• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Need help, I’m new.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2018
    So, I've been playing ROM hacks for awhile but recently I've decided I want to try and make my own, I was wondering if people of this community could tell me what tools I should use and such, I would like to do a FireRed hack, I was hoping someone can help me with what tools I need ect to get started. Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    G3T, G3HS, and AdvanceMap are the best for editing Pokémon and maps. You'll want XSE 1.1 if you want to get into scripting, which is almost a necessity if you do mapping.

Thoriére

[i]If everything's a dream, don't wake me.[/i]
    Years
  • So, I've been playing ROM hacks for awhile but recently I've decided I want to try and make my own, I was wondering if people of this community could tell me what tools I should use and such, I would like to do a FireRed hack, I was hoping someone can help me with what tools I need ect to get started. Thanks.

The reply above mine is good, but somewhat incomplete. Here's some extra information -- you're by no means required to read all of it, but it may help you.

I'll start by saying that a lot of people also use MrDollSteak's decapitalization/later-gen attack ROMbase, which is a patch you apply to a clean FireRed ROM before you start a hack to get rid of the caps lock in FireRed (so instead of the Prof. saying "My name is OAK.", he'd say "My name is Oak.") -- it also gives the hacker the ability to implement the Fairy type, Physical/Special split, and later-gen attacks and abilities, among other things. There are some bugs, but overall it's an excellent and very convenient tool. You'll have to get the ROMs yourself, obviously, but you can download the latest version of that patch by clicking this text here.

There are also some great patches by Diegoisawesome in this thread here, and I'd highly recommend playing around with his tool GBA Intro Manager, as it's very stable and has lots of really cool features. Be careful to read his threads in full before doing anything, and ALWAYS back up your ROMs.

Now, I'm assuming you already have Lunar IPS (LIPS) installed if you've played ROM hacks before, but if you don't, go search up a download link and you'll be fine. Since you asked about tools, however, I'll show you my Tools folder. One of the biggest rules I have for myself is to keep everything involved with my hacks as organized as possible, so I have a setup that looks something like this:

Spoiler:

It's fairly self-explanatory, but just in case, I'll say that "Bases and Patches" is a place to store .ips patches, whether they be for ROMbases or otherwise, "Packages" is for all resources in the form of .rar and .zip in case I need to reinstall something, "ROMs" is where I keep all my ROMs, "Scripts" is where I store scripts I've written, and "Tools" is my subdirectory for all the programs I use to hack.

Here's a list of all the tools I use:

Spoiler:

And, finally, here's an explanation of what they all are:

Spoiler:

AdvanceText gets an honorable mention here; even though it's not great for a serious or ground-up hack, I had a lot of fun with it when I was younger. It hands you all the text files in the game for your editing pleasure. Same goes for things like starter editors. Hacking doesn't always have to be about serious long-term projects, so go for it! AdvanceText is known to be buggy and not work well for people, though, and a few years ago I made a tutorial thread on how to fix one of those specific errors (it's located here if you're interested).

Pretty much all of them can be found with a simple internet search, installing them is just a bit of a time investment. Good luck.

Hope this helps. Feel free to quote this reply or leave me a VM if you have any other questions.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen May 5, 2023
    The reply above mine is good, but somewhat incomplete. Here's some extra information -- you're by no means required to read all of it, but it may help you.

I'll start by saying that a lot of people also use MrDollSteak's decapitalization/later-gen attack ROMbase, which is a patch you apply to a clean FireRed ROM before you start a hack to get rid of the caps lock in FireRed (so instead of the Prof. saying "My name is OAK.", he'd say "My name is Oak.") -- it also gives the hacker the ability to implement the Fairy type, Physical/Special split, and later-gen attacks and abilities, among other things. There are some bugs, but overall it's an excellent and very convenient tool. You'll have to get the ROMs yourself, obviously, but you can download the latest version of that patch by clicking this text here.

There are also some great patches by Diegoisawesome in this thread here, and I'd highly recommend playing around with his tool GBA Intro Manager, as it's very stable and has lots of really cool features. Be careful to read his threads in full before doing anything, and ALWAYS back up your ROMs.

Now, I'm assuming you already have Lunar IPS (LIPS) installed if you've played ROM hacks before, but if you don't, go search up a download link and you'll be fine. Since you asked about tools, however, I'll show you my Tools folder. One of the biggest rules I have for myself is to keep everything involved with my hacks as organized as possible, so I have a setup that looks something like this:

Spoiler:

It's fairly self-explanatory, but just in case, I'll say that "Bases and Patches" is a place to store .ips patches, whether they be for ROMbases or otherwise, "Packages" is for all resources in the form of .rar and .zip in case I need to reinstall something, "ROMs" is where I keep all my ROMs, "Scripts" is where I store scripts I've written, and "Tools" is my subdirectory for all the programs I use to hack.

Here's a list of all the tools I use:

Spoiler:

And, finally, here's an explanation of what they all are:

Spoiler:

AdvanceText gets an honorable mention here; even though it's not great for a serious or ground-up hack, I had a lot of fun with it when I was younger. It hands you all the text files in the game for your editing pleasure. Same goes for things like starter editors. Hacking doesn't always have to be about serious long-term projects, so go for it! AdvanceText is known to be buggy and not work well for people, though, and a few years ago I made a tutorial thread on how to fix one of those specific errors (it's located here if you're interested).

Pretty much all of them can be found with a simple internet search, installing them is just a bit of a time investment. Good luck.

Hope this helps. Feel free to quote this reply or leave me a VM if you have any other questions.
    I use A map 1.95 for mapping and inserting events and it's great. The only problem is that you can't hack world map with that otherwise it's awesome as it is the only map editor that supports 32 MB ROMs. And if I were you I would stay a thousand miles away from incomplete tools like MEH and AME.
    And Overworld Editor Rebirth edition is really old now. "Overworld Manager" is better than that.

Back