• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
You said Fire is strong against water because Water puts out fire. XD

Asian myths Dragons were gods and seen as creatures to respect and held considerable power and influence. Fairies were demonic in Asian myths and cause the humans to riot against the dragons by spinning tales of misdeeds to try and kill the dragons. The Fairies could not do anything to the dragons but Humans could kill dragons. Still goes along with Fairies were weaklings and them being strong against Dragons making no sense.

That has nothing to do with mentality. Doesn't matter how mentally stable you are, unless you get medication for a Snake bite you will not survive it. Psychic vs Poison is one of those types that makes no sense. Mental power will not stop poison from spreading through your body and killing you. Your immune system may allow you to last longer than another person and depending on how strong your body may be, but how mentally stable you are or how strong your mind is plays no part in whether you survive being poisoned. There are a lot of poisons that actually break concentration, they aren't meant to kill, but to confuse and cause delirium. By this Poison should be strong against Psychic types because they can naturally mess with the Psychic types main power supply, their minds.

You can break a bird's wing with plastic or even a really powerful gust of wind blasting against them. Flying and other types still are not Super Effective against Flying despite this. You can hit a bird hard with Water and prevent them from flying, bugs too, but Water isn't Super Effective against either.

I didn't see that I wrote why fire is good against water, haha sorry. xD I will still go with the Asian theory about the faries because I'm 100% sure I read that and like i said before, I've been watching too much Animal Planet. XD

Years
I am excited about the new pokemon x and y in general and in the changes in specific. yes it is sad that dragon type pokemon gained a weakness, I liked it when I suffered in beating anyone with a dragon pokemon, and now they added another weakness, which will make things easier, and I think pokemon games should be much harder, and tougher to finish :D.

on the other hand, I always use fire type pokemon so dragon type are still scary for me and its like nothing changed ^__^ but I am happy to see a new eevee evolution.

I don't mind the type being called fairy so don't worry about not calling it light, who knows maybe one day they will add a light separately ;p

all I am worried about is if I can transfer my charmander early in the game, or have to wait until the end of the game, then transfer it and transfer charmander to the other version of the game and start all over :D

I hope 12th of October is the release date for everyone, not just Japan and US >,< (envy you guys hehe)

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
I don't care what it's called, or if it makes sense. I just hope some of its pokemon get the stats and movepools to actually pose a threat to dragons.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
What's so sad about the Dragon type getting a new weakness? :P

It is sad, because now dragons will be more vulnerable in battles, and also old Pokémon like Marill have now become good against dragons, it's making it hard for dragon types especially since they're hard to train.

WishCookie

Years
It is sad, because now dragons will be more vulnerable in battles, and also old Pokémon like Marill have now become good against dragons, it's making it hard for dragon types especially since they're hard to train.

Well think of other types with 4-5 weaknesses? Dragons were only weak against Ice types and it was weak against itself? So it only had two weaknesses and you would get an Ice type pokemon or Ice moves pretty late in the games. You would rarely fight other trainers who have a dragon type Pokemon which would make it easier for you to train it. You would never fight its weakness during the early and middle stage of the games and that would make your dragon type pokemon already powerful enough to take out other NPCs Dragon/Ice types during the late game. Also, Dragon type gymleaders would be very hard to defeat aswell since you almost never get a chance to get a Dragon/Ice type unless you don't trade a dragon type or ice type with your friend.

I think its more then right for dragons to have a third weakness and I dont think you should judge a Pokemon that will be able to defeat a Dragon type after its size or design. If you also think about it: How can a Marill defeat an Onix? Because right now like I said before, Dragons are dominating and they still will dominate even if they got a third weakness.

Last edited:

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022

lol dragons will still be very powerful, they will simply not be completely overpowered. And that is assuming that there will be some good Fairy type Pokémon, or you think that a Marill will be a match for a mighty dragon?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well think of other types with 4-5 weaknesses? Dragons were only weak against Ice types and it was weak against itself? So it only had two weaknesses and you would get an Ice type pokemon or Ice moves pretty late in the games and you would rarely fight other trainers who have a dragon type Pokemon which would make it easier for you to train it since it almost never fought Its weakness during the early and middle stage of the games.

I think its more then right for dragons to have a third weakness and I dont think you should judge a Pokemon that will be able to defeat a Dragon type after its size or design. If you also think about it: How can a Marill defeat an Onix? Because right now like I said before, Dragons are dominating.

Well, that's a good fact, but consider this : Dragons also come only late in the game, and most of them are dual typed, like Dragonite who crums in a Rock type and double score with Ice. I also meant that usually a Dragon type is used as a sweep through the other team, and Marill was only an example, since Azumarill was already a dragon buster with compatibility to Ice Beam. I meant that older Pokémon which you would think - "Oh, this guy I don't have to worry about since he's not gonna do much against me" will turn into "No! This is a Fairy type! Switch out, switch out!" Also keep in mind that Dragon still keeps a blimmin ONE ADVANTAGE and that also against itself so that defeats the purpose since you would have to be careful against them anyway.
Also note that Fairy-type moves will not necessarily be learnt by only fairies. Other Pokémon may learn them giving another type disarray.

lol dragons will still be very powerful, they will simply not be completely overpowered. And that is assuming that there will be some good Fairy type Pokémon, or you think that a Marill will be a match for a mighty dragon?

I never said that they will be completely overpowered xD. I just said they will be more vulnerable, nothing like they become babies or anything lol. But yeah take that word, Marill is only a second evo Azumarill can pummel the pulp out of Pokémon lol

WishCookie

Years
Well, that's a good fact, but consider this : Dragons also come only late in the game, and most of them are dual typed, like Dragonite who crums in a Rock type and double score with Ice. I also meant that usually a Dragon type is used as a sweep through the other team, and Marill was only an example, since Azumarill was already a dragon buster with compatibility to Ice Beam. I meant that older Pokémon which you would think - "Oh, this guy I don't have to worry about since he's not gonna do much against me" will turn into "No! This is a Fairy type! Switch out, switch out!" Also keep in mind that Dragon still keeps a blimmin ONE ADVANTAGE and that also against itself so that defeats the purpose since you would have to be careful against them anyway.
Also note that Fairy-type moves will not necessarily be learnt by only fairies. Other Pokémon may learn them giving another type disarray.

I don't really care if an old Pokemon turns into a type which can take out a dragon and even if other Pokemon which isn't a fairy type can learn fairy type moves, Dragons will still dominate. I think its good that they made it a bit easier to take out Dragon types since they already and still will wipe a whole team.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I don't really care if an old Pokemon turns into a type which can kill a dragon and even if other Pokemon which isn't a fairy type can learn fairy type moves, Dragons will still dominate.

Lol, that's the whole point isn't it? Don't judge a book by it's cover, if you feel that Dragons will dominate, we better check out the gameplay.

tbh lets move away from the discussion of Dragon vs Fairy. Approximately how many new Fairy types are you guys expecting? I'd say including old fairy conversions about a twenty to thirty. I hope there's a lot!

WishCookie

Years
Lol, that's the whole point isn't it? Don't judge a book by it's cover, if you feel that Dragons will dominate, we better check out the gameplay.

tbh lets move away from the discussion of Dragon vs Fairy. Approximately how many new Fairy types are you guys expecting? I'd say including old fairy conversions about a twenty to thirty. I hope there's a lot!

Sure we can move away from this discussion but I only wanted to add: Yes I know its the whole point of the dragon type to wipe a whole team but they were ridiculously strong from gen 1-5 with only two weaknesses which were hard to get during the early/middle stages of the games. So therefore I think its good that they add a new type which is effective against dragons and I'm not judging a book by its cover since I've fought every dragon-type. :P

OnT: Since there is a new type involved I think they will add more than 150 Pokemon this time :P

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Sure we can move away from this discussion but I only wanted to add: Yes I know its the whole point of the dragon type to wipe a whole team but they were ridiculously strong from gen 1-5 with only two weaknesses which were hard to get during the early/middle stages of the games. So therefore I think its good that they add a new type which is effective against dragons and I'm not judging a book by its cover since I've fought every dragon-type. :P

OnT: Since there is a new type involved I think they will add more than 150 Pokemon this time :P

Ehh I meant how many new Fairy types, not total Pokémon, but yes it's sure that they will add at least 180 Pokémon! Also, I wonder what else are the capabilities of Fairy types, possibly good against Ghost or Dark?

WishCookie

Years
Ehh I meant how many new Fairy types, not total Pokémon, but yes it's sure that they will add at least 180 Pokémon! Also, I wonder what else are the capabilities of Fairy types, possibly good against Ghost or Dark?

I know that you asked how many Fairy types we think there will be but I answered it as many enough to make GameFreak to create more than 150 Pokemon right now since I cant think of any number of new Fairy types. It's already been confirmed that Fairy types will be effective against Dragon types, Fire types and it will be weak against Poison types and Steel types but I think that they may be good against Ghost types since fairies have the ability to repel supernatural powers and they may also be weak against Fighting types since Fighting can overpower a Fairy physically.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I know that you asked how many Fairy types we think there will be but I answered it as many enough to make GameFreak to create more than 150 Pokemon right now since I cant think of any number of new Fairy types. It's already been confirmed that Fairy types will be effective against Dragon types, Fire types and it will be weak against Poison types and Steel types but I think that they may be good against Ghost types since fairies have the ability to repel supernatural powers and they may also be weak against Fighting types since Fighting can overpower a Fairy physically.

Where are you getting all your information?

The only type relation that has been confirmed for Fairy is that Fairy is Super Effective against Dragon Types. Nothing about Fire or Steel has been posted on any website that can be claimed as a source, and we only have two credible rumored relations, Fairy is weak to Poison and Fairy is strong against Ice.

WishCookie

Years
Where are you getting all your information?

The only type relation that has been confirmed for Fairy is that Fairy is Super Effective against Dragon Types. Nothing about Fire or Steel has been posted on any website that can be claimed as a source, and we only have two credible rumored relations, Fairy is weak to Poison and Fairy is strong against Ice.

I'm not lying tho. I know that it was Corocoro related and I remember that i read it for sure, 100% sure. I really dont know where I read it tho. =S

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm not lying tho. I know that it was Corocoro related and I remember that i read it for sure, 100% sure. I really dont know where I read it tho. =S

The only thing that appeared in CoroCoro was what was shown in the E3 conference and was repeated on Pokemon Smash. No other info was given. There was nothing about Fire or Steel types, and no confirmation about Poison or Ice.

WishCookie

Years
The only thing that appeared in CoroCoro was what was shown in the E3 conference and was repeated on Pokemon Smash. No other info was given. There was nothing about Fire or Steel types, and no confirmation about Poison or Ice.

Then I'm going mad because I'm 100% sure I read it. =S

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That part about Steel and Fire was in the rumors, and consideiring the time leading up to the release it's not hard to see how people can get confused with fact and iffy stuff at best when the iffy stuff is talked about as if it's true.

Now I hope that Ice is resistant to Fairy to give it a resistance other than Ice...

Back