• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Voice cast - Discussion

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Light_Azumarill said:
    But... I thought that Veronica Taylor and other VA's said that it was animated over here....

*is still confused*

I don't know.

Nah, Its animated in Japan... because it has all the Japanese sponsers and TV Tokyo with it and all... also, Japan is almost a year ahead of us, episode wise....

>> ... I watch the Japanese... otherwise I wouldn't know..x__x;;

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Light_Azumarill said:
    Huh... I guess that would be me you're referring to? ^^;;;

You do have a point and as I wrote my letter I thought about making it short, but along with shortness comes the possibility that they won't take it seriously enough. *shrug* I didn't want to leave anything out so... there. XD
    Oh, whoops! I didn't read your letter before I made my post, so I wasn't referring to you at all... I'm sorry if it came off that way. XD *sweatdrop* Yours sounds really good, and I agree that it won't hurt them at all to get a few longer, more detailed letters. They'll probably take those more seriously!

Anyway, well... even if it was animated in Japan, then I'm still glad to know that they also care about their American fans by making something exclusive for us (for a change...). XD

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Really? You hadn't read it? What a funny coincidence! ^-^ Seriously though, I wasn't too offended, no worries.

Um, as for the animated in Japan/America thing... I suppose you're right considering the credits say it. *shrug* I don't think that really matters though. It's not like PUSA is going to start animating their own epsiodes so there's really no point in talking about it even if they had animated the special. >.>

The important things are the voices and the script. That's where the differences will be made from the originals.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    Pokemon USA did not hide the truth. The reason why Pokemon USA switch dubbing companies because of us (the fans)

BMGf said:
    Many pages back, Blackjack Gabbiani posted that info which she had received directly at Journey Across America from a guy named Colin (who works at pokemon.com). She said that he said the reason why they made the switch from 4Kids to Pokemon USA was because of us - the fans (they must've been reading all of those people's posts complaining about 4Kids and stuff).

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
    As for the reason for the change, it wasn't 4Kids as WPM said, but rather...well...us. He said it was that they thought it was what the fans wanted (I'm presuming because 4Kids is so unpopular).

This means that Pokemon USA have been reading our complainments about 4kids on some Pokémon Forums, and it's still not too late to have the Old Voice actors back. You just have to write the letter..

Season 9 dubbing haven't start, I believe, so changes can still happen... and contracts can be simpily broken by firing the person...

And this is comfirmed and not made up infomation....

Last edited:

Jodi

Jeremy's Cute Stalker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2006
    Sweetys, what wrong with the new voices? I think they're better then the old voices. You silly sweetys should stop whining and just let them change the voice actors. Jeremy would agree, right? ^-^

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    Jodi said:
    Sweetys, what wrong with the new voices? I think they're better then the old voices. You silly sweetys should stop whining and just let them change the voice actors. Jeremy would agree, right? ^-^
    I have to disagree, and we are not whining... If you saying that the new voices are better because 4kids not doing the dub isn't a reason.

The new voices compared to the orginal are terrible. Since you start watching the anime recently, you will get used to it quicker, but I watched the anime since 1999. I gotten used to the old voices soo much that I don't want any drastic change. Sure the narrator changed during AG season, but I still gotten used to it.

I have watch the special and the voices are like totally terrible. They were very off from the orginal voices and they did not show any emotion whatsoever. If you going tell people to stop whining, they will not stop or simpily ignore you.

Anyways. the new voice actors are not in place for Season 9, so theres time to get the Orginal voice actors back. PUSA had listen to us before with the 4Kids issue, but why not the voice acting issue? =p

P.S.: Please use a black font. On some layouts, the text is hard to readable on other alternative browsers besides IE. Thank you. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Jodi said:
    It's not even a matter of being used to the old voices for most people. These voices are just bad, and I hate saying this since the person that voiced Brock is brand new to the VA world, but he really sucks. He couldn't get the right tone across and sounded nothing like Brock should. If you would have actually read the thread, you'd see people's problems with the voices

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Pokemon.com put up a response to all the letters. Basically they said that there was a problem with the contracts of the former VAs. I looked into it and apparently all of the former VA's contracts have a clause that states if a property is bought by a competitor, the current actors cannot work on the show for one year after the sell.

So in other words, the letters got to PUSA, 4kids just screwed everyone over.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Michelle Newman did a ok job with May's voice. I just wish that Veronica Taylor whould stay on has the voice of Ash...

blastoise>you

blahblahblah
    Years
    Beware of an uneducated response to the new ""VAs" (in quotes for obvious reasons).

They really suck and I don't think I can see myself getting into the show anymore because of the familiarity factor and how that was just thrown out the window. I watch pokemon because I want to relax and have memories of when I was younger and how I played in local tournaments with all of my friends and made friends and always talked about the show. Now the stupid *******s in charge just ****ed everything up for me.

Well all I have to say is **** you brocks voice and **** you Oaks voice, watch the show once or twice, they don't sound like that you **** eaters.

I hope I don't get suspened for that. And I hope you have a censor program on your message board.

Years
    According to the official website, the new VAs had little time to prepare for the special. Maybe they were actually trying hard to get the old VAs back? (Or trying to get the new VAs to sound like the old ones?)

Kazuhito said:
    Pokemon.com put up a response to all the letters. Basically they said that there was a problem with the contracts of the former VAs. I looked into it and apparently all of the former VA's contracts have a clause that states if a property is bought by a competitor, the current actors cannot work on the show for one year after the sell.

So in other words, the letters got to PUSA, 4kids just screwed everyone over.

So in other words, we basically have to live with the new voice actors for about a year before we even hope to hear from our old voice actors, right?

Man, I knew the old VAs were on some sort of contract with 4Kids way before this special even happened, but I didn't know that they have to wait a year before they can do anything...

I tried to be nice, but I just lost all respect to 4Kids.

Do you have the link on where you found that contract, Kazuhito? Or was it an email that's not supposed to be distributed?

And Nintendo is still at fault how? Please explain, mewthree w/armor!

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Light_Azumarill said:
    The important things are the voices and the script. That's where the differences will be made from the originals.

I completely agree. If anybody if familiar with the TV Show "Ojamajo Doremi" (Magical Doremi for those who've only seen the dub) the script was almost completely erased and redone. The voices are crap and they changed the baseline plotline (Same with Tokyo Mew Mew; Mew Mew Power) to fit to what they think kids want to see.

It's absolutely pathetic. They should realize that after 10 years, the voice actors are more than just voice actors; they are the characters themselves. I went on Youtube and heard a clip from the show and almost lost it laughing. Inwardly, I was thinking about how pathetic the dubbing industry has become. Yes, they've cut out parts in Pokemon but over all kept the plotline the same. It was my first anime, it got me into the craze that I'm probably going to continue for the rest of my life so you could say I owe 4kids alot. Then again, I owe them about twenty thrashings for all the flaws they've made. I do not agree with this almost facist idea of changing Pokemon to turn it into a show like Lilo and Stitch or Digimon after Disney was done messing with it. If children can watch it in Japan or the UK, why does America have to suffer the wrath of idiotic producers who probably don't even know the names of all the Pokemon Characters?

mewthree w/armor said:
    Let us pray 4Kids goes under, but Nintendo is still not without blame.

No, they're not. I believe it's the whole idea of change and possibly money. The new voice actors may not cost as much as the old and they are most likely younger. They may think that because Satoshi and the gang are pushing the 14-16 age they need to sound older, thus ushering in a new age of voice dubbers. However, I do not see why they changed Jesse and James's voice actors. They haven't really aged at all and Meowth hasn't aged a day really. It's annoying that they changed them all instead of just a few (A few I probably wouldn't have minded as much as all of them)

Question tho. I haven't seen the new dub episode, just clips. Did they give it a corny new opening song?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Mikachu said:
    Question tho. I haven't seen the new dub episode, just clips. Did they give it a corny new opening song?

Yeah, it had a reeeally lame opening song that almost made me cry. ;.; However, it might have just been for the special episode and not the next season.

And Kazuhito, there's just something I don't get about this... if the voice actors all knew about this clause, then why are they acting as if it's changeable? o.O Are they just hoping that by mailing a couple hundred letters to PUSA (who aren't even responsible for the clause) we'll be able to null and void their contracts for them? I mean, it seems pretty silly to think that fans can alter a company contract. >.>

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    dqle said:
    So in other words, we basically have to live with the new voice actors for about a year before we even hope to hear from our old voice actors, right?

Do you have the link on where you found that contract, Kazuhito? Or was it an email that's not supposed to be distributed?

More or less, and it was an email , basically the contract said this "If a property owned, leased or associated with 4Kids ent. is bought by an opposing competitor, the current cast may not be hired by said opposing competitor for up to one year (12 months)." So we're stuck with this new cast for about a year, they may get better in time since PUSA waited until the very last minute to hire them since they tried to get the old cast back.

And Kazuhito, there's just something I don't get about this... if the voice actors all knew about this clause, then why are they acting as if it's changeable? o.O Are they just hoping that by mailing a couple hundred letters to PUSA (who aren't even responsible for the clause) we'll be able to null and void their contracts for them? I mean, it seems pretty silly to think that fans can alter a company contract. >.>
    That's what I don't understand either, apparently 4Kids never actually told the cast that they couldn't work for PUSA. It was more of a "We'll throw some small print in the contracts and not tell them about it" I guess they expected the cast to read the part of the contract they didn't even know they signed. Also, don't expect David Rolfe(guy that's been doing the themes since Advanced) to be back for the new themes. He's under 4Kids contract as well, so we're looking at a very different opening.

Last edited:

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
    Well, just as long as the openings aren't as stupid and pathetically annoying as the special's, I'm okay with it.

What I'm not okay with is the fact that we have to last with these lame voice actors (except Misty's, 'cause she sounds almost like Lillis) for about a year before we have any chance to get Taylor and the others back. Man, 4Kids screwed up big-time! Then again, it's just like them...

(BTW, I'm sure you know I meant Veronica Taylor, not AI's Taylor Hicks. ^_^)

Yay! My 700th post! ^_^

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Hold the fecking phone! You mean that we're stuck with this horrible voice actors for atleast a year?! >:/ That's just gr-ea-t... ><;

Now it comes down to it, who's to blame, sweeties? v.v

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2015
    Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon - Pokemon.com Article

Pokemon.com has posted a feedback article on the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon and the new VA. This is biggest bunch of *&$% ever written and is completely false. Almost all fans disliked the new voice actors and would like the original ones brought back.

Pokemon.com said:
    We have also heard you were concerned with the new voice actors, and many of you have voiced your concern (pun intended) though your e-mails and letters. Believe us - we are fans of the TV show, too, and we care just as much about something like voice changes as you do, We changed the voice actors for the main characters because we were told that the actors who used to provide voices to our characters had conflicting contractual commitments. So, we hope you will help us welcome the new voice actors into the Pokemon family - we think they're great, and they did a great job on The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon during the shortened transition period between production studioes... Nothing else was changed, and it is still the same awesome show you're used to seeing every week, with great storylines straight from Japan, original music, and a well-thought out plot (which is the most important thing when producing a TV show)!

Pokemon has always been about fair play and teamwork, and we expect the same from our fans. In other words, if you have comments, complaints or praise, let us know directly at [email protected]. We always welcome constructiuve criticism!

Personally, I liked the story of The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, but the new voice actors were highly distracting. Brock sounded like a chainsmoker, Ash's voice was just wrong, May's voice sounded like at 50 year old, and James sounded terrible. What makes people mad about this change is they are basically replacing the main characters and pretending nothing happened to them.

Now to discuss why Pokemon.com editoral is completely wrong.
    Pokemon.com said:
    we care just as much about something like voice changes as you do
    If they really cared they would have found a way to remedy these supposed 'contractual commitments' just like any sports company would to keep their stars on the team. They didn't even care about them because according to Reggie Fils-Aime at last years E3, "Pokemon is serious business." The decision to change the voice actors was a business decision. After 8 seasons of voice acting for the anime, the actors salary increases, so replacing them with basic salary actors allows Pokemon USA to save money.

Pokemon.com said:
    Nothing else was changed, and it is still the same awesome show you're used to seeing every week, with great storylines straight from Japan, original music, and a well-thought out plot
    For years, the background music has been changed from the originally broadcast raw in Japan. Myself and others believe that the japanese background music is leaps and bounds beyond the english dubbed version. The storylines would be great if they sticked to the original one in the japanese release. There are too many paint edits, clip cuts and dialogue changes in the english version and they are still doing it in the latest episodes of the show. Most recently, airing May's final contest out of order. This changes the flow of the storyline arc, so I do not see how they can justify by saying they are 'straight from Japan'. The final point here is the 'well-though out plot'. Pokemon plot: Ash and group travel to the nearest gym to challenge the leader to get the badge to enter the local league. Team Rocket arrives on the scene to capture Pikachu but fails miserably and blast out into the sky. You'de think the Japanese and english dub would finally come up with a new plot after 10 years. This isn't the dubs fault, but they could at least influence the Japanese script writers to change the plot.

Pokemon.com said:
    Pokemon has always been about fair play and teamwork, and we expect the same from our fans.
    Team Rocket plays fair? Guess Giovanni must now run Pokemon USA. Fair would be actually listening to your fans concerns instead of laughing all the way to the bank. A recent magazine article stated the Pokemon USA is worth about 1.3billion dollars. I think they can afford to keep the original voice actors. The current rumour is that KidsWB also didn't like the change in the Voice Actors and decided they wouldn't broadcast the show anymore. (https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cartoon_Network_reportedly_in_negotiations_with_Pokémon_USA)
    Ratings said:
    Pokemon at 10:00 a.m. ET captured the sweep as the #1 broadcast program among the Saturday morning competition in Kids 6-11 (2.5/10, tied with Xiaolin Showdown), Boys 2-11 (2.8/11) and Boys 6-11 (3.6/15, tied with Xiaolin Showdown). The program also took the #2 Saturday morning broadcast program spot among Kids 2-11 (2.1/8), Tweens 9-14 (2.4/12) and Males Tweens 9-14 (3.4/16)"
    If this is true, then I congratulate them for doing so. Pokemon was KidsWB's highest rated show, so it must have been a difficult decision for them. Keeping the quality of the shows high should be the mark of any television channel. The voice actors are still willing to continue protraying their characters, so they should not have been changed.

Recommendations for people that do not like the new dub. Stop watching it if you dont like the new voice actors. The japanese version is available to watch online and isnt too difficult to follow. I was always one to state, don't compare the dub to the japanese version as they both have their own unique qualities, but since the VA change, my stance has changed. https://www.bulbagarden.net/pokemoncreations/sova/ is also a great cause to help bring back the voice actors.

[/rant]

Back