• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Neo Pokesho Fanclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fushigisou

User not Found.
    Years
    Pokemon Black and White, you've gotta love that name! XD Apparently, they promised a revamp and with the basic colours, i think it will be aimed at the old school guys.
    It might become Pokemon Black & Pokemon White AND Pokemon Grey OR Pokemon Brown! XDD

I like how there going simplistic with the names this time around. There's been debates about this game being "Racist" due to the versions such as Black.

Im waiting till Pokemon Sunday reveals more info on this game. We can look forward to the new girl gym leaders, ash going into a new region once again and... its just hype for me XD

Also something struck me while back when I was playing Final Fantasy 13 on my PS3. When I got used to the battle system, I was like, " Would be awesome using that battle system for pokemon". Then again it sounded cool at the time.

Last edited:

JJ'

Ice/Dark master
    Years
    Ara? Pokemon Black and White? Sounds good. Color names again and no more jewels... I start to feel kinda nostalgic, ya?

These are the things I hope for the upcoming games:

1. A Dark type gym.
    2. New Eevee evolutions.
    3. A kick ass water type starter (I hate Piplup!).
    4. New evolutions for old pokemons.
    5. A Fire/Ghost Pokemon (That would be awesome!).
    6. New pretty and sexy girls.
    7. New Soara's pics about those girls.
    8. Another Female Champion.
    9. No more new generations after the fifth one!!

Last edited:

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    (I hate Piplup!)
    Neo Pokesho Fanclub

You are no longer allowed in my treehouse.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    And I'm willing to bet it'll be a 3DS launch title (what better way to move handheld systems than a Pokémon title?), or have 3DS enhancements. I know the announcement is for later this year (and supposedly, the 3DS will also be released this fiscal year), but it still seems too soon for Gen5, especially how HG/SS were just released last year (Japan) / this year (rest of the world).

These games are purported for the DS but given what the 3DS is capable of, the 3DS enhancements will be even more profound if you play B/W on them. I do think the third complementary game will be 3DS exclusive (hope I'm right this time, seeing I was gratefully wrong with Platinum and HG/SS).

Actually, Nintendo and Game Freak are right on schedule with Generation V. Each Generation (with the exception of II) has run for four years. It's been four years since the arrival of Generation IV. This is the year for a new generation. It's almost the same pattern we're experiencing since with R/S/E and FR/LG.

Even with the smallest information or sneak peak about the new characters or Pokemon, the art for them will quickly be posted online.

Fushigisou

User not Found.
    Years
    New CoroCoro Scans were revealed. These are some of the new features:

Theres now a shop within the Pokemon Center
    3D is more enhanced (XD)

More on Serebii, the graphics do look alot similar to the diamond and Pearl series. We'll have to wait =P

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Aug 15, 2010
    We can hope for a new type like Light ?
    And i want another Female master of the League like Shirona. *___*

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    New CoroCoro Scans were revealed. These are some of the new features:

Theres now a shop within the Pokemon Center
    3D is more enhanced (XD)

More on Serebii, the graphics do look a lot similar to the diamond and Pearl series. We'll have to wait =P
    Well, ain't that convenient now that the Pokemon Center and the Pokemart have merged. There seems to be a few nice changes too.
    Full back sprites and actual shape shadows in the battle scene. There's possible traffic in the towns and we're back to using CRT monitors. XD

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Fushigisou said:
    More on Serebii, the graphics do look alot similar to the diamond and Pearl series. We'll have to wait =P

Seeing how D/P were "experiments" for the 3-D experience, B/W (and Generation V) seem to be fulfilling that experience. More like an "end result" to the "experiment".

I hope that's not all of what we see. I hope to see more before whether I want to go for it or actually retire from Pokemon. o.O

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    I like it, but it's old. Honestly, I haven't bought SS or HG yet, and I don't know if I'll buy B/W, mostly because it is just the same game over and over just a different location and different Pokemon. I don't want a radical change of formula, but an evolution would be nice.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Kurai Terios said:
    Am I seriously one of the few people that's satisfied with the Pokemon battle system as it is?

No, I am too. I get this feeling that I'll get a bit sad when if they do revamp what Pokemon used to be.

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    it is just the same game over and over

Sure, skin deep, it's the same. But, when you look deeper, it isn't. Just like the monsters within, Pokémon is a game of progressive evolution. Comparing Gen1 to Gen4, here's what was added over the years:
    -Dark and Steel types
    -Split of Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense
    -Genders for more than just the Nidoran lines.
    -Baby Pokémon, breeding, egg moves
    -Held Items
    -Natures
    -Abilities
    -Double Battles
    -Diving (granted, this was ignored in Gen4)
    -Contests, Pokéathlon, and other such side-activities
    -Complete change in the Physical/Special split

Even excluding the additions of attacks and monsters (including a greater mix of dual-types), a lot has changed over the years.

Gen5 will likely continue this trend. There will be more changes and balances in the battle system (say goodbye to the Gen4 metagame and archtypes) and more side stuff.

And the stories? They're fine as they are, just a small motivator as a means to an end. Pokémon doesn't need some grimdark, "EPUK" storyline about some great evil, world destruction, and salvation and such. Let Pokémon be Pokémon, and Final Fantasy be Final Fantasy.

qa1

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Sure, skin deep, it's the same. But, when you look deeper, it isn't. Just like the monsters within, Pokémon is a game of progressive evolution. Comparing Gen1 to Gen4, here's what was added over the years:
    -Dark and Steel types
    -Split of Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense
    -Genders for more than just the Nidoran lines.
    -Baby Pokémon, breeding, egg moves
    -Held Items
    -Natures
    -Abilities
    -Double Battles
    -Diving (granted, this was ignored in Gen4)
    -Contests, Pokéathlon, and other such side-activities
    -Complete change in the Physical/Special split

Even excluding the additions of attacks and monsters (including a greater mix of dual-types), a lot has changed over the years.

Gen5 will likely continue this trend. There will be more changes and balances in the battle system (say goodbye to the Gen4 metagame and archtypes) and more side stuff.

And the stories? They're fine as they are, just a small motivator as a means to an end. Pokémon doesn't need some grimdark, "EPUK" storyline about some great evil, world destruction, and salvation and such. Let Pokémon be Pokémon, and Final Fantasy be Final Fantasy.

How much of that CHANGES anything? Video games in general have evolved to be more complex as well. Graphics have improved, systems have become more powerful, controllers have mor buttons. But releasing Space Invaders on the PS3 and adding a few new controls, graphics, and formulaic functions doesn't change "shoot up, kill aliens" does it? This is the problem that many developers face, actually, as people are less tolerant of the same formula copy and pasted to new games. New generations require new innovations. Adding lots of accessories to a car doesn't change the performance of the car if you don't do something about the engine, it just weighs it down.

And, Pokemon has slowly been becoming darker as well. Think about the last few generations storylines. It went from Team Rocket trying to cause comic mischief to Team Galaxy literally trying to destroy the world. And let's not forget Team Magma and Team Aqua trying to literally sink the continents or raise the oceans. There are Pokemon gods, side dimensions, evil villians attempting genocide! And yet, because the formula hasn't changed to support these new additions, they became superfluous. In the end, it is still just "beat grunts, explore dungeon, get item, beat boss" and "start in small village, catch Pokemon, beat rival, level up, beat gym leaders, beat Elite Four". Who cares if you have to hold an item to do it now instead of using an item? Does it change what is on the other side of the equal sign? No.

If I participate in a beauty contest, I get a ribbon in my Pokemon's status viewer. But these things are mini-games that usually have no bearing on the main game other than to add some time to the game if I choose to participate.

I don't want Pokemon to be Final Fantasy. I want Pokemon to be Pokemon, but a new version of Pokemon. Not the same version with prettier graphics, slightly different (yet essentially similar) Pokemon, and the same linear progression through the storyline. They don't need to change any of the additions they added, or even the storylines themselves, its just the presentation and propulsion that need changed.

However, what it really comes down to is who will or won't buy the new games. If you like the repetative sureshot nature of the Pokemon formula, then by all means, please buy the game. But that doesn't mean I have to agree, or have to buy the game. This is the ultimate measure of a game's success. Not my opinion, which may or may not be shared by anyone but myself.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Well said, qa1. I would not like the Pokemon games turn into a Final Fantasy (though I mean a different definition of what the FF series are). But you know the formula has to change when you've been doing the same thing for four generations now (depending where you started).

BPM

No Pokédex entry found
    Years
    @qa1 (I apologize, I've forgotten what you prefer to be called):
    What do you suggest be changed about Pokémon, then? I provided my points as to why the game has changed, and your rebuttal is that the games are still the same and the changes are just superfluous. Certainly, yes, Pokémon follows a formula, but to claim it hasn't changed I something I simply do not agree with. You just say it's a formula, but don't say what needs to change.
    The games will be similar, of course. That's mostly how video game sequels work. Megaman, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Metroid, Metal Gear, Dragon Warrior/Quest... these are all long-standing franchises that, if you want to boil it down to the nitty-gritty, are exactly the same from the first game to the latest. Saying Pokémon Red/Blue is the same as Diamond/Pearl is the same as saying Metroid is the same as Metroid: Other M, Legend of Zelda is the same as Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, or Metal Gear is the same as Metal Gear Solid "5": Peace Walker. They share a lot of concepts in design and gameplay, sure, but have made many changes from each iteration in their series. That's how franchises are run. You want to keep things mostly the same to not scare away fans, but add enough new things to entice them to keep buying or to intrigue new buyers.

Certainly, there are changes I'd like to see made to Pokémon. Probably my biggest issue with it is HMs. Either the moves should be buffed so you WANT to keep them, or make them easy to forget, like any other move (but an HM could still be reused).

And for Space Invaders... Have you played Space Invaders Extreme on DS/PSP or Space Invaders Infinity Gene on the iDevices? Quite certainly a big mix-up on the classic formula, they both are.

@Kurai:
    I accept donations. Via PayPal. ;P

@Draco:
    I love Pokémore's Lyra comics. I don't know what he has for/against her, but the comics are funny based on just the images alone (maybe they're funnier if I could read Japanese...).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back