• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: New BB Code (Marquee)

Do you think a [marquee] would be a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
i had recently been promoted to Administrator of another site a few weeks ago, and was trying to figure out something neat to add, so I figured, NEW BB CODE!
So I made a [marquee] BBC tag, and thought PC would like it as well!

All ready to go into vBulletin's BB Code Manager!
Code:
<marquee direction={option}>{param}</marquee>

For non-computer savy members here that want to know what a marquee is, a marquee is a nice little feature to use when you want some text to scroll across the screen.

An example of how this tag could be used...
Example:
[marquee=right]THIS TEXT WILL COME FROM THE RIGHT OF THE SCREEN[/marquee]

ALSO
If the [marquee] tag gets added into the BB Code list, You could also give the users here a more definitive control over the marquee, since "direction" is not the only thing that can be controlled. (Others including the width of the marquee, the number of times it repeats, and the speed of the marquee)

An HTML version of that can be found below.

Code:
<marquee {option}>{param}</marquee>

An example of one of those being used can be found below as well.

Example:
[marquee=direction="right" behavior="slide" width="50%"]THIS TEXT WOULD SLIDE IN FROM THE RIGHT, AND STOP ON THE LEFT[/marquee]

This IS just a suggestion for a cool BB Code to be added to the BB Code list, so I thought I would bring it up! Have a nice day all.

Last edited:

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
Years
Are you serious? Are we back in the 90s?

Hell no.

Mine as well put a sign on it.

But,I think that the BB code we have works perfectly fine. So, I don't think we really new one. Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

Mine as well put a sign on it.

But,I think that the BB code we have works perfectly fine. So, I don't think we really new one. Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

Well of course we don't need it, but hey you know, it wouldn't really hurt anything.
It is like the sound clip's, we don't really need it, but it is fun, heheh.

I figured it could be used to have something run down the sides of someone's Hack thread, like a falling pokeball, it could make for interesting signatures too, as you could have a GIF of one of the players running across the area of your signature, you know?

but keep in mind I never said it was needed, and I agree, the BB Code list is great, just thought it would be fun, heheh.

ALSO
Granted there isn't a single reason to add it, I pretty much made it a copy/paste job for any Admin to do add, so I guess there would be no reason to NOT add it either.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Well we sure didn't need the music clip one but it's still fun. We sure don't need this but it's still fun as well :D

Maybe this would go as a fine addition...not to mention it could finally attract the attention of those idiots that post about game help in the CQF.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
If this was available, people would no doubt spam it in there sigs and it would get really annoying just to look at the page.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2016
[jq]
Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.[/jq]

I sense a new Spey on the horizon. It isn't a new BBCode per se, it's just an addition to the current BBCode.

Like the josephine quote.

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
If this was available, people would no doubt spam it in there sigs and it would get really annoying just to look at the page.

That's why there are wonderful things called rules, and even more wonderful thing called "Parsers". I believe the BB to HTML parsers can detect abuse of those tags like it censors out words.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

Yeah, it probably would be used in a lot of signatures.
Much like the CSS tag, and the Sound Clip tag.
It would certainly draw attention to a user though, like if they wanted to show off a thread of theirs, or advertise their forum. (Since that it only allowed in a signature.)

Myles

Seriously?
Years
That's why there are wonderful things called rules, and even more wonderful thing called "Parsers". I believe the BB to HTML parsers can detect abuse of those tags like it censors out words.

So what, have marquees banned from sigs altogether? Because anything constantly moving like that would be distracting when you're trying to read the posts.

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
So what, have marquees banned from sigs altogether? Because anything constantly moving like that would be distracting when you're trying to read the posts.

So are GIF images, so don't complain, you see those all the time and get used to them like a good internet habitant.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2013
Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

Wow, I've been looking through a few topics in this section and you always turn them down. =/

Personally, I think it'd be a pretty nice addition to the BBcode list.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
..But... Without a marquee, how will my sprite and text roll across the screen, annoying everyone who sees it?!

They see me rollin'
goronroll2.gif
They hatin'

See? Stationary! Only a minor annoyance!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

The Admins would have to add something like that to their server, from what I know about vB, nothing like that exists though...
Though it may entirely be possible!

Good thing there ARE signature rules already, like preventing a user from making their signature content "Float" out of the signature area, meaning, you can't use the "UP" direction in a signature.
Well... you could, but you would have to make a CSS Style box, since marquee loops within the HTML area it is written, and since the CSS-div tag just goes from BBC to HTML, the marquee would only loop within the CSS-div box.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
So are GIF images, so don't complain, you see those all the time and get used to them like a good internet habitant.

Believe me, I've seen a lot of GIFs and a lot of marquees in my day, and while GIFs have the potential to be more annoying than marquees, they are no where near as abused. A simple animation doesn't compare to a marquee. For a GIF to be more annoying it would have to repeatedly flash or move like a marquee in the animation, though marquee usage is a lot more common.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Believe me, I've seen a lot of GIFs and a lot of marquees in my day, and while GIFs have the potential to be more annoying than marquees, they are no where near as abused. A simple animation doesn't compare to a marquee. For a GIF to be more annoying it would have to repeatedly flash or move like a marquee in the animation, though marquee usage is a lot more common.

Well, if GIF's and Marquees bother you in Signatures, why don't you just turn signatures off?
I mean, since signatures are SO DISTRACTING, you can simply click "User CP" and then do to "Options", scroll down a little ways, and disable Signatures.
You can also disable Images, Avatars, and Smileys, amongst other various things.

Now please don't try to come up with OH SO TERRIBLE things about marquees, they are not that annoying.

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
Years
Wow, I've been looking through a few topics in this section and you always turn them down. =/

Personally, I think it'd be a pretty nice addition to the BBcode list.

Well personally and honestly. I turn them down for a reason. It's just the idea doesn't seem well that important.
You can say it's a good idea all you want but, hey we all have our own opinion. I don't say no for no reason. I say no because, I actually do have a reason.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
Are you kidding? Marquees are famous for being annoying, many a meme has resulted. The Wikipedia page for it has its first section dedicated to outlining the annoyances of marquees. Just search it on Google and everyone is complaining about it.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

Well personally and honestly. I turn them down for a reason. It's just the idea doesn't seem well that important.
You can say it's a good idea all you want but, hey we all have our own opinion. I don't say no for no reason. I say no because, I actually do have a reason.

Mind posting that reason?
I kinda want to know your opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back