• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New movement slots?

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I was thinking about one thing that has been said long time ago. I think they said that they wanted to add more move slots for 3rd Generation and, knowing what Ken Sugimori said about his desire to simplify the game, do you think that they will finally add them? If they do so, then the possible sets would reduce in number, so it would be a perfect simplification (not much prediction needed as before).

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I doubt it. This has been consistent since the dawn of the universe, and I don't see much of a reason to change it from the standard 4. This would probably also break competitive to some extent, and I'm not sure they want to do that :|

Years
  • Like Rainbow said, four moveslots has been a staple for the series and even though Sugimori once said they planned to expand the number of moveslots for 3rd Gen, it never happened and it would make competitive play complicated if it were to have happened now.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Like Rainbow said, four moveslots has been a staple for the series and even though Sugimori once said they planned to expand the number of moveslots for 3rd Gen, it never happened and it would make competitive play complicated if it were to have happened now.
    It wasn't Sugimori who mentioned the slots, it was someone else. Sugimori in the opening post refers to him saying he wants to return to the roots, or simplification.

I wouldn't mind a fifth move.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Sugimori is also the lead artists and designer. He doesn't do much program wise IIRC. He mostly does the final artwork or works with his crew to design the concept work of Pokemon. He could mention expanding the usable move pool, but that won't be much in terms of, "will they do it?".

As for adding more moves, that actually makes things more complicated, which would be the opposite of what they'd want. With a fifth move alone, the meta could fall on it's ear with new strategies, more coverage and more complicated fights in the future.

I don't see them moving away from the 4 moves ideal. It's fairly simple and well balanced right now. I can see them moving away from repeating moves like Flying Press, or those that generate random effects like Secret Power, Nature Power, Nature's Gift, or Fling. All of these have different effects, types or base powers which can complicate things for some young battlers.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    A lot of changes were thought up for gen 3, and a lot of them were discarded, for good reason. I doubt we'll see a fifth move slot added, and it has nothing to do with anyone's desire to simplify anything. Adding a fifth move slot would just unbalance the game. Even just one more move slot could add so much coverage or versatility to any one Pokémon that it wouldn't be balanced any more. Or rather, the game would have to be re-balanced around this addition. And it's quite pointless to go through the process of a complete re-balancing over something so unnecessary.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    simplification? well, thats not gonna happen without throwing game balance out the window. its to late in the game for that, the main series is at a point where dumbing it down is not gonna lead anywhere good. i can see doing something like making it so EV's & IVs can be manipulated dragon fable stat trainer style for a slight cost
    picture for those who have never played DF
    New movement slots?

but doing something like reverting back the the gen one stat system is not a good idea.
    it seems like Sugimori is starting to get a bit lazy now that he's a semi-centennial or he's just really underestimating the intelligence & adaptability of kids.
    anyway a 5th move is easy both a good and a bad thing. if they do make one i hope they limit it to non-damaging moves

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Something they could do is have a 5th move that is a signature move.. Something that is not delete-able and something that can only change when evolving/changing forms. This is what digimon does. The agumon line for example: Agumon(baby flame)-->Greymon(mega flame)-->Metalgreymon(Giga Destroyer)-->Wargreymon(Gaia Force). Most of the time in digimon these are the best moves early on, but later can learn similar and sometimes more powerfull versions of their signature moves so they can take it with them to other forms. Don't know how well this would work with pokémon. Something they could do is have the 5th move as a main stab move. Like all starters start with ember/water gun/vine whip. But we all know this isn't gonna happen.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Who says more moves have to be used in battle?

I really really hope that they implement separate field move slots as a solution to the HM/TM problem. Sure, they could put in a key item, but this series is about Pokemon. It makes more sense that Pokemon are the ones who do the majority of the work on your journey.

Not sure how likely this is though. But I do think that at the very least, it's unlikely they'll be revamping the amount of battle moves.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    No, if they wanted to do it, they'd do it long time ago. It's been working like it's now
    for many years, no need to change it. Also, since it's gonna be a 3DS game I suppose
    it's gonna be compatible with OR AS X/Y, 5 moves would break the compatibility.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It could go two ways.

Although there is no precedent for it, all other generations could be reworked to suit this five or move moves thing. This would be a terrible idea. Redoing all other generations would take years, not just months, to fully test and be happy with the metagames. I mean given that there's still XY suspect tests and we're heading into Gen VI that says a lot about how much would change.

The way this would most likely be handled is that competitive battling will take a million times longer to establish than it would if there were four moves still. As it is now, most people try out the most common sets and alter them to apply to the new metagame. With five moves? Can't really try out the most common sets, you don't have anything to fall back on. So instead of simplifying things it would complicate things. There will be new opponents to prepare for that you didn't consider before. That and there's no doubt to be more attacks available, to make Pokemon more competitive. Stuff in PU could suddenly move to NU with the possibility of new items, the chance of an extra move slot and pretty much guaranteed to be new attacks for it to learn.

It wouldn't be an easy transition into Gen VI, and honestly I think GF know that and would try their hardest to avoid it if possible. Four moves works well, and yes there's a lot of moves but competitive is all about making things work and trialing new things with the limitations you have.

So personally I think this would be a really bad idea that should be avoided at all costs. The amount of work involved if it happens is way too much to justify making the change just for in-game, when competitive is definitely on the rise.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    What if they gave us move sets? So, a Pokemon can know two (or three) sets of moves and can freely switch between them. So in a way, they can know 8 (or 12) moves, but can only have 4 set at a time.

The biggest bonus in this scenario would be if a Pokemon could use any HM move it knows outside of battle, even if it isn't currently slotted. So, I could have one water type Pokemon for all my water HMs and never have to worry about it again. Having something like this would solve almost all my problems with Pokemon in a practical sense.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I don't think they should add more move slots, but I hope we get to move away from HM's all together.

A water Pokemon should already know how to swim. I shouldn't have to teach it.

Years
  • What if they gave us move sets? So, a Pokemon can know two (or three) sets of moves and can freely switch between them. So in a way, they can know 8 (or 12) moves, but can only have 4 set at a time.

The biggest bonus in this scenario would be if a Pokemon could use any HM move it knows outside of battle, even if it isn't currently slotted. So, I could have one water type Pokemon for all my water HMs and never have to worry about it again. Having something like this would solve almost all my problems with Pokemon in a practical sense.

That would be amazing! As long as they couldn't change move sets in the middle of a battle.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • The only issue I see with field moves become natural abilities like Water Pokemon knowing how to Surf automatically is the consistency of the idea. A Pokemon should then know how to Tackle, Sing, Yawn, Pound, etc. There could be ways around it such as using certain items to use those abilities like a Saddle activating Fly, a Sail for Surf, etc. Other ones like Cut and Flash could be replaced with tools like an Axe and Lantern.

Back