• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I think we've covered, several times even, that Light and Sound are not practical and likely additions to Black and White.

We're simply making conversation.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think we've covered, several times even, that Light and Sound are not practical and likely additions to Black and White.

We're simply making conversation.
    Yeah we are :P
    Well the dragon type feels pretty uber...good thing lots of them have double weakness against Ice...

Years
    Dragon-types aren't that hard to take down. Ice is very effective, even if the dragon is holding a Yache Berry. If you can wall a dragon-type, you've pretty much figured out how to take one down.
    Yeah but steel has only three weaknesses...Well you can take those down as well... I guess we really don't need new types to balance it...
    I still hope for Sound,light,and Air/wind types!

Last edited:

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Dragon-types aren't that hard to take down. Ice is very effective, even if the dragon is holding a Yache Berry. If you can wall a dragon-type, you've pretty much figured out how to take one down.

especially when mixed with flying type which a lot do, it also has rock weakness.

same with dragond/ground, garchomp

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Yeah but steel has only two weaknesses...Well you can take those down as well... I guess we really don't need new types to balance it...
    I still hope for Sound,light,and Air/wind types!

Ground, Fighting, and Fire...

Also, agreed. Ice beam does a splendid job at taking care of nuisances like dragons.

Years
    Thanks to this thread I realized we don't really need new types to balance the metagame out :P, We just need stronger pokemon for the "Weak" types which are Bug...
    Yeah we need strong bug pokemon...OK maybe we do need a new type that is weak against bug...

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Someone forgot Heracross and Ninjask.

I'd rather see some changes to the current type chart than adding new types. Why isn't Water supereffective on Bug? Why isn't Poison supereffective against Bug? Poison should just be stronger in general. Doesn't really make sense to me that one of the most deadly things in the real world is one of the weakest things in the Pokemon world.

Years
    I'm going to ignoire the rudeness and leave it on a simple point:

Case in point, we cant live on 17 types forever or the game will get... stale!

We will need more!

I too fail to see the rudeness. But my problem with a lot of people suggesting new types is that they immediately jump from 17 types to 22-25 types. That's just going overboard. If you're going to add new types, add one or two and make them really unique. Wood, Air/Wind, Acid, and Magic just aren't unique. Time is the only one that's unique, but it's such an abstract concept that it's hard to realize. I guess I'm just glad that we're not still hearing about Space type.

If new types were ever added (and I don't think they will be in this generation), I could only see three that have been brought up in this thread as being somewhat viable: Light (aka Pure/Holy), Sound, and Glass. Even with Sound, I'm a bit iffy, because I don't see it as having enough variety in either design or attack. Light seems to "fit" the best into the pokemon world, and Glass seems like it could be the type that comes out of nowhere that is just really good. (That's why I'm making a Pirsor evo that is Bug/Glass.)

That would put my ideal type chart at 19 types. I might be convinced of a 20th, if it was really, really good. As it is now, we have 17 types, which allows for 289 different type interactions and dual type possibilities. 19 would put us at 361 (increase of 25%), which is already borderline too much (but would still make things fresh, if you ask me). 22, which you proposed, makes for 484 type interactions and dual type possibilities. That's an increase of 67%! That's too much.

Years
    I want Crystal type!
    Bugs don't all die in water some survive, poison eventually doesn't effect bugs as they become immune to them over time...just look at what's happening with Pesticides...
    Metal should be weak against Water but apparently they are all rust proof :P

Years
    When concerning Regice, pretend the Pokemon world is actually the real world. The Pokedex entries are stating characteristics of the Pokemon that would be the case in the "real" Pokemon word, so to speak. So in that sense, yes, Regice is actually immune to melting.
    Yeah I know, I just wished they gave it a special ability so it won't be as weak to fire like Brozor's ability which weakens fire...

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Thanks to this thread I realized we don't really need new types to balance the metagame out :P, We just need stronger pokemon for the "Weak" types which are Bug...
    Yeah we need strong bug pokemon...OK maybe we do need a new type that is weak against bug...

imo the week types are bug, poison and this is just what i think but psychic seems a TINY BIT underpowered to me. anyone agree?

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Alakazam, Gallade, Espeon, all the psychic legendaries, Slowking, etc. don't agree with you.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    Okay so maybe new types isn't all that important. Fixing current types seems more of an urgent issue, although it could radically change the game and dent the competative scene for a little bit.

Still more Power to the Poison and Bugs!

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Alakazam, Gallade, Espeon, all the psychic legendaries, Slowking, etc. don't agree with you.

i just think being SE against poison and fighting while being weak to ghost, dark and bug is not so great!

Okay so maybe new types isn't all that important. Fixing current types seems more of an urgent issue, although it could radically change the game and dent the competative scene for a little bit.

Still more Power to the Poison and Bugs!

yes if they change one or two types they may have to change several which could COMPLETELY change the type chart and that is one of the reasons new types are so resisted so i dont know if they will adjust the types

Last edited:

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I want Crystal type!
    Bugs don't all die in water some survive, poison eventually doesn't effect bugs as they become immune to them over time...just look at what's happening with Pesticides...
    Metal should be weak against Water but apparently they are all rust proof :P

crystal type makes no sense. people would beg suicune to be part crystal type.....what would it be weak and strong agaisnt anyways?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back