jombii

Years
  • I hope so. I feel like the Shiny Charm was definitely a bit easy to get, and really didn't feel like a reward like it has in the past. Maybe there is some type of middle ground that can be met so it's not as hard to get if the National Dex was bought back, but not easy enough to obtain.

expand the regional dex maybe? But I'm not too fond of expanding it since there is already a good amount (not many, but good) of species in there.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    expand the regional dex maybe? But I'm not too fond of expanding it since there is already a good amount (not many, but good) of species in there.

That's always a possibility. Though that would mean they have to include things like spidery, Zubat, and ecetera. I don't think many fans would appreciate that. Though if they expanded it by adding new saloons Pok?mon to the Pok?Dex, which might be highly unlikely, would be the ideal solution.

jombii

Years
  • That's always a possibility. Though that would mean they have to include things like spidery, Zubat, and ecetera. I don't think many fans would appreciate that. Though if they expanded it by adding new saloons Pok?mon to the Pok?Dex, which might be highly unlikely, would be the ideal solution.

I personally do not want that, more even for pre-League encounters.

Years
  • expand the regional dex maybe? But I'm not too fond of expanding it since there is already a good amount (not many, but good) of species in there.

According to Bulbapedia, the in-game distribution of obtainable Pokemon for Sun & Moon without trading or transfer is the shallowest in a single main series game to date. Sun & Moon have what is the lowest amount of non-event Pok?mon available in-game in regards to the percentage of the National Dex, at 47% or 384 out of 802.

A size of 384 Pokemon for the Alola Dex in Sun & Moon is still more than the 301 that Black 2 & White 2's updated Unova Dex had. But like B2/W2, it's been confirmed US/UM will have new previous-gen Pokemon added to the Alola Dex that weren't in the original one.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • At times I wish Pok?mon Sun and Moon would have National Dex in-game without need of getting Pok?bank just for accessibility reasons, so I hope Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will add the National Dex so this may give some gamers the itch to complete the game even more. Plus, it feels satisfying when seeing the National Dex fully completed in a single game.

Last edited:

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Isn't the Bank supposed to act as or have a National Dex function now? If that's the case, they're likely not ever implementing that again in a game.
    I feel like having it as a bank only feature is dumb. I'd much rather be able to view each individual game's progress rather than all of them collectively.

exactly. unless of course they make it so can be viewed offline and syncs + updates with the game.

pkmin3033

I realise catching them all is a pipe dream now mostly given how many there are, but not having them register in the game is just plain lazy. If they're really too lazy to write some new Pokedex entries they could just re-word existing ones - it's not like that hasn't happened before - or even cutpaste them. It's not THAT great of a task, surely. No excuse not to have National Pokedex in these games to be honest.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • In Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, it would be nice for there to be a National Pokédex, although admittedly, it makes much more sense for Pokémon Bank to have it... But it does seem odd to have a Pokémon appear in game without a Pokédex entry.. Funnily enough, when I used an Action Replay on Pokémon Sapphire way back in the day prior to the announcement about Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen, I forced wild Pokémon encounters to be things like Mew, Celebi, and Articuno (since those are unavailable in Pokémon Sapphire). If I recall correctly, when I caught them, they didn't trigger Pokédex entries and didn't show the National Pokédex numbers on their Summary Screens (although I think things like Articuno do show the number if you migrate them properly from Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen, and they have viewable Pokédex entries, too). Ah, I remember the first time I unlocked the National Pokédex in Pokémon Sapphire (as far as I can tell, it's triggered by trading a non-Hoenn Pokédex Pokémon from Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen); it blew my mind.. I think I thought that Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen magically updated my game with the National Pokédex Mode (as opposed to the National Pokédex already being coded into the game during production before the release to retail).

I guess it would depend on how long it takes to code things like the National Pokédex in Generation 7. Ideally, there would be a National Dex in-game and via Pokémon Bank.. However, it may get tiresome seeing the same old Pokédex entries (soon to be 802+) continue to get ported in future generations (and now even Alolan forms/regional-variants, some other forms, and Mega Evolutions are getting Pokédex entries!), so I can see why Game Freak would relent their efforts.. But yeah, an in-game National Dex would be nice (with Shiny Charm and a 2nd Diploma as the prizes), with regional Dex completion awarding something else and the 1st Diploma.

Back