• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Neo Pokesho Fanclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    What's wrong with changing a formula? Sometimes a pre-emptive change actually revitalizes a series. Final Fantasy games always sold well, and they changed the battle system, in part, in response to how well Kingdom Hearts games were received. Then there are games like Resident Evil that completely changed how they work and had a strong come back.

I actually don't like Final Fantasy's stories, to be honest, I just admire the scale. And yeah, a spin-off would be acceptable. Games like Pokemon Stadium sold well. Even Pokemon snap was fun back in the day. But these kinds of spin-offs don't seem to be being made anymore.

Innovation is the engine of capitalism, according to Joseph Schumpeter, a famous political scientist and economist. According to Pokemon's sales figures, sales are statistically stagnant, with only minor up or down variation between the first game in the series and the newest game. In fact, in Japan, sales have been down. Platinum sold only 1.5 million copies, compared to the 5.5 million copies D/P sold. (Source: Nintendo and Famitisu).

This means Pokemon is either selling to the same fanbase over and over, or bringing in as many as they lose. If it is the former, they need innovation to satisfy the maturing desires of an aging fanbase, if it is the latter, they need innovation to keep the numbers steady. I think all of us here are the first option too.

That doesn't mean messing with the "formula" so to say. But it may mean new features are necessary, and new complexities may need added. At it's heart, Pokemon should always remain catch them all and beat them all, but that doesn't mean that other aspects of the game can't be changed. How many remakes will there be? How many times can we visit the same locations and catch the same Pokemon without getting bored?

But, ultimately, to each their own. I claim no divine authority, nor do I claim to represent any wider body. I represent only my own views.

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    Platinum selling worse than Diamond/Pearl doesn't surprise me. The "third version" has, historically, sold the least. Plus, there's the fact that sales of the original two games in each generation are often lumped together, so it's hard to say how well each game did on their own.
    However, Platnium has sold better than Crystal or Emerald did.
    Additionally, D/P did better than R/S did. Prior to that though, the series had been on a decline from G1 to G2 to G3. The fourth generation has done better than the third, but still nowhere near the numbers of the second.
    Call it a disinterest towards the franchise, or that the "fad" died... whatever the case may be, I've heard from many players of the DS Pokémon games that it has been the first entry in the series since the originals!
    New market or old... Pokémon is selling better than it has been.

Now, Pokémore's new pic is...
    [puts on a second pair of sunglasses]
    Pretty hot.

YEEAAAAHH

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Here are some exact sales figures. I'm just going to give you the main games in the series, not the spin-offs like Stadium, etc.

These are worldwide figures.

Red and Blue (Green): 20.08 million
    Yellow: 8.26 million
    Gold and Silver: 14.51 million
    Crystal: 3.75 million
    Ruby and Sapphire: 13 million
    Emerald: 6.32 million
    FireRed and LeafGreen: 11.86 million
    Diamond and Pearl: 14.77 million (Variable, found as high as 16 million, seen as low as 13 million)
    Platnium: 5 million (Variable, since its a newer release)

That is not an upward trend. I'm not sure what numbers you are using for your data, BPM. There is no statistically significant difference between D/P and G/S for instance.

I don't mean to be argumentative here, I'm just saying. The numbers are right there. It is not selling better than ever, it is selling, quite literally, the same as ever. Although the DS did help revive the series somewhat, it is arguably due to an improvement in graphics and mechanics.

The gaming market is growing. When R/B/Y were released in 1997, gaming was a niche market. Now almost everyone everywhere plays video games. So it is statistically important to note that while Pokemon has maintained its sales figures, it has actually shrunk in market share. In 1997, only about 10 million people were buying video game consoles, the Playstation being the best selling, in 2008 over 62 million bought the Wii alone! The DS and the Wii are the best selling systems right now, and yet Pokemon has not increased its market share. In 1997, R/B(G) sold nearly 9 million units worldwide, and the Gameboy sold nearly 10 million units worldwide. That means, assuming one game person system, that almost everyone who bought or owned a Gameboy also owned Pokemon. In 2008, the DS sold nearly 35 million units, and Pokemon D/P sold only around 13 million. That means the market share has dropped by nearly 2/3rds.

That's not my opinion, it's the math. You can interpert that as you please, of course.

Thank you for being able to discuss this with me, BPM, without being unpleasant :)

Years
    well, if nintendo does bring something new to the board (not just contests, or a variant of stadium) then it'll worth playing. if not, then they wouldn't be releasing it in the first place.

new e_log pic - excellent. its got a alot of depth to it.

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Good point, sky! I can't wait to see what it is. Despite all my criticisms of Pokemon, I'm still a Pokenerd at heart, and I do love the old formula. I just also enjoy the add ons too.

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    qa1, the numbers I pulled were from VGChartz, which are not 100% reliable, do cover global numbers.
    For another source, let's take a look at Wikipedia.

MAIN ENTIRES:
    Red, Blue, and Green (20.68 million)
    Gold and Silver (15.2 million)
    Ruby and Sapphire (13 million)
    Diamond and Pearl (16.81 million)

Going by these numbers, D/P even surpassed G/S in lifetime sales.

"THIRD" VERSION:
    Yellow (8.86 million)
    Crystal (3.85 million)
    Emerald (6.32 million)
    Platinum (6.39 million)

Again, the fourth gen passes both second and third (looks like Crystal was a "failure" compared to the other entries... still, many games dream of just making 1M in sales)

REMAKES:
    FireRed and LeafGreen (11.82 million)
    HeartGold and SoulSilver (3.74 million Japan-only)

Not sure what the breakdown on FR/LG is, but we'll see how HG/SS does once released outside of Japan (which is pretty soon, huh?).

While it may not be a massive upward trend, it does show that the Pokémon brand is as strong as ever. Would Nintendo want to sell more? Who wouldn't? But they're raking in the dough as it is. Most publishers wish they could have a game 1/4 as successful as Pokémon.

And, hey, it's fun to talk about other things when Pokémore isn't releasing new works. :P

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    I was using numbers from Famitisu and Nintendo. Our numbers are close enough that I believe both are as accurate as possible anyway.

You have to admit though, that once Pokemon was very popular, but now it is very much considered a bygone trend or a niche. If I wore a Pokemon shirt outside now, I wouldn't be as accepted as I would have in 1997.

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    You have to recall that when it first launched outside of Japan, you were over ten years younger. :P
    Plus, it was at the height of its popularity. It was a big-time fad. Pokémon was everywhere. Sure, everyone of what Pokémon is still exists (game, anime, TCG, toys), but it isn't the marketing blitz it once was. Everyone had to have Pokémon, even if they didn't quite understand what it was. It was the "cool" thing at the time. Given that it isn't a "fad" anymore, its sales are certainly impressive.

Wikipedia does use Nintendo's press releases for its figures, as everything on Wikipedia has to be sourced, otherwise it didn't happen. :p

Fushigisou

User not Found.
    Years
    No offense, but when I got my hands on D/P it felt great, but soon after it felt "slow". I liked the GBA series being face-paced in battle with little-amazing animations. Although the animations were awesome in D/P, pokemon for me is to be played at a fast pace, not meaning rushing through the story, but picking up items, battling, etc.

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Come on, you have to admit though, you miss the days of having an all Pokemon breakfast. You know what I mean--Pokemon Pop-Tarts, Pokemon cereal, Pokemon fruit drinks, Pokemon waffles... I know I do!

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    You damn right I do, man!

Fushigisou, you aren't the only one who felt D/P was a bit slow-paced. That's been the general reception of the games. However, Platinum pretty fixed that (especially in battle speed).

Fushigisou

User not Found.
    Years
    Come on, you have to admit though, you miss the days of having an all Pokemon breakfast. You know what I mean--Pokemon Pop-Tarts, Pokemon cereal, Pokemon fruit drinks, Pokemon waffles... I know I do!

Damm, that sounds good, ive never had any of those.

Did anyone see the reveal of the 5th generation pokemon? it kinda looks like weavile and buizel combined lol XD

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    There were also Pokemon fruit snacks. Those were my favorties!

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    Did anyone see the reveal of the 5th generation pokemon? it kinda looks like weavile and buizel combined lol XD
    Yes, I did. One of my friends said it looked like Sonic the Hedgehog. My first thought was that it was an evolution of Mightyena.
    Psst. It could be Flaremon. XD

Last edited:

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Hey, where can I see a picture of this thing?

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    It's... it's... it's....
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back