• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Voice cast - Discussion

Bastiko Pradhana

claims not to be Pikachu
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Here's what I wrote to PUSA.

To whom it may concern:

I have been a (dedicated) Pokémon fan since 1999. At about that time,
    I was immediately hooked to the television show because I was
    interested in the Journey - that is, Ash's quest to become the
    greatest Pokémon master.

All of the characters on this show have distinct personalities, which
    is most embodied in their voices. The voices of these characters have
    been so familiar that I can only tell if a piece of dialogue is right
    for them by imagining how they would say it.

Which brings me to my point. When I heard that they would be changing
    the voices, it was unquestionably THE most disconcerting news I've
    heard. Even though I'm told they will be changing voices with a
    "sound-alike", I was doubtful of how alike they were.

With the airing of the 10th anniversary special "The Mastermind of
    Mirage Pokémon", my doubts were realized. The voices were, were...
    empty, had no soul, and I felt it disfigured their character.

I realize that while the Journey might be more important, it is
    meaningless without the characters, and without their original voices,
    I don't feel as if the characters were there. Thus I have come to
    request that the original voices be reinstated.

These original voices mean a lot to the characters. So, please
    consider my request to bring them back.

Regards,

Bastiko Pradhana

Please bring back the voices. :cry:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I guess I place my voice in the whole new VA thingie. I mean I like it so it was a great episode thingie so it was good. I guessing the VAs aer being discuss here.

The bad stuff. The voices. I even thought that they were a bit bad. Max, Professor Oak and Misty sounded like the old VAs. They were not the same but they were ok.

Ash was bad. I like the idea that they were going for an older sounding voice but maybe they could have just settle us into the new Ash voice. I like the new older sounding voice but it not that great.

Team Rocket. Jessie's was ok but not great. Maybe if it was more relax then it be better. Meowth's sounds like it was from the first season of Pokemon but it kind of not relax. James was like the romatic type from the first season but I like the funny girly voice better.

Brock's voice was scracthie but it wasn't that great. They should have tried captuing the goffyness of it. They did found another scracty voice but it wasn't the same.

May's was horrible!!! It sounded like nothing like the old May!!! She sounded like a guy kinda. Lots of work needed.

Pokemon are the same except I was hoping to hear Corpfish.

It not that all bad. Still pokemon that I love so much but will a few changes. Hopefully they can get the voices straight by the time they actually take control of the dub. You should have watch just because its Pokemon. I still like it even with the new voices.

BrownEyedGirl

Beginning Trainer? Muahahaha..
    Years
    Dude!

The new Matermind of Mirage Pokemon VA's got me so p*ssed! I'll admit the animation was fantastic (except for Mew. Her eyes looked as if she had taken steroids.), I HATED the new VA's!

My thoughts-

Ash- Okay, this voice actually made me LMAO. As soon as the first word of the new VA reached my ears, I had tears in my eyes. Not only tears of seeing the tremendous humor in this, but also of disbelief. I, like almost everyone else, have watched this show since its first U.S debut episode in 1998, so this was like a slap in the face. I remember from the first few episodes they had a different VA, but this one? This is a freaking joke. I would give ANYTHING to have Veronica Taylor back!

Max- Not much of a change. Sounds somewhat older, so I can adapt to this new VA.

May- Not to sound like a lesbian or anything, but this new VA sounds hot. I too would rather have Veronica Taylor as the VA, but I can still adapt to this voice.

Misty- In my opinion, this VA was the one that sounded the most like the old VA. I was pretty happy with that. BUT! There were some parts where the voice went out of sync and sounded weird. Other than that, it was okay.

Brock- THE WORST NEW VA! This voice made me want to shoot myself and take Brock with me! Seriously, WTF? The whole Jenny and Nurse Joy praise, the agreeing with others... it just was NOT right! Sounds a little like Butch (and I've always hated Butch's voice), only trying too hard to sound like some sort of man child!

Prof. Oak- LMAO people, LMFAO! 4Kids is out to torture the viewers with this annoying, croaking, sounds-like-he's-dying-a-tragic-death VA! 2nd worst! Well, you get my point.

Jessie- Like Misty, sounded mostly like the old VA with a few glitches. I could adapt to this as well.

James- I'll agree with the earlier post I saw: he sounds even gayer than before. It literally rakes itself against my ears. I loved the old VA...

Meowth- Oddly enough, I find this voice much cuter. Don't ask me why, because I don't know myself. Still wish the recent VA was still around.

Overall thoughts- WTF 4Kids/Nintendo? What was the whole point in this? Nice 10th Anniversary gift for all the dedicated viewers. YOU SUCK!

Last edited:

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
    Years
    My opinion on the voices (AKA the butchery of the Pokemon DUB)

The characters felt blank, like they were trying very little to even compare to the original voices. Ash was not at all like himself. He felt so strange and out of place as were the rest of them.

Ash: No way in hell could that voice suit him. It made him sound younger, he sounded like a 10 year old instead of a 14 year old. Ridiculous!

Misty: There were a few times where she sounded like the real Misty.

Brock: If Ash's voice was bad this one was worst. I'm sorry for being so blatant about this but he sounded like he had a major case of phlegm stuck in his throat and he didn't clear it out.

May: Last I looked a 10 year old did not sound like a 20 year old. This one was horrible and plain wrong and whoever said that voice was suited for her should be shot.

Max: Half and half. He at times felt like his old self but still felt blank as Ash did. No personality whatsoever.

Prof. Oak: His voice sounded much, much older and it plained annoyed me. It was not lively like the real one.

Meowth: Words cannot describe the pain my ears felt every time he said something. I wanted to beat myself to death with the first blunt object I could reach.

Jessie: In a weird sense she felt there, you know? Like it was the real Jessie but at the same time it did not.

James: Let me just go out and say this...he sounded gayer than before! All he needed was the pink tutu to complete the whole **** set.

Over all, the plot was ridiculous, the voices were an embarrasment and an insult to all Pokemon fans!
    I really hope they reconsider this horrible mistake they call a change.
    If they hoped to accomplish anything it was making the fans angry and bitter. In my most honest opinion, this episode was a down right, self loathing embarrasment and it felt like a munitny.

If they keep these unbearable screeches as the voices I declare here now that I will NOT continue to watch the anime. With all the pain in my heart I refuse to watch this insult they have created.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    If they keep these new VAs, I will be more pissed tham Imaginable. I HOPE YOU HEAR THIS PUSA, WE DONT LIKE THE NEW VOICR ACTORS. SO CHANGE THEM BACK.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Ugh... yeah, I'm definitely writing a letter sometime today. I have to let my opinion be heard on this even if it does nothing. Oh and Drew, I agree, I don't hate the people that did the voices, I just hate that they had to be changed.

What I don't understand out of all of this is why they used 4Kids voice actors when they already had 4Kids voice actors dubbing it. Were Veronica Taylor and them asking for too much money? I don't get it. If money was the case, I think it was pretty cheap of PUSA to refuse to pay them. I mean, they are part of one of the biggest franchises in the world. >.> There are quite a few of us that got into liking Pokemon because of the anime; if it wasn't for that show being what it was, PUSA wouldn't nearly be as rich as they are now. T.T You'd think they could shell out a few more peanuts as a thank you to them.

Broleta

[..1..]
    Years
    Those voices were disgusting tbh..

Ash sounds like he drank a bottle of dioxide >_<
    If they think that the new VA for Brock sounds anything like the old VA then they should stand on a platform and allow me to hit them with rocks. Brock's voice was horrid.
    Misty was crap as well.
    May sounds like a hooker and Jesse doesn't sound much better.

I seriously hope they give us the real voices back instead of this fake crap =/
    I for one won't be watching the anime anymore if they keep these voices, let alone buy dvds.

Tuxedo Mark

Misty+May 4-Ever!
    Years
    Okay, I've been a Pokemon fan since Season 1. I'd say since 1999, not 1998, since I didn't start watching it from the beginning. However, they were still in Indigo when I started watching it.

I just saw the new special yesterday, and here are my opinions of the new voices:

Ash - I don't care about Ash as a character at all (get a new lead!), but I like his new voice (even though it's still done by a girl). It's deeper, which fits well with Veronica Taylor's original take on Ash - before it suddenly shot way up sometime during Season 1. And let's face it: Ash is supposed to be 20 by now (or at least 18 in U.S. continuity). He should have hit puberty by now.

Misty - I'll miss Rachel Lillis, but the new voice actor sounds a lot like her. Good job.

Brock - I hate Brock (the character), so I don't care what he sounds like.

May - I like her new voice. I don't care if she sounds older than 10 (May's older than that by now, anyway). Some kids really do have deeper voices, making them sound older than they are.

Max - I don't care for Max as a character, so I don't care what he sounds like. That said, he sounds the same as the original.

Team Rocket - They should have gotten off of the show a long time ago. I treat them as a soda break. Who cares what they sound like?

Professor Oak - Is it true that they got the original voice actor back (not that I ever noticed that they changed voice actors back then)? He's okay.

Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy - fine, but I prefer the original actor.

Pokemon - whatever.

There you have it. As long as my girls sound okay, I'm fine with the new voice cast.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    Tuxedo Mark said:
    And let's face it: Ash is supposed to be 20 by now (or at least 18 in U.S. continuity). He should have hit puberty by now.

No clue where you got that from. Ash is no older than 15 at the most. The anime years aren't the same as ours. In a recent episode Ash commented to May, Max, and Brock how it had been a good "several months" on the road together, meaning Hoenn didn't take 3 years, but less than just 1, which leads me to believe that it's the same with the others.

But I agree with the majority. The characters just seemed so out of place, especially Ash. When he was commanding Pikachu, it just didn't suit him at all... it was weird. It's like Ash just died and his body is now possesed with some lifeless pineapple (okay, made that up).

Bring back the old VA's!

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2006
    I hated brock's voice, it was so wierd. May and Max's voices were also horrible.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    Trainer Rachel said:
    No clue where you got that from. Ash is no older than 15 at the most. The anime years aren't the same as ours. In a recent episode Ash commented to May, Max, and Brock how it had been a good "several months" on the road together, meaning Hoenn didn't take 3 years, but less than just 1, which leads me to believe that it's the same with the others.

But I agree with the majority. The characters just seemed so out of place, especially Ash. When he was commanding Pikachu, it just didn't suit him at all... it was weird. It's like Ash just died and his body is now possesed with some lifeless pineapple (okay, made that up).

Bring back the old VA's!

Up to Varidian the first time took 1 year so the orange islands and johto probably took 1 1/2 years total. I assume Hoenn took about a half a year so that makes Ash about 13. NOT 6 YEARS OLD LIKE HIS NEW AND MIGHT I ADD HORRIBLE VOICE ACTOR SOUNDS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Hoenn took a little over a year. So Ash probably is around 14-15 years old.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    Killing any rumors "NewBrock" guy made. Post-Special Speculation
    Source: SPPF and BMG topic https://www.bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=12542&page=7

Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:16 pm
    Subject: Interesting that we just had a discussion about rumors.

Interesting that we just had a discussion about rumors.

Apparently the new voice of Brock posted on Serebii's message
    board. I can't not look at the boards, I guess. It's like a car
    wreck. I might register with this message board myself just to
    reply to this. This is just making me angrier. (yes, I know who
    this person is) Just the first part of the message is posted here
    since I don't have time to respond to the whole thing right now.

------------

"Hello everyone,

I am hesitant to post here as I fear that many of you are greatly
    upset with what you heard from this weekend's special, but I feel
    that someone from the new group of VAs must speak up.

Please understand that during this tough transitional time, the
    new voice actors that are working on Pokemon are trying their
    best to fill some very big shoes. In the past, I have had the
    opportunity to speak with many of the original Pokemon actors.
    They are terrific, talented people and I have a great respect for all
    the work that they have done in these past eight years to bring
    Pokemon to television, movies, etc. Unfortunately, due to the
    contracts that these actors have signed with 4Kids, they are no
    longer able to work on Pokemon. So, no matter what letter
    writing campaigns you start, these actors will not be allowed to
    work on Pokemon outside of the 4Kids studios."
    -----------

(snipped)

This person does not speak for us and does not know our
    business or the specifics of why we aren't doing the show. The
    contracts do not per se prevent us from doing the show. It was
    that _no one even appoached us to do it, no negotiations,
    nothing, was done to allow the possbility._ The contract is not
    impermeable in this fashion, and this VA has no idea what he's
    talking about. That's why all of this is very shady and why I'm
    very angry.

URGH. This is one headache of an example of rumors.

He wrote more, but I have to go. I just wanted to clear this up
    here. This person should not be speaking for anyone, especially
    what isn't true.

Theres nothing in 4kids contracts that prevent them to work on the new dub.

Maddie Blaustein here.

Thanks for everybody's concern about the old Pokemon Cast (I cant believe I have to write it as the "Old" Cast)

anyways -- Rachel's post is quite correct --there was never any offer to the old cast to continue our work on Pokemon. To say I'm heartbroken that I can't perform as Meowth any more is an understatement.

Heck, my parrot says "Dat's Right"!

No doubt any conflicts between what the original cast might say and the new cast might say is all from what we are told.

To those of you who have appreciated my work, I'm not dead yet! There will be other shows that I (and the rest of the OVA of Pokemon) will be on. and I do hope you'll look for us there :)

Meowth will always always be the closest to my heart and I just want to thank all of you that have enjoyed watching him these last 8 years.

FWIW I actually didn't think the new Meowth was all that bad, Just needs to be able to sweetin' him up when needed. Meowth has a soft spot --but then it wasn't really called for in the special.

Blaustein Off!

Maddie

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    Kazuhito said:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Hoenn took a little over a year. So Ash probably is around 14-15 years old.

Well, I remember that in the episode where they split up to go back to their homes, he says it'd been a good several months.. but of course, that could always mean over a year... well, if Ash just didn't feel like using years, lol.

...Did that make sense? Anyway, yeah, he seems to be about 14-15, 13 as the youngest.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Well. I guessing not everybody is happy with the new VAs. I guessing that the new VAs even said something but I guess this is pretty big.

Well. If the idea is still going on then how about some comments to help improve the new VAs. I mean we don't think we be getting the old ones back but improvements can be made.

Ash- Like the older voice. Try to loosen up and make it sound more happier and less bigheadedness. He just seemed so bigheaded. Add a little bit feeling.

May- Ok. Now if the show took place with the group being 20-24 then this will be the perfect voice for May but she is now 10/11. For this one try to make her sound a bit younger. She is only 10/11.

Max- Ok but make him sound younger too.

Brock- Too scratchie. It needs to be less rough. It is way to rough.

Meowth- Remings me off the 1st season one.

If these guys had a bit more pratice then they be ok. I hope to see improvment before the next time we hear them again. I may not know much but it nice to hope.

Back