• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames or No Nicknames?

Do you nickname your pokemon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Combee

βύzz!
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 22, 2009
    Just an observation, but judging from the responses it seems like more females like nicknaming their pokemon than males.

I wonder why?

:P Me too, I guess it's because girls are more caring and loving and actually care about their pokemon not about how many games they've won.

FourFourTwo

*used calm mind*
    Years
    • Age 35
    • NYC
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    I only have 2 nicknames:

Umbreon - Chaos (for various reasons... people hate it)
    Breloom - IWILLPWNU ... yes. He will pwn you.

Years
  • I used to nickname my Pokemon, but in Diamond I decided not to so I could learn their names. After I'm more comfortable, I may nickname some. :)

Da Kid J3

Its Da Kid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2010
    i love my pokemon names the way they are i could never give any of them a nickname.

Years
  • I nickname my Pokemon a lot more than I used to. In my Pearl version, I nicknamed every Pokemon on my main team:

Empoleon - Azuria (from "azure")
    Luxray - Raye (from "ray")
    Rapidash - Fiora (derived from "fire")
    Bronzong - Iore (short for "iron ore")
    Drifblim - Ciela (from the French word for "sky"... and I know the fairy character from LoZ: PH has the same name...)
    Roselia - Botane (from "botany")

In my earliest game files, I remember naming my Pokemon after food. Later on, I only gave nicknames to certain Pokemon. My starter has never gotten a nickname until the Pearl version.

Years
  • I only nickname pokemon if I plan on using them a lot or if I just have a good name idea for them. Most of mine have pretty dumb names because they amuse me.

Just to name a few off the top of my head:
    Pickles - Empoleon (named after Pickles the drummer)
    Shocker - Luxray (named after the hand gesture)
    Zazz - Kadabra (another Metalocalypse thing)
    Batley - Zubat (Eureka's castle)
    Pecker - Staravia
    Stabitha - Skarmory
    Atlas - Shiny Machop
    Norbert and Daggett - Bidoof and bibarel
    *Sparkles* - Dialga

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
  • I've never given my Pokemon nicknames, the only ones that I have with nicknames are from the GTS or trading. I don't see the point. xP

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • :] Heh heh.
    Atleast people don't laugh at the nicknames you give your pokemon. :P I've given them cute names and they always get laughed at. -_-

Come to think of it, someone once teased me for nicknaming my Swampert "Skippy"...

I always nickname my Pokemon--it's just so fun! I often ending up nicknaming my Pokemon after various fictional characters, or after real people's names that kind of make sense with their characteristics (i.e. Drapion = Claudia, Bibarel = Beatrice, Azumarill = Bob). The last time I chose to not nickname a Pokemon was way back when I first got Yellow.

I hate it when I get non-nicknamed Pokemon in trades... because then I can't give them nicknames.

Hmm, my Pearl team's nicknames are:

Empoleon: Ukio (character from Samurai 7)
    Purugly: Minerva (character from Harry Potter)
    Luxray: Scar (character from Lion King)
    Roserade: Pierre (a French name is appropriate, since if you look at it from the top, its flowers look like the French flag...)
    Mismagius: Ishandra (in some language or another, it means "to cast", as in a spell)
    Vespiquen: Regina (Italian--I think--for queen)

Last edited:

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • my friend had a Flareon named Daron o_O
    I wonder where he got that?

I LOVE to nickname my Pokemon. when I can think of one X<
    I don't nicknames legends though... I just think it's "disrespectful" for some reason o_O
    Although, I met this one girl who even nicknamed legends O_O

Sometimes, when I'm gonna trade, I force the person to nickname the poke x3 (like I made this one guy get me a female Munchlax and name it MR.Munchy 3)

Years
  • No, not really. I mean I have done so before, but they were either inappropriate names (haha), or numbers for some reason.

firepokemon

Fire and Ice
    Years
  • I haven't played pokemon for years but I never gave my pokemon nicknames then and I wouldn't now. Nicknames are great and all if thats what you're into but I typically like pokemon names already and choose pokemon that I really like, like Charizard and Butterfree and beautiful pokemon like that. I just love Butterfree could I imagine giving that name a pokemon? Absolutely not, it would be dreadful.

I'm also glad that on the pokemon anime front most trainers don't give their pokemon nicknames except for Richie but he was a bit gay.

AJ_wishmaker

Shiny trader
    Years
  • I do for my competitive battles it can be funny at times
    I got tricked once with an Azumarill called Buneary
    I think you need to send out a Wailord called Diglett xD huge difference in size

Berlitz

The Bewildered Summoner
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2013
    Boys are less cute and want to show more manliness so nicknaming isn't fit to them.

Stereotypes. Sigh.

Yours so i'mnotdoing this part anymore,

Miss Berlitz. ~

Decypher

Craig Marshall
    Years
  • I nickname my Pokemon, mainly because it annoys me how there name is always written in capitals, but its also because it can sometimes be fun, thinking up a nickname for a Pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back