• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Feature: Powerful Moves

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
  • I have complied a diagram to show all the stages of what seems to be the new super duper moves:

05a7bbfb8ee94d9f97dc029510ea5258.png

Hmm... that's interesting. It could also be the "secret" that the starters and Rockruff are supposed to have. I wonder if the island guardians have any connection to it too, because it's being widely speculated that the types will be Electric(Tapu Koko), Fire, Grass, and Water.

I'm also getting Xiaolin Showdown vibes from those poses; it reminds me of when the Xiaolin Warriors would do a corresponding pose before performing their elemental attacks.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'll agree that these are maybe not as interesting as Megas but they could end up being really fun and interesting to see in battle. I'm guessing not all Pokemon can learn these moves though? Since they specifically mention that the starters and Rockruff all have a secret, unless that's of course referring to something else.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    I'm actually quite interested with this mechanic and I hope that whatever has been said is better in action when the games come out. I wanted to see more to the battle system and like it or not, I feel that at least this one is a step forward.

Years
  • For me, I feel mixed about mega evolution being part of the storyline. As a whole, I don't have an issue with it, but Gen VI really beat the mechanic to death and back in regards to mega evolution lore and theory and what-have-you. :\ If anything, while I expect mega evolution to be relevant to the plot, it's probably going to be a loose mention of how it works to the player than going super deep into it like they did with Gen VI.

Given it appears that the super-powered moves and gems are the new mechanic, it appears more likely those will be part of the story's main focus so don't expect anything about Megas that are plot-central since 6th Gen was its main generation of focus.

Years
  • Francois is right, we still don't know much about this feature but as Caaethil dissected, it appears the protagonists are doing moves that are supposed to represent the types when they are activating the Pokemon's powered-up move.

The male protagonist was shown doing moves resembling a lightning bolt (Electric), blooming flower (Grass) and flowing tides (Water) while the female protagonist was doing a movement like a flame (Fire). After the protagonist does the movement, energy starts absorbing into the Pokemon (as shown with Rowlet in the trailer) and then we have a gem with the type symbol appearing, such as Grass (Rowlet), Fire (Litten) or Water (Popplio)

I think that we might have different-colored gems, one representing each type.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah it has already been cofirmed that there will be at least 2 different types. Because we saw a blue and red. Each type will probably have its own crystals. I still don't think it is a reason to remove Mega Evolution. I think the attack just gets more powerful as the pokemon grows.

And I strongly doubt they are running out of ideas, but I am going to assume the person who said this was a genwunner and always thinks they are running out of ideas. It is impossible to run out of ideas.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Yeah it has already been cofirmed that there will be at least 2 different types. Because we saw a blue and red. Each type will probably have its own crystals. I still don't think it is a reason to remove Mega Evolution. I think the attack just gets more powerful as the pokemon grows.

And I strongly doubt they are running out of ideas, but I am going to assume the person who said this was a genwunner and always thinks they are running out of ideas. It is impossible to run out of ideas.

I'm gunna agree on all points post crystal info. I don't have enough info to assume there is more than one outside of gender difference. Would be cool, but with the assumption that Rockruff is included, there are at least 5 typed crystals, and ruling out all 18 types would be kind of a waste. I would assume 1 crystal that maybe changes color depending on what Pokemon is out. Otherwise it seems like it be 5 crystals at any point in time and 1 Mega Stone which could get complicated and raises the question, do we need a hold stone for the Pokemon as well similar to Mega Stones to activate the super moves?

Mega Evolutions is a battle mechanic that is too large to take out. It's not the same as Inverse Battles, Triple Battles, Rotation Battles and Sky Battles where they can be sidelined for new battle formats. Mega Evolution can be altered, but they added way too many Pokemon and invested way too much into a mechanic to remove it. We already saw a Pokemon Amie like feature presented in the trailer and if anything, that would have been the thing to go since it's a more superfluous add in that would have had the same "special" feeling for Gen 6 as Walking Pokemon and the Pokethon was for HGSS.

As for "Running out of ideas" thing. We've heard this claim for over 10 years now. If they were running out of ideas they would have already. It was mildy entertaining if not still annoying during Diamond and Pearl, now it's flat out annoying and insufferable.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It is possible that there could be 6 crystals, which change? Not sure. 18 does seems like a lot. They could always combine certain types.

Grass, Bug and Fairy.
    Fire, Ground and Rock
    Water, Ice, and Flying
    Dragon, Dark, and Steel
    Psychic, Ghost and Poison
    Normal, Electric and Fighting.

That is just an idea and I doubt those would be the combinations.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I'll be really mad if they remove megas completely and I just don't see it. I could imagine them not adding any new megas, but I really hope they do add a few with each new game, new regions and remakes alike. It'd be a bit of a slap across the face to refuse us mega Flygon now after they said we nearly got one. :(

Years
  • I'll be really mad if they remove megas completely and I just don't see it. I could imagine them not adding any new megas, but I really hope they do add a few with each new game, new regions and remakes alike. It'd be a bit of a slap across the face to refuse us mega Flygon now after they said we nearly got one. :(

You know, I think maybe they just won't add any new Megas due to the Bond Gems focus rather than removing Megas entirely. Maybe I could see Mega Stones not being available until postgame if they want to push Megas aside so badly.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • You know, I think maybe they just won't add any new Megas due to the Bond Gems focus rather than removing Megas entirely. Maybe I could see Mega Stones not being available until postgame if they want to push Megas aside so badly.
    That was what I was saying, they might just not add any new ones. I would really dislike that though and sort of doubt we won't get any. I have a feeling we'll see more.

Years
  • That was what I was saying, they might just not add any new ones. I would really dislike that though and sort of doubt we won't get any. I have a feeling we'll see more.

While it would be nice to see new Megas, I am doubting we'll get any new ones because it's very likely full focus will be on the Soul Bond (Synchro?) mechanic due to the fact that Kukui studies Pokemon moves. It'd be a shame to not get new Megas because a Mega Flygon was planned for OR/AS but got left out due to artist's block, and I know people hope 7th Gen finally brings it out but now it feels unlikely due to Megas not getting much focus in Alola.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2019
    I wonder if they'll have 2 moves for each type so as to cater to physical and special pokemon or if they really will only be tied to a handful of pokemon.

From the trailer, those of us here who were speculating on super moves were correct to some extent. The only thing is, we still don't know what the gems do! They were curiously absent from the trailer. It's unlikely to have anything to do with ash greninja and almost certainly has nothing to do with rockruff. Here's a suggestion though.

There's no way they're removing megas. I have a theory that they could slightly change the mega mechanics though. Right now, every mega (except rayquaza) requires a specific mega stone. The more megas they create, the more mega stones there will be. However, they all essentially do the same thing and there really is no point in programming in 200 item slots for the same item.

The volcanion film trailer shows the evil scientist dude mega evolving multiple pokemon and we don't see mega stones even though in the anime they usually have very elaborate mega accesories on their pokemon. We also see megas in pokken tournament through synergy burst without using specific mega stones. Also Rayquaza doesn't require a stone. So megas without mega stones are already canon.

Back