• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never Using Legendaries

shadowmoon

The Fresh Snow Trainer
Years
  • To me, using ledgendaries are the easy way out. For heart gold, my friend offered to let me borrow his arceus. I told him no because I wanted to challenge myself and using a lvl 100 arceus doesn't feel right. I guess I wanted to use the team that I've had since the beginning.

Most of the time, I would just catch them and place them into my pc

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I don't train them anymore since Diamond and my first Platinum. They're just trophies now since you can' use them in the Battle Frontier.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I agree with the 'Tropies' part - All my legendaries just sit in my PC, untouched.
    I prefer to use the team I've worked hard on myself - Feels like more of an achievement.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I catch Legendaries, but I never use them on a regular basis (with the exception of Ho-Oh on Gold and Kyogre on Sapphire). They're Pokemon too and if anyone wants to use one or maybe even two then that's fine with me, but a whole team of Legendaries just bore me.

That being said, Pokemon that aren't Legendaries, but are somewhat unique like the Starters, one-off encounters, etc are very interesting to me.

Nameless.

I really don't mind legendaries to be honest.
    I trained Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf up to level 100 in Platinum, and I had a lot of fun doing it. :x
    Yeah, they can be a shortcut, but you get them so late in the game that it kinda ruins the purpose of a shortcut. xD I mean, I can see your point but it's really not all that big of a deal. Legendaries aren't too hard to train, but you do need a bit of a boost -- like a Lucky Egg. Can ruin the purpose, but most Pokemon are hard to level after 50 anyway.. so it's a pretty typical thing.

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • I used to use them all of the time but then I stopped like in 2007. I forgot why I stopped but it seems like no fun to me anymore. It feels like I cheated or something.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • I don't train them anymore since Diamond and my first Platinum. They're just trophies now since you can' use them in the Battle Frontier.

I don't necessarily see them as 'trophies' per se, but yeah... when I think about how most of them are disallowed in Battle Frontier, it makes me rethink the 'fairness' of bringing them into a Gym Battle or an Elite Four battle (for the first time, subsequent visits I feel differently about).

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
  • I used to use legendaries in the previous gens (gens I, II and III) but now, i rely my strength on the pokemon i've raised since the beginning of the game. there might be a time where i use a legendary with my main team, but its usually just 1 that isnt part of a trio since trio legendaries are slightly weaker than the larger ones. The last ones i raised during this gen was just manaphy and mew, but both have more reasonable stats than others like groudon or giratina. I also used a darkrai as part of my platinum team, but i only used it to capture other legendaries since dark void almost never misses.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • when i was younger i used legendaries all the time. Now if i take them into the league, they are emergancy back-up over hm slaves. Instead of using 1 revive they should survive a hit and i can use 2. but thats generally on the first run (i really hate losing)

Years
  • I don't see a problem with using legends. I mean, I caught them. 80% of the legends are only available post-game so I don't see any harm considering I've already done everything(besides beating Red in GSC/HGSS).

Aquilas

To me your just xp!
    Years
  • I really hate Legendaries so much. Theyre cheap, theyre hard to level, the only time I use them is when im re-running the elite four to train up other pokemon and i whack in a legendary as back up in case it all goes very horribly wrong =)

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I don't use them. I catch them just for the purpose of having them. I did however use Latios on my last playthrough of Soul Silver but that's only becuase I needed a flier. I tend to rely on my starter and region bird to get me through the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    There are some cool legendaries like, but there is nothing quite like raising your little 'mon from an egg all the way to level 80 or something. You know rather than getting it at level 70?
    Articuno was boss tho!

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    My rule for myself is only one legendary on my team at a time. 99% of the time my team is legendary free; I've only used Mew, Suicune and Ho-oh.

FlamingThunder

Years
  • In Diamond, I collect Pokèmon in my PC. When I catch legendaries, I store them in my PC. :) My sister gave up her powerful strong Gengar, Lopunny and Raichu for Cresselia, Giratina and Palkia. I've never seen her using her Gengar, Lopunny and her Raichu ever again.........

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 12, 2013
    Nah, like almost everyone else in this thread I find it a bit of a cop out, I don't enjoy the game as much if I use legendaries. That said Zekrom seems pretty awesome so I may have to make an exception.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I don't use them myself and find it somewhat, well not cheating but, well as you say shortcutting.
    Mind you, I used Ho-Oh in the Pokéathlon today but that doesn't count right? :laugh:

Back