• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • Practically everything that can be said about Light Type has been said.
    Read the thread before posting. . .

On the other hand, while Sound Type may not be practical I would love to see Exploud get some new moves and a good typing.
    He kind of gets the short end of the stick being Normal Type, but he looks very cool.
    :(

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    here's some predictions for the names of a for a new sound type line

Maybe:

Ekko
    Deciboom
    Deciblast

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    No new types, unless it's weak to Grass and Poison. It's unneccessary :/

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    And second, if there was going to be a "Light Type," wouldn't Reshiram have it? Bulbapedia already found out it was going to be a Dragon/Fire Type Pokemon Fire is one of the Types that ppl say manifests light. Look at what Reshiram looks like:

If the "Light Type" was to be added, its Type would be Dragon/Light or maybe even Ghost/Light, if I had to choose a Type for it.
    New Types?

I am SO tired of people saying this. Please, PLEASE point out the Steel- or Dark-type mascot that appeared in Gen. II when those two types were added. OH WAIT, there wasn't one. Why? Obviously because GameFreak didn't see the need to give their new type a mascot right off the bat. Maybe two generations down the line, sure, whatever. But Reshiram not being a Light-type does not mean there will not be a Light-type.

Also, why would they put the mascot for a new type into one game? That's like ordering two vanilla sundaes and putting all the toppings onto only one of them. What sense does that even make? If you have an answer I'd be delighted to hear what you have to say. If anything at all a Light-type mascot would be better suited for the third installment, but need I remind you that Crystal's mascot was a Water-type? I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Srsly, people. STOP typing Pokemon based off of their color.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • If GF decides to introduce a new Type, which I doubt, we will know soon enough - that sort of thing is sure to spark interest, and no ad campaigner in their right mind would let it go to waste.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Pokestereotyping....hmmm

If people did that, Rotom would be a Fire type;)

Rotom is obviously electric just look at how his "legs" are shaped. Lightning bolt much lmao?

Also, I can understand where some of us are coming from when it comes to arguing "reshiram isn't light type so they don't exist" because frankly....people like electricscyther guaranteed light types based on how Reshiram looked.

Aight, aight, enough bashing lmao.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Yeah, I think if there is a light type coming up reshiram would probably be one.

So there is no light type.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    There are better reasons to suggest there won't be a Light-type, namely the fact that they haven't announced it yet (or even the fact that 2ch hasn't caught wind of it). I personally believe there won't be one because of this, but to be fair, there is still a movie they have yet to air and we have two months before release. Anything can happen. (And so that we're all clear: I still don't think it's likely, though I have my fingers crossed.)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • People do do that, all the time. It's dumb.
    'Reshiram should be Light because he's white', 'Zekrom shouldn't be electric 'cos he isn't yellow', all sorts of stupid stuff.

But dithyrambos, like .EJ said, the main reason this thread is using the absense of Reshiram's Light Typing as a reason against the type, is because the first half of the thread was people saying there will definitely be a Light Type because he's obviously Light.

As well as this, regardless of colour stereotyping, there'd be no better representative for the Light Type than a big, angelic, white bird, who is the mascot in a series of games that represents Yin and Yang, and so forth.

Sure it's not proof, but it does make it far more unlikely. Prior generations aren't evidence as they change the way they do things all the time.
    If you were going to do that, I could say there will never be any new types because Gen III and IV didn't add any.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Game Freak seems to be innovating a ton for BW and Isshu I wouldn't be suprised if there was a new type, but it would defenitely be sound, not light. This isn't frickin digimon, ppl.
    And DithyRambos makes a good Point, Game Freak snuck up on us with the new types, I don't remember sneasel and steelix dancing around on the title screen.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Game Freak seems to be innovating a ton for BW and Isshu I wouldn't be suprised if there was a new type, but it would defenitely be sound, not light. This isn't frickin digimon, ppl.
    And DithyRambos makes a good Point, Game Freak snuck up on us with the new types, I don't remember sneasel and steelix dancing around on the title screen.

Since when has digimon had a light type? As I recall, it only has data, virus, and vaccine...

Anyway, I've argued this before but it seems a good time to bring it up, since people seem to keep saying the opposite, but a light-type would actually be a BAD choice for a Yin-Yang theme. Light only makes sense if it means "good" or "holy" since Dark represents "evil" (and is even called Evil in Japanese). The two halves of the Yin-Yang need to be in balance, so you shouldn't be able to say which side is "better" than the other. Yin-Yang =/= good vs evil. I think the current "nature vs technology" fits the Yin-Yang much better. So Reshiram not being light does not mean that they *couldn't* introduce a Light type in this generation, although they probably won't anyway.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • AceDragonite has a point that they could be hiding it from us that theres a light type, but it's still unlikely. Reshiram would be perfect for light type, but it's not. But for the Yin-Yang thing... nature vs. technology??:\ eh... no.
    Light type has lost its supporters since Reshiram, and I doubt there'll be one. For example, what moves could it have? not very many.
    Besides Reshram, the only Pokemon we've seen so far that could be Light type is... maybe Gardevoir? Light type would be too close to psychic to be created for B/W.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    @Cyberglass: Were you the one who said something to the effect of Reshiram and Zekrom representing the opposing concepts of nature and industrialization? I remember seeing that post in the B&W Legendaries thread, although I can't remember the exact words of that post nor the name of the poster, but I really agreed with that view. Given the setting of Gen. V it makes quite a lot of sense. And as you've said, yin and yang aren't exactly synonymous with good vs. evil, according to Taoism. Yin and yang representing good and evil is more of an American thing. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see many Japanese holding that view as well, because of the rapid Westernization going on over there. So, idk, really. Honestly, I'm expecting to see the good vs. evil theme in this game just as much as I expect to see a Light-type, which is very, very slim.

And Ravecat, .EJ, I see what you guys are saying now (about why everyone seems to think Reshiram not being a Light-type = the end of the possibility there will be one). It's a shame we have to use such a lame reason as to why there won't be a Light-type. It just... it would make so much more sense if Zekrom were a Dark-type, eh? Why would yin represent good and yang represent.... electric? Because of this reason and the other reasons I've pointed out... in all my posts the last few days, I'm just really baffled by how some people think and the conclusions they have prematurely drawn.

But, okay, okay. I'll stfu about that (maybe) and just watch idly when someone stereotypes Reshiram as a Light-type.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    They didn't introduce Steel or Dark Legendary Pokemon until a Generation after. So light can still be introduced and not necessarily as a Legendary Pokemon.

As for what Cyberglass said, Dark's (Evil) type in Japanese is NOT THE SAME as Evil such as RAWR I'm bad so I destroy things, kill and enslave people. Light as a Holy or Good does not match Dark type Pokemon even as an opposite. The want and concept of Light that everyone wants doesn't fit or match even as an opposite to Dark type Pokemon. Fighting already counters Dark's concept. Dark deals with trick attacks, cheap low blows and conning. Fighting is honorable and orderly. Fighting is the opposite to Dark in the Pokemon world.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I agree with dithyrambos if the new games were based on good and evil then zekrom would have to be evil.yin and yang are just colors. thanks Xandero fighting is the opposite of dark.

I noticed something do ya think that the fact that electricity produces fire means anything?

Last edited:

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • @Cyberglass: Were you the one who said something to the effect of Reshiram and Zekrom representing the opposing concepts of nature and industrialization? I remember seeing that post in the B&W Legendaries thread, although I can't remember the exact words of that post nor the name of the poster, but I really agreed with that view. Given the setting of Gen. V it makes quite a lot of sense. And as you've said, yin and yang aren't exactly synonymous with good vs. evil, according to Taoism. Yin and yang representing good and evil is more of an American thing. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see many Japanese holding that view as well, because of the rapid Westernization going on over there. So, idk, really. Honestly, I'm expecting to see the good vs. evil theme in this game just as much as I expect to see a Light-type, which is very, very slim.

And Ravecat, .EJ, I see what you guys are saying now (about why everyone seems to think Reshiram not being a Light-type = the end of the possibility there will be one). It's a shame we have to use such a lame reason as to why there won't be a Light-type. It just... it would make so much more sense if Zekrom were a Dark-type, eh? Why would yin represent good and yang represent.... electric? Because of this reason and the other reasons I've pointed out... in all my posts the last few days, I'm just really baffled by how some people think and the conclusions they have prematurely drawn.

But, okay, okay. I'll stfu about that (maybe) and just watch idly when someone stereotypes Reshiram as a Light-type.

I, among many others, made that comparison in the Legendaries thread. However, I feel as if the typing only confirms this, or makes it more likely. See, someone stated in that thread that while the tail on Zekrom looks a lot like a turbo-jet engine, the tail of Reshiram looks like an old style tiki torch. See, Tiki torches are lit with fire, while the turbo jet would use electricity. In fact, both are sources of light, only one is more primitive to the industrious electricity. Just my two cents.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back