• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New Feature: Farming Rocks

Years
  • A lot of people are rushing through the game trying to cover everything, but I've been hanging around Violet City (only have my Second Badge) and I noticed something.

Each time you use Rock Smash on a rock, there is a chance for three things:
    -Encounter a Pokemon
    -Nothing happens
    -Find an Item

I wasn't sure if it was specific rocks or not, so I continued to go in and out of the gatehouse to Ruins of Alph, and breaking the nearby 3 rocks. And I can confirm you always randomly get an item/encounter/nothing.

Edit: Seems like there are version exclusives so I'll list as much as I can based on the information found:
    =------------=
    Heart Gold:
    -Heart Scale
    -Red Shard
    -Green Shard
    -Yellow Shard
    -Old Amber
    -Max Revive

-Blue Shard
    -Helix Fossil

-Max Ether

Soul Silver:
    -Heart Scale
    -Red Shard
    -Green Shard
    -Yellow Shard
    -Old Amber
    -Max Revive

-Blue Shard
    -Dome Fossil
    -Max Ether
    =------------=

Anyone see something here? You can get incredible items from this. It also implies that you might be able to revive fossils somewhere. I think I've also gotten a Rare Candy from one before but I don't remember. The chances aren't even that hard to get an item, I mean out of those three rocks, the last time I broke them I got 2 items (1 Max Revive, 1 Yellow Shard) and a Geodude battle.

So now I'm looking forward to smashing every rock I find. I might update this post with newer items I get, and the amount I get, depending how much attention this gets.

-Krobelus

Edit 1: Just found a Blue Shard, another Old Amber and Yellow Shard, and not surprising, a Helix Fossil.

Edit 2: Just updated the list of items that you can find from the rocks, so far I haven't gotten anything other than what's listed.\

Edit 3: Updated the list again, this time including version exclusives. Note that my friend found a Max Ether, and I have yet to, so when/if I do I'll update accordingly. For all I know the Max Ether could very well be version exclusive, but I personally doubt it.

Last edited:

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • That's cool! I wonder if you get different items in each game? Like different fossils. I can't wait for my SS to come in the mail, it was shipped today! Oh and thanks for the info, I'll be sure to break each rock I find!

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • Woah, fossils?

Does this mean that the Cinnabar Island Lab/ Pewter Museum are/is back? :D

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • This might mean that the Pewter City Event (where you get the Old Amber) is either something else, or nothing there entirely.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • ...sounds like I'll be spending quite some time mining for cool things like the fossils, evolution stones (just an assumption based on the similarities between this new and the Sinnoh underground), and shards. :D

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Probably their excuse for the underground in HGSS XD

Nevertheless, it will more than likely come in useful for players to find such needed items for later purposes along the game. Even if the idea of "Rock Hunting" is to replace that of the Underground, it at leasts gives players hope for finding a wild Pokémon or item rather than simply smashing the rock to move on.

It's sounds more or less pretty nice.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Aha! I noticed there was some dialogue appearing suddenly when I used Rock Smash indicating I got myself an item, but I though that since I was just mashing A I found the item underneath it rather than in it. Nice find!

Would be interesting to see what else one can find...

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I think it's not really a -new- feature, persay, because I remember you could occasionally find items rock smashing in the original GSC... but don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm preeeetttyyyy sure... 8D;
    But the variety of items (and the chances of getting them) seems a lot higher now than back then. It does seem like it's meant to replace the Underground, too.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    You actually got some fossils after TWO badges? :O

That is one amazing feature~

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • You actually got some fossils after TWO badges? :O

That is one amazing feature~

Seeing as the Underground never limited the players on finding fossils, besides type, then smashing rocks and locating them earlier should be just about relevant. However, unlike the original GS, at least players can now obtains fossils nonetheless. Noting how Cinnabar island however is still closed off because of the erupted Volcano, then I suspect that it could be possible for revival of the fossils to be located in Pewter City's Museum or possibly even Silph Co., but we'll see as things progress.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Thank you. Someone that actually took some time sniffing around and found a gem. (or in this case, rocky fossils and items)

Beautiful find, Krobelus. o/ I'll enjoy smashing rocks now.

Years
  • I'm playing Heart Gold, and all I've been getting is Old Amber and Helix Fossil, so I'm assuming you get the Dome Fossil in Soul Silver. My friend is testing that out as I type.

But I have just over 11 hours of gameplay time and I just hit Goldenrod so.. I'm taking a break from mining for a bit. When I continue I'll update the first page.

In the meantime anyone else is free to contribute!
    -Krobelus

Isao

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2011
    This seems like a considerably more efficient than the Underground in terms of getting certain items. I'll definitely try it when my import comes in.

Back