• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    How is Normal underpowered? Did we forget about Snorlax, Miltank, Tauros, Slaking? You catch my drift; the list goes on..

Not to mention the variety and creativity of movesets for them.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Not buying it, even the latin vulgate bible says 666 which is the most accurate readings, all bibles todays are translations from the latin vulgate.

You realize he is getting information from a wiki page right... that just proves that you can't argue with it... If he is wrong he can edit the page and make himself right xD

I'd see Light as a fairly balancing type.

Let's see how.

Super Effective:

Looking over possibilities as both a photon and a purity form, these types come to mind:

Dragon, Dark, Ghost, Water, Steel

Steel is highly reflective and will leave a great glare and will burn to the touch. Water is too, and focused photons can vaporize it.

Dragon, Dark and Ghost are the 'evil' types vanquished by warriors of light... with orbs... warm destiny orbs!

So that's a bunch of common types countered there.

But where would it fall flat?

Fire, Ice, Electric, Poison

Fire and Electric would mostly be empowered. Ice needs a new resistance and Ice looks nice and shiny in the right light. Poisonous clouds deny sunlight: ask planet Venus!

Immune Types as I could see it.

Grass, Psychic.

Psychics are 'enlightened', thus above the light that is to be. Grass just absorbs it because its yummy sunlight!

As a defensive type.... things get interesting.

Weakness wise its a bit hard to say the way things could be.

Ghost, Poison, Psychic, Dragon

Simple enough. Poison murks up light types and ghost or shadows just block the light away. Dragons can use their mysticness to siphon it and psychics enlighten themselves even further! Lots of underrep'd types attackwise.

But what doesn't hit hard?

Fire, Ice, Electric, Ground, Rock, Fight

The physical earth cannot beat the light which enriches soil and the bright fires and sparks cannot really harm it. Can you punch intangible light without being Chuck Norris? Go ahead, punch a star! Ice will start to melt...ish.

Types Light could be immune to:

Dark

Shadows may pass, but you cannot absense the light without gravity!

So let's see what it does to the type chart:

New SE hits for Poison and Ghost! SHWEET!
    Ice/Electric and Rock/Ground/Fight resist? Double sweet!
    New SE dragon hit and dragon slayer? Awesome?
    A middle finger for Spiritomb, Seadra, and all 3 Sinnoh Legendary dragons? Can't complain!
    Grass and psychic get an immunity? Uh, Okay.

The only thing missing is something to give electricity a second weakness.

This post is Ironic because its the 666th response!

Wouldn't Steel and Water be Resisted as hell with a Light type? Steel would reflect the light back and Water doesn't carry light...

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
  • what kind of light are you speaking? Some may be thinking Light as is 'light from a flashlight' or light as in 'holiness light' both of which is different.

flashlight light:

Weakness - Steel, Dark, Grass, Fire and Psychic.
    Resistant - Ghost, Bug, and Electric
    Strong against - Ghost, Bug, and Dark

Holiness Light -

Strong against - Poison, Ghost, Dark (e.i. cleansing from sickness and evils)
    Resistant to - Dark, Poison, Fire
    Weak against - Ice, Dragon and Normal.

It really is hard to say what a light type would be like, considering some of us have been arguing two different things. Dark type actually flips bakc and forth from ill-will attacks with nocturnal pokemon. (Although there are some ill will pokemon)

Truthfully Psychic type is not light type nor anywhere near light type.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    You realize he is getting information from a wiki page right... that just proves that you can't argue with it... If he is wrong he can edit the page and make himself right xD

If you're that concerned I might be lying, here is a (non-Wikipedia) link to why 616 is nowadays considered at least as likely as 666. And just for the fun of it, here is another.

It hardly matters anyway - it can't prove it either way, the most I can offer is that 666 isn't definitely the number of the beast, and nor is 616. And either way, I don't believe in all that so I frankly couldn't care less! :D

Anyways, on-topic:

what kind of light are you speaking? Some may be thinking Light as is 'light from a flashlight' or light as in 'holiness light' both of which is different.

Personally I think a bit of both, as I mentioned in my last post. I think they could be combined in the way Dark is (for me, although others would disagree) a combination of a lack of light and a lack of purity. Also, Psychic seems to be a combination of a mental focus/ability and an innate goodness (I don't personally see the latter particularly - I don't understand how people see Alakazam, Mewtwo, Hypno or Claydol as "good" as opposed to Dark's "evil." I think they all look quite sinister, myself).

Finally:

How is Normal underpowered? Did we forget about Snorlax, Miltank, Tauros, Slaking? You catch my drift; the list goes on..

Not to mention the variety and creativity of movesets for them.

You kinda made my point for me there - those Normal-type Pokemon may not be underpowered (stats-wise), but Normal-type moves definitely are, otherwise they wouldn't need such flexible movesets to be useful Pokemon. Likewise, Gengar isn't a useless Pokemon just because he's part-Poison-type, but I can't imagine there are many Gengars with Sludge Bomb in their moveset. Sludge Bomb may be a powerful and accurate move, with the benefit of STAB for Gengar, but Poison moves have such poor type matchups that it'd be a wasted move when Gengar could use something to cover his weaknesses instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Dec 1, 2014
    The Light I proposed was a revision from an old version of my Light type which was a bit different balanced around the fact that it had 6 other types to go with it: Magic, Gravity, Time, Wind, Wood and Acid and from the spreadsheet I made with them, they seemed to balance out nicely, granting types what they need in most cases:

A type to be immune to rock: (Magic)
    Ice gets some defensive resists: (Light, Gravity, Time)
    Poison Gets some SE Use: (Magic, Light, Wood, Acid)
    Electric gets new weaknesses: (Magic, Time, Wood)
    Steel gets some niche from being inferior to fighting as an attack type: (SE vs magic, wood)
    Types that resist nasty combos like Fire/Dragon, Ground/Dragon, Ghost/Fight and Ice/Electric, and Rock/Ground

Defensive precense for Grass helps in immunity to light...

Actually when all's said and done, the only types that wind up without anything immune to them are Grass, Water, Bug.

Hmmm, it's been a while since I've tampered with my old chart...

And maybe I've derailed the topic but I will post the original Light type as though the other 6 were there with it:

Attack:
    Super Effective (2x): Ghost, Water, Dragon, Dark, Steel
    Not Effective (1/2): Fire, Electric, Ice, Poison, Light, Acid, Time
    No Damage (0x): Grass, Psychic

Defend:
    Weakness (2x): Poison, Psychic, Acid, Time
    Resistance (1/2): Electric, Ice, Fight, Ghost, Light, Air
    Immune (0x): Dragon, Dark

AKA: I Levitated on Garchomp and couldn't be stopped.

Last edited:
    Years
  • @Dilasc

I must commend you on your 8-Bit Theater reference.

I'm glad that people are starting to accept the idea of a light type as being separate from Psychic/Electric/Fire. As we get more and more media from Game Freak, I see it as less and less likely, but I still like the idea in my head.

It's all making me want to participate in a hack project to have a creative outlet for all of these ideas. I just don't have the time to do that.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    But the light type was guaranteed! Oh lordy lololol

You kinda made my point for me there - those Normal-type Pokemon may not be underpowered (stats-wise), but Normal-type moves definitely are, otherwise they wouldn't need such flexible movesets to be useful Pokemon. Likewise, Gengar isn't a useless Pokemon just because he's part-Poison-type, but I can't imagine there are many Gengars with Sludge Bomb in their moveset. Sludge Bomb may be a powerful and accurate move, with the benefit of STAB for Gengar, but Poison moves have such poor type matchups that it'd be a wasted move when Gengar could use something to cover his weaknesses instead.

Or it could be among Gengar's strongest moves. It's all in the eye of the beholder. You're looking at type matchups whereas I am looking at strength and power. How come so many pokemon use return on their sets? You have a valid point but I was referring to something else.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    Okay, My turn for Speculation!

Hypothetical new types:

LIGHT:

The light type will be the Counterpart to Dark. Alone, this type will be pretty weak, but it counters with high Health and evasiveness.

The main moves of the light pokemon will actually be non offensive, making one on one battles hard. The main advantages come from its moves when fighting in the 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 battles

MOVES: Light types will focus on healing and distracting, stopping opponents from harming others while making sacrifices to protect themselves. The can Faint themselves to heal their teammates fully, Transfer HP from themselves, Confuse opponents with blinding attacks and use themselves as shields.

TYPE WEAKNESS: Grass, Fire, Fighting, Poison, Psychic and Electricity.

TYPE STRENGTHS: Ghost, Dark, Bug, Rock.

ARTIFICIAL:

Artificial types are types that aren't purely organic. Grimer counts as it's just "Living" radioactive sludge, and Porygon counts for being man-made.

MOVES: All of the moves are based on Normal moves.

TYPE WEAKNESS: Water (Washing them away an link to electricity) and Eletric (Powering them too much) Bug (Can affect them like water does) Ground

TYPE STRENGTHS: Poison, Psychic, Dark, (Light?) and Grass

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    I think I recall reading somewhere that instead of being a light/dragon it is going to be electric/dragon which means there is no light type?

I would like there to be though

Years
  • Not buying it, even the latin vulgate bible says 666 which is the most accurate readings, all bibles todays are translations from the latin vulgate.

OK, totally off topic, but the Vulgate is almost never used for translations anymore. The Bible is almost always translated from Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek (the three original languages) into its target language. That has been the practice for hundreds of years now.

Anyway, on topic: .EJ, I was laughing with you the first time you brought back the post about Light type being guaranteed. Now it's kind of getting old.

@Balloken - I see the appeal for making Light a defensive type, but I'd definitely like to see it as an attack type. There's room for status/support moves in there, but I don't think I'd like it if that were the dominant move type.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    If you're that concerned I might be lying, here is a (non-Wikipedia) link to why 616 is nowadays considered at least as likely as 666. And just for the fun of it, here is another.

It hardly matters anyway - it can't prove it either way, the most I can offer is that 666 isn't definitely the number of the beast, and nor is 616. And either way, I don't believe in all that so I frankly couldn't care less! :D

Anyways, on-topic:

Personally I think a bit of both, as I mentioned in my last post. I think they could be combined in the way Dark is (for me, although others would disagree) a combination of a lack of light and a lack of purity. Also, Psychic seems to be a combination of a mental focus/ability and an innate goodness (I don't personally see the latter particularly - I don't understand how people see Alakazam, Mewtwo, Hypno or Claydol as "good" as opposed to Dark's "evil." I think they all look quite sinister, myself).

Finally:

I'm not Christian so I don't give a rat's ass about it... But lay off the Normal type they can be just as good...Return is a Normal type move and it can kick some ass... Hyper Beam... Hell get an Eevee with a Scarf, Return, and Adaptability and watch the bodies hit the floor... I defeated Morty with my under leveled Kangaskan with only Normal type moves...

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I'd like to see the following type combinations:
    Bug / Electric (which volbeat should have been)
    Rock / Fighting
    Normal / Ghost

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Anyway, on topic: .EJ, I was laughing with you the first time you brought back the post about Light type being guaranteed. Now it's kind of getting old.

@Balloken - I see the appeal for making Light a defensive type, but I'd definitely like to see it as an attack type. There's room for status/support moves in there, but I don't think I'd like it if that were the dominant move type.

Yeah...I'm starting to feel cheesy by referencing him constantly...I'll stop lmao

Not that there will be one, but I see it more as a defensive type. Moves like light screen and reflect would get retyped.

Years
  • They need a HUMAN TYPE!! It would be weak to everything and it wouldn't be able to hit anything!!! Just like a real human!!!!!! lol i just had to put that

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
  • only two types i want.
    SOUND
    come on,
    Jigglypuff
    Kricketune
    Exploud
    Politoed
    Chatot
    The list goes on
    and theres
    Hyper Voice
    Bug Buzz
    Sing
    Grasswhistle
    etc.
    and to further prove it, there is the soundproof ability.
    And then there is the ??? type, which has been done, but could be further applied to
    Ditto
    Porygon family
    Kecleon
    Castform
    etc.
    also the moves Hidden Power, Metronome, Sketch, etc.
    ??? could be neutral to everything.
    But that would make it 19 types, so i guess Light COULD be an acceptable type.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • only two types i want.
    SOUND
    come on,
    Jigglypuff
    Kricketune
    Exploud
    Politoed
    Chatot
    The list goes on
    and theres
    Hyper Voice
    Bug Buzz
    Sing
    Grasswhistle
    etc.
    and to further prove it, there is the soundproof ability.
    And then there is the ??? type, which has been done, but could be further applied to
    Ditto
    Porygon family
    Kecleon
    Castform
    etc.
    also the moves Hidden Power, Metronome, Sketch, etc.
    ??? could be neutral to everything.
    But that would make it 19 types, so i guess Light COULD be an acceptable type.

but doesn't this only prove taht a sound type is not necessary since it is already covered by so many moves/pokemon?

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Not really. . . It's like if there was no Fire-type, but a bunch of Pokémon with a fire-like appearance who utilized fire-like attacks, but they were just Normal Type.

Not saying we need a Sound Type, just that this is the logic behind it, and it's quite reasonable, really.

Also, it could be named:
    Sound Type
    Sonic Type
    Melody Type
    Noise Type
    Sonance Type
    etc.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • Not really. . . It's like if there was no Fire-type, but a bunch of Pokémon with a fire-like appearance who utilized fire-like attacks, but they were just Normal Type.

Not saying we need a Sound Type, just that this is the logic behind it, and it's quite reasonable, really.

Also, it could be named:
    Sound Type
    Sonic Type
    Melody Type
    Noise Type
    Sonance Type
    etc.

right, but you listed a bunch of moves from different types. its not because it hasn't been done yet, its because there's just not that much to sound as a type. it would pretty much be limited to pure support. most of the moves you listed were status affecting. what are they gonna do, vibrate to death?, and i can't think of that many things they could make into sound pokemon, other than a crap ton of speaker variants. i'm not denying it complete plausability, as i would like a more supportively cast type, but i can see them adding many more types before sound is considered

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I didn't list anything.

But ignorance isn't an argument, I'm sure other people could think of sound-related Pokémon.

You are aware, though, that sound can cause injury and potentially be fatal, yes?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back