• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Newly Discovered Pokemon"

Years
  • This question has been on my mind for years.How come that pokemon in other regions that have been around for years and years,qualify as newly dicsovered pokemon in Kanto.Doesnt Professor Oak keep in contact with them?We know he does,its been shown several times in the show.I remember them saying that Marril and Snubull were "newly discovered",but one of the Johto episodes had a person who has a Snubull for years.Same with the D/P pokemon.So how exactly do Pokemon that have been around for a long time and living with people,qualify as "newly dsicovered"?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Good question, and I've been wondering that myself. However, I don't even know how to answer it. I guess it just means people don't travel to different regions a lot, so when they do, everything new they see, they report it to their region as "newly discovered."

Years
  • Good question, and I've been wondering that myself. However, I don't even know how to answer it. I guess it just means people don't travel to different regions a lot, so when they do, everything new they see, they report it to their region as "newly discovered."

Well it seems that the professors are the ones to go to.But its seems Professor Oak has seen most of these pokemon before,Like Suicune and Celebi.So he's not so unfamiliar with Pokemon with other regions.He also seems to be one of the top pokemon experts so when something is found out,the info goes to him.But if he has seen most of these Pokemon.Even Jessie and James have seen other gen pokemon.

Years
  • Blunt as this statement is, it's the truth. >_>

If that was true then the forum would be nothing but 10 yr olds.the peopl paying it would be 10.But its not,its full of people way over 10 and there are plenty of threads made by people asking other questions that are just part of a plothole.And yet the threads get hundreds of views and opnions.So as far as i see it,this one is no different.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Easy in-universe explanation for plotholes: Celebi/Dialga's time travel, and possibly Cyrus attempting to screw with the fundamental forces of the universe, has damaged the space-time continuum and caused temporal paradoxes.

(and for you Doctor Who fans out there, we could extend this theory to Looker being the Doctor and trying to fix things)

Poison Master Tox

Fierce Poison Expert
    Years
  • If that was true then the forum would be nothing but 10 yr olds.the peopl paying it would be 10.But its not,its full of people way over 10 and there are plenty of threads made by people asking other questions that are just part of a plothole.And yet the threads get hundreds of views and opnions.So as far as i see it,this one is no different.

... I didn't say all of the Pokémon gamers were 10 years old. But that's the target audience, like it or not. The main character of each game is 10 years old too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Or try; it's a game with an audience of 10-year olds, so plotholes are not important

But for the older audiences that recognise it, it's a good topic of discussion.

Well it seems that the professors are the ones to go to.But its seems Professor Oak has seen most of these pokemon before,Like Suicune and Celebi.So he's not so unfamiliar with Pokemon with other regions.He also seems to be one of the top pokemon experts so when something is found out,the info goes to him.But if he has seen most of these Pokemon.Even Jessie and James have seen other gen pokemon.

I could understand if legendary Pokemon are said to be "newly discovered." However, if you're including the anime on this, the buck stops here for me; I no longer pay attention to that mess.

Years
  • I dont pay attention to it either..but like I said,Ive been thinking about it for years,it was when the show was still good and fun to watch.

Poison Master Tox

Fierce Poison Expert
    Years
  • Or try; it's a game with an audience of 10-year olds, so plotholes are not important But for the older audiences that recognise it, it's a good topic of discussion.

Err, no, that makes it unnecessary to discuss. They never thought of covering it up; it's like with the Zelda-timeline. Some things are just unneeded to discuss, because you can't come to and answer since there is none.

But if you wanna waste time, go on ahead...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Err, no, that makes it unnecessary to discuss. They never thought of covering it up; it's like with the Zelda-timeline. Some things are just unneeded to discuss, because you can't come to and answer since there is none.

It's still a point of interest for the older fans. There either aren't or there are very few ten-year olds on this forum to even partake in this discussion. Too bad. It's been posted and it's here. Dragging the Zelda series into this isn't going to help clarify anything, either.

But if you wanna waste time, go on ahead...

If anyone's wasting time here, it's you. If you feel there's nothing to discuss in this thread, I don't see why you still bother posting.

I dont pay attention to it either..but like I said,Ive been thinking about it for years,it was when the show was still good and fun to watch.

Well, yeah, it was, but I still don't know how to answer the question on an anime basis. As for the game itself, when you think about it, 1st generation Pokemon are in every region, so there might be a possibility that the others that are introduced along with the new region are the newly discovered Pokemon. There's also a possibility that not all of the new Pokemon were just recently discovered-- only about a handful or so.

Years
  • I dunno,I guess my thought was based more on the anime than anything else.Its like the thing i said about snubull and marril.I know the anime is a mess now but if we think back to when it wasnt such a gang raped disaster then im sure someone could figure it out.Kanto,Orange Islands,Johto were all great but after that it got lame.

Last edited:

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Maybe the Pokémon are just newly discovered for Professor Oak? Perhaps he focused mainly on Kanto until Ash moved on and then broadened his field of study? Perhaps Oak is actually going senile and forgets other regions actually exist until they are brought up. There are tons of possible suggestions although, personally, I like the senile one the best.

shining-Celebi

♥Ashley♥
    Years
  • In the anime, the "new pokemon" have always been there, it's just that Ash and crew hadn't met up with one before.

Ayselipera

Or try; it's a game with an audience of 10-year olds, so plotholes are not important

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say.
    They should probably just say pokemon that weren't native to the previous region.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Some Pokemon hide. Is it too much to think maybe Snubbull and Marill weren't too common and just slipped through the cracks? It happens all the time in real life.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • Maybe the Pokémon are just newly discovered for Professor Oak? Perhaps he focused mainly on Kanto until Ash moved on and then broadened his field of study? Perhaps Oak is actually going senile and forgets other regions actually exist until they are brought up. There are tons of possible suggestions although, personally, I like the senile one the best.

In the celebi movie, proffesser Oak sees celebi as a kid and befriends it. that's like 50-60 years before ash's journey.

Casey333

~Johto Trainer~
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 10, 2018
    I always hated the fact that in one generation, A pokemon would be extremely rare and then all of a sudden everyone has one!

Back