• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New Sprite Thread

Falcon Wing

PokeMafia Member "Weavile"
Years
  • When I saw Gyarados' new sprite I was like "Finally!" All of the other Gyarados' looked like they were floating in mid air. I really feel like they should do this with the rest of the floating Pokemon like Milotic.

Also their is other Pokemon I would like to see redone to make more sense. You?

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I can't imagine this thread being all that useful until the new sprites are revealed / the games are released.

pallet town

From the town of Pallet!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2010
    Here is the sprite in question, I just took a screenshot of the youtube video (thanks Powerfreak09)
    New Sprite Thread

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    I dislike it for the same reason you like it; no Gyarados has ever (from my memory, anyways) been realistically-sitting. We gotta remember that we assume they're in water, else the fishes would all be sitting on their side.

Besides, RSE milotic is what it reminds me of, and that ain't a good thing at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2010
    I think nintendo should adjust sprites to fit the area of battle.
    Land: have this gyarados sprite
    Sea/water: have it look like part of it is underwater

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I think it looks like it's been snapped in half and stuck back together.

The bend from the upright part of the body to the curled up sitting part doesn't look quite right.

Years
  • I think it looks like it's been snapped in half and stuck back together.

The bend from the upright part of the body to the curled up sitting part doesn't look quite right.

That sprite might not necessarily be the final one used. Munchlax's and Weavile's respective sprite designs were changed in the time between pre-release pictures and the game's release.

Falcon Wing

Years
  • I think nintendo should adjust sprites to fit the area of battle.
    Land: have this gyarados sprite
    Sea/water: have it look like part of it is underwater

That is a good idea but if they do that they would have to do it for Fish like Pokemon, unless they have sort of a rule where Fish Pokemon can't be used on land, like in a battle when you have the Fish like Pokemon in the front it would automatically go to the next Pokemon. But their is always problems with an idea like this.

As for the Gyarados sprite, its just an upgrade from the usual. Maybe their trying to get that realistic feel from their sprites now.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I don't like it all that much. What the heck is it sitting on?
    Same with the other Sprites.
    They look too cartoony, if that's a word.

Like the Chiorita one? I don't care for it at all.

Falcon Wing

Years
  • I don't like it all that much. What the heck is it sitting on?
    Same with the other Sprites.
    They look too cartoony, if that's a word.

Like the Chiorita one? I don't care for it at all.

So I guess you would rather a floating Gyarados? This just makes more sense, face it.

Also if Pokemon didn't look Cartoony they would look like...well, Animals.

Mingo

Event hunter!
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2013
    i like the new gyarados but i think the d/p sprite for it looks better though....

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    So I guess you would rather a floating Gyarados? This just makes more sense, face it.

Also if Pokemon didn't look Cartoony they would look like...well, Animals.

Well, How about Gyarados being in the water at least? and not resting on top of it. That doesn't make sense to me.
    But I guess if you think of it, Pokemon doesnt have to make sense.

As for the Cartoony thing, I just mean that The Previous sprites looked better.

EDIT: I tried post the images here from Bulbapedia, but it didnt work :|

Back