• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
That part about Steel and Fire was in the rumors, and consideiring the time leading up to the release it's not hard to see how people can get confused with fact and iffy stuff at best when the iffy stuff is talked about as if it's true.

Now I hope that Ice is resistant to Fairy to give it a resistance other than Ice...

According to Smash Ice is weak to Fairy. We'll see later on, but Smash gets the info from Gamefreak so they have a lot of credibility as far as these type of things can go. They also contradict every rumor made about Fairy type made so far.

Steel was never part of the rumor as far as I remember seeing. I think I was one of the first people to mention it back before everyone else started dropping the other fairy version other than tinkerbell. Fire I know was rumored and so was Dark but we recently disproved that rumor.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I remember mentioning Steel early on too, but I'm pretty sure there was another fake rumor that had it...
I certainly hope not, Ice has enough weaknesses >_<

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Ice, hmm. Really? Well I don't think Ice needs an another weakness. :/ Which means that it will be more fun to raise an Ice type Pokemon if you think about it. :P

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Sure we can move away from this discussion but I only wanted to add: Yes I know its the whole point of the dragon type to wipe a whole team but they were ridiculously strong from gen 1-5 with only two weaknesses which were hard to get during the early/middle stages of the games. So therefore I think its good that they add a new type which is effective against dragons and I'm not judging a book by its cover since I've fought every dragon-type. :P

Well, dragons aren't really fought until after the middle stages of the game anyway, so I don't really see them as being OP, it's only fair to get the uber strong guys closer to the end of the game. Plus, consider how pathetic Dratini is in his first two stages, do you really want to laboriously train him up 50-something levels because you got him at a really early stage. No thank you :P

OnT: Since there is a new type involved I think they will add more than 150 Pokemon this time :P
I think 150 tops and that's really being hopeful on the amount they add, but maybe they'll surprise us :) I agree with someone further up who said something about how all fairies so far are cutesy-wutesy. I really hope fairy type isn't just a rebrand of cute pokemon. I'm disgusted with Flabébé - it's a terrible design and just backs up the "all fairies are delicate little wisps of things" opinion that I, as well as many other members of the Community so far seem to have :(

WishCookie

Years
Well, dragons aren't really fought until after the middle stages of the game anyway, so I don't really see them as being OP, it's only fair to get the uber strong guys closer to the end of the game. Plus, consider how pathetic Dratini is in his first two stages, do you really want to laboriously train him up 50-something levels because you got him at a really early stage. No thank you :P

Well that's what I'm saying? You're not fighting your weakness after the middle stage which gives you more time to train it which will make it OP during the late stage. Didn't you read? :P

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
Personally, I think Fairy types should be resistant to the Ground type, seeing that fairies... well... fly. Not necessarily immune because that would overdo it considering the Flying type, but resistance would make sense. I would also like to see a Fairy-Dragon type Pokemon simply because it would look cool :P

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Personally, I think Fairy types should be resistant to the Ground type, seeing that fairies... well... fly. Not necessarily immune because that would overdo it considering the Flying type, but resistance would make sense. I would also like to see a Fairy-Dragon type Pokemon simply because it would look cool :P

Fairies didn't fly until Disneybutchered them into being cute. Original Fairies were humanoids without wings. Think of a borrower. The only ones that flew were the ones who tamed birds and insects.

Years
Electric doesn't need another weakness, it's fine the way it is. Ground types, and any good Physical attacker that can learn Earthquake can decimate most Electric types. Most are too frail to last long in battle anyways.

I think Fairy should be super-effective against Dragon like it is now, be weak to Dark type moves, and have no immunities. The reason for this is that, from the current listing of Fairy types, they don't look to have high or abusive Base Stats, like most Dragons do. They don't look like they'll be taking too many hits, so I don't think we should fret too much about Dragons being doomed. A quick Outrage (with Choice Band, 252 EV Atk, 31 IV Atk) should do quick work with a Clefable, Wigglytuff and perhaps Blissey (I'd love if Blissey was Fairy type btw =D). If they make Fairy resist Dragon, then ... Dragons are doomed. Fairy weak to Poison doesn't make too much logical sense (if someone can explain it to me, I welcome your viewpoint) but would be good for balancing reasons.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I still think Ice should be resistant against Ice, as it'll help balance something out much how Fighting which is said to have been underused in gen 1 (I've never played during gen 1) benefitted from becoming super effective against both the Gen 2 new types (Dark and Steel). So if Ice were to be both strong against fairy, as well as resistant against it it'll help at least a little ^_^. Also that way I can dub the Ice type the "Mythic Type Killer".

WishCookie

Years
Fairy weak to Poison doesn't make too much logical sense (if someone can explain it to me, I welcome your viewpoint) but would be good for balancing reasons.

Uhm, it doesn't always have to be a logical sense for weaknesses and effectiveness in Pokemon. I made that mistake three days ago. xD

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Like many other people, I'm glad that a new type has been introduced for an equal 18-type chart. If Gamefreak does it right, it should be able to bring balance to the type chart, so we'll finally be at peace. The fact that it's effective against dragon is already a good sign.

Other than that, though, I don't quite like the Fairy type. I mean, honestly, FAIRY? Not only would Light have made more sense, but it would simply be less... girly than this. On that note, I do understand Gamefreak's logic. I believe the Fairy type could easily have been something else, but its name and its general feel, as well as the Pokemon it is allotted to, is geared towards girls. In addition to checking such threats like Dragon and probably giving Poison a bit of an edge, the Fairy type was most likely implemented in order to attract a new generation of little girls to the Pokemon games.

Think about it. Gamefreak no longer cares for what the fans want, all they want is to attract more money, which they will mainly get by attracting the new generation of little children. Problemo is, little girls nowadays are far more interested in things other than video games, so the money coming in was reduced from the amount it could have been. Gamefreak introduced the Fairy type as a way of getting girls buying again. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak introduced even more aspects to the game that would be geared towards girls.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Like many other people, I'm glad that a new type has been introduced for an equal 18-type chart. If Gamefreak does it right, it should be able to bring balance to the type chart, so we'll finally be at peace. The fact that it's effective against dragon is already a good sign.

Meh, I'm not to excited about that. Didn't need any new weaknesses. Gamefreak could have spread out the resistances more and it would have worked out as well. Just gives me one more thing to obliterate.

Other than that, though, I don't quite like the Fairy type. I mean, honestly, FAIRY? Not only would Light have made more sense, but it would simply be less... girly than this. On that note, I do understand Gamefreak's logic. I believe the Fairy type could easily have been something else, but its name and its general feel, as well as the Pokemon it is allotted to, is geared towards girls. In addition to checking such threats like Dragon and probably giving Poison a bit of an edge, the Fairy type was most likely implemented in order to attract a new generation of little girls to the Pokemon games.

Light type would have made less sense in terms of match up and could have caused much unneeded drama with the moms that keep saying Pokemon is a game leading children down the road to becoming delinquents. It doesn't have anything to do with attracting new players either as Fairy type on its own will not attract people who did not like Pokemon before nor will it be able to hold the attention of newer players that didn't like it before. Its still the same game we've played for generations. Just like any Mario or Zelda game. If you didn't like them then you won't like them now.

Think about it. Gamefreak no longer cares for what the fans want, all they want is to attract more money, which they will mainly get by attracting the new generation of little children. Problemo is, little girls nowadays are far more interested in things other than video games, so the money coming in was reduced from the amount it could have been. Gamefreak introduced the Fairy type as a way of getting girls buying again. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak introduced even more aspects to the game that would be geared towards girls.

Can you even produce a speck of proof to back up your absurd claims? Gamefreak has stated that the reason Fairy exists was just for the sake of nerfing dragons in competitive field. It may be their version of competition but still made to do exactly what they stated it to do. Which is what Fans have asked for since Generation 4. How is that "No longer cares for what fans want"? All they have been doing the last three generations is exactly what fans have asked for. They try to add in some extra things with it but majority of changes are what have been requested by fans. Fairy may not be specifically what was asked for, but it is a change to the competitive scene, a pretty large one as now we have to remaster the types with new weaknesses and strengths as well as learn a new type of Pokemon that has already been shown to have a fairly heavy effect on current meta.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's gonna be difficult for me to add a Fairy type on my team due to competition with having a Dragon type or a decent Ice type for the spot to counter other teams' Dragon types. I also want to know its other advantages and its disadvantages to put those rumors to rest. I can't seem to understand GF's decision of making Marill Water/Fairy despite not being based off of an existing fairy folklore irl.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I don't quite like the Fairy type. I mean, honestly, FAIRY? Not only would Light have made more sense, but it would simply be less... girly than this.

Explain how Light-Type makes sense. What make them unique? Do they produce Light in the same way Electric-Types Produce electricity? Light is electricity. Electric-Types are Light-Types. Ever play GSC? HGSS? Ampharos WAS the Lighthouse. A single Electric-Type was the light in the light house.

Light Type Pokemon are real. There already is a whole type of pokemon who emit waves and fields of electro-magnetic radiation, some of which is visible to the human eye - "visible light"

What type is that? Electric Type. Fire Types also make a lot of Light and heat when they breath fire.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Eh, this is GF logic, so I wouldn't argue too much with them. If they want to make a certain Pokemon Fairy-type, even if it is for no apparent reason to the fans, then they'll do so. At the moment however, I am completely happy with it's existence, that is, as long as poison-types get more usage, if it's true that fairy is weak to poison.

I'm just concerned about poison-type's overall usage, really. They've...pretty much been that "kid that never got picked for anything", if you want to personify it, even being surpassed by bug what with Quiver dance and all. At least hopefully, if fairy does have a weakness to poison, that maybe poison-type might have a chance to shine?

I don't see them moving. Main issue with Poison type pokemon was individual merit. They aren't going tobe any better with one new type added. Fairy has a possible chance of being treated as Poison is now. Only a handful appearing in repeat competitive appearences while the rest fester in obscurity because their stats or move sets aren't quite up there.

Thier atracks may end up being used more as you can still do heafty damage with the attack and not worry about the weakness the type has or worry about bad stats.

WishCookie

Years
At least hopefully, if fairy does have a weakness to poison, that maybe poison-type might have a chance to shine?

Still highly doubt that people will choose to use Poison types since they will still just be effective against Grass and Fairies if the Fairy type will be weak against poison and if not...

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
my opinon of the new fairy typ is that it needs to be grass, i mean come on grass is number counted out typ in pokemon, id love to c grass become a bit more domaint.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Do Clefairy or Jigglypuff fly? :o
The Fairy type is not the Tinker Bell type.
Jigglypuff DOES fly. You ever played Smash Bros??

You know what they should do to counter Dragon types? Port Melee Jigglypuff to Pokemon, with a fairy type and all. She'd be UU at first, but then people will realize her dominance thanks to her new fairy type, so she'll be OU. Afterwards people will realize how overpowered she (he?) is and be top 3 in the whole game.

Her ability would be having a match up favor of 6:4 against nearly all Pokemon, 7:3 to the weak Pokemon. And they should introduce B-Air. It should be fairy type, with unlimited PP, unavoidable and causes the Wall of Pain effect.. Real talk!
180px-JigglypufBackAir.gif

Back